Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: The Anime & Manga Thread (Almost) Anything goes!  (Read 79449 times)

April 15, 2017, 06:30:03 PM
Reply #2925
I love Mob Psycho so much. ONE has this way of dissecting characters that is so simple but amazing. It's one thing to make overpowered characters humble but something else entirely to give them problems that trivialize their powers. It's like how Saitama can defeat every foe he encounters but deals with things which can't fought physically. Mob too may as well be helpless against his problems, and none of it even feels contrived. I just can't express how much I love this writing.

April 16, 2017, 03:36:30 AM
Reply #2926
Must saying I'm enjoying Love Live more than I expected. Catchy music, likable characters, cute girls doing cute things, pretty much what I was hoping for. Definitely has that uplifting tone I was looking for, too.

Also, as much as I'm absolutely loving Nozomi, Umi's shy & serious personality is just winning out for me. The difference between them in the Best Girl contest is extremely slim as it stands but Nozomi is only falling further and further behind.

My only complaint as it stands is it's slightly jarring when it jumps to CG for the music scenes. That said, as far as CGI goes, it's actually pretty palatable. Frame rate doesn't drop Berserk style and the movement is fluid enough that it's only jarring on principle.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

April 16, 2017, 06:18:36 PM
Reply #2927
Berserk really blazed past Farnese and Serpico's backstories. The one thing which confused me was why it was not mentioned that Farnese's mother was burned as a heretic. It's a really important part of Farnese's history and goes a long way to explain why she is such a psychopath. But I guess they wanted to get the band together quickly. There's a long boat ride in their future.
Wait, it was Farnese's mother who got burned at the stake? How did I miss that? Thought it was just a random woman and that Farni just joined the burning or something.
Why was she burned anyways?
Avatar pic provided by bumbrwby12 on twitter.
Sign Image provided by pureparadiseon reddit.

April 16, 2017, 06:27:06 PM
Reply #2928
Wait, it was Farnese's mother who got burned at the stake? How did I miss that? Thought it was just a random woman and that Farni just joined the burning or something.

I think Grim just had a slip of the tongue, considering

... Also I thought you guys made a Berserk thread?  :monster:
Not that I particularly mind.

April 16, 2017, 09:29:38 PM
Reply #2929
Must saying I'm enjoying Love Live more than I expected. Catchy music, likable characters, cute girls doing cute things, pretty much what I was hoping for. Definitely has that uplifting tone I was looking for, too.

Also, as much as I'm absolutely loving Nozomi, Umi's shy & serious personality is just winning out for me. The difference between them in the Best Girl contest is extremely slim as it stands but Nozomi is only falling further and further behind.

My only complaint as it stands is it's slightly jarring when it jumps to CG for the music scenes. That said, as far as CGI goes, it's actually pretty palatable. Frame rate doesn't drop Berserk style and the movement is fluid enough that it's only jarring on principle.

I didn't really find much to interest me in Umi, or any of the other girls beyond Nozomi, Nico, and Maki. And Honoka, I suppose. This is in direct contract to The Idolmaster where, despite a larger roster of characters, every one was unique and interesting and there was something to like about them all - except the Futami twins, perhaps, who are just annoying but at least still unique among the group.
Though I shouldn't complain about Love Live too much since I do actually quite enjoy it, I don't want to give the impression that I dislike the show.

April 16, 2017, 10:17:42 PM
Reply #2930

Yeah, you're right. I don't know why I thought that.

April 17, 2017, 04:53:28 AM
Reply #2931
I didn't really find much to interest me in Umi, or any of the other girls beyond Nozomi, Nico, and Maki. And Honoka, I suppose. This is in direct contract to The Idolmaster where, despite a larger roster of characters, every one was unique and interesting and there was something to like about them all - except the Futami twins, perhaps, who are just annoying but at least still unique among the group.
Though I shouldn't complain about Love Live too much since I do actually quite enjoy it, I don't want to give the impression that I dislike the show.

Considering the large cast, I'm gonna withhold judgement of it until I've at least finished season 1, but so far I see where you're coming from to a degree. I can barely recall the two underclassmen (blonde shy one and miss catgirl) for example, and I feel like Emi went from this great enigmatic roadblock to "she's just sorta there serving as a banner of morale". Nico I was expecting to really like but I just find her personality unlikable, funnily enough. Not to say I dislike seeing her on screen, that's another matter, personally think she's a fantastic character, just a tastes thing.

And well, assuming I enjoy Love Live to completion, I have every intention of giving Idolmaster a shot as well, though unlikely it'll be immediately afterwards. Gotta resume reading Re:ZERO, watching Eternal my Master, Magus' Bride and the Kizumonogatari trilogy once Part 3's been subbed.

April 17, 2017, 06:32:50 PM
Reply #2932
Nico I was expecting to really like but I just find her personality unlikable, funnily enough. Not to say I dislike seeing her on screen, that's another matter, personally think she's a fantastic character, just a tastes thing.

Nico is my other favourite apart from Nozomi, but I do agree she is pretty irritating. She's extremely cute, though! :P
Actually, one of my favourite Idolmaster characters - Iori - is also annoying in a similar way, but she is entertaining.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 06:57:52 PM by infohippie »

April 18, 2017, 09:46:21 AM
Reply #2933
black butler is really good you would love it
as the blood stained moon arises the undead lord
stalks the night looking for his next meal

April 18, 2017, 03:02:54 PM
Reply #2934
Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) is pretty good but it's not without its problems. As in, the entirety of Season 2 existing at all. Don't know what it is with directors(?) thinking the best option for a hugely popular franchise is to diverge from the manga but oh well. At any rate, yeah, it's a good series aside from that. Great OP/EDs to boot.

Book of Circus more or less redeemed itself from Season 2 for me, Book of Murder was okayish... Following this pattern Book of the Atlantic should be good but I haven't got around to it.

April 18, 2017, 11:04:15 PM
Reply #2935
I looked at Black Butler a couple of times but it didn't really grab me.

April 19, 2017, 12:28:57 PM
Reply #2936
I wonder how much thought was given to the individual titan designs on AoT. This is something I pondered the first time I watched the series. There are titans that seem purposefully designed as though they were modeled after real people. Imagine if some of the 'hero' models, that is to say the ones shown in detail up close, were based on members of the studio, friends of the developers, etc.

April 19, 2017, 02:05:14 PM
Reply #2937
I wonder how much thought was given to the individual titan designs on AoT. This is something I pondered the first time I watched the series. There are titans that seem purposefully designed as though they were modeled after real people. Imagine if some of the 'hero' models, that is to say the ones shown in detail up close, were based on members of the studio, friends of the developers, etc.

Considering they're going for the uncanny valley effect, I'd be surprised if every single titan model wasn't drawn with a model (or caricature, such as Titan-chan) in mind.

April 19, 2017, 03:02:58 PM
Reply #2938
Considering they're going for the uncanny valley effect, I'd be surprised if every single titan model wasn't drawn with a model (or caricature, such as Titan-chan) in mind.

You remember beard titan right? He seemed particularly like he was based directly off of someone. His features were just so specific.

Also I am nearly done with Mob Psycho and dreading not having more. One is such an inspiration as well, given his art is so terrible, but his writing was so good that it carried him to success. It restores a measure of hope, that people are still interested in good stories.

On the subject of art, what a study of opposites: MP100 and AoT.

In closing, Sasha remains best girl.

April 19, 2017, 06:30:50 PM
Reply #2939
I started watching the first few episodes of Urara Meirochou with Tia a few days ago. It is fun so far, with great characters and an interesting setting. I don't know when we'll get the chance to continue it, though.

Still watching K-On!! in the evenings with my dinner, and I'm still really enjoying it. I don't know why I never watched it before, best and most fun music-themed anime I've seen. Even though I'm three quarters of the way into the second season I still can't work out whether Azusa or Mio is Best Girl. And Tsumugi is pretty close behind. Yui and Ritsu are fun, but they don't appeal quite as much.
Hey, it's a moe show, it has to have a Best Girl. :P
It is interesting how Mio, as the shy one of the group, is often their lead singer and main songwriter.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:36:01 PM by infohippie »

April 20, 2017, 03:03:00 AM
Reply #2940
I started watching the first few episodes of Urara Meirochou with Tia a few days ago. It is fun so far, with great characters and an interesting setting. I don't know when we'll get the chance to continue it, though.

Lemme know how that goes, that's a show that is in my "I'd watch it but I don't know enough about it to put it in my list" list.

First season of Love Live done, and two episodes into Season 2. I think I have something negative to say about it now though. It is VERY on the nose with its enthusiasm. I get it Honoka, you can do it, you can do everything you put your mind to, stop screaming it at your friends 5 feet away please. Aside from that, I'm liking this more and more as I continue. Hopefully the "Honoka can't stop quitting" thing is over, you have my interest show, don't lose it by pulling the same thing a third time.

In more important news, Sagiri from Eromanga-sensei is Best Girl of the season hands down no questions asked anybody who disagreed is gaijin trash. I'd post a cute gif of her but the Internet isn't in on this quality imouto just yet.

Lastly, adding something to my Watch List. -Ahem-
WorldEnd: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
No that's not three different shows. Freaking LNs need to calm down with their names... Anyways, I'm seeing this show thrown around a lot, and from what I've read of what its about it seems really interesting. But because "LN" a lot of people are passing it up this season. I'll get to starting it tomorrow probs.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:18:20 AM by Mirage Seraph »

April 20, 2017, 06:32:36 PM
Reply #2941
Lemme know how that goes, that's a show that is in my "I'd watch it but I don't know enough about it to put it in my list" list.

Well I certainly enjoyed the first few episodes a lot. I'll let you know if that keeps up.

First season of Love Live done, and two episodes into Season 2. I think I have something negative to say about it now though. It is VERY on the nose with its enthusiasm. I get it Honoka, you can do it, you can do everything you put your mind to, stop screaming it at your friends 5 feet away please. Aside from that, I'm liking this more and more as I continue. Hopefully the "Honoka can't stop quitting" thing is over, you have my interest show, don't lose it by pulling the same thing a third time.

Yeah, it does get VERY into all that enthusiasm. :) I think season 2 is more fun than season 1, though.

In more important news, Sagiri from Eromanga-sensei is Best Girl of the season hands down no questions asked anybody who disagreed is gaijin trash. I'd post a cute gif of her but the Internet isn't in on this quality imouto just yet.

I am looking forward to that. I've still got quite a bit of K-On!! left though, and the movie afterwards, so it might be a few weeks yet until I start it. Maybe I should just begin on the new shows anyway, I'm sure I'll still have a few episodes a week of K-On!! anyway.

Lastly, adding something to my Watch List. -Ahem-
WorldEnd: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
No that's not three different shows. Freaking LNs need to calm down with their names... Anyways, I'm seeing this show thrown around a lot, and from what I've read of what its about it seems really interesting. But because "LN" a lot of people are passing it up this season. I'll get to starting it tomorrow probs.

Yeah, I am intrigued by this show. I came across it a week or two ago and I've added it to my watch list as well. I don't know why some people get snobby about anime that's based on a light novel, many of my favourite shows began as light novels.

April 20, 2017, 08:12:47 PM
Reply #2942
I like the AoT art for the most part, but those outlines get way too thick at times. Also Hanji is now best girl.

April 21, 2017, 02:30:36 AM
Reply #2943
I am looking forward to that. I've still got quite a bit of K-On!! left though, and the movie afterwards, so it might be a few weeks yet until I start it. Maybe I should just begin on the new shows anyway, I'm sure I'll still have a few episodes a week of K-On!! anyway.

Great thing about watching Seasonal shows is that the time investment is very minimal. You've got ~13 weeks to put maybe 4-5 hours of your time aside. Downside is that it takes ~13 weeks to get through 4-5 hours of a show. Then of course there's the dreaded "will we get a season 2" period where you usually don't even get the (sad) relief of being told you won't get one.

Yeah, I am intrigued by this show. I came across it a week or two ago and I've added it to my watch list as well. I don't know why some people get snobby about anime that's based on a light novel, many of my favourite shows began as light novels.

I can kinda understand it. Light Novel's are kinda known for being pretty shallow but still getting really popular (SAO, Asterisk War, Seraph of the End). But yeah, by no means is that grounds for writing LN adaptations off. Much as I'd love more original shows like Flip Flappers (cause Flip Flappers was freaking great), you can't deny the quality of things like Spice & Wolf. ... Also on that note,

April 21, 2017, 04:39:49 AM
Reply #2944

EDIT: I thought it was just a funny reply but that would give too much of a hint for those who havent read the AoT manga so nothing to read here sorry :monster:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:41:18 AM by PokePony »

₪ lllo.
I am a rarity.
Please like my artist FB page here

April 21, 2017, 09:51:19 AM
Reply #2945
I'd forgotten that AoT is such a misery fest. It's a series that truly pushes the boundaries in animated depictions of failure.

April 22, 2017, 08:27:38 AM
Reply #2946
I'd forgotten that AoT is such a misery fest. It's a series that truly pushes the boundaries in animated depictions of failure.
Yeah, but did it's protagonist get raped, never met his mother, his step-mother died of plague and he was accused of it, was betrayed by what he once considered a friend and lost an arm?
Avatar pic provided by bumbrwby12 on twitter.
Sign Image provided by pureparadiseon reddit.

April 23, 2017, 01:12:37 AM
Reply #2947
S1 AOT Spoilers ahead. 4 year old show, not spoiler tagging this, but still.

Yeah, but did it's protagonist get raped

Does vore count?

never met his mother, his step-mother died of plague and he was accused of it

No but he watched her get eaten as he was helplessly dragged away. Least Guts didn't really care either way.

was betrayed by what he once considered a friend

Yeah, actually.

and lost an arm?

It's a technicality but I'm gonna say yes.

April 23, 2017, 02:04:06 AM
Reply #2948
Getting raped might as well be an initiation ritual for Berserk characters. And right when Guts starts making progress with his rape issues the girl who's helping him gets raped so hard that her mind breaks. That's one clanging streak of luck.

April 23, 2017, 03:57:34 PM
Reply #2949
I'll be right annoyed if AoT kills off all the coolest characters. I wonder too if the current ED for season two offers clues into some of the series' mysteries.