Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 12119 times)

March 19, 2012, 06:38:42 AM
Reply #25
I shall wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett

March 20, 2012, 01:47:17 AM
Reply #26
Machine of Death, edited by Ryan North and David Malki !.  It's a bunch of short stories by various authors, about a machine that can take a blood sample from you and tell you how you're going to die. Not when, not where, and the answers can be problematically vague (for instance, does "Water" mean you're going to drown? Choke? Belly flop too hard and rupture your spleen?), which leaves a lot of room for different sorts of writers to make a lot of varied stories, from depressing to humorous.
Remember when we were talking about good times being good times and post good times at the end of every good times post about good times?

Good times. :P

Drawfriends of all skill levels are invited to add to my army of Sporkles only if they wish to. To see all the art provided by my talented friends, go to sporkleart.tumblr.com

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

March 20, 2012, 06:42:28 AM
Reply #27
Now getting close to being halfway through Game of thrones. Pretty interesting so far, it keeps drawing me back each evening.
:scootawat
:scootablank :scootasad :scootawink :scootehehehe :scootwhoa :scottastarryeyed :scootgrin

I am not whining, I am complaining

This post comes with a free frogurt

March 21, 2012, 03:41:17 PM
Reply #28
I've just finished reading The Hunger Games on my new Kindle, and will be starting Catching Fire tonight! It's been far too long since I've enjoyed a good book like this, I really do want to get back into the habit of reading. For the last two years that I've been working, I tend to listen to podcasts on my iPod at lunch and on the commute, but I've started to tire of them lately while I do enjoy having something to read... with the podcasts it was like I was just finding something to pass the time, whereas reading is actually a hobby, something I want to do. The day doesn't feel so wasted when I've spent that precious time doing something I love.

March 21, 2012, 03:52:01 PM
Reply #29
I shall wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett

Awesome author is awesome.

I'm reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. So far, I'm really enjoying it.
i had a wet dream about lassie. i knew she was played by a male dog called pal. lassie come home is anything but erotica, i find her sexy because she's a good looking dog.

March 21, 2012, 04:01:16 PM
Reply #30
Now getting close to being halfway through Game of thrones. Pretty interesting so far, it keeps drawing me back each evening.

I'm reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. So far, I'm really enjoying it.

I forgot to mention, both of these are also on my to-read list. Much like all other pop culture aside from games, I've been very sheltered when it comes to reading... I have so much to catch up on!

March 21, 2012, 05:23:46 PM
Reply #31
I'm currently reading Salem's Lot, by Stephen King and Thus Spake Zarathursta, by Fredrich Nieztche. Also re-reading Harry Potter and The Sorcerors Stone.

I forgot to mention, both of these are also on my to-read list. Much like all other pop culture aside from games, I've been very sheltered when it comes to reading... I have so much to catch up on!

I have not read Game of Thrones, but Hitchhikers is an amazing series. Douglas Adams is hilarious!
"If more people valued good food and cheer over hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world"

-Thorin Oakenshield

"The circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

Ask me whatever you like: http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php?topic=9247.0

March 21, 2012, 05:28:51 PM
Reply #32
The Hunger Games, The Grand Design, The God Delusion.

Thus Spake Zarathursta, by Fredrich Nieztche.

I need to finish reading that.

March 21, 2012, 05:32:03 PM
Reply #33
The Hunger Games, The Grand Design, The God Delusion.

I need to finish reading that.

How are you liking the Hunger Games? Is the God Delusion any good?

What part are you on? I'm at the part where he decides to seek out companions similar to him.
"If more people valued good food and cheer over hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world"

-Thorin Oakenshield

"The circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

Ask me whatever you like: http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php?topic=9247.0

March 21, 2012, 05:33:39 PM
Reply #34
How are you liking the Hunger Games? Is the God Delusion any good?

What part are you on? I'm at the part where he decides to seek out companions similar to him.

I'm very early in The Hunger Games, and same in Zarathustra.

I need to get the motivation to read, but lately I haven't had it.

March 21, 2012, 05:35:57 PM
Reply #35
I'm working my way through a big pile of William Gibson. He dates surprisingly well, given that he was writing computer-centric fiction mostly in the 80s and early 90s.

I've read the God Delusion a few times. I think he overstates some points a bit more than is fair, but it is otherwise a solid and engaging book. The man is smart enough that even when you disagree with him, you have to put some work into justifying why, which is valuable in itself.

March 21, 2012, 05:37:33 PM
Reply #36
I read The Hunger Games series pretty recently. It was pretty okay if you aren't expecting anything too deep from it. I equated it with Twilight + The Running Man, and several of my friends agreed with that assessment.
Remember when we were talking about good times being good times and post good times at the end of every good times post about good times?

Drawfriends of all skill levels are invited to add to my army of Sporkles only if they wish to. To see all the art provided by my talented friends, go to sporkleart.tumblr.com

March 21, 2012, 06:16:21 PM
Reply #37
Got the Hunger Games in the mail at 3pm, curious what the fuss is all about. Just finished it, spent the whole day reading in the sun. It wasn't all that deep or special beside one unexpected plot twist, but a very good read nonetheless.  :)

I'm glad it's starting to feel like summer again, whenever the sun comes out I feel like reading somehow.
To love another person is to see the face of God

March 21, 2012, 06:17:51 PM
Reply #38
I'm really enjoying Game of thrones now.

And I've been planning to buy hungers games for about two weeks now, but I keep forgetting to go online, and the one store that had a good offer only had the sequels  ::)
:scootawat
:scootablank :scootasad :scootawink :scootehehehe :scootwhoa :scottastarryeyed :scootgrin

I am not whining, I am complaining

This post comes with a free frogurt

March 21, 2012, 09:08:39 PM
Reply #39
Homestuck, ALWAYS, READING, HOMESTUCK!

*rocks back in forth in a corner, mumbling like the insane person he really is*

March 21, 2012, 09:49:22 PM
Reply #40
I read The Hunger Games series pretty recently. It was pretty okay if you aren't expecting anything too deep from it. I equated it with Twilight + The Running Man, and several of my friends agreed with that assessment.

I'm glad I picked up the books before there was any real hype behind them. I got to form opinions unbiased.

I went from reading heavy fantasy [Stephen Ericson/Patrick Rothfuss/Jacqueline Carey] to The Hunger Games so the pacing thrilled me. Which I still say is the best aspect of the books. You're never left hanging for very long, there are no 'slow character building' sequences [which is what they seemed to get called], and she has a knack for subtle and less subtle forshadowing.

In the end they're a light read, for when you just want to relax and immerse yourself, which is not by any means a bad thing.

March 21, 2012, 10:55:04 PM
Reply #41
I just watched the first episode of the series earlier today. :)  But yeah, there are so many other things I'm meaning to read, I think I'll be fine with the TV show.

Anyway, the book I'm currently reading is The Waste Lands (book 3 of the Dark Tower series), by Steven King.

March 24, 2012, 04:30:58 PM
Reply #42
I'm reading Catching Fire now, I'm about 75% of the way through and thus far I'm enjoying it every bit as much as the first book, if not more! I can definitely understand why some people wouldn't take to this series; compared to a lot of sci-fi and fantasy it has a largely unexplored backstory, the pacing is very quick (skipping over entire months, including important events, in a matter of sentences at times) and it can generally feel a little more "lightweight", but for me the strength of the series comes from the strong characterisation, and the first-person-present perspective that the books are written. It makes the books an easier read and actually makes them stand out from a lot of other fiction in that you're purposefully not bogged down with a ton of backstory and exposition - a lot, if not most, of the characters go unnamed - because we're seeing things through the eyes and perspective of the protagonist. For a story such as this, dealing with themes like survival, and with a protagonist whose character is so layered and dynamic, it's a huge strength that adds a lot of weight to the story. The story is a good one, but the fact that it's being told by this particular character, in her own particular way, through her own particular worldview, is what makes it a great one.

March 24, 2012, 05:40:12 PM
Reply #43
 ones are naruto manga and any FIM fan fictions. . the one im reading of that is "Living The Dream". best dame fanfic ive read.

other than that i hate to read.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:44:05 PM by PipBoy1997 »
Your up for some Battlefield my gamer tag is PipBoy1997 on xbox. im on all day

March 24, 2012, 05:46:08 PM
Reply #44
I'm reading Catching Fire now, I'm about 75% of the way through and thus far I'm enjoying it every bit as much as the first book, if not more! I can definitely understand why some people wouldn't take to this series; compared to a lot of sci-fi and fantasy it has a largely unexplored backstory, the pacing is very quick (skipping over entire months, including important events, in a matter of sentences at times) and it can generally feel a little more "lightweight", but for me the strength of the series comes from the strong characterisation, and the first-person-present perspective that the books are written. It makes the books an easier read and actually makes them stand out from a lot of other fiction in that you're purposefully not bogged down with a ton of backstory and exposition - a lot, if not most, of the characters go unnamed - because we're seeing things through the eyes and perspective of the protagonist. For a story such as this, dealing with themes like survival, and with a protagonist whose character is so layered and dynamic, it's a huge strength that adds a lot of weight to the story. The story is a good one, but the fact that it's being told by this particular character, in her own particular way, through her own particular worldview, is what makes it a great one.

Best "books" ive ever read. the third one is when it gets really good. ull see ;)
Your up for some Battlefield my gamer tag is PipBoy1997 on xbox. im on all day

March 24, 2012, 10:42:11 PM
Reply #45

March 24, 2012, 10:51:12 PM
Reply #46
Some fanfics. Finished Past Sins today, now i am reading  Rorschach in Equestria : P

March 24, 2012, 11:11:34 PM
Reply #47
I don't know why I didn't receive notification of pretty much all the updates since my last comment. :/

You'd probably quite enjoy The Running Man and The Long Walk, both by Stephen King using his Richard Bachman pseudonym. Aside from not using first person present, they have a similar feel-- fast-paced, a rich near-future/post-apocalyptic world that's only lightly described, short, kind of brutal. They're on the old side but I think they've stood up to the test of time.

Best "books" ive ever read. the third one is when it gets really good. ull see ;)

Really? I found myself quite disappointed by the third one. It seemed different from the others, and I didn't enjoy the ending at all.

March 25, 2012, 05:57:23 PM
Reply #48
Reading MockingJay. I do so love Peeta but Katniss may be my top character.

March 26, 2012, 12:27:57 PM
Reply #49
Since my last post I've now finished Catching Fire (which was AWESOME) and have started on Mockingjay. Heard some mixed things about this one so I'm interested to see what I think, but it can't possibly be a worse conclusion than the ending of Mass Effect 3 so it can only be so bad!