14 (38.9%)
About average
10 (27.8%)
Not that good at all
1 (2.8%)
Terrible!  Don't watch this!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: 1x01/02 - Friendship is Magic - Parts 1 & 2  (Read 11195 times)

February 10, 2011, 11:23:11 PM
Reply #50
Here she comes Pony in Black. Cantelot defender.

BANNED

February 10, 2011, 11:26:37 PM
Reply #51
Now I'm picturing Will Smith's "Men in Black" video starring Twilight and Spike. Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me considering she's obviously in line for some job in the royal court.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage

February 10, 2011, 11:41:25 PM
Reply #52
Now I'm picturing Will Smith's "Men in Black" video starring Twilight and Spike. Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me considering she's obviously in line for some job in the royal court.

One day Twilight's partner derpy quit and went back to her post in the postal service... Now Derpy's coming back.

PIB 2

Featuring Spike as boss of the PIB and eater of hoagies.

BANNED

February 11, 2011, 12:05:02 AM
Reply #53
Does that mean Spike gets beat up by scantily-clad tentacle lady from the second movie?  ???
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

February 11, 2011, 12:14:47 AM
Reply #54
It damn well better

February 11, 2011, 05:04:42 AM
Reply #55
Actually, on a more serious note, that is not the first I've heard of Twilight being a super spy. There's a brony who honest to God believes that Twilight is a govenment agent-in-training. I'm not even kidding.

Yeah, I've seen those theories about that myself. Ahh fandom, never change. :lol:

August 12, 2011, 01:47:56 AM
Reply #56
I think it's time we discussed the episodes that started it all for many of us. Reviewing some of the weirder theories we had back when we were still regularly updating this thread makes me laugh.

August 12, 2011, 01:56:22 AM
Reply #57
I always liked these episodes a lot, they're the one that made me fall in love with the series ironically, as the first episodes I saw were later ones and I never liked the show a lot until seeing these 2. 1 introduces the characters very well and their personalities and ways, and 2 even further shows the personalities of the ponies in what they do under tough situations, and I think what I like about these episodes so much is how character driven they are, compared to later eps which are more story driven in a way.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

August 12, 2011, 01:59:21 AM
Reply #58
Wow. I had forgotten this part of the discussion. Hey, guys, do you think the show will ever touch on just what she was studying for as an adult?

August 12, 2011, 02:08:40 AM
Reply #59
Wow. I had forgotten this part of the discussion. Hey, guys, do you think the show will ever touch on just what she was studying for as an adult?

I hope so; I have to admit that I kinda wonder what in the world got her studying on the Elements of Harmony and Nightmare Moon and so forth.

August 12, 2011, 02:10:30 AM
Reply #60
I hope so; I have to admit that I kinda wonder what in the world got her studying on the Elements of Harmony and Nightmare Moon and so forth.
Maybe it was part of her just wanting to learn a lot about Celestia. :P

August 12, 2011, 02:24:24 AM
Reply #61
That's... An excellent question. A paper of history or myths?

August 12, 2011, 08:16:50 AM
Reply #62
You know what the depressing part of that whole thing is? If you think about it, and I'm surprised I didn't realize this until I read it from somepony else...It's implied Nightmare Moon was meant to trapped inside the moon forever, if it weren't for those 4 stars.

August 12, 2011, 09:00:44 AM
Reply #63
You know what the depressing part of that whole thing is? If you think about it, and I'm surprised I didn't realize this until I read it from somepony else...It's implied Nightmare Moon was meant to trapped inside the moon forever, if it weren't for those 4 stars.

but who are the four stars? could they be the villains mentioned for season 2?

as for why she was reading the book: Celestia said she knew about the myth already, which is why she made Twilight make friends. Maybe Celestia gave the reading as an assignment so the events of these episodes could play out?

August 12, 2011, 11:20:37 PM
Reply #64
but who are the four stars? could they be the villains mentioned for season 2?

as for why she was reading the book: Celestia said she knew about the myth already, which is why she made Twilight make friends. Maybe Celestia gave the reading as an assignment so the events of these episodes could play out?

Hmm, that'd make sense. She likely noticed Twi accepted certain things better when under pressure. For example, working with others perhaps?

August 12, 2011, 11:59:19 PM
Reply #65
I do not know about the pressure part. Just think about how twilight would act if Celestia said outright "go out now and make friends  because if you do not, then the world is doomed." I do not think Twilight would go and make friends properly if this is how it was presented to her. (For some odd reason I'm now seeing twilight as flutterage.) That would have applied more pressure.

Plus the way Celestia set everything  up, Twilight was scheduled to meet all the elements of harmony. Rather than force a "bond" between all of them, Twilight was shown true friendship through their adventure.

Those are my thoughts at least

August 13, 2011, 12:13:20 AM
Reply #66
What derpy said. It had to happen on it's own. You can't just order friendships to happen. Honestly, this whole thing was probably just about the best thing Celestia has ever done for Twilight. She got her student out of the library and got her make her very first friends (or at least her first friends in a very long time).

August 13, 2011, 09:15:30 AM
Reply #67
I don't think I've seen this thread yet. I just want to express a bit of thanks to the pilot. Since it did intrigue me enough to basically get me hooked. I've always seen this is the best introduction to the series even if it does get cheesy at times, even if someone doesn't particular like it that much they'll usually find something positive on it. I introduced some people over at the MarioWiki and Sub-Sites about the show and used the pilot as the first to see. If they liked the First Episode, I would encourage them to see the 2nd one. If they found the first one to be rather meh, I'd ask them if they liked any of the characters and then point them to Specific episodes related to that character.

It didn't always work. But for the most part it did and I know at least about a Dozen Bronies there. Some of which I didn't need to introduce because they already have seen it themselves.

August 13, 2011, 10:00:42 PM
Reply #68
I don't think I've seen this thread yet. I just want to express a bit of thanks to the pilot. Since it did intrigue me enough to basically get me hooked. I've always seen this is the best introduction to the series even if it does get cheesy at times, even if someone doesn't particular like it that much they'll usually find something positive on it. I introduced some people over at the MarioWiki and Sub-Sites about the show and used the pilot as the first to see. If they liked the First Episode, I would encourage them to see the 2nd one. If they found the first one to be rather meh, I'd ask them if they liked any of the characters and then point them to Specific episodes related to that character.

It didn't always work. But for the most part it did and I know at least about a Dozen Bronies there. Some of which I didn't need to introduce because they already have seen it themselves.

I agree with this too, I always use the first episode to introduce people to the series, as I find it introduces all the characters and the world quite well, and then go from there to any episode they would prefer.

August 14, 2011, 12:22:21 AM
Reply #69
What derpy said. It had to happen on it's own. You can't just order friendships to happen. Honestly, this whole thing was probably just about the best thing Celestia has ever done for Twilight. She got her student out of the library and got her make her very first friends (or at least her first friends in a very long time).

Of course it had to happen on its own, I wasn't denying that. I just wondered the exact specifics of why Celestia did it as she did. Actually, now that I think of it better, Twi would of been thinking too methodically  if she were told directly why she had to make friends. It's fine for her to be that way for other things, or when Equestria's fate isn't in the balance, but at the time, it was out of the question.

It was also  a crash course for becoming social too, but that much is obvious.

August 14, 2011, 09:11:32 AM
Reply #70
Of course it had to happen on its own, I wasn't denying that. I just wondered the exact specifics of why Celestia did it as she did. Actually, now that I think of it better, Twi would of been thinking too methodically  if she were told directly why she had to make friends. It's fine for her to be that way for other things, or when Equestria's fate isn't in the balance, but at the time, it was out of the question.

It was also  a crash course for becoming social too, but that much is obvious.

yay, all this talk is destroying the trollestia fanon  :lol:

I guess Celestia just killed two birds with one stone then. Although I do not know if twilight was a total recluse, didn't a certain pony wave to her as she ran back to her house? That must have meant Twilight knew her somehow.

August 14, 2011, 01:32:41 PM
Reply #71
yay, all this talk is destroying the trollestia fanon  :lol:

I guess Celestia just killed two birds with one stone then. Although I do not know if twilight was a total recluse, didn't a certain pony wave to her as she ran back to her house? That must have meant Twilight knew her somehow.

Could of been just classmates. Just because Twilight was the Princess's own prodigy didn't mean she didn't have to see the other teachers or students that perhaps have different subject matters. for Twi to learn. Celestia's the ruler of Equestria, I doubt she had too much time telling Twilight everything she knew about magic. She had to have occasionally seen other Professors and/or self-taught herself with Books which judging by her social skills at the beginning it might have been the Self-Taught way for the most part.

August 14, 2011, 01:55:28 PM
Reply #72
Completely agreed, Northern. The fact that Twi is learning many spells only AFTER the pilot, likely means most of what she learned in Canterlot were mostly hard facts, rather then hard experience. Even spells that, seem, more on the simple end took her practice after all.

Magick in their world must be a more difficult process then most other Fictional worlds I suppose, then again, in RPG's you tend to be using something that augments the party or they already had the basics learned for awhile/just prior.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:42:09 PM by FlamingLight »

August 16, 2011, 02:25:34 PM
Reply #73
I won't say it's the best episode, because most people I try to introduce the series to watches this didn't like it, nor did they see what the big deal was.  I'll admit I only still watched the show because of the design and animation.

But I still liked this episode.  It introduced all the characters and set the table for the series.

One thing I didn't like though was Twilight's sheer bloody determination to avoid making friends.  Well, it wasn't really determination but it's just weird that she doesn't think much of it, even though Princess Celestia ordered her to make friends.  She kind of misinterprets her orders, and probably because she assumed that the Princess doubts her and she's upset by that, she thinks it's more important to find out more about the return of Nightmare Moon than make friends.  Maybe it's because I'm more Genre Savvy, but I think it's obvious that making friends is the most important thing right now.  And I'm not taking into account the title, either, it just seems obvious from the way it's set up, ESPECIALLY when Twilight says "the fate of Equestra does not rest of me making friends."  I'm thinking to myself "Of course it does, you bloody idiot!"

What's even weirder is, Twilight Sparkle makes friends WITHOUT EVEN TRYING!  Literally, no matter how much she tries to avoid them, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie just kind of forced themselves into her life and they became friends...  Maybe it was destiny?

Also, about people saying Celestia is cruel for imprisoning her sister.  She was crazy, turned evil, and wanted to bring about eternal night?  Do you realize the effect of having no suntlight would do to the world?  Celestia had no choice, and regrets her decision, BECAUSE Luna is her sister!  Still, given all the manipulative things she's done, I don't blame people for calling her Trollestia.

August 16, 2011, 02:50:28 PM
Reply #74
I won't say it's the best episode, because most people I try to introduce the series to watches this didn't like it, nor did they see what the big deal was.  I'll admit I only still watched the show because of the design and animation.

But I still liked this episode.  It introduced all the characters and set the table for the series.

One thing I didn't like though was Twilight's sheer bloody determination to avoid making friends.  Well, it wasn't really determination but it's just weird that she doesn't think much of it, even though Princess Celestia ordered her to make friends.  She kind of misinterprets her orders, and probably because she assumed that the Princess doubts her and she's upset by that, she thinks it's more important to find out more about the return of Nightmare Moon than make friends.  Maybe it's because I'm more Genre Savvy, but I think it's obvious that making friends is the most important thing right now.  And I'm not taking into account the title, either, it just seems obvious from the way it's set up, ESPECIALLY when Twilight says "the fate of Equestra does not rest of me making friends."  I'm thinking to myself "Of course it does, you bloody idiot!"

What's even weirder is, Twilight Sparkle makes friends WITHOUT EVEN TRYING!  Literally, no matter how much she tries to avoid them, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie just kind of forced themselves into her life and they became friends...  Maybe it was destiny?

Also, about people saying Celestia is cruel for imprisoning her sister.  She was crazy, turned evil, and wanted to bring about eternal night?  Do you realize the effect of having no suntlight would do to the world?  Celestia had no choice, and regrets her decision, BECAUSE Luna is her sister!  Still, given all the manipulative things she's done, I don't blame people for calling her Trollestia.

They're well from my faves too, I agree, but epi 1 is what got me wanting more(even though I kept myself waiting for a little longer ironically enough).

As for the Celestia and Luna thing, well, many think it could of been just as easily avoided if Celestia talked with her about it. some people like to think of an idea like Celestia ignored her sister's possibly seen distress, and didn't care about her night either.  I know, one could say Luna could of just came to somepony about what she felt, but I can't really blame her too much for that. I did the same. It's likely it went so long, it became too late, and from there kept evolving Psychologically to let her NMM self take over.