Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 1x24 - Owl's Well That Ends Well  (Read 11284 times)

April 22, 2011, 01:06:23 PM
Sooo, I JUST finished watching the episode thanks to a stream I stumbled across.

Not the best episode, a little slow paced for me, but it did contain some pretty funny moments and definitely dug into Twilight and Spike's relationship some. One strange thing is that this was a very, how can we say, adult episode, with jokes that were quite non-child friendly featuring prominently. I'll post the Youtube vid when I can, as usual!  :monster:

EDIT- VIDEO BELOW
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 05:32:59 AM by The Derpy One »

April 22, 2011, 01:14:39 PM
Reply #1
Well, with my career continuing to plummet down the tubes I was home today and got to see one as it aired! :D

No, wait... :-[...

Anywho, after Cutie Mark Crusader Chronicles the next episode would have a long hard struggle ahead of it to keep up the tempo. This episode, in my mind, came close.

I am very glad that my prediction that this would be an episode where the new character is a hidden jerk turned out wrong. Aloysius (Owlysius?) turned out to be an entirely stomachable character, and I actually wouldn't mind if he showed up again. In fact, it would be kinda hard to justify any other eps at night that didn't include him.

Of course, Spike carried the episode well. The donning of the melodramatic villain robe was pretty funny, and the way he reacts is exactly the way you expect a kid to act when they're place in a family unit is disturbed, or they believe it to be disturbed.

Getting to see him interact with another dragon was pretty cool. Note for future fan-fiction: Dragons are territorial and won't hesitate to kill another of their own specie, even a whelp, if their hoard is disturbed. Noted.

Of course, for me the big point here was how deeply troubled Spike was when Aloysius appeared. Is this the first time we actually heard the word "Love" in the series? He was deeply worried that Twilight didn't love him anymore...

D'aaawwww

It fits my belief that he thinks of Twilight as a foster or surrogate mother. That's just the way I roll.

April 22, 2011, 01:23:35 PM
Reply #2
Of course, Spike carried the episode well. The donning of the melodramatic villain robe was pretty funny, and the way he reacts is exactly the way you expect a kid to act when they're place in a family unit is disturbed, or they believe it to be disturbed.

Getting to see him interact with another dragon was pretty cool. Note for future fan-fiction: Dragons are territorial and won't hesitate to kill another of their own specie, even a whelp, if their hoard is disturbed. Noted.

Of course, for me the big point here was how deeply troubled Spike was when Aloysius appeared. Is this the first time we actually heard the word "Love" in the series? He was deeply worried that Twilight didn't love him anymore...

D'aaawwww

It fits my belief that he thinks of Twilight as a foster or surrogate mother. That's just the way I roll.

I loved eeevvil Spike so much, probably the best part of the episode for me! But I'll second that "d'aaawwww" too, it was really sweet to see the pair caring so much about each other. I thought the ponies fawning over him at the start was both hilarious and heartwarming as well, since I thought Spike needed more appreciation- and lo and behold, this episode provided.

But beware of that whole "it fits my belief" stuff! ;) That attitude will only lead to disappointment!

April 22, 2011, 01:41:02 PM
Reply #3
But beware of that whole "it fits my belief" stuff! ;) That attitude will only lead to disappointment!

I've learned to live with disappointment. It's practically my housemate...deadbeat doesn't pay rent though. :-\

Agreed on how the ponies all fawning over Spike was nice. I'd like to believe that they all see Spike as a "little brother". Kinda cold of Rarity to give Aloysius an exact same copy of the bow she gave Spike though...

Was anybody else reminded of Smaug's diatribe in The Hobbit when Spike began describing the dragon's paraphernalia?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:49:34 PM by TheDescendant »

April 22, 2011, 03:01:55 PM
Reply #4
Yeah..The Hobbit was a pretty cool book. ^^

Anyways..as for the episode as a whole. I expected better for an epi so close to the season finale, but over all, it was still at last decent. The interactions between Spike and Twilight were nice to see, plus more scenes that showed the others consider Spike an important friend too.

I really liked some Astronomy inclusion, since it's my fave science. It was also nice to see another adult dragon already.

April 22, 2011, 03:27:47 PM
Reply #5
Pensivepony has uploaded the episode:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw8dBLlf3lo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw8dBLlf3lo</a>

April 22, 2011, 03:44:17 PM
Reply #6
Man, I felt really bad for Spike.
When he said Twilight 'doesn't love him anymore', I actually said out loud "I love you, Spike!"

This episode was pretty cute, even with it being a bit... mature at times.
And Pinkie Pie did make me giggle as well. 

And knowing is half the battle!

GI JOOOOOOOOOE

April 22, 2011, 04:12:31 PM
Reply #7
Old-timey villain Spike with a 'stache. 'Nuff said.

Oh, and am I the only one who's completely confused on what the owl's name is? "Owlicious" is what I heard. I have no idea...eh, either way, I still hate that freakin' owl, I don't know why. I just get filled with rage at the sight of the thing!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:00:43 PM by Gotmilk0112 »

April 22, 2011, 04:25:35 PM
Reply #8
Old Timey Villain Spike - Classic
Pinkie Pie - Comedy Gold as always.

Didn't like the ending as much, would've preferred Allou-Ican't-spell-it to get a comeuppance.

DARN THAT OWL.

WHAT TIME IS IT? PARTY TIME, THAT'S WHAT

STOP BUTCHERING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

April 22, 2011, 04:32:04 PM
Reply #9
Really a good eps .

Its only me ? but if the owl attacked the dragon head its little remind a scene from Harry Potter when the phoenix attacked the Basilisk head (i dont really remember).

Also the best moment for me was when Spike sad - Whooo dude thats creepy.

April 22, 2011, 04:53:17 PM
Reply #10
Spike learned about Jealousy. But at the same time Twilight Sparkle should not have had to learn to be more sensitive. But will Rarity know that she's had a visitor who nicked a toy mouse? I thought that Spike had a crush on Rarity so anything he did steal from her he would keep, surely.

But he looked good as a villain. And Rarity does not go for moustaches anyway!!

I'm not sure what that Owl is up to, but it is probably no good. Never ignore a baby or a child's suspicions, they are often right.

Cheers,

Blossomgb

April 22, 2011, 05:17:36 PM
Reply #11
lol was I the only one that was shocked to see that spike didn't die of delight when Rarity was telling him all those nice things in the beginning? 8D
If thou art a true discipline of the Dark Sun
cast aside thine ire

hear the voice of mineself, Gwyndolin
and kneel before me

April 22, 2011, 05:30:58 PM
Reply #12
You know, despite the fact that she only had two lines, Scootaloo was probably my favourite character in this episode. XD

April 22, 2011, 05:40:14 PM
Reply #13
Glad I was wrong on my prediction too. To be fair last week we had one of the best episodes of the season, so it was inevitable this one by comparison was going to be lackluster but it did have fun moments after all.

Spike and Twilight's relationship I actually hoped it would be more fleshed out then it was in the episode. Though it does seem rather Mother-to-Son from what it shows, which makes sense judging by the previous episode. Besides the assistant part, Spike seems to act if a child thought a new baby in the family was born to replace him so he runs away until luckily his "mother" is able to find him before something horrible happens.

Other moments I liked was Pinkie pulling out a Quesadilla of all things, and of course evil Spike. I was surprised they had the ketchup thing since that's basically supposed to emulate blood. You won't find that in supposed girl-oriented shows. Since the Owl stays I wonder if he'll become a somewhat recurring character (Also I thought the owl was a girl at first because he had eyelashes, I won't be surprised if he's considered a "trap" in the fandom). Also the action scene running from the dragon was pretty awesome.

I think overall it was a good episode, it just seems lacking because we saw an amazing one last week.

EDIT: I'm starting to get a bit worried for the fanbase, for the past 2 weeks there was talk on Mary Sues in the series with Rainbow last week and now the Owl (Though it is kinda weird it managed to beat back a Dragon more then 100x it's own size I must admit) which as a new character being immediately called that can be devastating. Also some might be taking some of the little things such as Twi not chasing Spike when he went to find a Quill a little too seriously. It's a kids show, holes like that will happen (Just what I'm thinking after I saw some of the comments on Ponychan and Equestria Daily)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 06:15:31 PM by Northern Verve »

April 22, 2011, 06:41:48 PM
Reply #14
Rainbowdash and Scootaloo as her assistant, I think it would be better if they made this episode about them instead xD. I also liked evil Spike, dragon cave, the way he burned that book, AND the mouse in ketchup was freaking hilarious lol    

I would rate this episode 4 out of 5 only because of mature Twilight  

April 22, 2011, 06:52:40 PM
Reply #15
and definitely dug into Twilight and Spike's relationship some.

Yeah, i guess this was the only thing I really liked about it (besides that tiny part with Dash and Scootaloo)

One strange thing is that this was a very, how can we say, adult episode, with jokes that were quite non-child friendly featuring prominently.

..wait, when exactly was this? o__0 I don't want to rewatch the whole episode again, sooo D:

EDIT: Besides the ketchup as fake blood on the mouse toy, I mean (if that joke even counts as adult ::))
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 06:54:15 PM by Skin Pony »

April 22, 2011, 07:07:59 PM
Reply #16
..wait, when exactly was this? o__0 I don't want to rewatch the whole episode again, sooo D:

EDIT: Besides the ketchup as fake blood on the mouse toy, I mean (if that joke even counts as adult ::))

What, you didn't catch the "The punch has been...Spiked!" joke near the beginning?

April 22, 2011, 07:11:43 PM
Reply #17
BTW here's what Youtube auto-captioned Spike's letter to Celestia as (Beginning where he said This is Spike)

"this is fine

reading he looked at me in this case

this would through the pain killers

telling lies pitino and french

and also the display of love every three inches so from here I think by promise that i just

bite with" (Spike goes asleep after this quote)

April 22, 2011, 07:21:29 PM
Reply #18
BTW here's what Youtube auto-captioned Spike's letter to Celestia as (Beginning where he said This is Spike)

"this is fine

and also the display of love every three inches so from here I think by promise that i just

I've always wanted to make a topic for Youtube captions, maybe it's about time I do so!  :monster:

April 22, 2011, 07:21:49 PM
Reply #19

"this is fine

That sounds more like the kind of e-mails people send when they've been drinking XD

April 22, 2011, 07:23:04 PM
Reply #20
Well it had some good individual scenes, but I think the "jealousy" plot always comes off as sort of strained and kind of pidgeonholes characters into certain roles.

April 22, 2011, 07:35:20 PM
Reply #21
Okay episode.  Moral-wise, one of the best and smartest of this season.  Entertainment-wise, very lacking.  The energy and free-spiritedness of the humor in previous episodes was gone, and most of the scenes felt like the celluloid equivelant of a kid doped up on ritalin.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:40:33 PM by Bronymian Rhapsody »

April 22, 2011, 07:45:38 PM
Reply #22
Okay episode.  Moral-wise, one of the best and smartest of this season.  Entertainment-wise, very lacking.  The energy and free-spiritedness of the humor in previous episodes was gone, and most of the scenes felt like the celluloid equivelant of a kid doped up on ritalin.

I agree, I really felt like the episode contained too much "puppy fat", as it were. In between the silly evil Spike scenes and the dragon, everything just felt like it needed to good kick up the rear end to get things moving along. Seems to be an issue with Cindy Morrison's writing for this series, "Show Stoppers" felt sluggish to me as well.

Not quite as bad as "The Stare Master" for me though, which was written by the same guy who did "Boast Busters". That episode seemed to drag on forever.

April 22, 2011, 07:57:08 PM
Reply #23
BTW I know I already said this in the List of Episodes thread but did anyone here see the new game with the finding on the Hub website? It contained an image of the final parts of the last few episodes including today's it's not too major of spoilers since it's just one image but nonetheless it basically gives you an idea for speculation

(URLed images in case anyone wants to be completely free of any spoilers)

http://www.ponychan.net/chan/pony/src/130349165994.png (Ep. 25)

http://www.ponychan.net/chan/pony/src/130349175694.png (Ep. 26) I wonder why Pinkie isn't in this shot

April 22, 2011, 07:59:46 PM
Reply #24
I agree, I really felt like the episode contained too much "puppy fat", as it were. In between the silly evil Spike scenes and the dragon, everything just felt like it needed to good kick up the rear end to get things moving along. Seems to be an issue with Cindy Morrison's writing for this series, "Show Stoppers" felt sluggish to me as well.

Not quite as bad as "The Stare Master" for me though, which was written by the same guy who did "Boast Busters". That episode seemed to drag on forever.
Cindy Morrison.... tell me, has she had a hand in most of the recent episodes?  I think most of the eps. since Over a Barrel have had a similar lackluster feel to them, although I did grow to appreciate A Bird in the Hoof on the second viewing, although I felt having Fluttershy learn not to jump to conclussions was, at the lack of a proper choice of words, non-specific to her character.  The Fluttershy-centric stories were great because the problems and drama would only work with a character like Fluttershy, whereas a story about not jumping to conclussions could work with any of the characters.  But I'm getting off-topic, who were the major people behind the last month-worth of eps?