27 (32.1%)
3 stars... alright
20 (23.8%)
2 stars, not that good
6 (7.1%)
1 star, terrible
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 1x15 - Feeling Pinkie Keen  (Read 20966 times)

February 12, 2011, 05:00:17 AM
Reply #25
By the way when Twilight charged the hydra and tripped it over itself. Was I the only one going? GET ON THE HYDRA'S BACK TWILIGHT!
Nope, I was, that's why I posted the vid :monster:

February 12, 2011, 06:11:50 AM
Reply #26
But in truth Twilight needs to hit it with golden plates, and it takes her forever to figure that one out. I was actually surprised to see something as threatening as a hydra.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:18:25 AM by WeirdRaptor »
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage

February 12, 2011, 12:34:41 PM
Reply #27
I was a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle disappointed in this episode. I love Pinkie and all, but she tends to grate on my nerves after too much exposure. (I'm sorry Pinkie! I really am!) I was a little confused about the message, too. My boyfriend was playing COD while I was watching it and at the end he said, "Was that basically enforcing religion?" That was my initial thought, too, but like others have said, I think we're just reading too much into it. I think the writers could have worded this episode's moral better.

That being said, some things that stood out to me:

At the end, after Pinkie and Twilight are laughing with the umbrella hats on, Twilight walks over to Spike and like shoves the paper in his hands closer to him. It made me laugh because it was like "WRITE, DAMMIT!"

Twilight evolved into Rapidash!

A HYDRA! I don't know why, but I'm really glad that they use awesome mythological creatures in the series. Manticores, griffins, hydras, DRAGONS? Sooooo cooool!

Also...

February 12, 2011, 02:20:17 PM
Reply #28
You know.... is true of something. The world has unexplained things but is our choice to believe or not and accept it.

Th episode kinda reminded me of an episode of Futurama, the episode where Proffesor Farnsworth creates Cubert and then tell him about how he created inventions but impossible to explain how it works.

February 12, 2011, 03:52:33 PM
Reply #29
Anything Prof. Farnsworth has ever done is better explained than Pinkie's Pinkie Sense. It's not that I chose not to buy into the Pinkie, it's that I can't. It's too stupid. On top of that, the "just believe" moral has never gone over well with me, especially when it's something stupid like this If they could offer up some kind of explanation of hadn't played it up so much, I might have been okay with it, but again have I ask why the Pinkie Senses thing never came up before. Plenty of spills, door slams and such have happened. Why wasn't she going nuts then?
I much prefer episodes that say "just have faith" that offer up something substantial for the belief to back it up.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:03:17 PM by WeirdRaptor »
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

February 12, 2011, 04:11:13 PM
Reply #30
I wouldn't say that, Twilight did all she could to attempt to decipher what was going on, and came up empty hooved.

After all, if you encounter a phenomenon that doesn't make total scientific sense, but may benefit you in many ways, who cares if you can't figure it out?

February 12, 2011, 06:00:07 PM
Reply #31
Yeah, but name one as ridiculous as the Pinkie Sense. Sorry, but this one just doesn't do it for me.

February 12, 2011, 06:02:26 PM
Reply #32
From what I heard on /co/ Faust said it had nothing to do with religion, and that it was just about having faith in your friends. Like believing or having faith that you'll get through something because your friends believe in you. Basically in Gurren Lagann terms the Kamina affect. Pinkie was basically saying "Believe in me who believes in you."

She's also saying that she's getting nervous about even talking to her fans cause of how much they're reading into things. I hope she doesn't stop interacting with the fans cause of the crazier side of the fandom coming out.

BANNED

February 12, 2011, 06:13:43 PM
Reply #33
Now, believeing in your friends I can get behind. Still don't like the Pinkie Senses, though.

February 12, 2011, 06:16:46 PM
Reply #34
From what I heard on /co/ Faust said it had nothing to do with religion, and that it was just about having faith in your friends. Like believing or having faith that you'll get through something because your friends believe in you. Basically in Gurren Lagann terms the Kamina affect. Pinkie was basically saying "Believe in me who believes in you."

She's also saying that she's getting nervous about even talking to her fans cause of how much they're reading into things. I hope she doesn't stop interacting with the fans cause of the crazier side of the fandom coming out.

I've been keeping my eye on those developments as well, luckily things are dying down and the pony threads are beginning to resemble what they once were again. Still, it sucks that she felt so under pressure and got bombarded with comments- not what anyone needs when they're busy making the show and end up with a ton of crap on DeviantART. Funny thing is, I decided to watch the episode again with that in mind and I found that the message they intended does seem more obvious now. Lauren Faust seems to think it was the ambiguity of the closing comments by Twilight that caused the ruckus, and I have to agree, she even said that it could've been more specific.

February 12, 2011, 06:24:57 PM
Reply #35
Now, believeing in your friends I can get behind. Still don't like the Pinkie Senses, though.

Well maybe it just never got brought up before cause it wasn't all that relevant to the plot. Plus it would just seem out of place until explained. Now that it has been we may see more of it. Plus maybe now we can understand why Pinkie seems to know so much about stuff and has that feeling they're all being watched.

BANNED

February 12, 2011, 08:39:24 PM
Reply #36

I know I wouldn't want Faust's job.  I mean, I felt robbed when a friend started making fetish fuel out of some original non-pony-related characters I'd made up.  It would have felt a lot less weird if they were franchise characters instead, probably, but what pissed me off most was that he didn't ask permission to depict my characters for his pleasures.  I cannot imagine what it would be like to direct something well-known. 

Hopefully Faust will keep in mind the moral of "Suited For Success".  If you try to please every pony, you can end up pleasing no pony.  But I also hope she does continue a level of interaction with fans.

February 12, 2011, 09:10:51 PM
Reply #37
DERPY!

I too felt a little weird about this episode.  I think it's OK to maintain skepticism and disbelieve something your friend believes.  The real problem with Twilight Sparkle's behavior was that she was being a jerk about it and cared too much about proving she was right at the expense of her friend over something that shouldn't have been a big deal.  She didn't even need to dispute the Pinkie Powers because even if they were fake, they would just be harmless superstition

One of my favorite moments was actually Twilight Sparkle stepping onto the soap box.  Literally.  Also, "Can you do that?  Can you explode twice?"

I know I wouldn't want Faust's job.  I mean, I felt robbed when a friend started making fetish fuel out of some original non-pony-related characters I'd made up.

Whaaaaaaaaat.

I just

what.

February 12, 2011, 09:59:32 PM
Reply #38
Whaaaaaaaaat.

I just

what.

He's a nice guy, really!  That was awkward as hell, though.  I still don't know why he didn't just make up his own characters for his art or you know, draw characters not made by a friend of his!  Then I realized that I had only gotten a piece of what directors and published authors and so forth must feel when they see fan art. 

February 12, 2011, 10:33:50 PM
Reply #39
Was it a joke, or was he actually into that sort of thing?  And why did he tell you?  I'm not a prude or anything, but these are drawings of ponies we're talking about.  I'm mostly just confused at how that is supposed to work. ???

February 13, 2011, 12:34:29 AM
Reply #40
Was it a joke, or was he actually into that sort of thing?  And why did he tell you?  I'm not a prude or anything, but these are drawings of ponies we're talking about.  I'm mostly just confused at how that is supposed to work. ???

No, they weren't ponies.  This was unrelated to MLP altogether.  These were simply regular human characters I made up for something else entirely. 

1.  No, it wasn't a joke.
2.  He didn't tell me.  I found out by accident.

February 13, 2011, 12:47:06 AM
Reply #41
No, they weren't ponies.  This was unrelated to MLP altogether.  These were simply regular human characters I made up for something else entirely.

Thank Celestia.  I was worried there.  :lol:

1.  No, it wasn't a joke.
2.  He didn't tell me.  I found out by accident.

Oh dear.  That is horrifying.

February 13, 2011, 01:07:02 AM
Reply #42

February 13, 2011, 01:12:28 AM
Reply #43
I know I wouldn't want Faust's job.  I mean, I felt robbed when a friend started making fetish fuel out of some original non-pony-related characters I'd made up.  It would have felt a lot less weird if they were franchise characters instead, probably, but what pissed me off most was that he didn't ask permission to depict my characters for his pleasures.  I cannot imagine what it would be like to direct something well-known. 

Hopefully Faust will keep in mind the moral of "Suited For Success".  If you try to please every pony, you can end up pleasing no pony.  But I also hope she does continue a level of interaction with fans.
I have to admit that is strange, but I also think there's some weird part of me that would find it kind of amusing that I inspired someone in such  way... depends on what the fetish was though.

February 13, 2011, 02:00:55 AM
Reply #44
I have to admit that is strange, but I also think there's some weird part of me that would find it kind of amusing that I inspired someone in such  way... depends on what the fetish was though.

Since I've been desensitized by being on the pure wtf side of the internet, I don't think I would be offended (nothing is safe. NOTHING. O__O), but embarrassed? Probably.

Ugh, me too. I've been becoming somewhat uncomfortable with the fandom atm because of this. ;-;

February 13, 2011, 02:39:45 AM
Reply #45
I've kinda stopped going to /co/ cause of all the hate threads... No fun allowed there anymore it seems, but at least fun is allowed here, and we need to make that Pinkie Fun Allowed image a emote.

BANNED

February 13, 2011, 05:07:07 AM
Reply #46
I've kinda stopped going to /co/ cause of all the hate threads... No fun allowed there anymore it seems, but at least fun is allowed here, and we need to make that Pinkie Fun Allowed image a emote.

Fun? On 4chan? I thought it was all STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE over there.

February 13, 2011, 05:23:56 AM
Reply #47
Actually yeah that's how it is. Though more often these days.

BANNED

February 13, 2011, 05:46:29 PM
Reply #48
I never posted on 4chan because the topics always went by too fast :monster:

February 14, 2011, 12:37:40 AM
Reply #49
That is why I stay in smaller communities. No where near enough of us to go nuts like 4chan, Internet Movie Database, or whatever.