July 23, 2014, 10:32:30 AM

Author Topic: Are the Mane 6 still the Elements of Harmony  (Read 344 times)

Are the Mane 6 still the Elements of Harmony
« on: December 07, 2013, 05:46:10 PM »
Way back in Season 1 the Mane 6 found the Elements of Harmony but they were destroyed by Nightmare Moon but it was revealed that the Mane 6 were the Elements of Harmony...well they were said to be the spirits of the Elements of Harmony specifically.  It was never explicitly stated but implied that the Mane 6 were something akin to the Equine embodiments of the Elements and generally in the fandom they are viewed as being the Elements themselves corpus elementum if you will.  :monster:

Anyway, with the Elements of Harmony (the jewels) back in the Tree of Harmony, what does that mean for the Mane 6?  Do we still consider them the Elements of Harmony or what?

Me, I still think of them as the Elements cause the Elements of Harmony Jewels still look like the Mane 6's Cutie Marks, though the Element of Magic apparently always looked like Twi's Cutie Mark.  :D 

Spoiler for on the screen, in the show...:

...Thus Equestria Girls is canon, so...

Spoiler for Deal with it...:

Offline Mirage Seraph

Re: Are the Mane 6 still the Elements of Harmony
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:04:48 PM »
Hard to say, I'd say "no" until we learn more about the box though. They're regarded as the "Bearers" of the Elements, but with no Elements to bear then they're no longer the Bearers.... But since anything could be in that box, who knows?

Spoiler for Contact Me:
Steam: Mirage Seraph
League of Legends: Mirage Seraph
MirageSeraph@Gmail.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/adrian.taylor.568?ref=tn_tnmn

Please message me on EQF before contacting me.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 06:45:52 PM »
Hard to say, I'd say "no" until we learn more about the box though. They're regarded as the "Bearers" of the Elements, but with no Elements to bear then they're no longer the Bearers.... But since anything could be in that box, who knows?

True though the fact that they reformed the jewels does suggest to me they were/are more than just the "bearers" like Celestia and Luna were.

Offline Mihai_94

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 06:54:34 PM »
I think there's something more sofisticated behind the mystery box which relates to the elements both jewels and mane 6 :P
Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing.

Offline Archlyn

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 08:01:13 PM »
Yes, the mane 6 are still the elements of harmony.  If for any reason they had to dig the elements back out of the tree, the mane 6 are still the only ponies who can wield their power. 

Nitpick:
I never liked the idea of calling the mane 6 "the elements of harmony" though.  To me they're the bearers of the elements and those pretty jewels were the actual elements.
3DS Friend Code:2766-9304-5179

Spoiler for Pony Personality test:

I will say I miss the old creed of Love & Tolerance, and I'm gonna keep it alive till the end.

The Last Long Night has been updated - chapter 4 is out!

My pony fiction!

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 08:55:09 AM »
Yes, the mane 6 are still the elements of harmony.  If for any reason they had to dig the elements back out of the tree, the mane 6 are still the only ponies who can wield their power. 

Nitpick:
I never liked the idea of calling the mane 6 "the elements of harmony" though.  To me they're the bearers of the elements and those pretty jewels were the actual elements.

There has been a debate about that point for some time now but nothing conclusive has ever been stated as of yet.

I do wonder how this will effect how we talk about the Mane 6 though.  Before it was common place to point out something like Rarity being the Element of Generosity but not acting generous (which is WRONG! but that's a discussion for another thread) or the like.  Will we still say stuff like that?

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 09:09:05 AM »
Well I think so even tho they returned the elements to the tree. Now they have to find six keys to see what's in the box.

Offline Archlyn

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 01:25:08 PM »
There has been a debate about that point for some time now but nothing conclusive has ever been stated as of yet.

I do wonder how this will effect how we talk about the Mane 6 though.  Before it was common place to point out something like Rarity being the Element of Generosity but not acting generous (which is WRONG! but that's a discussion for another thread) or the like.  Will we still say stuff like that?

Debate about what exactly? Whether to call the mane six the elements directly? Or wether or not they are still the elements even without their accessories?

---

Castle Mane-ia showed that Rarity continues to act now as she has always acted in any episode where she isn't the focus.  Take that for what you will; as you said that's a debate for another thread.
3DS Friend Code:2766-9304-5179

Spoiler for Pony Personality test:

I will say I miss the old creed of Love & Tolerance, and I'm gonna keep it alive till the end.

The Last Long Night has been updated - chapter 4 is out!

My pony fiction!

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 06:53:52 PM »
Debate about what exactly? Whether to call the mane six the elements directly? Or wether or not they are still the elements even without their accessories?

The prier.  It wasn't a huge thing but some fans consider the Mane 6 to BE the Elements of Harmony while others see them as the BEARERS of the Elements of Harmony.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 07:12:46 PM »
The prier.  It wasn't a huge thing but some fans consider the Mane 6 to BE the Elements of Harmony while others see them as the BEARERS of the Elements of Harmony.

Huh, I wasn't aware that was even a debate.

I can't find any dialogue in the show that uses "The Elements of Harmony" to refer to anything but the gems/jewelry; and the establishing lines in S1E2 were "because the spirits of The Elements of Harmony are right here. [...] Applejack [...] represents the spirit of honesty" and so forth. Not anything about them being the element of honesty, etc.

I'm fine with omitting "bearer of" in ordinary fan discussions, but that doesn't seem to reflect any deeper thruth in-universe; it is merely a practical elision.
Henning Makholm
OC descriptions here (ask them!)
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 08:59:58 PM »
Huh, I wasn't aware that was even a debate.

I can't find any dialogue in the show that uses "The Elements of Harmony" to refer to anything but the gems/jewelry; and the establishing lines in S1E2 were "because the spirits of The Elements of Harmony are right here. [...] Applejack [...] represents the spirit of honesty" and so forth. Not anything about them being the element of honesty, etc.

I'm fine with omitting "bearer of" in ordinary fan discussions, but that doesn't seem to reflect any deeper thruth in-universe; it is merely a practical elision.

It's those lines you quoted that led to the notion that the Elements of Harmony and the Mane 6 are one and the same.  The fact that the Jewels reform into their Cutie Marks and that they reform around the Mane 6 at all does support the idea since I seems unlikely something like that would just happen to six random mares. :-\

Offline Snowy Flanks

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 01:50:08 AM »
Of course they are, my headcanon is that the gems are focusing devices and the power is in the hearts...this will be revealed when the box is opened in the season finale

Snowy Flanks
Spoiler for Hiden:

Species: Unicorn
Appearance: Average unicorn pony with blue coat and lighter blue mane. Chipped horn and ragged ear.
Hails from: Unknown
Current Location: Ponyville
Personality: Patient, Quiet, Calm
-Good traits: Cool under pressure, Likes to help others in need.
-Bad traits: Does not like people touching his back. Sometimes mentally checks out. Can't always tell when something is better of not said.
Abilities: Can make snow from the moisture in the air as well as survive in cold temperatures
Weaknesses: Is rather susceptible to heat waves.

Special Talents: Making snow cones
Hobby: Inventing new flavours for his frozen treats

Offline Domino

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 09:28:19 PM »
My thing is that they're just embodiments, not the Elements themselves. Regardless of whether or not they gave the Elements to the Tree, they would still simply be the image for them, the figurehead.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” -Steven Brust

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 01:47:28 AM »
Wow, I really like this idea. I don't personally subscribe that putting the elements (or whatever the necklaces and the crown things are) back into the tree gives back the elements from the Mane Six; they're already tied to their element. Giving back their necklace seem to me that it just means they can't channel their element; it doesn't mean their not connected to their element anymore.
Although, Appley did pose concern that their friendship connection would be hampered by giving the elements back to the Tree of Harmony, so they'rs that. But wait! The Mane Six didn't start with the necklaces; they were connected to their element before Twilight gave them the actual necklace.
That is quite an interesting point.
So! Overall, I'd have to say that each of the Mane Six probably are the corporeal incarnation of the actual element, and the necklace is just the way the Mane Six channel their element.
 :ajcutiebig: :fswink  :ppmmmm :rrlipbite:  :rdpickleeye

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 03:03:33 AM »
probly not :-\

Offline HoofBitingActionOverload

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 04:23:24 PM »
I'm not sure that the Mane 6 actually were the Elements of Harmony, just the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony. As Mirage Seraph said, they can't really do that without any Elements to bear. The connection between them and the Elements was never very clear, and it lead to some weird inconsistencies. Character wise, they're probably better off without them.