26 (47.3%)
Not good or bad.
5 (9.1%)
Could have been a lot better
2 (3.6%)
JFC!  This episode sucks!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: 1x04 - Applebuck Season  (Read 6293 times)

September 22, 2011, 05:35:03 PM
Reply #25
Super awesome!

Applejack is too cute there!

September 23, 2011, 02:46:52 AM
Reply #26
I am fond of this episode because the first time I watched it I was actually really sleep deprived and they got the feeling of it down perfectly.

Plus it's just funny when she mishears things. "YOU NEED TO GO TO THE ZOO? WELL WHAT'S STOPPING YOU?"

September 26, 2011, 10:09:28 AM
Reply #27
iim with moonflight

October 04, 2011, 08:52:11 PM
Reply #28
I thought Applejack's failures in this episode were just hilarious. Really well done, bravo.

Previously known by "Rainbow Dash"
Role-Play Characters: J-Roc and T, Shrouded Wings.
Previous Role-Play Characters: Rainbow Dash
Favorite RRP Character Ever: Night Wolf
Need a name change? Hit me up if you need one.

Quote Collection
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

October 05, 2011, 03:53:11 AM
Reply #29
I'm surprised I haven't weighed in on this one yet, since it was kinda the tipping point for me, past which I wanted to watch more episodes without my friend's insistence.

Overall, this one's still one of my favorite episodes, as I know all too well what it's like to be too stubborn and determined for my own good, what it's like to march through days on-end with little or no sleep, and what it's like to have friends who care enough to lend a hand. I also loved the comical disasters, and the flow of the dialogue.

I do have a strong liking to it, mostly because watching Applejack reminds me a lot of my Grandpa. The man is a stubborn mule and a workaholic on par with what's seen here.

Sounds like my grandfather, too. Even after he was no longer physically able to hold up his own self-imposed responsibilities around the apartment complex, he would still try to anyway if one of us (my cousin, or my uncle, or occasionally myself) failed to come and take care of it in time.

He spent his teenage years as a traveling salesman during the Depression, wandering Eastern Montana, and had a work ethic that almost reached beyond the grave.
-Standing backwards, Scoot.

October 08, 2011, 07:28:24 PM
Reply #30
I actually fell asleep while watching this episode last night.  ::)

October 09, 2011, 04:12:07 PM
Reply #31
I actually fell asleep while watching this episode last night.  ::)

Haha xD Did you fall on the keyboard or anything?  :-X

October 09, 2011, 04:37:46 PM
Reply #32
I laid half asleep on my couch.  ::)

October 09, 2011, 04:48:23 PM
Reply #33
Ah, smart thinking there, Applejack would be proud.  :D

October 09, 2011, 08:38:09 PM
Reply #34
Boredom or just tired?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage

October 12, 2011, 05:31:17 PM
Reply #35
I was just tired after work, not boredom. ::)

I voted Applebuck Season was super awesome.

October 14, 2011, 03:30:58 PM
Reply #36
I really don't like this episode because the solution is so obvious I spend all my time just complaining about Apples rather then enjoying her efforts to do her job

Snowy Flanks

November 22, 2011, 07:46:45 PM
Reply #37
Haha, I've only seen 15 seconds of it and I already like it. Big Mac's "Eeyup" was all I needed. xD

I'm getting obsessed with when Applejack says the word celery. ._.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:14:27 PM by Chris »

November 23, 2011, 01:42:59 AM
Reply #38
Haha, I've only seen 15 seconds of it and I already like it. Big Mac's "Eeyup" was all I needed. xD

I'm getting obsessed with when Applejack says the word celery. ._.

You might like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP0f5rvVkAU

:D

November 23, 2011, 09:18:05 AM
Reply #39

That was amazing. I've got to check out this person's channel. :O

November 23, 2011, 01:20:50 PM
Reply #40
He's made a lot of fantastic songs I must say. :))

Edit: And his YT picture is my avatar, awesome. xD

November 23, 2011, 01:24:18 PM
Reply #41
He's made a lot of fantastic songs I must say. :))

Edit: And his YT picture is my avatar, awesome. xD
Haha I never noticed that!

November 23, 2011, 02:13:05 PM
Reply #42
This is an episode which I really need to watch again; in my mind, I'd kind of convinced myself that I didn't really love this episode, but looking back I can't really see why... Just before I decided to give the show a chance and start watching from the pilot onwards, one of my real-life brony friends who convinced me to watch told me that the first few episodes after the pilot were "pretty forgettable" so maybe this pre-emptively shaded the way I felt about The Ticket Master and Applebuck Season? I do feel that it was a little less notable in that it didn't have the same qualities which made some of the later episodes so phenomenal; it was a little more plain and formulaic, but then again, when I first watched it didn't really feel that I "knew" the characters in the same way that I do now. Sisterhooves Social and May the Best Pet Win! were also a little formulaic and predictable respectively, but I thoroughly enjoyed both episodes because when I'm watching the show, I'm just wanting to be entertained, and I've yet to be let down on that front.

I'm certain that if I rewatched Applebuck Season, now that I'm far more savvy about the characters and the show in general - and going into it with a more open mind - I'd enjoy it a lot more... it has a lot to love, particularly Big MacIntosh's biggest role yet (at least in terms of spoken dialogue) and the baked bads...!

December 09, 2011, 10:27:49 AM
Reply #43
I've just rewatched this episode and I must say it was awesome. Pinkie Pie is as random as ever and Applejack causes for a lot of funny moments with her exhaustion and stubbornness.

I especially liked some of Twilight's facial expressions, particularly when she casts that angry look of hers. One of those looks is even used for the "love and tolerate" picture you may know of.

I'm not sure why there are some people who don't like this episode, I think it was one of the best episodes so far. And I'm saying this even though I don't really like Applejack that much.

All of Applejack's attempts to help her friends were absolutely hilarious like when she launched Rainbow into the air, completely ruined the cakes she made for Pinkie Pie and actually managed to cause a second stampede by scaring away the bunnies.

Also one of the funniest moments of the episode was when Twilight was holding her speech while several of her friends were contanstly interrupting her and also just the fact that she seemed to have genuinely wanted to say everything on the hundreds of pages she had with her.

I think a reason why many people didn't really like this episode was because Applejack's stubbornness was kind of over the top and exaggerated to the point that it's almost inconceivable how you could possibly be so stubborn.

Well, at least she realized her mistake at the end of the episode and let the others help her.

But the episode was awesome, it was very entertaining and there was also some nice character development for Applejack. I loved it.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:30:56 AM by Ecthudan »

December 09, 2011, 07:31:15 PM
Reply #44
The stubbornness isn't so over-the-top. I'm pretty much like that, because I hate relying on other people to help me.

December 09, 2011, 07:55:15 PM
Reply #45
Lol, I'm like that too with my stubborness.

I really, really appreciate this episode because as I've said before I watched it when I was sleep deprived so all the Applejack POV shots, were eerily true for me. I actually find this episode one of the funniest overall if I'm honest. I just love her mishearing of Twilight, "DO BEES SQUAWK?" and her fail attempts at helping. I especially love her slow mo shot of Pinkie Pie saying cupcakes and baking soda.

I can always count on this episode for a laugh basically. I love sleep deprived Applejack failing to buck trees and bucking over her barrel of apples. It's adorable and funny at the same time. :)

December 18, 2011, 10:14:25 PM
Reply #46
I like this episode because it has that cute nurse pony! So cute!

I also felt like AppleJack didn't want any help because, well, let's face it, no one wants to feel like a failure to themselves- even if everypony understands that there's no possible way to do all that work. I guess another way to interpret this was to stop being hard on yourself.
あきらめない

January 18, 2013, 06:13:14 PM
Reply #47
Another video of an awesome analysis:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOWGg1GXtFU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOWGg1GXtFU</a>

This episode's still okay by me, thought I don't hate it nearly as much as I used to.  I'm still annoyed with Applejack's stubbornness, though this is her first episode that's about her, so I'll forgive it in this case.

June 26, 2013, 06:10:37 PM
Reply #48

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing.

I know many people that are this stubborn when it comes to accepting help, so I really loved this episode and it may have been one of the first to really get my attention.

And yes, Pinkie's slo mo Choooooocolaate Chiiiiiips is hilarious. xD
Discord: https://discord.gg/rbwFqKK ♥ Steam: Greenganon

[/spoiler]

September 21, 2013, 09:29:58 PM
Reply #49
Equestria Daily post:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/09/466-days-of-pony-applebuck-season.html

I didn't like this when it premiered, because I was annoyed with Applejack's stubbornness.  I'm easier on it now, but it's still not an episode I'd watch or re-watch.

My greatest memory of this episode, though, is the fact that it gave a misleading introduction to Big Mac.  It's like, here and only here is when he'd talk like a normal person...  er, pony.  All other times it's just one or two-words at a time, except in Ponyville Confidential, where it's just doing a reversal between him and Applejack, and in Hearts and Hooves Day, which... ugh, NO!

Weirdly, this post references the slapstick humor in this show which...  I honestly don't like.  I mean, the face splat that Applejack did was kind of cute and funny, but overall, I don't know, I just don't care for it.  Now I'm not saying that girls shows or shows aimed at girls shouldn't use slapstick, it just...  doesn't work here, for whatever reason.  I think it's probably because I just don't find this show's slapstick particularly funny in it's execution, for one reason or another  Certainly not as funny as, say, Looney Tunes or Tom & Jerry, or even the new Wander Over Yonder show I've been yammering about lately.