Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 12118 times)

February 20, 2012, 01:14:06 PM
At the moment I'm reading a compilation of the comic strip Lio with its origins and what not. Its very funny and surreal.  http://images.gocomics.com/images/blogs/gocomics/lio_tales.jpg

For those who have yet to hear of it, there's an animated version of the comic strip:  http://www.youtube.com/L69Cx5fjRgw&sns=fb

So what are you all reading atm?
"Let's work togheter to become 20% Cooler"

"Making good by punching the faces of injustice one antagonist at a time..."-Warpony

The Shadowbolts Tumblr Account

February 20, 2012, 03:27:02 PM
Reply #1
Hmm, I was sure there was another similar thread, floating around.

Anyways, I'm reading a book about the Spanish Civil War and it is downright terrifying. Literally every page offers another description of graphic war crimes. It's disturbing - not least the behaviour of the Catholic church, which encouraged the mass killing.
Fancy reading a fanfiction by Charlemagne2011, pre-read by yours truely? No? Tough. Read it guys.
http://themariofan2007.deviantart.com/art/Life-Anew-chapter-1-273466306

I tried to think of something incredibly witty, and I did, but I'll pretend I'm not at all funny and that I'm below average intelligence,which I'm not, I'm incredibly intellectual-umm I mean, I'm a twat? And use no emoticons?

February 20, 2012, 04:40:37 PM
Reply #2
I mainly read manga; and I've been reading Bleach and re-re-re-re-reading Death Note.

I also started on the Azumanga Daioh omnibus.

February 20, 2012, 07:01:02 PM
Reply #3

February 21, 2012, 08:10:33 AM
Reply #4
I am currently rereading Watership Down by Richard Adams,  one of my favourite books. ^^
To love another person is to see the face of God

February 21, 2012, 08:28:41 AM
Reply #5
I am currently rereading Watership Down by Richard Adams,  one of my favourite books. ^^

Oh, nice. Good book.

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read a book for at least two or three months. :(
All my reading time has been spent on fanfics. :-X

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

<3[/spoiler]

February 21, 2012, 06:26:44 PM
Reply #6
The classic Animation Show is pretty good as well.

I'm reading music lyrics right now.

February 21, 2012, 10:11:03 PM
Reply #7
I just checked out a copy of the Qur'an from the library as well as a commentary for the book.  I've always felt a little embarrassed by how little I know about Islam, so now I am working to change that!

February 21, 2012, 10:29:49 PM
Reply #8
Well if anyone finds a similar thread to this one a merger is in order.

"Making good by punching the faces of injustice one antagonist at a time..."-Warpony

February 22, 2012, 12:19:33 AM
Reply #9
Well if anyone finds a similar thread to this one a merger is in order.

I created one similar to this one some time ago, but it is not particularly active and it is a bit "buried," so unless a moderator thinks it is necessary (or if somepony digs it up in the future), I am not worried about a merger or anything; no forum has megathreads on given topics, as new members come in, other threads are buried and forgotten, etc. ;)

I am currently rereading Low Pressure Boilers by Frederick M. Steingress and Daryl R. Walker to help prepare for my upcoming state boiler exam.  I am supplementing this with reading from my notes, assignments, quizzes, and handouts from the boiler class I took late last year.

I have also been multitasking a bit by reading Stalin: A Political Biography by Issac Deutscher.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:20:29 AM by M14Brony »
Eternal Memory

Mikhail Kalshnikov
1919-2013

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

February 22, 2012, 08:03:50 AM
Reply #10
Why not merge the topics together instead?>

February 27, 2012, 07:22:47 PM
Reply #11
I... multitask sometimes?

Pony fanfics as they come, Perelandra by C.S. Lewis (Helping my sister out with a paper!), and That Hideous Strength by Lewis as well (for me.)

:-\
Spring is Christ,
raising martyred plants from their shrouds.

February 27, 2012, 07:30:53 PM
Reply #12
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Currently on the third novel "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish".
"If more people valued good food and cheer over hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world"

-Thorin Oakenshield

"The circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

Ask me whatever you like: http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php?topic=9247.0

February 27, 2012, 11:00:37 PM
Reply #13
Apt Pupil by Stephen King.

February 28, 2012, 05:29:18 AM
Reply #14

March 01, 2012, 05:04:06 PM
Reply #15
I'm reading a thread in equestria forums... hee hee...

But seriously, I'm reading the Lost King trilogy by Margret Weiss. Love that series, its like Star Wars.
Now I pulled myself together, had a little chat
With my empty bottle, and this little cat
He'd been hiding, he'd been there for a while
Well I told him how I missed you how you made me feel
And even though that cat wasn't real
He cheered me up and he made me smile

“If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.”
Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat."
Mark Twain

"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well."
Missy Dizick

"I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worth while?" Death thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE."
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

"You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends with strange cats."
Ancient Proverb

March 01, 2012, 05:48:28 PM
Reply #16

March 01, 2012, 08:45:37 PM
Reply #17
Dear god, the cat scene in Apt Pupil is probably the most disturbing thing I've ever read.

March 01, 2012, 09:06:21 PM
Reply #18

March 01, 2012, 09:17:45 PM
Reply #19
I'm trying to get another book.  But first I need to pay that damn 80 dollar fee in late returns. The Libary is getting rich thanks to me.  I think I'll find a Werewolf novel this time around...

March 01, 2012, 09:28:00 PM
Reply #20
Eighty dollars? Egads, how do you rack up that kind of fee?
I thought having ten dollars outstanding was bad...

March 01, 2012, 09:35:09 PM
Reply #21
By putting off an incredible number of books and DVDs that are 1.25 dollars per day after the due and never bothering to call and renew them for months.  That crap always bites my behind when I am busy watching and reading more.

March 01, 2012, 10:57:44 PM
Reply #22
Mockingjay, not that far into it (I've already read parts 1and 2)
~~Current GT5 Standings~~

A-Spec: Level 35
B-Spec: Level 38

March 02, 2012, 08:30:12 AM
Reply #23

March 12, 2012, 07:18:35 PM
Reply #24
Been re-reading Flowers For Algernon for the third or fourth time, the characterization is heartbreakingly good and just... it is what it is, but I dare say it's survived the years for a very legitimate reason. There's always something to mull over you haven't before.

Also been wiggling my way through The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis which is proving itself to be quite the interesting brain-tickle. Any article of ink and paper that can get you thinking and grinning at the same time has something good going for it, methinks.

Life's been despairingly absent of webcomics lately. Might have to play catch-up with Fey Winds and Gunnerkrigg Court- haven't read up on 'em yet, but y'know what? Think I will!

in story we do not retreat from reality we rediscover it