Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: The Anime & Manga Thread (Almost) Anything goes!  (Read 145300 times)

January 03, 2018, 05:23:23 AM
Reply #3575
Just finished the Anzio OVA and GuP Der Film... Sorry Pravda, but step aside for Anzio! Why is Anchovy so awesome/adorable!? That aside, Der Film was an absolute blast! I loved the exhibition at the beginning and the final battle was actually really intense, and was such a fun one too! All of the schools came up big time and were awesome.

One thing I especially like was the parts where we couldn't hear Miho giving out commands, really gave a feeling that we were a part of the audience just enjoying the match. That and it left us guessing what they were planning, and allowed us to just watch their tactics unfold and not already know what they were doing.

Anchovy is pretty fun, more than I thought she would be from her initial design. Glad you liked der Film! I need to rewatch it again soon, it was so enjoyable.

Wythe Wynter oppon osse yt sims proodynt too tæk a lokke atte the skœdule and pyrhaps fænd a fuoo moore shews I mæt fænd mæsœlf waughchyng.

Ancient Magus Bride is obvious, as is Garo: Vanishing line. Mirage had mentioned Overlord 2, so I may start the first one and. Violet Evergarden also seems like the sentimental kind of claptrap I'd be into, so I'll be sure to give that a shot. Grancrest Senki could be good or abyssmal; we'll have to see. Hey look! It's Dagashi Kashi 2!
Koi wa Ameagari no You ni looks... like it may be be garbage. I'll give it a shot. Kokkoku could be interesting or laden with cringe. It depends on the characters and performances, honestly. Hakata Tonkatsu Ramen falls into the same category. Killing Bites.. hey Mirage, I think I've got another one for your dumpster! Citrus... hey Info, I think I've got another one for your dumpster! Junji Itō Collection *drools*. Yuru Camp looks like it might be great; there's just something about it that makes me think I might enjoy it. Hakumei to Mikochi has an art style that immediately draws me in, and the synopsis brings me back to my childhood. This is something I will definitely be keeping my eye on.

Violet Evergarden is already on my list, sounds really interesting. And so does Citrus, I will definitely have to give that a watch.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

<3[/spoiler]

January 03, 2018, 03:40:43 PM
Reply #3576
And done with Houseki no Kuni...

I... Really don't know what to say about that ending?

Visually and audibly, this show was stunning. That alone made this show worth checking out. The action scenes were exceptional, the scenery shots were exceptional, the way they animated characters cracking, shattering and otherwise splitting was exceptional. They actually looked like they were made of various minerals.

I absolutely loved every single character, even Bort after some time passed. For such a large cast, they managed to make each character memorable. I just wish we got more Best Girl Dia... Or Antarcticite...

Story wise was... Huh. I need a second season. They ended on an otherwise normal episode but they've foreshadowed some serious ominous implications and it's painfully obvious the story isn't over. Looked for myself, there is indeed a manga (I had initially thought this wasn't an adaptation) and it's somewhat further along than the show is. Enough for a second cour? Maybe?

I'm not gonna read the manga, though. I can't go from one of the best looking shows in awhile to a manga that hooonestly just doesn't look good. The story is good, but the centerpiece for this is the artistic direction. I can only hope this show garners enough success for a second season.

OP/ED: Decent. It matches the show, song is chill and relaxing, maybe even a bit sad. ED basically the same feelings, but the ED is traditionally drawn which is an interesting choice.

... 8/10? I'm thinking 8/10. If I'm rating Black Rock Shooter a 10/10 on its artistic direction alone, then I should do the same here instead of defaulting to 7/10 due to its overtly sudden ending.

Tempting...

January 03, 2018, 04:11:48 PM
Reply #3577
I have seen the first two episodes of Made in Abyss.  Wow is this show slower than molasses in January.  The whole appeal of the show are spelunking 12 year olds and we've barely seen spelunking.  Lotta setup, lotta slow-paced talking scenes yet I don't feel like I know any of these characters beyond their stereotypes.  No action outside of a very brief encounter with a monster at the beginning of episode 1.  For a 13 episode series, this pacing is sinful!  I sure hope once the kids get to the caves of depression, things pick up.

The only scene I really liked was Leader telling Riko about her mom.  She spoke so fondly about her being a drunken wreck who, if not for spelunking, would have amounted to nothing.  That's how me and my friends talk about each other.  It's only moment where anyone felt like a person.  Riko's always a hyper fangirl, Reg's always quiet and speaking softly, and even Leader himself surprises me when he's not stern and frowning.  So, yeah, the one time anyone's been human so far.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 04:14:03 PM by Andrew »

January 03, 2018, 05:34:04 PM
Reply #3578
I have seen the first two episodes of Made in Abyss.  Wow is this show slower than molasses in January.  The whole appeal of the show are spelunking 12 year olds and we've barely seen spelunking.  Lotta setup, lotta slow-paced talking scenes yet I don't feel like I know any of these characters beyond their stereotypes.  No action outside of a very brief encounter with a monster at the beginning of episode 1.  For a 13 episode series, this pacing is sinful!  I sure hope once the kids get to the caves of depression, things pick up.

The only scene I really liked was Leader telling Riko about her mom.  She spoke so fondly about her being a drunken wreck who, if not for spelunking, would have amounted to nothing.  That's how me and my friends talk about each other.  It's only moment where anyone felt like a person.  Riko's always a hyper fangirl, Reg's always quiet and speaking softly, and even Leader himself surprises me when he's not stern and frowning.  So, yeah, the one time anyone's been human so far.

MiA does have pacing problems at first. You will hardly see any of the surface after the third episode, however. In addition, the anime series only tells the first part of the story so far - the manga has twice as much story to it and that itself feels like it's not even reached the halfway point. The thirteenth episode is double length, too. We've had an announcement for the second season (or perhaps a follow-on movie), and if that is as well received as the first was then we'll also see seasons three, four, and possibly more. So don't think of it as a thirteen episode series, think of it as the first thirteen episodes of a story that will go for who knows how long yet. Going by the manga, it feels like the real story begins around episode 11 or 12 and will continue.
There's actually a lot of world building that goes on in those first episodes where they're still on the surface. They tell us a lot about the setting in subtle ways without the viewer even realising it. The show is definitely on a slow burn, though.

Oh, and regarding Riko - She's been fascinated with the abyss all her life and seeing the bottom of it is her life goal, more important to her than anything else. There's a possible reason, or at least part of the reason, in a reveal about half way through the season. It's also pretty interesting to see how strongly Riko holds on to her goal despite major difficulties, as illustrated by something Nanachi points out in episode 11 or 12.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:12:10 PM by infohippie »

<3[/spoiler]

January 04, 2018, 11:29:31 AM
Reply #3579
Hmm, Academia's pretty good so far.

I haven't gotten to her yet, but based off what I read, I think froggy waifu's going to be my favorite character.

January 05, 2018, 06:43:18 AM
Reply #3580
Personally Made in Abyss' slow start is fine in my opinion. Her entire decision to quite literally throw her life away rests on several key moments that happen on the surface and attempting to rush thru all of that in 1-2 episodes would end up having me question Riko's suicidal decision even AFTER the spoilery reveal.

In addition, choosing to sort of brush past the cast of characters Riko sees as family on the surface would diminish the actual weight of her decision to leave everything behind permanently at all.

... I will say though, if I had to levy a complaint against the show, some of the characters are pretty flat. Kids get something of a pass, realistically speaking, children are one dimensional because that's how children just are. I think the main reason I don't really care too much about Riko is because of how much of a one track mind she has. Leader has a moment here and there but he's rather forgettable. Reg is fine though, his character makes a lot of sense for a amnesia stricken robot whose only purpose he has is to accompany Riko. But the characters introduced in the Abyss... UNF the writer stepped things up once he got going.

Trying to pick a gem from Houseki no Kuni to change my profile theme to is... difficult.

Antarcticite for the feels train? Pho for cute gem butt? Diamond for the most important smile ever smiled? Cinnabar for Best Tsundere? Choices choices...

January 05, 2018, 08:42:41 AM
Reply #3581
Personally Made in Abyss' slow start is fine in my opinion. Her entire decision to quite literally throw her life away rests on several key moments that happen on the surface and attempting to rush thru all of that in 1-2 episodes would end up having me question Riko's suicidal decision even AFTER the spoilery reveal.

In addition, choosing to sort of brush past the cast of characters Riko sees as family on the surface would diminish the actual weight of her decision to leave everything behind permanently at all.

... I will say though, if I had to levy a complaint against the show, some of the characters are pretty flat. Kids get something of a pass, realistically speaking, children are one dimensional because that's how children just are. I think the main reason I don't really care too much about Riko is because of how much of a one track mind she has. Leader has a moment here and there but he's rather forgettable. Reg is fine though, his character makes a lot of sense for a amnesia stricken robot whose only purpose he has is to accompany Riko. But the characters introduced in the Abyss... UNF the writer stepped things up once he got going.

True, and personally I really liked the initial episodes. Though I was also impatient at first to get into more of the Abyss itself, when I realised the show wasn't going to be popping down into the Abyss and returning to the surface all the time and that Riko intended to head for the bottom and probably never return was when those surface episodes really took on their importance. The pacing is definitely an issue during the second layer storyline however, and has led some people to drop the show, but once they leave the Seeker Camp wow does it pick up. The whole story is on a slow build and (in season 2) seeing the Idofront arc animated, along with whatever is happening in Narehate Village, is going to be amazing.

<3[/spoiler]

January 05, 2018, 08:32:45 PM
Reply #3582
Oh no, my problem isn't that they aren't getting the Abyss fast enough.  My problem is that no matter what happens, what could be done in two minutes and explained in great detail will be exaggerated to eight minutes and somehow explained in little detail.  Two episodes in and I don't understand this world, why people have to go to the Abyss, why the kids have to go, so on.  And if they did explain, then it wasn't interesting enough to remember.

As my avatar shows, My Hero Academia is pretty good so far.  It's a fun love letter to all the types of superhero stories: the goofy and comical camp of the 60s (or the tokusatsu of 70s Japan I guess), the deconstructionism of modern American comic books, the gritty and dark of 90s American comics (Stain Stain Stain Stain Stain Stain Stain), the simplicity and weirdness of the silver age, and so on.  I dig it.  I really dig it.

January 05, 2018, 10:17:14 PM
Reply #3583
First episode of Junji Ito Collection basically ended up being... About what I expected in terms of quality, though perhaps not what I had hoped for. A fair amount of scenes where the only moving object on the screen is somebody's mouth. The show frame for frame looked good, but it did not look polished, if that makes sense. I'm content.

I'm kinda confused as to how the show's structure is gonna be, like was that short Doll Transformation scene a teaser for next episode or was that it?

... Also I'm gonna read Houseki no Kuni's manga, despite what I said. Although I'm not crazy for the general artstyle, I found some pages here and there look absolutely greato. And I don't know if I can wait on a Season 2 that will never come. I find it funny I'm reading a bunch of different manga lately but I've STILL not properly begun reading Re:ZERO. Still want to... Just too lazy to read actual paragraphs.

January 06, 2018, 07:17:14 AM
Reply #3584
First episode of Junji Ito Collection basically ended up being... About what I expected in terms of quality, though perhaps not what I had hoped for. A fair amount of scenes where the only moving object on the screen is somebody's mouth. The show frame for frame looked good, but it did not look polished, if that makes sense. I'm content.

I'm kinda confused as to how the show's structure is gonna be, like was that short Doll Transformation scene a teaser for next episode or was that it?

... Also I'm gonna read Houseki no Kuni's manga, despite what I said. Although I'm not crazy for the general artstyle, I found some pages here and there look absolutely greato. And I don't know if I can wait on a Season 2 that will never come. I find it funny I'm reading a bunch of different manga lately but I've STILL not properly begun reading Re:ZERO. Still want to... Just too lazy to read actual paragraphs.

As much as I respect the hell out of Junji Ito, this anime may be 2spoopy4me.

Houseki no Kuni hmm... oh! Steven Universe the anime! I don't know if I should see the anime first actually or read the manga.
See the bunny bees and puffs of steam from singing kettles in the trees. Bread and butterflies with fork and knives who like to make a meal of time.
Life is clockwork quick - lightning slow. Faster on your toes, so eat your sugared dream and taste the day before it runs away.

January 06, 2018, 08:21:18 AM
Reply #3585
Oh no, my problem isn't that they aren't getting the Abyss fast enough.  My problem is that no matter what happens, what could be done in two minutes and explained in great detail will be exaggerated to eight minutes and somehow explained in little detail.  Two episodes in and I don't understand this world, why people have to go to the Abyss, why the kids have to go, so on.  And if they did explain, then it wasn't interesting enough to remember.

I thought they explained it pretty well myself, and in a way that seemed natural rather than deliberate exposition. People go into the Abyss to find relics, some of which have useful and occasionally quite powerful functions, and all of which can be sold overseas for good money, even the useless and common ones found near the top. The kids go in because their orphanage is run by the explorers guild and sale of artifacts is the orphanage's primary source of income. The world is a bit Dickensian, so the orphans have to earn their keep.

<3[/spoiler]

January 06, 2018, 12:42:02 PM
Reply #3586
I just finished Princess Principal and what a fun series that was! It was one of those rare times that I was actually invested in the characters, and the whole aesthetic of the show was really cool. It's like a Cold War spy showdown except not Cold war era and in Victorian London, and some steampunk added in the mix.

Watched the first episode of Yuru camp and man do I want to go camping in the cold with a nice book! The whole thing was just so relaxing and cozy, can't wait for the next episode.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:46:22 PM by Thatpony »
"The answer, always, is the Wolves of Fenris, because they are clinically insane."
-Lunar Wolves Captain Torgaddon on the subject of the toughest Space Marine Legion.

"Bribery and threats are always popular, but generally avoided, especially if you're likely to attract inquisitorial attention as they're better at both and tend to resent other people resorting to their methods."
-Commissar Ciaphas Cain on winning over Tribunals.

I've been brainwashed so many times there is nothing left in here but soap suds

January 06, 2018, 01:46:41 PM
Reply #3587
As much as I respect the hell out of Junji Ito, this anime may be 2spoopy4me.

Houseki no Kuni hmm... oh! Steven Universe the anime! I don't know if I should see the anime first actually or read the manga.

I mean, watch episode 1 to decide for yourself. It was one of Junji's more comedy centric stories so I don't think that should be of concern.

... Watch the anime. I'm told the manga is worth starting over for, but watch the bloody anime first.
Very fast Diamond running at incredible hihg speed
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:39:46 PM by Mirage Seraph »

January 07, 2018, 03:41:52 PM
Reply #3588
WELP

https://myfigurecollection.net/item/655901

That's more money I'm gonna be dropping on figures, thanks Good Smile Company.

January 07, 2018, 04:12:13 PM
Reply #3589
AMB's new OP/ED are unfortunately drab, but the series remains amazing.

I watched the first episode of The Eccentric Family, and while I don't care for the art, love the setting and overall writing despite feeling confused by parts.
See the bunny bees and puffs of steam from singing kettles in the trees. Bread and butterflies with fork and knives who like to make a meal of time.
Life is clockwork quick - lightning slow. Faster on your toes, so eat your sugared dream and taste the day before it runs away.

January 07, 2018, 09:40:21 PM
Reply #3590
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKrmlyl-_Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKrmlyl-_Y</a>

Ten billion iceberg emotions emerge because flames are existential daddy issues.

I'll have a whack at this.  Child self-harms to enter special needs school.  Terrorist envies his penis.  Eat my hair.  Skeletor is teacher fifty minutes daily.  Man has tail, because.  Midoriya is very good baseball pitcher.  Self-harmer, terrorist, Skeletor, and friends defend Disneyland from helping hands.  Running bandanas tournament emotions.  Sonic the Hedgehog's brother is murdered by Spawn.  He is avenged.  No one likes grape soda.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:51:13 PM by Andrew »

January 11, 2018, 04:14:27 AM
Reply #3591
So I don't really know why, but I jumped through a few hoops to try out Kantai Collection.

I uh. I see why this game is so well regarded. Very simple gameplay to just have in a second browser. And all of those delicious ship girls. Game better give me my Tenryuu soon...

... That's all, just felt like mentioning that. Season First Impressions soon...

January 11, 2018, 04:51:04 PM
Reply #3592

January 11, 2018, 09:55:29 PM
Reply #3593
I wasn't gonna say anything about that until something more concrete popped up, but re-reading that apparently it's filed under the producers for parts 1-3... Which uh... Basically means we Part 5 soon.

... Well, soon is a strong word. If the trademark has just been filed then I doubt it's very far into production.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:56:55 PM by Mirage Seraph »

January 12, 2018, 08:18:29 PM
Reply #3594
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:19:25 PM by Andrew »

January 15, 2018, 12:27:59 AM
Reply #3595
Alright Season Impressions because I like to condense my opinions into singular blocks of text to assist me in digesting everything.

No sense in mentioning Ancient Magus' Bride second cour, I'm gonna watch it so~

Might check out Violet Evergarden if anybody would ever say anything whatsoever about it besides that it exists thus it's AOTY (It's January guys, chill out). I like KyoAni as much as the next guy but if somebody could tell me why everyone is so excited for this show I'd appreciate it.

No standouts for a 9/10+ yet. Maybe Pop Team Epic if it can retain this level of insanity without getting old. I highly doubt Overlord will overcome my 9/10 wall.

Is it Spring yet? I wanna watch more Boku no Hero.

January 15, 2018, 03:57:18 AM
Reply #3596
Here's a meta game for you all: Anime/Manga You Beg People to Watch/Read

My list: FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Hunter x Hunter, Berserk (manga), Little Witch Academia, Kekkai Sensen, Spice & Wolf, The Eccentric Family

January 15, 2018, 04:50:17 AM
Reply #3597

I swear to whatever is out there I swear you know what you're doing.

Shin Sekai Yori

I aint gonna stop until SOMEBODY gets back to me on this. That said I wouldn't recommend it to a newcomer. That'd be akin to giving somebody who just finished Naruto as their first anime ever and handing them the Madoka Magica boxset.

Other stuff I WOULD beg people to read, FLCL, TTGL, etc, stuff a lot of people have... well, already seen!

Sooo I'd rather recommend shows that match or exceed those shows in pure, unfiltered "good", but went more or less under the radar for the mainstream.

Shin Sekai Yori - One of, if not the best show I've ever seen, and yet nobody watches it. Though to be fair, I wouldn't recommend it newcomers.
Houseki no Kuni - CGI done right. (Black Rock Shooter used to sit here but... C'mon man, did you see Diamond's cleavage?)
Clannad - "It's just a cartoon, you can't feel anything from a cartoon."
Flip Flappers - Did you like FLCL? Do like light yuri undertones? Do you like visual ecstasy? Regardless of your answers, watch Flip Flappers because nobody else did.
Hajime no Ippo - "This show is so old, it looks so bad, what are those facial expressions" That's Madhouse.

January 15, 2018, 04:53:09 AM
Reply #3598
I will not nor will I ever watch, play, or read Clannad. Pass that along to Info too.

January 15, 2018, 02:05:09 PM
Reply #3599

Literally anything I suggest to my friends tbh. They all watch anime and stuff (hell they're the ones that even got me into anime) but refuse to watch anything I recommend. Though the one that I've been really trying to get them to watch is Princess Principal, which is one of my favorites from last year.

And I know it's terrible but I really really want one of them to watch Madoka Magica, I need them to know why I love it so much.

Shin Sekai Yori

I aint gonna stop until SOMEBODY gets back to me on this. That said I wouldn't recommend it to a newcomer. That'd be akin to giving somebody who just finished Naruto as their first anime ever and handing them the Madoka Magica boxset.

Hell I'll put it on my plan to watch, I've been mostly staying away from stuff like that but the premise seems interesting. Just to get a feel for what I'm getting into, how hard is this on the feels meter on a scale of one to ten?

And about Violet Evergarden, I watched the first episode and I thought it was pretty good. I don't get why people say it's gonna be AOTY, but I guess its got a pretty big hype train right now and you know how people are when it comes to hype.
"The answer, always, is the Wolves of Fenris, because they are clinically insane."
-Lunar Wolves Captain Torgaddon on the subject of the toughest Space Marine Legion.

"Bribery and threats are always popular, but generally avoided, especially if you're likely to attract inquisitorial attention as they're better at both and tend to resent other people resorting to their methods."
-Commissar Ciaphas Cain on winning over Tribunals.

I've been brainwashed so many times there is nothing left in here but soap suds