4 (15.4%)
3 stars... alright
8 (30.8%)
2 stars, not that good
1 (3.8%)
1 star, terrible
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: 1x12 - Call of the Cutie  (Read 14166 times)

February 07, 2011, 10:04:34 PM
Reply #50
Lol well if it helps ya feel better, I've ALWAYS hated Sasuke. XD But oddly enough, that's partly due to cultural differences: what might be considered "whiny, brooding and emo" here in the west is usually considered "dark, cool and mysterious" in Japan..

But it's alright, I understand. I still like the series itself, but I more or less just read the manga; and only when I feel like it. I don't even bother with the anime anymore- even my older sister is probably the biggest "Narutard" I know and even she's fed up with the anime and its manga-tainting shenanigans.

It's okay I don't think bad of you for reading the series or anything still. I can understand that some people might want to just read it until the end because of committing to it for so long. I meant no offense at all of course. :) These days with a lot of anime and manga I feel like I'm mostly in it because I'm committed as well.

BANNED

February 07, 2011, 10:13:44 PM
Reply #51
It's okay I don't think bad of you for reading the series or anything still. I can understand that some people might want to just read it until the end because of committing to it for so long. I meant no offense at all of course. :) These days with a lot of anime and manga I feel like I'm mostly in it because I'm committed as well.

Hehe exactly >u< I still make time for other series I like though, though I try to avoid shows with long-time commitments lately XD

February 07, 2011, 10:16:41 PM
Reply #52
Hehe exactly >u< I still make time for other series I like though, though I try to avoid shows with long-time commitments lately XD

Well I have a few long term commitments in regards to manga but I guess that's why I've been growing out of anime recently. You need a lot of commitment to watch series that have hundreds of episodes, and if you don't know which ones are good or bad it makes it even harder. XD

BANNED

February 07, 2011, 10:33:51 PM
Reply #53
Well I have a few long term commitments in regards to manga but I guess that's why I've been growing out of anime recently. You need a lot of commitment to watch series that have hundreds of episodes, and if you don't know which ones are good or bad it makes it even harder. XD

*adjusts opaque glasses* Which is exactly why you have to try a little bit of everything, as well as read reviews from seasoned anime fans/critics! These days I don't give an anime a chance unless I know it's good on a technical stand-point.

See, I like a lot of things. I'm never really picky about stuff, so I don't really have my own "taste" about things. That's why I become more attatched to stuff that's actually done well; 'cause if there's something done poorly, chances are there's a "better version" of it out there somewhere. (For example, I'd much rather read Tenjou Tenge than watch Ikki Tousen...XD)

That isn't to say I don't have my fair share of "stuff I like that's not exactly super amazing" either though. One of my favorite series (Don't worry it's not Naruto XD) has a sub-par animation quality but the manga and everything posted on the creator's blog is just so wonderful to me that I can't help but love it.

If you'd like, I could give you a list of recommended anime in a private message- of course you just gotta tell me what some of your faves are, that way I can have a general idea of what stuff you like :)

February 07, 2011, 10:34:05 PM
Reply #54
That was kind of an interesting turn that the topic turn XD

I agree with amatsubu though.  I don't think a spanking or so every now and then is a bad thing.  It can actually help.  I'm not saying child abuse or anything, but a simple spanking or slapping if the kid is really out of line should be okay.  I got spanked when I was a kid and I turned out okay :P

February 07, 2011, 10:40:45 PM
Reply #55
Ah no worries Dashell we're still on the topic, and I agree with that.

*adjusts opaque glasses* Which is exactly why you have to try a little bit of everything, as well as read reviews from seasoned anime fans/critics! These days I don't give an anime a chance unless I know it's good on a technical stand-point.

See, I like a lot of things. I'm never really picky about stuff, so I don't really have my own "taste" about things. That's why I become more attatched to stuff that's actually done well; 'cause if there's something done poorly, chances are there's a "better version" of it out there somewhere. (For example, I'd much rather read Tenjou Tenge than watch Ikki Tousen...XD)

That isn't to say I don't have my fair share of "stuff I like that's not exactly super amazing" either though. One of my favorite series (Don't worry it's not Naruto XD) has a sub-par animation quality but the manga and everything posted on the creator's blog is just so wonderful to me that I can't help but love it.

If you'd like, I could give you a list of recommended anime in a private message- of course you just gotta tell me what some of your faves are, that way I can have a general idea of what stuff you like :)

Well word of mouth can't be trusted either. For instance I tried out Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt because many claimed it to be amazing. I just didn't like it at all... But sometimes you can be lead to some decent series as well, but like you I'd rather stick to series that are well done, and worth my investment as well. Personally I'd like to watch more super sentai and kamen rider stuff as that seems pretty interesting to me now over the kind of anime being brought out these days. Not to mention the load of new mangas that end up being just another bland fighting series. Also these days nostalgic cartoons have also garnered my interest because their episodic nature and the fun I had from watching them as a kid really snags my interest.

Haha I'm starting to ramble I guess. XD

But you could do so if you wish and I could do my best to edit yoru list and show you what kind of stuff I'm interested in at the same time. If you would like.

BANNED

February 07, 2011, 10:47:53 PM
Reply #56
Ah no worries Dashell we're still on the topic, and I agree with that.

Well word of mouth can't be trusted either. For instance I tried out Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt because many claimed it to be amazing. I just didn't like it at all... But sometimes you can be lead to some decent series as well, but like you I'd rather stick to series that are well done, and worth my investment as well. Personally I'd like to watch more super sentai and kamen rider stuff as that seems pretty interesting to me now over the kind of anime being brought out these days. Not to mention the load of new mangas that end up being just another bland fighting series. Also these days nostalgic cartoons have also garnered my interest because their episodic nature and the fun I had from watching them as a kid really snags my interest.

Haha I'm starting to ramble I guess. XD

But you could do so if you wish and I could do my best to edit yoru list and show you what kind of stuff I'm interested in at the same time. If you would like.

Hmm, that's interesting; pretty much everyone I know (that has seen it) actually loves Panty and stocking with Garterbelt. How many episodes did you watch? I know it certainly goes through a lot of stages even though the first season is only 13 episodes long.

It goes from "lol wtf they keep trying to out-do themselves with this retarded, dirty humor"
to "HOLY SH*T DID YOU SEE THAT?! THAT WAS THE MOST EPIC THING I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!"
to "WHAT...THE...HECK?! I should have known Gainax would pull something like this at the end!"

I think it has a lot of appeal though, mostly for the characters, the orgasmic sound track, and of course the homage to western animation it has goin' on. Very reminiscent to Mr. & Mrs Faust's work.

EDIT: Forgot to add that it even has underlined symbolism about feminism and it's probably a huge wake-up call to those in Japan, but I don't wanna spoil anything.

But yeah, I'm gettin' off-topic here, so I'll just PM you that list now XD
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:50:08 PM by Mizu_Takishima »

February 07, 2011, 10:50:55 PM
Reply #57
Hmm, that's interesting; pretty much everyone I know (that has seen it) actually loves Panty and stocking with Garterbelt. How many episodes did you watch? I know it certainly goes through a lot of stages even though the first season is only 13 episodes long.

It goes from "lol wtf they keep trying to out-do themselves with this retarded, dirty humor"
to "HOLY SH*T DID YOU SEE THAT?! THAT WAS THE MOST EPIC THING I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!"
to "WHAT...THE...HECK?! I should have known Gainax would pull something like this at the end!"

I think it has a lot of appeal though, mostly for the characters, the orgasmic sound track, and of course the homage to western animation it has goin' on. Very reminiscent to Mr. & Mrs Faust's work.

But yeah, I'm gettin' off-topic here, so I'll just PM you that list now XD

the first three episodes. I just didn't like the crude humor and how edgy it was trying to be. I mean I can understand why people like it but I just don't get it myself. I just don't see what's appealing about it when something tries that hard to be overly raunchy, and I suppose it's hard for me to see it past that.

But yeah the transformation music was pretty awesome at least. Though that's the only pro I can give it, and sorry to get off topic.

Anyways back to Teen Pony Squad.

BANNED

February 07, 2011, 10:54:15 PM
Reply #58
the first three episodes. I just didn't like the crude humor and how edgy it was trying to be. I mean I can understand why people like it but I just don't get it myself. I just don't see what's appealing about it when something tries that hard to be overly raunchy, and I suppose it's hard for me to see it past that.

But yeah the transformation music was pretty awesome at least. Though that's the only pro I can give it.

*slaps her cheek* Well no wonder! The series doesn't start to get a different feel for it at least 'til the reoccurring villains arrive! And that's like...what... episode 6 or episode 7?? (Though, I have to say, Episode 5 is probably the "worst" when it comes to raunchy humor, but once you can make it passed that, you're good to go)

*tugs on his shirt* you simply must must must see the rest! I don't even like Raunchy humor myself and I love love love it! (btw, I made an edit to my previous post, just in case ya missed it xD)

February 07, 2011, 10:58:38 PM
Reply #59
*slaps her cheek* Well no wonder! The series doesn't start to get a different feel for it at least 'til the reoccurring villains arrive! And that's like...what... episode 6 or episode 7?? (Though, I have to say, Episode 5 is probably the "worst" when it comes to raunchy humor, but once you can make it passed that, you're good to go)

*tugs on his shirt* you simply must must must see the rest! I don't even like Raunchy humor myself and I love love love it! (btw, I made an edit to my previous post, just in case ya missed it xD)

eh maybe. Though I sort of feel like I got the idea of where that series was going after they had a villain that was nothing more than a large lactating woman. I think that's the point where I just felt that there was no turning back, but since there's only 12 episodes it's not like it'd be painful for me to try and get through them. At least to see if there's a silver lining.

Hmmm and just to keep a little on topic ness. I wonder what the Teen Pony Squad will do when Fluttershy babysits them. She's gonna stop them from looking SOOOOO GOOD! For the boys they'd wanna wrangle up that is.

BANNED

February 07, 2011, 11:07:18 PM
Reply #60
eh maybe. Though I sort of feel like I got the idea of where that series was going after they had a villain that was nothing more than a large lactating woman. I think that's the point where I just felt that there was no turning back, but since there's only 12 episodes it's not like it'd be painful for me to try and get through them. At least to see if there's a silver lining.

Oh, the lactating woman was the thing that made me go "Oh WOW" but thankfully it didn't get any worse than that. Trust me there's a silver lining...though it also kinda depends on if you're a fan of Gainax (the people who brought you FLCL, TTGL, Evangelion, etc)

But yeah, on topic- wait..they're gonna wrangle up boys? XD *confused*

February 07, 2011, 11:22:36 PM
Reply #61
Oh, the lactating woman was the thing that made me go "Oh WOW" but thankfully it didn't get any worse than that. Trust me there's a silver lining...though it also kinda depends on if you're a fan of Gainax (the people who brought you FLCL, TTGL, Evangelion, etc)

But yeah, on topic- wait..they're gonna wrangle up boys? XD *confused*

Well I did like TTGL...

and of course they're going to wrangle up boys. LOL if you've seen teen girl squad from the homestar runner website then you replace them with the cutie crusaders you'll get my reference. Applebloom is cheerleader by the way. XD

Plus as I said I wonder if their secret handshake is bumping their rumps together like a high five or something.

BANNED

February 07, 2011, 11:29:29 PM
Reply #62
Well I did like TTGL...

and of course they're going to wrangle up boys. LOL if you've seen teen girl squad from the homestar runner website then you replace them with the cutie crusaders you'll get my reference. Applebloom is cheerleader by the way. XD

Plus as I said I wonder if their secret handshake is bumping their rumps together like a high five or something.

lol oh- I didn't get the teen girl squad reference XD

February 07, 2011, 11:31:53 PM
Reply #63
lol oh- I didn't get the teen girl squad reference XD

I've seen a pic of it in the /co/ threads where someone made a reference to that, and I find it hilarious. Especially when Applebloom's best friend. The one with the white coat, red hair, and glasses was labeled as the ugly one. XD

But just the fact a parody like that exists just made me lol hard. XD

BANNED

February 08, 2011, 12:19:24 AM
Reply #64
I'm not sure how we got on this topic XD

I wanna comment on the word of mouth thing though.  I hate it when I hate some thing everyone likes... or what's sometimes worse is loving something everyone else hates.  For some reason that I can't figure out why, a lot of Ren and Stimpy fans hate the Adult Party Cartoon but I found it amazing.  It always really bugs me when I see people saying "I Loved Ren and Stimpy growing up but the APC was horrible!  REAL Ren and Stimpy fans would know it's crap!"... so I guess I'm not a real fan then.  ::)

February 08, 2011, 12:37:27 AM
Reply #65
I'm not sure how we got on this topic XD

I wanna comment on the word of mouth thing though.  I hate it when I hate some thing everyone likes... or what's sometimes worse is loving something everyone else hates.  For some reason that I can't figure out why, a lot of Ren and Stimpy fans hate the Adult Party Cartoon but I found it amazing.  It always really bugs me when I see people saying "I Loved Ren and Stimpy growing up but the APC was horrible!  REAL Ren and Stimpy fans would know it's crap!"... so I guess I'm not a real fan then.  ::)

Well, when I was suggesting amatsubu to take the advice of critics/fans, it wasn't exactly the same as "listen to word of mouth"

For example, a seasoned anime fan/reviewer/critic will actually know what they're talking about because they've seen enough anime to actually get an idea of what makes a series good or bad- and they're able to tell if they're done poorly or being done well.

It's like what my theater arts teacher told me. He's "picky" about movies because he's seen so many that if something has been done "better" in the past, he'd know. I'm like that when it comes to anime, and I know that there are even more experts on the subject than just myself xD

February 08, 2011, 01:17:45 AM
Reply #66
Well, when I was suggesting amatsubu to take the advice of critics/fans, it wasn't exactly the same as "listen to word of mouth"

For example, a seasoned anime fan/reviewer/critic will actually know what they're talking about because they've seen enough anime to actually get an idea of what makes a series good or bad- and they're able to tell if they're done poorly or being done well.

It's like what my theater arts teacher told me. He's "picky" about movies because he's seen so many that if something has been done "better" in the past, he'd know. I'm like that when it comes to anime, and I know that there are even more experts on the subject than just myself xD

I understand that and I don't mind taking your view into consideration but I also agree with Dashell as well in that I don't really like having to be forced into liking something just because it's popular or it's cool, but you haven't been acting like that at all so you don't have to worry.

BANNED

February 08, 2011, 11:25:03 AM
Reply #67
Holy, moly! This thread really rocketed after I last posted. I don't mean to ruin the discussion, I think I'll get back to, ya know, actually discussing the episode  :lol:

So in a non-bully related issue, I wonder what special talent will make Applebloom's cutie mark appear?

February 08, 2011, 03:31:26 PM
Reply #68
Hmm. The problem with getting a cutie mark so early is that she's, like, twelve. It's kind of hard to gadge what you'll be for the rest of your life at that point, but it seemed to work out for Applejack and everyone else. Well, Applebloom throws herself fully into anything she sets her mind to with 110% effort, so the mark might be more general like Dash's (she's fast, so her mark is  rainbow-themed dash mark). Perhaps a an apple jumping over a cloud or something. Yeah, I suck at this.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage

February 08, 2011, 05:00:25 PM
Reply #69
Hmm. The problem with getting a cutie mark so early is that she's, like, twelve. It's kind of hard to gadge what you'll be for the rest of your life at that point, but it seemed to work out for Applejack and everyone else. Well, Applebloom throws herself fully into anything she sets her mind to with 110% effort, so the mark might be more general like Dash's (she's fast, so her mark is  rainbow-themed dash mark). Perhaps a an apple jumping over a cloud or something. Yeah, I suck at this.

Don't put yourself down dude, I can bet dozens of people will make guesses as to what Applebloom's cutie mark could end up being. I have no idea if we'll ever know! I think you've kinda argued with yourself right there though lol, some of the other ponies discover what they want to be fairly early, even at 12- these are fictional magic ponies after all. Heck, I'm 21 and I have only the vaguest idea of what I want to become.

February 08, 2011, 05:23:07 PM
Reply #70
I know I kinda argued with myself there. It was intentional. Yeah, I know some people who are about your who also don't know what they want to know with their lives. I do know (I want to write fictional books), but that's still a ways off from happening.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

February 08, 2011, 08:33:38 PM
Reply #71
I don't know but this episode made me think about those little girls who wish they could wear a bra cause every other girl in their class has one. A plot line I've seen in other shows. Except with cutie marks this time I suppose.

BANNED

February 08, 2011, 09:46:19 PM
Reply #72
Hmm. The problem with getting a cutie mark so early is that she's, like, twelve. It's kind of hard to gadge what you'll be for the rest of your life at that point, but it seemed to work out for Applejack and everyone else.

Reminds me of when Dumbledore asked Snape if he thought they sorted too early.

February 09, 2011, 01:59:12 AM
Reply #73
Exactly! I know the ponies work differently than us, but it's kind of hard to fathom figuring out exactly what the course of the rest of your life is that early. I can recall wanting to be a fireman when I was twelve.

February 09, 2011, 02:02:43 AM
Reply #74
Kinda random, but am I the only one who imagines the CMC's a lot younger than 12? XD

I think it could be how tiny they are, or their voices, but I kinda imagine them in like the 7-9 year range- or maybe I'm just someone who doesn't spend enough time with kids to know anything about them oAo;;