August 01, 2014, 10:53:20 AM

Author Topic: Rescue from Midnight Castle  (Read 4061 times)

Offline Dashell

Rescue from Midnight Castle
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:57:14 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Ll5zaPcIE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Ll5zaPcIE</a>

So what did you all think of the pilot?  I thought it was pretty dark... honesty I thought the pacing was off too,.  It could have easily been an hour, but I really liked the Sea Ponies.  I hope we see more of them.  How about you guys?

Re: Rescue from Midnight Castle
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:55:25 PM »
To be honest, this is the only thing of the 80s Pony stuff that I like. Frankly, I felt this should have been the movie. The pacing was way off...because this should have been longer than a half-hour.

I liked the character of Firefly.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:28:40 AM »
This was a pretty entertaining pilot. Wish they used this animation for the TV series.

Offline stoneth

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 08:19:59 AM »
This original special was awesome, in my opinion. I felt it was better than the movie and the villains were better. No offense, Draggle. :)

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 10:18:52 AM »
this wasn't that bad

I love the sea ponies, they're so cute and retarded

I liked Scorpan better when he was an ugly beast, not a prince ewwww

Megan also isn't bad for a character that exists solely for the viewers to self-project onto (then again that's because she's a teenager and not some brat that whines a lot)

Applejack 'n Glory sittin' in a tree...also haha I knew she was going to fall from the bridge, WHO'S A SILLY PONY INDEED

that stupid gnome needs to fuck off and his song sucked

the other songs were surprisingly okay though

Offline stoneth

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 11:07:41 AM »
I liked Scorpan better when he was an ugly beast, not a prince ewwww

Wholeheartedly agreed. You know ... just by the original TV special, if it weren't for the over abundance of female characters, MLP could have passed as a boy's cartoon.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:11:31 AM by stoneth »

Offline Draggle

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 01:08:01 PM »
This original special was awesome, in my opinion. I felt it was better than the movie and the villains were better. No offense, Draggle. :)

None taken.  I really don't think either are better.  They're almost like different genres and comparing them is odd.

Offline Glory

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 01:25:22 PM »
Look out Twilight, here ah goooooooooooooooooooo!

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 01:34:58 PM »
"I wish, I wish..."

Also, was there anything anywhere that said something about Twilight and the baby pony Ember? I kept thinking she was her daughter or little sister. :/

Offline The Descendant

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 08:14:08 PM »
So, I've decided that just as my final contribution to the April Fool's Forum skin I'd actually sit and watch a G1 cartoon. I choose this one. Here's my running commentary...

0:54 Somebody lie to me and tell me that this "Twilight" climbing the hill wasn't the inspiration scene for FiM's "Twilight" climbing the hill in "Winter Wrap-Up". ???

1:15 There's absolutely no way I'll be able to watch the rest of this without hearing FiM's Rainbow Dash as G1's Firefly...

1:47 I'm not into shipping, but I'd pay cash money...possibly sell some internal organs, to see this scene among any of the FiM main cast.

2:12 "And by 'special' I mean probably work in the service industry."

2:20-3:20 Well, that was...rather more disturbing than I had been lead to believe.

3:39 Spike...huh.

3:52 Unspeakable hidden beating horror...now in a convenient carry-on bag!

4:42 Hyo-Muns! No! No I say!

5:55 "Everybody else though thinks you're useless deadweight."

6:02 I skip ahead to 7:25

7:34 In the medieval period lead oxide was used to make red paint. If it faded to pink that means it's gotten old, and has probably started to flake off. That means that the moat is now an industrial brown-site and somebody should stop Ember from eating the paint chips.

7:42 "Wonderful! You've brought us some kind of hideous monster from beyond the gates of our world! My gawd, two legs! I'll have nightmares for weeks!"

8:00 Yeah, big help she was...

8:22 Okay! Here it comes! The Sonic Rain Boom!...awwww...

8:25 Huh...that was...interesting. Chivalric!

8:51 Firefly: "I know, right!? With that upright walking stance, those two legs...it's horrific...Ooops, I mean..."

9:05 Meanwhile, at Wayne Manor!

9:12 Looks like a re-used "He-Man" Castle Greyskull interior shot.

9:20-10:19 Holy crap, this is a lot more disturbing than was originally indicated!

10:20 The what lives where?!

10:30 O.S.H.A. in-compliant bridge is in-compliant.

10:50 Good job Meghan! And then they drowned...The End.

11:00 Wut.

11:01 I skip to 12:10

12:20 Someday our cell-phones will be this small...we will lose them constantly.

12:23 Why does it look like their physical existence causes them un-ending pain?

12:35 "...the Paths of the Dead always, wait..."

12:40 "Wow, usually we have to eat them first before the colored lights begin."

12:55 "Stumble around in the dark for all eternity? I already have a Liberal Arts degree!"

13:08 "Rainbow of Darkness? Don't you need light to even make a rainb..."
          "RAINBOW Of DARKNESS!"
          "If you say so..."

13:24 "Vaguely competent help?"

13:24 So...every rainbow, ever?

13:34 Does the over-alls wearing rabbit ever get named, cause if not I'm calling him Angel from now on out of habit.

13:45 I was going to skip ahead, but the opportunity to see what the interior of a magic gnome's fungus filled abode looks like was far too tempting.

15:48 I can't tell you how many times I've done that.

16:02 "The Unblinking Eye!"

16:16 The sea ponies take one look at that deep dark rapids, laugh, and swim off...

16:39 "He frickin' hates that, funny to watch though!"

16:50 Stealth obviously not a prominent G1 trait.

16:57 Somebody needs to make me a diagram of how he's sitting in that chair.

17:04 Tirac: "No, I will not stop using the echo effect! It makes me sound sinister!"

17:05 Scorpan begins wondering if there's villain slots available on Thundercats.

17:13 "Scorpan!"
          "Stella!"
          "Chief!"
          "McCloud!"

18:25 I'm in favor of this heel/face turn.

19:05 This is the part where I admit this is more awesome than was first indicated.

19:17 At any point in his plummet did Scorpan think, "Wow, perhaps I should flap my wings?"

20:12 "I...have...the...power!" *Copyright Infringement Lawsuit*

20:35 So, if that's the Rainbow of Darkness, and the other is the Rainbow of Light, are we seeing...A Double Rainbow!

20:46 Okay, yeah...slightly more epic than indicated.

20:59 Then again...

21:16 "And a lot less awesome in human form...horrible monsters, oops, I mean..."

21:25 And ever shall you be...that is your curse and blessing!

21:31 And then she drowned...The End.

Well, yes, better than expected.

FiM is still, at bare minimum, 20% cooler though.

Offline fluttershy

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 09:15:45 PM »
11:01 I skip to 12:10

watch the seaponies song, damned you :o
humty dumty sat on the wall
humty dumty had a great fall
humty stood up and rubbed her head
....humty dumty was never an egg
Spoiler for clicky if your feeling low :):
support thread;
http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,5792.0.html
this thread contains allot of useful information about support hotlines and the likes. There is also a list of members who have expressed that you can contact them if you need someone to talk to. My contact details are there with the others or donít be shy to pm me

Spoiler for OC and random stuff:
Spoiler for fluttershy:

Spoiler for boomai:

Spoiler for best pony <3:
stoneth - I propose a Fluttershy fan club.
Derpy Hooves - umm... AGREED 110%!!! Fluttershy is just awesome and we Seriously should make a FanClub for her!! She's just so kind, nice, caring, adorable and cuteeee :3 I luvv her personality lol :3
FlamingLight - Thji too agree 110%!! Go Fluttershy!
<3
nothing can stop the spooge

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 05:06:42 AM »
If the story could not hold back it could have been nice. This pilot was too rushed on storytelling and of course let's not forget it's legendary mistakes. I don't expect much from a cartoon that came from the Dark Ages of Animation (something I learned in History of ANimation)

Although to give it credit... It tried... although not on the later episodes.

Offline OliviaAurora

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 04:45:31 PM »
This comment will be old since I actually watched this quite a while ago, but I'll post my initial reaction:

"Considering I was expecting a twenty-two minute tea party, this was kind of depressing, disturbing, and....awesome..."

Also, 16:00 - 20:00 is one of the most awesome final fights you will ever find in an 80s cartoon for little girls. And even though I'm a guy, and in high school...as a fan of FiM, I felt my heart break a little when Applejack got turned into a demon/dragon. I kind of wish it hadn't happened, but I feel like had it not, my viewing experience watching this wouldn't have been nearly as good...
CURRENT PROJCET:
Rebuild: The End of Flutter Valley
Please check it out! Critique! Suggest! Avast! ...wait, scratch that last part...

Also check out Al-1701's project, My Little Pony Legends!
http://mlplegends.blogspot.com/

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 04:54:18 PM »
And the 80s cartoons of this are all disappointments from here, David.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 07:04:13 PM »
I still like this pilot but it's still disappointing to me.

I'm probably very spoiled and didn't grow up with things like this (oMG BACK IN MY DAY, THERE WAS EITHER *A* STORY, OR NONE AT ALL!!11!!1), so when I watch it I just wonder shit like:

What is this place?
Who are these characters?
What are those monsters and why do the ponies know what they are?
Did Firefly specifically know where to "get help" or what?
What is so special about Megan?
Is TJ a "special" pony or not, and why?

etc. etc. etc. I can only remember the first half but I'm sure the first two questions can apply to the rest :|

I know it looks like I'm thinking "too deep" but really, you (usually) don't show all these things and expect people to instantly get it. ::)

Offline Draggle

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 11:01:54 PM »
Well, Skin Pony, I thought Narnia was more magical back when I read the one book everyone knows.  When I read its prequel, the origins of everything explained, the series lost its charm.   I think it's best we don't know everything about fantasy lands. 

Offline Mele Kalikimaka

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 12:33:12 PM »
I actually watched this last night, just to say I did.

Firefly makes it sound like bringing the Meghan along is important. Aside from yelling at the baddies from a safe distance...what does she do? Well, she jumps in after Applejack I guess...but what exactly was her plan to rescue a pony 10 times her weight from a 100-foot ravine? Then she tosses away that shell the sea ponies gave her even though they never exactly told her how to use it...

Why does Scorpan care so much about Spike? Why is a 3 foot-tall smiling technicolor dragon hanging around with the spawn of Satan? Why is there a human prince in the land of talking horses? Does what's-his-face have any particular motivation to create everlasting night? Luna did...

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 01:12:03 PM »
Firefly makes it sound like bringing the Meghan along is important. Aside from yelling at the baddies from a safe distance...what does she do?

I believe it.

Ponymian Rhapsody

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 10:23:04 PM »
I thought it was okay.  I agree with all the complaints everyone else has pointed out but I still thought it was more enjoyable than the Movie.  Better plot, less annoying songs, villains are threatening.  Also, I find the 'shooby-doo-woo' call of the sea-ponies terrifying and ominous for some reason.

Also we had a pony named Twlight who looked a lot like Twi's mom from Cutie Mark Chronicles.  Now I can't help but refer to Celestia's student as Twilight Sparkle Jr.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:28:11 PM by Bronymian Rhapsody »

Offline Al-1701

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 06:24:25 AM »
Yeah.  My only complaint about is it should have been longer (like 3 or 5 parts like the Transformers and G.I. Joe pilots.)  They could have explained the world a little more, introduced the characters a little more, and have more fun with it all.
Signature in need of ideas at the moment.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code
0130-2037-5404

Ponymian Rhapsody

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 08:31:43 AM »
I think anything more than two episodes would force the writers to pad things out.

Offline Al-1701

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 09:49:01 AM »
There was plenty to pad out with.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code
0130-2037-5404

Ponymian Rhapsody

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 09:54:30 AM »
Oh no no no, padding - adding things of no context to a film simply to reach a time limit.  Reference MLP The Movie.  The story of Midnight  Castle is fine, we only needed more information on each scene, not more scenes.

Offline Al-1701

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »
They could have expanded the context.  A short origin story would have been nice.  Some proper introductions to the ponies and their relationships would have been nice.  Some side adventures would have also been nice to introduce us more to this world.

You're right, the movie was 75% pointless filler, however it didn't need to be.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code
0130-2037-5404

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 10:26:08 AM »
I watched this today, and it was fun to see how Twilight, Firefly, Applejack and Spike were like! The seaponies were nice, I liked their song.  ;)
Avatar made by Pinecone, thanks so much!
Spoiler for Personality Test: