Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: Cadence or Cadance? The truth revealed!  (Read 7738 times)

May 13, 2012, 07:28:23 PM
/terribleattemptatexcitingtitle

So, people still appear to be confused over Mi Amore Cadenza's “real” name. Similar to a certain pegasus' name, but this time there's more canon evidence. Let's go over this, shall we?

In the show, all of the characters pronounce her name “KAY-denz”. Well, whaddaya know, this is the correct pronunciation for the English word “Cadence”.

“Cadance” is not an English word, nor a word at all to my knowledge, and thus, its pronunciation is anyone's guess.

Even further, the full name is “Mi Amore Cadenza”, which is Italian for “My Love Cadence”. The Italian word “Cadenza” translates directly to the English word “Cadence”. Still not enough, apparently, as people still claim the name is “Cadance”.

Let's look deeper. Most of the toys' labels read “Cadance”. However, the blindbag card reads “Cadence”. The toys seem to be where most people are getting “Cadance” from, however, it's not the first place that it's been typo'd. According to this list:

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Cadence_or_Cadance%3F

It appears that different parts (such as Facebook, or official websites, etc.) of The Hub and Hasbro seem to be spelling it differently. From what I can see, official sources (such as Jayson / McCarthy; the script for the episode; that little event Hasbro held in Dec. 2011 that gave us the first glance at the “royal wedding” and Cadence) seem to use “Cadence”, while all the toys except the blindbags seem to use “Cadance”, along with The Hub's website and facebook page.

One guess is that there was a disconnect somewhere within the companies, thus different parts of The Hub / Hasbro using different spellings. But still, all show-canon information is pointing towards “Cadence”. Both the pronunciation and the full name are pointing to “Cadence”.

OR, judging from the fact that the majority of the toys have “Cadance”, it could also be that “Cadance” was easier to trademark than “Cadence”, due to “Cadance” not being a real word and all, so they don't have to deal with other trademarks containing “Cadence”.

The MLP Wiki also seems to favor “Cadance”, despite all show canon pointing to “Cadence”. And despite it being mostly "Cadance", there are still a few "Cadence"s in the article. I find this very strange...

But anyways...bottom line, going from SHOW CANON, it's “Cadence”. Not sure why people choose to favor toy/website canon over show canon and call her “Cadance”; isn't it generally accepted that the show itself is the highest source of canon?

TL;DR: Show/officials canon = "Cadence", Toy canon = "Cadance"
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:30:37 PM by Nostalgia Schmaltz »

May 13, 2012, 07:41:31 PM
Reply #1
*eyes spin*

It's the Milro/Mirlo debacle all over again.
Signature in need of ideas at the moment.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code
0130-2037-5404

May 13, 2012, 08:59:53 PM
Reply #2
Since it's really just a nickname, maybe there is no official spelling?

May 14, 2012, 01:21:08 AM
Reply #3
But but...

what about Aerith or Aeris?  :'(

anyways yeah I go for show canon myself. 

May 14, 2012, 01:24:49 AM
Reply #4
The most likely explanation seems to me to be that her name was "Cadence", but then they found out that that wasn't copyrightable, so then they retconned her name to "Cadance".  Which means that it's not really the case that her show canon name is "Cadence"; that's just what her name used to be before legal issues got in the way.

May 14, 2012, 03:07:29 AM
Reply #5
I thought her name was Princess Demandy-pants?

May 14, 2012, 09:09:46 AM
Reply #6
The most likely explanation seems to me to be that her name was "Cadence", but then they found out that that wasn't copyrightable, so then they retconned her name to "Cadance".  Which means that it's not really the case that her show canon name is "Cadence"; that's just what her name used to be before legal issues got in the way.

Fuckin' legal issues, how do they work?

But yeah, that does seem plausible, seeing as EVERY single toy except the blindbags has "Cadance". While at the same time, all of the show/show creators have "Cadence".

So...I guess it boils down to whether or not you prioritize show canon over toy "canon".

May 14, 2012, 11:50:33 AM
Reply #7
I just think of her as Miz Sue... Miz Mary Sue.

But seriously, I don't see why people make such a big deal out of this. At the end of the day its just a cartoon pony.
Now I pulled myself together, had a little chat
With my empty bottle, and this little cat
He'd been hiding, he'd been there for a while
Well I told him how I missed you how you made me feel
And even though that cat wasn't real
He cheered me up and he made me smile

“If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.”
Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat."
Mark Twain

"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well."
Missy Dizick

"I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worth while?" Death thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE."
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

"You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends with strange cats."
Ancient Proverb

May 14, 2012, 01:31:31 PM
Reply #8

May 14, 2012, 01:47:41 PM
Reply #9
Cadenza.
Problem solved.

Which is Italian for "Cadence".

So yes, problem solved, in a perfect world. But nope, people still claim it's "Cadance" because that's what the toys say. And we all know how 110%-accurate the toys are, right?

May 14, 2012, 05:13:17 PM
Reply #10
Well, that's nice to know. I'll call her whatever I end up typing, because it's not like people on here won't know who I'm talking about.

I have no interest in terminal illness romances as a category. I saw someone else describe them as "like watching a puppy playing through the scope of a sniper rifle"

What is next? Yelling “fire” at a theatre or trying to get Westboro Baptist protesters INSIDE the funeral home?

May 14, 2012, 10:18:04 PM
Reply #11
I always thought it was Cadence. I never even knew there was conflict over this.  ???
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

May 14, 2012, 10:32:39 PM
Reply #12
I always thought it was Cadence. I never even knew there was conflict over this.  ???

It's just like the whole Derpy/Ditzy Doo thing. Except here we've got un-refutable canonical evidence for one side; and like I've said, it pretty much boils down to whether you favor show canon or toy "canon".

May 14, 2012, 10:38:09 PM
Reply #13
To be honest, I dont't care. I'll spell it both ways unintentionally anyway.
3DS Friendcode:
2320-6225-0063
EqF Discord Server

Show By Rock!! ID: 784396951
Add me or something.

My Lobi Profile

Your mother was chair making tools. :monster:
[/quote]
goes sleepy*
[/center]
[/spoiler]

May 15, 2012, 02:04:53 AM
Reply #14
It's just like the whole Derpy/Ditzy Doo thing. Except here we've got un-refutable canonical evidence for one side; and like I've said, it pretty much boils down to whether you favor show canon or toy "canon".
Saying the name on the show isn't un-refutable canonical evidence?  ???

May 15, 2012, 06:28:30 AM
Reply #15
Cadance (or Cadence whatever) is just a really lousy name. Some people even call her Candace by mistake. I don't understand why they picked that name for her.

May 15, 2012, 07:59:55 AM
Reply #16
Saying the name on the show isn't un-refutable canonical evidence?  ???
"Oh, it was edited, they edited it out! It's not canon anymore!!"
"Oh, it could just be her nickname! It was just her nickname, her real name is Ditzy Doo!"

Apparently not.

Cadance (or Cadence whatever) is just a really lousy name. Some people even call her Candace by mistake. I don't understand why they picked that name for her.

Well, "Cadence" means, in simple terms, the end part of a musical piece. Not really sure how to connect that with the finale. I dunno, maybe they just thought it sounded nice?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:01:38 AM by Nostalgia Schmaltz »

May 15, 2012, 12:42:23 PM
Reply #17

Well, "Cadence" means, in simple terms, the end part of a musical piece. Not really sure how to connect that with the finale. I dunno, maybe they just thought it sounded nice?
During her duet with Chrysalis, the real Cadence's part was sung in Authentic Cadence, while Chrysalis's part was sung in Deceptive Cadence.

May 15, 2012, 01:13:34 PM
Reply #18
During her duet with Chrysalis, the real Cadence's part was sung in Authentic Cadence, while Chrysalis's part was sung in Deceptive Cadence.

Yeah, there is that, but I don't think they'd base a major character's name off of a small reference like that, that most people won't even know it's there without having it pointed out.

May 15, 2012, 01:24:54 PM
Reply #19
Yeah, there is that, but I don't think they'd base a major character's name off of a small reference like that, that most people won't even know it's there without having it pointed out.
They made a fan name canon, so I wouldn't put it past them.

May 15, 2012, 02:11:44 PM
Reply #20
They made a fan name canon, so I wouldn't put it past them.

Er...apples and oranges. ???

May 15, 2012, 02:49:13 PM
Reply #21
Really? o_O I thought she was named after the musical term, Cadance. Cadances are 'full stops' at the end of a song.

Perfect Cadance=The ending of a song that actualy sounds finished.
Imperfect Cadance=The ending of a song that doesn't sound finished at all.

I remembered both of those terms for my exam, by imagining Princess Cadance as 'perfect' and Chrysalis' Cadance form as 'imperfect'. MLP can be useful sometimes.  XD

May 15, 2012, 03:20:20 PM
Reply #22
Really? o_O I thought she was named after the musical term, Cadance. Cadances are 'full stops' at the end of a song.

Perfect Cadance=The ending of a song that actualy sounds finished.
Imperfect Cadance=The ending of a song that doesn't sound finished at all.

I remembered both of those terms for my exam, by imagining Princess Cadance as 'perfect' and Chrysalis' Cadance form as 'imperfect'. MLP can be useful sometimes.  XD

It's spelled "Cadence". "Cadance" is not a word. Maybe all these people are just misspelling it?

May 15, 2012, 03:58:14 PM
Reply #23
Thanks for bringing this up, Nost. I screwed up someone's post on a different topic with this and have felt bad since.

In the end "cadance" is not a word. It's a variation on a name. It defeats the purpose of Equestrian names, which signify the characters personal magic and mark, to just give them a "sound alike" name for the purposes of copyrighting.

The show's canon is superior to the toy canon. As far as I'm concerned the media in which the canon is presented has first say, and since none of use were buying toys before the show... well, there ya' go.

I called her Cadence at first, but now I'm liking Cadenza. Both mean the same thing of course, as mentioned above! ;)

May 15, 2012, 04:34:03 PM
Reply #24
I saw it misspelled as "Candance" a lot early on and I choose to believe it to be that if for no reason other than it sounds funny.

"That Princess Candance sure can dance"