14 (38.9%)
About average
10 (27.8%)
Not that good at all
1 (2.8%)
Terrible!  Don't watch this!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: 1x01/02 - Friendship is Magic - Parts 1 & 2  (Read 11200 times)

August 16, 2011, 03:04:03 PM
Reply #75
I won't say it's the best episode, because most people I try to introduce the series to watches this didn't like it, nor did they see what the big deal was.  I'll admit I only still watched the show because of the design and animation.

But I still liked this episode.  It introduced all the characters and set the table for the series.

One thing I didn't like though was Twilight's sheer bloody determination to avoid making friends.  Well, it wasn't really determination but it's just weird that she doesn't think much of it, even though Princess Celestia ordered her to make friends.  She kind of misinterprets her orders, and probably because she assumed that the Princess doubts her and she's upset by that, she thinks it's more important to find out more about the return of Nightmare Moon than make friends.  Maybe it's because I'm more Genre Savvy, but I think it's obvious that making friends is the most important thing right now.  And I'm not taking into account the title, either, it just seems obvious from the way it's set up, ESPECIALLY when Twilight says "the fate of Equestra does not rest of me making friends."  I'm thinking to myself "Of course it does, you bloody idiot!"

What's even weirder is, Twilight Sparkle makes friends WITHOUT EVEN TRYING!  Literally, no matter how much she tries to avoid them, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie just kind of forced themselves into her life and they became friends...  Maybe it was destiny?

Also, about people saying Celestia is cruel for imprisoning her sister.  She was crazy, turned evil, and wanted to bring about eternal night?  Do you realize the effect of having no suntlight would do to the world?  Celestia had no choice, and regrets her decision, BECAUSE Luna is her sister!  Still, given all the manipulative things she's done, I don't blame people for calling her Trollestia.

Great points, especially on the Celestia and Luna part. I found Twi's rejection of friends somewhat relatable though, as often when you stay inside a lot and don't socialize, you tend to think of it as boring and a waste of time when you could be doing better things, and it's also something you tend to see in characters in games or movies or shows or something.

I also do agree that the other ponies do kind of force themselves on Twi without her having to do much, but they were each able to find something they really liked (AJ - her family, Dash - the sky, Rarity - dressing, Fluttershy - Spike), so it makes more sense I'd say that they kind of jumped out and forced themselves on her, I know if I ever see someone I've never met holding or dressed as something I really like, I tend to give them a wave or just say "Hey, look at that guy." :P

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

August 16, 2011, 03:11:28 PM
Reply #76
I actually loved these episodes. I loved how the characters were introduced, and the story of them. Sure, they might have gotten a little cheesy at times, but I they're among my favorite episodes. I pretty much instantly knew I loved the show because of these.

August 16, 2011, 03:57:00 PM
Reply #77
As for the Celestia and Luna thing, well, many think it could of been just as easily avoided if Celestia talked with her about it. some people like to think of an idea like Celestia ignored her sister's possibly seen distress, and didn't care about her night either.  I know, one could say Luna could of just came to somepony about what she felt, but I can't really blame her too much for that. I did the same. It's likely it went so long, it became too late, and from there kept evolving Psychologically to let her NMM self take over.
Didn't, at the beginning of the first episode, Twilight said (as she read) that Celestia "tried to reason with her, but it was too late"?  People tend to forget THAT part.

Great points, especially on the Celestia and Luna part. I found Twi's rejection of friends somewhat relatable though, as often when you stay inside a lot and don't socialize, you tend to think of it as boring and a waste of time when you could be doing better things, and it's also something you tend to see in characters in games or movies or shows or something.

I also do agree that the other ponies do kind of force themselves on Twi without her having to do much, but they were each able to find something they really liked (AJ - her family, Dash - the sky, Rarity - dressing, Fluttershy - Spike), so it makes more sense I'd say that they kind of jumped out and forced themselves on her, I know if I ever see someone I've never met holding or dressed as something I really like, I tend to give them a wave or just say "Hey, look at that guy." :P

Honestly, I think it's good to have friends.  And I stay inside and don't socialize a lot.  I don't really bother to try and make new friends...  Mostly because it's hard to tell for me who would make a good friend, or who would have the same interests as me...  I certainly don't think it's boring or a waste of time, though.  I mean, just look at the fun I'm having talking to all of you about this stuff!

I also thought it was funny how Twilight assumed they were all crazy, for no real reason.  Maybe it's her lack of socializing, but I don't see anything crazy about any of them...  Well, Fluttershy being more interested and open to Spike rather than her was kind of weird, and Pinkie Pie sneaking into Twilight's new home and throwing a surprise welcome party was definitely going overboard...

August 16, 2011, 04:09:08 PM
Reply #78
Honestly, I think it's good to have friends.  And I stay inside and don't socialize a lot.  I don't really bother to try and make new friends...  Mostly because it's hard to tell for me who would make a good friend, or who would have the same interests as me...  I certainly don't think it's boring or a waste of time, though.  I mean, just look at the fun I'm having talking to all of you about this stuff!

I also thought it was funny how Twilight assumed they were all crazy, for no real reason.  Maybe it's her lack of socializing, but I don't see anything crazy about any of them...  Well, Fluttershy being more interested and open to Spike rather than her was kind of weird, and Pinkie Pie sneaking into Twilight's new home and throwing a surprise welcome party was definitely going overboard...

Well I'll certainly agree with you there on the friends thing, they are great to have, I've just seen a few characters and people like this, so I can kind of see why they'd make Twilight like that, to let her develop in the first 2 episodes with the main theme of the show.

The crazy thing I can kind of see, since like you said Twi's lack of socializing probably led her to believe that socializing a lot and showing a lot of emotions is weird and crazy like. And yes, Pinkie sneaking into her house I remember cracked me up a lot just for how far she went, but she probably did it because it was that special all night party thing.

August 16, 2011, 05:54:12 PM
Reply #79
You do realize that just saying she says she tries to reason her doesn't necessarily mean too much? As I explained, Luna didn't necessarily say out loud at what she felt. Celestia may of only reasoned with her, at nearly the final hour, when it was too late to try. Of course, one could blame Luna in that scenario for not speaking up, but as I said I wouldn't be able to. I kept my depression all to myself, and it only got worse. The same thing basically happened to Luna, but on a far grander scale.

August 16, 2011, 06:02:47 PM
Reply #80
You do realize that just saying she says she tries to reason her doesn't necessarily mean too much? As I explained, Luna didn't necessarily say out loud at what she felt. Celestia may of only reasoned with her, at nearly the final hour, when it was too late to try. Of course, one could blame Luna in that scenario for not speaking up, but as I said I wouldn't be able to. I kept my depression all to myself, and it only got worse. The same thing basically happened to Luna, but on a far grander scale.
Then again, all we know about their past is from that story that Twilight narrated.  We don't know exactly HOW it went, IF Luna did express her true feelings, or if Celestia went to far.

August 16, 2011, 06:05:20 PM
Reply #81
Then again, all we know about their past is from that story that Twilight narrated.  We don't know exactly HOW it went, IF Luna did express her true feelings, or if Celestia went to far.

Well yeah, it's all speculation. We only know it was too late by the time she tried. Still when you consider how shed acted at the end of epi 2, she could be shy. I know, one could say that was purely guilt at the heat of the moment, but still, you can get the vibe she could be a shy one.

August 16, 2011, 06:34:21 PM
Reply #82
I LOVE how hardcore fans go for characters with little to no screentime, and they take whatever little info they can get about them.  It's what I do all the time. :P

Seriously, though, I think Princess Luna was just scared that Celestia would punish her again for her actions and deeply regretted what she did.

August 16, 2011, 07:31:23 PM
Reply #83
I LOVE how hardcore fans go for characters with little to no screentime, and they take whatever little info they can get about them.

Tell me about it.  :P

August 22, 2011, 11:14:06 AM
Reply #84
I recently watched this episode and noticed for the first time that Fluttershy literally SHOVES Twilight out of the way once she sees spike. It was reminiscent of when Pinkie pie did that cartwheel kick.  :lol: did anybody else notice this? Maybe I just forgot about it.

August 22, 2011, 03:28:08 PM
Reply #85
I recently watched this episode and noticed for the first time that Fluttershy literally SHOVES Twilight out of the way once she sees spike. It was reminiscent of when Pinkie pie did that cartwheel kick.  :lol: did anybody else notice this? Maybe I just forgot about it.

I did for this as well. xD

I do agree too that once you get into the series, watching the pilot again you notice things you didn't before. Like for me when they first meet Fluttershy and she shoves Twilight out of the way and Spike goes, "Well well well," I didn't care for that when I first saw it, but when I watched it after being in the series, I literally laughed out loud and found that hilarious, probably because I knew the characters more and with Spike and Twi's relationship that was just too funny for me.

March 27, 2012, 12:36:39 PM
Reply #86
I'm curious why these two episodes are generally considered bad by most fans nowadays.  What's wrong with them?  I think they're a great way to introduce us into the series, and did their job of keeping us coming back.

March 27, 2012, 01:57:13 PM
Reply #87
Not bad, but just not as good as episodes to follow.  It's a "good" introduction, but then that's just it, as an introduction, it's got a lot hinging on it, including setting up the universe and establishing characters.  Not to mention, it's got more action and adventure as opposed to the slice-of-life daily shenanigans that most of the series is.

March 27, 2012, 03:34:41 PM
Reply #88
Epic way to start this show

April 26, 2012, 10:30:11 PM
Reply #89

At 4:40 to 4:50 in the first part. For any like me that never noticed.  ???

April 27, 2012, 03:30:16 PM
Reply #90
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkBZnQui2k0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkBZnQui2k0</a>

Never saw that before  :-X
:scootawat
:scootablank :scootasad :scootawink :scootehehehe :scootwhoa :scottastarryeyed :scootgrin

I am not whining, I am complaining

This post comes with a free frogurt

April 27, 2012, 05:49:43 PM
Reply #91
Never noticed that till somewhere in Season 2 too I think, pretty cool.

April 28, 2012, 12:30:43 AM
Reply #92
I saw it when I rewatched the episode, I had the same reaction!

₪ ř lll•o.
I am a rarity.
Please like my artist FB page here

September 18, 2013, 08:48:58 PM
Reply #93
Bumping because of that thing Equestria Daily's doing.  They made a post about part one:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/09/166-days-of-pony-friendship-is-magic.html

Yep, I still remember that Cartoon Brew article.  Because of that, I always question what they have to say on a given subject.

Edit: Equestria Daily's post for part 2:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/09/266-days-of-pony-friendship-is-magic.html

You know, not once when I first started watching the show did I ever question my masculinity, because I find masculinity to be INCREDIBLY overrated, and more often then not, the source of a lot of misogynist bullcrap seen on the Internet.  I'll say this: the show pretty much won me over since episode one, because I just adored the style.

October 16, 2013, 01:55:47 PM
Reply #94
Well... this was my first time seeing MLP thanks to a brony friend I have in my village. He said the most important is the message of the cartoons which makes it all... then is the happiness. So I get to see the part 1 and something happened... I couldn't stop watching, I was so curious of what will happen in part 2. I will admit I dropped a tear when Twilight realised that having friends is a huge life gift, that they were meant to be together... it is one of my best scenes in all over MLP seasons because it shows the importance of friendship, that books are iimportant too but the life isn't always that... you can find time to make another little things... little things could change our world to better.
Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing.

October 16, 2013, 03:04:04 PM
Reply #95
Welcome to the herd, man!  Hopefully, you're stay here at Equestria Forums will be just as fun as the show itself! :D

December 11, 2013, 09:47:57 PM
Reply #96
Interesting review by one of my favorite reviewers:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbPcjvUtcVM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbPcjvUtcVM</a>

December 15, 2015, 10:52:18 PM
Reply #97
Having just rewatched this episode, I'm really surprised by how much has changed.

Magic effects look different (though I remember that being a thing only in 1x01 and 1x02), pretty much all the voices are slightly different, there are far fewer background ponies and they seem to jump around instead of staying put in one spot, none of them are really animated at all.

The animation was fairly good back in the Season 1 days, but going back to it from Season 5 really shows you how far the show has come over the years.