Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 1x10 - Swarm of the Century  (Read 5125 times)

June 14, 2011, 06:36:00 AM
Why the omission? I loved the episode! Pinkie Pie's randomness saved the day, yay!  :lol:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:49:05 AM by The Derpy One »

June 14, 2011, 07:20:37 AM
Reply #1
One of my favorites

June 14, 2011, 09:27:35 AM
Reply #2
I dunno. I found it to be sort of "meh".
Not the worst, but not the best.

June 14, 2011, 10:50:00 PM
Reply #3
i thought it was sort of middle of the road I guess...Over all, I'd probably rank it a little higher then I do Stare Master.

June 15, 2011, 01:07:42 AM
Reply #4
It was a decent episode, imho.

And surprising too, that of all people, Pinkie Pie knew how to get rid of the parasprites, when even the most studious pony in Ponyville, a well-seasoned traveler, and even the ruler of Equestria, did not. You'd wonder what kind of training she'd got being the daughter of a rock farmer.  :lol:

Unfortunately, the resolution was um, pretty dicey to me. Did they just basically dumped all the genetically magically-modified pests into a pristine forest, where they'll probably eat the whole place to non-existence? Out of sight, out of mind, problem solved? Of course, I might be thinking too much about a kiddie cartoons.  ;)

June 15, 2011, 04:48:21 AM
Reply #5
Holy crap, I didn't notice we left this one out! Good catch.

Unfortunately, the resolution was um, pretty dicey to me. Did they just basically dumped all the genetically magically-modified pests into a pristine forest, where they'll probably eat the whole place to non-existence? Out of sight, out of mind, problem solved? Of course, I might be thinking too much about a kiddie cartoons.  ;)

It's the Everfree Forest, I'm sure it can handle a few Parasprites, especially since *gasp* plants grow all on their own! Besides, we have no idea where they came from anyway, Parasprites might be natives to the forest for all we know.

June 15, 2011, 06:51:13 AM
Reply #6
Holy crap, I didn't notice we left this one out! Good catch.

It's the Everfree Forest, I'm sure it can handle a few Parasprites, especially since *gasp* plants grow all on their own! Besides, we have no idea where they came from anyway, Parasprites might be natives to the forest for all we know.

Oh, that's right.
And no worries about the forest's fauna too, considering they can take care of the themselves without any pony's help (and that just ain't normal... *shudder*).

June 15, 2011, 07:52:12 AM
Reply #7
If I had to choose a favorite episode, this would be it. It showcases my favorite character perfectly and also illustrates the characters other members of the mane six. Twilight continues to try to keep everything organized and under control - even when all hell has broken loose. Rainbow Dash's impulsive narcissism (and sheer flying awesomeness), Applejack's determination, Rarity's breakdown of sanity, and Fluttershy's addiction to cute animals are all featured in this episode.

The plot and storyline are also great in this episode. The only thing missing is a great musical number to go along with it.

June 15, 2011, 09:56:43 AM
Reply #8
missing a music number? pinkie pie was a one-pony band. I think that was a great music number XD

June 22, 2011, 03:46:02 PM
Reply #9
This was one of the first episodes I saw.  It really has that cute kiddish feel without being too over kiddish.  I absolutely adored Pinkie in this episode as well and I think this episode made her into my favorite.  Also love Twilights, "We need to build an exact copy of ponyvillie over there... we have less than a minute..."

Poor Twilight, but I'm sure Princess Celestia would have understood why everything looked like hell when she came.  At least I'd like to think she'd help out :monster:

June 22, 2011, 05:00:10 PM
Reply #10
I guess that this is my duty

June 22, 2011, 11:35:25 PM
Reply #11
Parasprites are like so cute!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry for this Pinkie Pie moment. It had to be done!

June 22, 2011, 11:55:35 PM
Reply #12
I guess that this is my duty

I love every parasprite!
Wow. Just... wow.  :o

June 23, 2011, 12:05:26 AM
Reply #13
*dies*
I'm going to add those to the store... holy shit

not sure who they all are though

June 23, 2011, 04:03:28 AM
Reply #14
*dies*
I'm going to add those to the store... holy shit

not sure who they all are though

You can just click the parasprite image and it will get you to the source.

June 23, 2011, 04:31:38 AM
Reply #15

NOO, COVERED IN PARASPRITES! GET THEM OFF ME!

June 25, 2011, 08:54:39 AM
Reply #16
We could make a show called My Little Parasprite!

August 15, 2011, 06:56:42 PM
Reply #17
I love how Pinkie ends up being the hero at the end of this episode, and in such an adorable way. Pinkie is awesome.

August 16, 2011, 12:02:17 AM
Reply #18
I, honestly, did not like this episode much.  This whole thing could have been easily avoided if they had just listened to Pinkie Pie.  I know that was the lesson, but it seemed so OBVIOUS that Pinkie Pie knew something was up.  If they didn't dismiss her so quickly...  I mean, Pinkie Pie's random nature doesn't help, and her attempts to GET ponies to help her backfired big time, but still, I'd say it's fairly obvious that Pinkie Pie was familiar with the creatures nopony else knew about.

Even Princess Celestia!  Wouldn't you think the Princess would know all there is to know about Equestria and it's inhabitants?

Well, whatever, Pinkie Pie's one-pony band made me smile at the end.  Too bad Ponyville was destroyed as well.

August 16, 2011, 01:29:36 AM
Reply #19
I, honestly, did not like this episode much.  This whole thing could have been easily avoided if they had just listened to Pinkie Pie.  I know that was the lesson, but it seemed so OBVIOUS that Pinkie Pie knew something was up.  If they didn't dismiss her so quickly...  I mean, Pinkie Pie's random nature doesn't help, and her attempts to GET ponies to help her backfired big time, but still, I'd say it's fairly obvious that Pinkie Pie was familiar with the creatures nopony else knew about.

Even Princess Celestia!  Wouldn't you think the Princess would know all there is to know about Equestria and it's inhabitants?

Well, whatever, Pinkie Pie's one-pony band made me smile at the end.  Too bad Ponyville was destroyed as well.

Well, you know Trollestia. ^_~

August 16, 2011, 02:09:06 PM
Reply #20
...Oh, ho!  Now I get it.  She really DOES know about the creatures...  just feinting ignorance.

She WOULD think cute little critters that eat everything are adorable.

August 16, 2011, 02:25:40 PM
Reply #21

I agree that it was sort of obvious as a viewer that pinkie knew something but that is as a veiwer. We have only seen her what 26 or so times? Imagine living with her everyday and her randomness. Eventually you too would begin to disregard alot of what she says. This act itself is kind of mean which is why I guess that was the lesson of the day. PIE! *slams pie in face

August 16, 2011, 03:44:23 PM
Reply #22
Sometimes, I have trouble distinguishing if I'm thinking this because I'm a view, or if I'm saying this because I'm genre savvy, or if I really do think this makes sense in context.

Granted, Pinkie Pie DOES do random stuff, and trust me, I've seen how random she can get...

But even I had to raise an eyebrow at her reaction to reaction to the parasprites.  While everyone else adored how cute they were, she just ran off going to find a trombone.  At first glance, this seems random, but if you'll notice, she seems angry for some reason.  I wouldn't dismiss angry like that...  And even if she does random things, I would usually question why she does what she does, even if her explanations don't make sense.

September 27, 2013, 09:03:43 PM
Reply #23
*BUMP*

EqD's post on Swarm of the Century:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/09/1066-days-of-pony-swarm-of-century.html

Yeah, I don't like this episode either.  Like CR! said in his review of the episode:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/cr/crspecials/35201-ram-swarm-of-the-century

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFnwjOT01yE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFnwjOT01yE</a>

My problem with it wasn't JUST the fact that the ponies didn't bother listening to Pinkie Pie, but that Pinkie Pie in no way at all made it clear that what she was doing was going to help.  All she EVER said was "Stop what you're doing, help me find instruments!"  Not ONCE did she ever say what the instruments were for, or even how they'd help get rid of the Parasprites!  Hell, the way she acted, no wonder her friends just thought she was crazy!  Yeah, it's good to listen to your friends, but if there is a crisis going on, and your friend isn't making it clear that she knows what she's doing and that it's definitely going to help, why WOULD you take the time to listen to her?

...I'd also like to say that, while a lot of people like M.A. Larson, and while I DO think he's one of the better writers on the show, I don't tend to like his episodes all that much, for one reason or another (especially when he writes for Fluttershy).  This one is probably one of his weaker episodes...  which speaks a lot about how good of a writer he is, because, miscommunication aside, it's a pretty solid episode overall.

September 28, 2013, 05:02:20 AM
Reply #24
My problem with it wasn't JUST the fact that the ponies didn't bother listening to Pinkie Pie, but that Pinkie Pie in no way at all made it clear that what she was doing was going to help.  All she EVER said was "Stop what you're doing, help me find instruments!"  Not ONCE did she ever say what the instruments were for, or even how they'd help get rid of the Parasprites!  Hell, the way she acted, no wonder her friends just thought she was crazy!

Yeah ... it looks like the writers needed the mane 5 to act unreasonably in order to get to deliver their message -- but then became so carried away with creating some internal reasons for them to act in that way that it ceased being unreasonable at all.

Makes me wonder whether the overall idea was had by the same writer who ended up penning the details of how Pinkie behaved.
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.