Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: The Anime & Manga Thread (Almost) Anything goes!  (Read 97413 times)

November 21, 2017, 03:00:51 AM
Reply #3475
Uuugh I honestly can't decide between them. I'm glad you already made a choice because I'm kinda suffering with my options.

Koto looks GREAT and has a good price (if AmiAmi gets more in stock) but it's rather small.

Freeing has Mitty, colors look aight, but fuzzy base isn't my thing. Also Nanachi's eyes are closed which is kinda eh.

Toy's pose and 1/7th scale are doing it for me but it's part of a set which bothers my inner collector as I'm not invested enough to buy THREE 1/7th figures. Also the arms are kinda.. Off looking.

Guess I'mma keep waiting. Which is fine, what with my Miia coming in January or so.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:03:34 AM by Mirage Seraph »

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

November 21, 2017, 03:36:03 AM
Reply #3476
Yeah, those arms do look a bit odd. The ears seem wrong too, and I'm not sold on the pose. Nanachi is pretty small anyway, 1/7th scale might not be too different from Kotobukiya's 135mm. After reading the manga I'm certainly invested enough to buy figures of all three main characters though. Plus there's at least three other characters I want figures of too. And if anyone releases a large sculpt of Nanachi and Mitty in the elevator about to go down, I'd have to think pretty hard about that.

<3[/spoiler]

November 21, 2017, 03:55:34 AM
Reply #3477
Yeah, those arms do look a bit odd. The ears seem wrong too, and I'm not sold on the pose. Nanachi is pretty small anyway, 1/7th scale might not be too different from Kotobukiya's 135mm. After reading the manga I'm certainly invested enough to buy figures of all three main characters though. Plus there's at least three other characters I want figures of too.

I'd have to see better angles of it to really be sure of it, but it's probably not a deal breaker to me. Also prototype... Can hope it gets retouched at the very least? Ears just look too big though. Hum.

Also I simply can't justify spending THAT much on just Made in Abyss. If I were to ever drop 500+ bucks on one show it'd be the Good Smile line of Black Rock Shooter statues.

... Unless Monster Musume started getting some more love then we'll talk. I'd totally be down for having a Miia shelf.

But yeah. I dunno. They're all good but none of them are perfect for me. It kinda just comes down to their prices and paints I guess.

And if anyone releases a large sculpt of Nanachi and Mitty in the elevator about to go down, I'd have to think pretty hard about that.

As much as I'd agree with this notion, I don't think I could bring myself to display that.

November 21, 2017, 04:07:57 AM
Reply #3478
I'd love a Bondrewd with arms outstretched to stand menacingly behind them.

Science demands this. It would be neat to also have Riko and Reg figures with lots of interchangeable pieces and accessories: standard cave raider helmets, Lyza's pickaxe, Reg with normal arms as well as ones shooting his retractable cables and him charging his incinerator, heads with different facial expressions ranging from happy and idealistic in layer one to cold existential horror in layer four.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:13:53 AM by Grim Noire »
See the bunny bees and puffs of steam from singing kettles in the trees. Bread and butterflies with fork and knives who like to make a meal of time.
Life is clockwork quick - lightning slow. Faster on your toes, so eat your sugared dream and taste the day before it runs away.

November 21, 2017, 04:12:31 AM
Reply #3479
Actually make that four additional characters I'd buy figures of, can't forget Marulk as well! So that's three MCs, plus Bondrewd, Prushka, Faputa, and Marulk. I'd kinda like a pre-ride Mitty as well.
Updated my earlier post to provide the pictures in full size, didn't realise what Imgur would do to them when posting from a phone. I still have the feeling the FREEing one will have a sculpted base and the fuzz is just for the prototype. Speaking of fuzz, plushies of Nanachi and Faputa would be wonderful too. I know someone's already made a Mitty plush.

As much as I'd agree with this notion, I don't think I could bring myself to display that.

Yeah, that's one of the factors I'd have to consider strongly. It's a great scene but might be a bit traumatic to have out on display.

Science demands this.

Hah, one of the best translated sound effects from the manga: "The rumble of scientific triumph".
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:18:45 AM by infohippie »

<3[/spoiler]

November 21, 2017, 04:14:03 AM
Reply #3480
And if anyone releases a large sculpt of Nanachi and Mitty in the elevator about to go down, I'd have to think pretty hard about that.

Why would you want something like that? A moment of such misery and impending horror frozen in time for display? :erwhat
See the bunny bees and puffs of steam from singing kettles in the trees. Bread and butterflies with fork and knives who like to make a meal of time.
Life is clockwork quick - lightning slow. Faster on your toes, so eat your sugared dream and taste the day before it runs away.

November 22, 2017, 12:17:37 AM
Reply #3481
Why would you want something like that? A moment of such misery and impending horror frozen in time for display? :erwhat

Well, there IS a certain appeal to it. It's a rather strong scene, and full blown sculpts/statues allow for some pretty great detail work. It'd make a pretty neato center piece.

Good conversation starter too, instead of having to explain why your shelf is full of half naked barbie dolls you can talk about the $500 rendition of the traumatic adventure of two lolis.

Just performed my first re-boxing (and detail cleaning) for my figures since I'm moving in a couple days..

A) I need to think of an alternative to just putting the spare parts in the side space of the plastic mold because that's probably not the best way to do it... Maybe tiny zip lock bags? Hum.
B) I hate finding extremely small imperfections in the paint I previously didn't notice. On display I'd never see it but ooh god that tiny, basically invisible, black speck on Emilia's inner thigh is driving me mad now.

November 22, 2017, 04:21:36 AM
Reply #3482
Still reading Gantz. A lot of time I genuinely thought "wtf am I reading ?". Obviously,
 I skipped a few moments because that was too freaking much like gee.
Besides that it's pretty good ! The only character I despised is dead so I hope she will stay that way lmao

₪ Ý lllēo.
I am a rarity.
Please like my artist FB page here

November 22, 2017, 05:16:39 AM
Reply #3483

<3[/spoiler]

November 24, 2017, 12:08:56 AM
Reply #3484
How wild the last two chapters of AOT were tho ?

Also I finished Gantz and I only have two words for this : Holy shit.

₪ Ý lllēo.
I am a rarity.

November 25, 2017, 03:40:31 AM
Reply #3485
Excuse me.

https://otakumode.com/shop/59faf3a000df9d71398bfdb1/Ani-Statue-Made-in-Abyss-Nanachi

So hey uh Info I think I know which Nanachi figure I'm getting.

Just ordered it. Not only did I get the constantly sold out figure for 50 freaking bucks, but free shipping to boot. Hurray for patience!

Like holy Jeeze I was prepared the spend ~$100 on this. I'm glad I've been lurking /r/animefigures.

November 25, 2017, 06:13:47 PM
Reply #3486
Let's see... What's Grim been up to?

Ah! I started reading Made in Abyss and just got to Nanachi's hut. Info-kun asked me to tell him when I reached this point, so... I reached this point.

Also this latest episode of AMB was a real heart-wrencher.

The latest Kekkai Sensen was also great. In related news the pope still shits in the woods. Neither are expected to change anytime soon.

November 26, 2017, 02:44:12 PM
Reply #3487
Whenever people talk about the ending of Angel Beats! making them super emotional and cry, especially the last episode, itís always the moment

that people seem to lose it at, and I get that, but what choked me up like crazy, even now whenever I think about it is moments before that when itís basically revealed what the entire premise of the show, all the drama, the laughs, the intrigue and wider feeling plot that existed particularly for the first half, what all of that existed in service of.

Like, thatís it. And itís super fucking sweet. It also makes some choice moments from the intro
really nice too.
I believed in M.A. Larson before it was cool.

The user formerly known as Dinkleberg

I feel like talking about Gurren Lagann for no reason because fuck you

November 26, 2017, 05:30:21 PM
Reply #3488
How wild the last two chapters of AOT were tho ?

Also I finished Gantz and I only have two words for this : Holy shit.

I've heard a lot about Gantz being edgy for the sake of edge. Was it really good then? And speaking of AoT, I really must get around to watching the second season. I've just had too many other (and better, despite how good AoT is) shows to watch. Speaking of which, Mirage, I'm probably going to finally start Shin Sekai Yori tonight, unless I'm so wiped out from work that I just need something light and fluffy. In which case, time to rewatch more K-On, most likely! :P

Excuse me.

https://otakumode.com/shop/59faf3a000df9d71398bfdb1/Ani-Statue-Made-in-Abyss-Nanachi

So hey uh Info I think I know which Nanachi figure I'm getting.

Just ordered it. Not only did I get the constantly sold out figure for 50 freaking bucks, but free shipping to boot. Hurray for patience!

Like holy Jeeze I was prepared the spend ~$100 on this. I'm glad I've been lurking /r/animefigures.

Nice find! I think mine will end up being about 8000円. Looking forward to the release of this one! Speaking of figures, my Nico Yazawa arrived and it's gorgeous.

Now I'm looking at this one, haha.

A lot of people dislike Nico because, to be honest, she is kinda self centred and bitchy to the other girls. But she's a good neesan to her siblings. and she throws the cutest tantrums. :monster:  Nico and Nozomi are my two favourite Love Live characters.

Let's see... What's Grim been up to?

Ah! I started reading Made in Abyss and just got to Nanachi's hut. Info-kun asked me to tell him when I reached this point, so... I reached this point.

Well, specifically I wanted to know when they are leaving Nanachi's because that means you'll be starting the next part of the story the anime does not yet cover. And you'll be meeting another cute and kind hearted character.

Whenever people talk about the ending of Angel Beats! making them super emotional and cry, especially the last episode, itís always the moment

that people seem to lose it at, and I get that, but what choked me up like crazy, even now whenever I think about it is moments before that when itís basically revealed what the entire premise of the show, all the drama, the laughs, the intrigue and wider feeling plot that existed particularly for the first half, what all of that existed in service of.

Like, thatís it. And itís super fucking sweet. It also makes some choice moments from the intro
really nice too.

It is really sweet, yeah. And I get choked up a few minutes before the part you mention, at the
Apparently many people also don't realise there is a post credits scene for that episode. How much more terrible would it be to watch this and not see that final hopeful part at the end?

Addendum: Made in Abyss second season announced!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:49:45 PM by infohippie »

<3[/spoiler]

November 26, 2017, 10:06:44 PM
Reply #3489
Have a brief Madoka comic, just in case you're smiling too much or haven't had anything to make you cry today. :P

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:14:39 PM by infohippie »

<3[/spoiler]

November 26, 2017, 10:30:15 PM
Reply #3490
I've heard a lot about Gantz being edgy for the sake of edge. Was it really good then? And speaking of AoT, I really must get around to watching the second season. I've just had too many other (and better, despite how good AoT is) shows to watch.

Idk, I didn't get that impression. I'm not gonna lie, there was a few things were I thought it was a bit too much, and from time to time I was like "wtf am I reading ?", but it wasn't that big of a deal. I read it because a good friend of mine recommended it, he told me the beginning was weird and boring but that I should keep it up until the third mission, because that's when things start to move a bit more. I guess it just depends on the person :)

And about AOT, I haven't finished the second season either, because I am so far in the manga. But I do want to watch every episode again just to have some HQ Levi action (y)

₪ Ý lllēo.
I am a rarity.

November 26, 2017, 11:56:18 PM
Reply #3491

Hmm, now that I see it closer up, maybe I don't want that one after all. The outfit is gorgeous but the sculpt of her face looks a bit munted, and the thighs look kinda strange. The one I bought, in her uniform and pink cardigan, looks much better.

<3[/spoiler]

November 27, 2017, 05:21:03 AM
Reply #3492
Just like with Madoka, I should have trusted my instincts with Made in Abyss and not started it. I'd very much like to resent those who recommended it to me, but it's not not I was under mind control or coercion. I really only have myself to blame.

November 27, 2017, 06:25:29 AM
Reply #3493
Just like with Madoka, I should have trusted my instincts with Made in Abyss and not started it. I'd very much like to resent those who recommended it to me, but it's not not I was under mind control or coercion. I really only have myself to blame.
Is it sad ? I wanted to read it because it's been mentioned so many times in this thread.

₪ Ý lllēo.
I am a rarity.

November 27, 2017, 06:38:31 AM
Reply #3494
Is it sad ? I wanted to read it because it's been mentioned so many times in this thread.

Overall it's an adventure story, but it definitely has sad parts. And horrifying parts.

Found this great English cover of the OP theme.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9OMIberEnI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9OMIberEnI</a>
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:11:35 AM by infohippie »

<3[/spoiler]

November 27, 2017, 09:50:16 AM
Reply #3495

If it's easy for you to become emotionally invested in fiction, don't bother because it's very sad. If you're a masochist and enjoy being sad then sure, read it. There's a part that made me feel bad yesterday, and I'm still feeling bad right now. But then again, I'm a weak little bitch who not only takes fiction too seriously but exert an ounce of control over my feelings, so perhaps I'm not the best person to ask. Of course no one asked me in the first place - as always.

November 27, 2017, 05:35:48 PM
Reply #3496
Bloody 'ell I have Internet again. Don't have my PC set up yet cause no desk but eh, stealing my dad's laptop for now. Got a lot to catch up it seems.

Anyways, HEY GUYS MADE IN ABY- oh Info already got me covered there. Cool, cool.

... MADE IN ABYSS SEASON 2 WE HYPE BOIS

Speaking of which, Mirage, I'm probably going to finally start Shin Sekai Yori tonight, unless I'm so wiped out from work that I just need something light and fluffy. In which case, time to rewatch more K-On, most likely! :P

Hope you got around to it. Just hope you're not expecting slice of life or moe or anything of the sort  :monster:

Nice find! I think mine will end up being about 8000円. Looking forward to the release of this one! Speaking of figures, my Nico Yazawa arrived and it's gorgeous.

A lot of people dislike Nico because, to be honest, she is kinda self centred and bitchy to the other girls. But she's a good neesan to her siblings. and she throws the cutest tantrums. :monster:  Nico and Nozomi are my two favourite Love Live characters.

I got really lucky too, my Internet got shut off that morning, so if I hadn't checked it before going to sleep I woulda missed out.

And yeah, Nico was hard to like at first. It wasn't until her family situation was expanded that I actually started to warm up to her. She did become something of a favorite though, behind Kotori and Umi. Regardless, I'd totally buy that first figure. Second one... eh, yeah gotta agree with your criticisms. The hair-seam looks REALLY prominent too.

If it's easy for you to become emotionally invested in fiction, don't bother because it's very sad. If you're a masochist and enjoy being sad then sure, read it. There's a part that made me feel bad yesterday, and I'm still feeling bad right now. But then again, I'm a weak little bitch who not only takes fiction too seriously but exert an ounce of control over my feelings, so perhaps I'm not the best person to ask.

I mean, it's fun to get emotionally attatched to characters. How you take it is another matter, but if I don't care about the well being of a character then why in the world would I watch anything, especially a show with a very character driven plot, in the first place?

Also, like, half the reason the show became such a hit is because people got attatched to those children. All the good music and scenery wouldn't have made it AOTY without those heartstrings being ripped out of our chests.

November 27, 2017, 11:30:13 PM
Reply #3497
I mean, it's fun to get emotionally attatched to characters. How you take it is another matter, but if I don't care about the well being of a character then why in the world would I watch anything, especially a show with a very character driven plot, in the first place?

Also, like, half the reason the show became such a hit is because people got attatched to those children. All the good music and scenery wouldn't have made it AOTY without those heartstrings being ripped out of our chests.
I wanted to read the manga but looking at the animation it looks pretty neat. We'll see !

Also yes, if I can't feel for a character then I'm not gonna bother. This is why I have a problem with D-Gray Man. While the story in itself is interesting (at ;least at the beginning), I just always stop reading because I just don't care about them. I've tried three times to read it and I just can't lol.

Now Gantz on the other hand... Tae and Kei give me life.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:30:55 PM by PokePony »

₪ Ý lllēo.
I am a rarity.

November 28, 2017, 01:54:05 AM
Reply #3498
I'm the opposite. I can only feel for a character so much, and if a character has too much inflicted upon him/her then I begin to remove that attachment so as to not feel bad.

November 28, 2017, 02:56:07 AM
Reply #3499
I wanted to read the manga but looking at the animation it looks pretty neat. We'll see

Do both! Get your heart torn out twice over!

<3[/spoiler]