Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: The Anime & Manga Thread (Almost) Anything goes!  (Read 145535 times)

April 22, 2018, 09:35:48 PM
Reply #3925
Marchen Madchen, I know this show was from last season, but I've been kind of struggling with how I feel about what happened.

Surprised to see somebody talk about that show here, I thought it largely went under the radar. I wasn't watching it but I was aware of the... problems. I guess key people working on the show kept quitting because of how impossible the situation was, which just made things worse, so more people quit? Something like that.

Much as I enjoy the current Anime Season schedule, it's pretty much responsible for MM burning to the ground. I find it weird studios continue to work on 12 episode shows during their air time as opposed to staggering releases by a season.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

April 23, 2018, 09:59:35 PM
Reply #3926
Surprised to see somebody talk about that show here, I thought it largely went under the radar. I wasn't watching it but I was aware of the... problems. I guess key people working on the show kept quitting because of how impossible the situation was, which just made things worse, so more people quit? Something like that.

Much as I enjoy the current Anime Season schedule, it's pretty much responsible for MM burning to the ground. I find it weird studios continue to work on 12 episode shows during their air time as opposed to staggering releases by a season.

That would make sense, the show became a dumpster fire production wise by episode 7.

As for why I started watching it... I liked the idea of a protagonist that loves books and has social anxiety, wonder why. :twiface:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 10:03:24 PM by Thatpony »
"The answer, always, is the Wolves of Fenris, because they are clinically insane."
-Lunar Wolves Captain Torgaddon on the subject of the toughest Space Marine Legion.

"Bribery and threats are always popular, but generally avoided, especially if you're likely to attract inquisitorial attention as they're better at both and tend to resent other people resorting to their methods."
-Commissar Ciaphas Cain on winning over Tribunals.

I've been brainwashed so many times there is nothing left in here but soap suds

April 25, 2018, 07:46:54 AM
Reply #3927
Looks like I'll have to read Golden Kamuy too. The anime is wonderful.
See the bunny bees and puffs of steam from singing kettles in the trees. Bread and butterflies with fork and knives who like to make a meal of time.
Life is clockwork quick - lightning slow. Faster on your toes, so eat your sugared dream and taste the day before it runs away.

April 26, 2018, 06:27:57 AM
Reply #3928
Decided to watch more of Ashita no Joe, and honestly yeah this is pretty good. Story isn't quite what I was expecting but I'm only 1/5th of the way in. Most of the low quality animation is gone by episode 5 or so and things pick up pretty quick.

April 27, 2018, 12:36:55 PM
Reply #3929
See the bunny bees and puffs of steam from singing kettles in the trees. Bread and butterflies with fork and knives who like to make a meal of time.
Life is clockwork quick - lightning slow. Faster on your toes, so eat your sugared dream and taste the day before it runs away.

April 27, 2018, 09:59:31 PM
Reply #3930
I need this.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised Tanya hasn't gotten a proper figure yet, Nendoroids don't really count.

Either way I'd recommend keeping an eye on Tokyo Otaku Mode if you want it, it's currently out of stock but you're going to be paying almost twice as much as its worth on Playmoya between the aftermarket upcharge and shipping from Japan.

Huh... Special Week, the lead girl in Uma Musume, just died. Er, well, her real life counterpart died. Anime Special Week is fine. The actual horse is dead though. Just uh, kind of an awkward thing to learn considering I've been gushing over the show since it started.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:22:49 PM by Mirage Seraph »

April 29, 2018, 07:17:07 AM
Reply #3931
There's really something about boxing fiction. The protagonist hits the mat, and you know he'll get up before the ten count, but it's still suspenseful as hell. Anyway, Megalobox remains amazing.

This weeks FRANXX (or Darlifra as it's apparently abbreviated in Japan) was a recap episode, but instead of being a clipshow, the voice actors, mangaka, and direcor were interviewed, and I ended up liking it. It's always interesting to me how actors perceive the characters they portray. I prefer this format so much over the normal type of recap. Though Re:CREATORS still has the best. You should all watch that series too.

April 30, 2018, 06:25:35 AM
Reply #3932
There's really something about boxing fiction. The protagonist hits the mat, and you know he'll get up before the ten count, but it's still suspenseful as hell. Anyway, Megalobox remains amazing.

To be fair, that's true for most all anime. The MC can have a bullet inches from his face at the end of the episode but you know he'll be fine cause it's only episode 8. Ippo was pretty good at being kind of hard to guess the outcome of though. Even minor fights had upsets on top of upsets, and the plot never had a true end goal beyond some character motivations so the threat of somebody losing a fight was rarely ever invalidated.

April 30, 2018, 10:23:49 PM
Reply #3933
To be fair, that's true for most all anime. The MC can have a bullet inches from his face at the end of the episode but you know he'll be fine cause it's only episode 8. Ippo was pretty good at being kind of hard to guess the outcome of though. Even minor fights had upsets on top of upsets, and the plot never had a true end goal beyond some character motivations so the threat of somebody losing a fight was rarely ever invalidated.

That's true, but in boxing it is simplified down to a timer.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 07:39:51 AM by Grim Noire »

May 02, 2018, 01:35:52 AM
Reply #3934
Must say, despite this being the season dominated by Steins;Gate, Boku no Hero, and a bunch of other big name sequels, I'm glad I checked out the less hyped shows. 3D Kanojo isn't any particularly special but the character writing for the social outcast MC is fantastic. And WotaKoi is just freaking great on all counts. Especially that OP. Also the jokes. And the references. And the VA work.

... I'd love to give more praise to Shiyan Pin Jiating but STILL NO FANSUBS!

May 08, 2018, 07:58:38 AM
Reply #3935
I am really falling in love with Golden Kamuy. The main characters are wonderful, and it does a fantastic job of juggling multiple secondary characters.

Obligatory OP/ED mention: The OP does what I wish more would do, taking full advantage of the music in timing the editing. It's fairly simple, but l find it really effective as well - enough that I put it in my "Never skip" category. The same goes for the ED which again is pretty basic: a scrolling image of the characters set to music, but the imagery is fantastic as are the songs.

May 08, 2018, 10:44:03 PM
Reply #3936
30 episodes into Ashita no Joe now.

I don't think I've ever hated a main character more than Yabuki Joe. For every cool thing he does, he manages to cover it up in 10 counts of morally degenerative acts of idiocy. Every time I think he might be shaping up into a half decent human being with a functioning brain stem he just has to remind me that I'm an idiot for thinking that.

... That said the show as a whole is good.

May 09, 2018, 01:52:40 AM
Reply #3937
30 episodes into Ashita no Joe now.

I don't think I've ever hated a main character more than Yabuki Joe. For every cool thing he does, he manages to cover it up in 10 counts of morally degenerative acts of idiocy. Every time I think he might be shaping up into a half decent human being with a functioning brain stem he just has to remind me that I'm an idiot for thinking that.

... That said the show as a whole is good.

>MC is an idiot
In an anime?! No way!

Best and smartest MC's are Kazuma and Lawrence. Pic related to latter.

May 13, 2018, 01:55:52 PM
Reply #3938
After getting enough incentive, I decided to check out Agressive Retsuko, or Aggretsuko, how it's also called.

It's probably the most entertaining show I've seen in quite a while. I can't quite relate to a 25-year old female office worker, nor am I a fan of death metal in general, but I found it really fun to watch. Short enough that I could watch all 100 of the one and a half-minute episodes in one night. Also nice to know that there is another series that has been out recently on Netflix, that seems to flesh out more of the story and characters. So that's what my Sunday will be.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 01:56:38 PM by Stranger »

May 16, 2018, 06:31:54 AM
Reply #3939
I should do mid-season thoughts soon... Even if I haven't started Steins;Gate 0 yet or watched any more of Shiyan Pin Jiating. Found more subs of it but haven't got around to it yet.

Do wanna say though, Ashita no Joe is REALLY GOOD. Just finished episode 51. It needs some time to pick up the pace but once the actual boxing "arc" starts it really starts to live up to the hype. Also the animation quality has continued to improve episode to episode.

Also Yabuki is actually respectable now. He's still a idiotic punk. But at least he's an idiotic punk that grew up.

... Also OxT and MYTH&ROID are doing the OP/ED's for Overlord S3. So that's good.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:34:25 AM by Mirage Seraph »

May 16, 2018, 07:38:21 AM
Reply #3940
What's the hook for Overlord? I watched the first episode, and it seemed as generic an isekai series as one could get.

May 16, 2018, 08:35:36 AM
Reply #3941
What's the hook for Overlord? I watched the first episode, and it seemed as generic an isekai series as one could get.

Imo, the writing is good and the characters are all interesting and likable, the anime has great quality, courtesy of Madhouse, plus a pretty great soundtrack, really dig the first OP and ED credits. Admittedly this is the first time I am watching something of the Isekai genre so I can't say if it stands out and how, but I think the protagonist, Ainz/Momonga, is very unique in his portrayal.

In a more personal note, it brings back some nostalgia on the days I played MMOs, and I found the protagonist to be someone I can relate to in some level. It's a shame that the majority of the content is in the light novel since there's so much to read, and I'm not into novels that much.

I have also taken the time to watch Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, both R1 and R2. I find it funny to know some characters get a lot of hate, somewhat understandably, but they all see redemption in one way or another. The ending really had me too, which I admittedly had not seen coming, but I found it immensely satisfying, much like the ending of FMA: Brotherhood.

It is puzzling that apparently there is a third season in the works for it. I thought the second season was a pretty conclusive for the storyline.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:41:45 AM by Stranger »

May 16, 2018, 02:21:16 PM
Reply #3942

Generic as an isekai, I highly disagree. Most if not all other isekais make the protagonist some guy who finds himself in a glorified video game world at level 1 with no equipment or knowledge. And that protag has to save the world or survive or some bullocks. Overlord? Make the protag a max level end game ranker. Also make him the villain. That may not sound like much but that's basically the entirety of what makes an isekai an isekai. That said..

Overlord doesn't really shy away from being generic in storytelling. If anything it revels in it. Overlord is mostly about the characters and the early 2000's MMO story they play their parts in. This is mostly why I don't recommend Overlord to a lot of people, with a rather subaverage plot it's not really a show that is everyone's cup of tea.

Also what Stranger said, show has fantastic quality. It's not Madhouse's best work, but it's still Madhouse.

May 18, 2018, 02:50:17 PM
Reply #3943
I'm just here to plant the idea of a Gianax produced MLP action series.

Twilight & Friends vs the Forces of Evil
Working on a cool new Pokemon-inspired indie project called Battle Gem Ponies 
(and documenting every step of the way so others can learn alongside me!)

Available on Mobile & PC Platforms!
Weekly Development Updates: www.yotesgames.com
Download the Latest Demo: Battle Gem Ponies (Pre-Alpha Ver. 7)

May 18, 2018, 08:56:06 PM
Reply #3944
I'm just here to plant the idea of a Gianax produced MLP action series.

Twilight & Friends vs the Forces of Evil

Not from Gainax. Trigger is more like Gainax than current Gainax.

May 19, 2018, 02:04:15 PM
Reply #3945

I finally was able to catch up on My Hero Academia recently, and it is a good season so far. I would talk about the OP, but I think that is a topic people have gone over enough, as for me, I liked the song loved the visuals but wasn't thrilled with them being together. One thing has been bothering me however, when is Mei Hatsume going to make another appearance? She's honestly my favorite character in the show right now(is she even classified as a hero since she's in the support class?), she shows up in the ED so she has to have some kind of appearance this season right? Right???

The season hasn't been a let down at all so far, but I would be lying if I said that Toga wasn't the reason why I'm hyped for the next episode. Her character design and demeanor are just so cool, can't wait to see more of her.

Hinamatsuri, god I fucking love this show! It has great comedy and timing, Hina is so oblivious to everything and Anzu is just down right adorable. This show honestly reminds me a bit of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maids in that I went in expecting a funny show, but the show decides to surprise you with wholesomeness out of nowhere.
"The answer, always, is the Wolves of Fenris, because they are clinically insane."
-Lunar Wolves Captain Torgaddon on the subject of the toughest Space Marine Legion.

"Bribery and threats are always popular, but generally avoided, especially if you're likely to attract inquisitorial attention as they're better at both and tend to resent other people resorting to their methods."

May 19, 2018, 03:18:36 PM
Reply #3946
I finally was able to catch up on My Hero Academia recently, and it is a good season so far. I would talk about the OP, but I think that is a topic people have gone over enough, as for me, I liked the song loved the visuals but wasn't thrilled with them being together. One thing has been bothering me however, when is Mei Hatsume going to make another appearance? She's honestly my favorite character in the show right now(is she even classified as a hero since she's in the support class?), she shows up in the ED so she has to have some kind of appearance this season right? Right???

The season hasn't been a let down at all so far, but I would be lying if I said that Toga wasn't the reason why I'm hyped for the next episode. Her character design and demeanor are just so cool, can't wait to see more of her.

Now there's a man I can respect.

Being caught up in the manga, and without giving away specific spoilers, I can reassure Mei will be back soon, possibly even this season, given the amount of episodes to go. She's also my favorite character, which is funny because she doesn't seem very interesting in the manga, but the anime improved her so much, especially her introduction scene in the sports festival, that was unforgettable. She's not a hero though, only those in the hero course itself will become heroes, she only makes the equipment to support the actual heroes.

I had a weird opinion of Toga at first, I thought the "creepy murderous schoolgirl" depiction wasn't going to cut it for a villain, but there's something so great about her, especially since I love the way her face is drawn (which the author claims is pretty difficult). And once again, the animation makes it even better.

One thing that I find funny is how I want to bash how there is a clear black and white morality, with the whole heroes vs villains thing, and how the villains don't have much more going to them other than that they want to be evil for the sake of it. Yet at the same time their depiction is really great, even if at the end most will root for the hero side anyway.

May 20, 2018, 03:24:31 AM
Reply #3947
FRANXX is going in directions I've never seen before in anime.

May 20, 2018, 10:26:34 AM
Reply #3948
Now there's a man I can respect.

Being caught up in the manga, and without giving away specific spoilers, I can reassure Mei will be back soon, possibly even this season, given the amount of episodes to go. She's also my favorite character, which is funny because she doesn't seem very interesting in the manga, but the anime improved her so much, especially her introduction scene in the sports festival, that was unforgettable. She's not a hero though, only those in the hero course itself will become heroes, she only makes the equipment to support the actual heroes.

I had a weird opinion of Toga at first, I thought the "creepy murderous schoolgirl" depiction wasn't going to cut it for a villain, but there's something so great about her, especially since I love the way her face is drawn (which the author claims is pretty difficult). And once again, the animation makes it even better.

One thing that I find funny is how I want to bash how there is a clear black and white morality, with the whole heroes vs villains thing, and how the villains don't have much more going to them other than that they want to be evil for the sake of it. Yet at the same time their depiction is really great, even if at the end most will root for the hero side anyway.

Well you know what they say, great minds think alike. :lol: Her 'fight' against Iida in the tournament arc was one of my favorite scenes from the whole show.

I agree on the point with Toga, the way she is portrayed and animated is just so perfect, really adds another level to her character. Don't know why but I just really like characters who are a bit crazy. On the whole I like the villains a lot more than previously, like the guy who can create clones of other people with his quirk. I'm really bad with names so I can't really remember his...

FRANXX is going in directions I've never seen before in anime.

This is the anime that has kept me surprised every week, I honestly love the fact that I don't know if the next episode will be SoL (to an extent) or a Mech fight.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:19:10 AM by Thatpony »

May 27, 2018, 07:25:43 AM
Reply #3949
Oh FRANXX, you dirty little tease! You waited such a long time to spill the backstory! Mmm but it feels so good~