4 (15.4%)
3 stars... alright
8 (30.8%)
2 stars, not that good
1 (3.8%)
1 star, terrible
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: 1x12 - Call of the Cutie  (Read 14167 times)

February 23, 2011, 12:46:02 PM
Reply #100
I think of that "ongoing plot" restriction more as a "keep it episodic" restriction.  That is, plot and character seems to advance, but they want it to be the kind of show you can put in eternal reruns without having a bunch of "previously on Friendship is Magic" dealies to understand what's going on.  Like, as long as this is the sort of show you can jump into and enjoy without knowing the plot, it fits the bill.

Because as it is, it's somewhat like this.  The Grand Galloping Gala has been referenced twice, characters seem to be developing and keeping their developments, and in general, little permanent changes are being made.  But any 6 year old could watch this without wondering what is going on.

February 23, 2011, 02:23:56 PM
Reply #101
I loved this episode cause it expanded Applebloom's character into something more befitting of a secondary character, and I hope she gets featured more often.
I totally understood the bullies and wanting to blend in theme, really speaks to a lot of kids.

Also, after watching it, I found this hilarity:

WHAT TIME IS IT? PARTY TIME, THAT'S WHAT

STOP BUTCHERING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

February 23, 2011, 03:22:37 PM
Reply #102
Thats so funny, I lol'd it xD

February 23, 2011, 04:34:38 PM
Reply #103
With a cutie mark with a cutie mark with a cutie mark with a cutie mark with a cutie mark with a cutie mark with a cutie mark with a cutie mark with a cutie mark..

Preivously Ciah

February 23, 2011, 04:34:58 PM
Reply #104
I loved this episode cause it expanded Applebloom's character into something more befitting of a secondary character, and I hope she gets featured more often.
I totally understood the bullies and wanting to blend in theme, really speaks to a lot of kids.

Also, after watching it, I found this hilarity:

I lol'd

That is so hypnotizing.

BANNED

February 23, 2011, 06:38:27 PM
Reply #105
if you save this picture and zoom it with your Photoshop passing pixels, you would be able to see infinite numbers of AppleBloom's   

February 23, 2011, 07:07:31 PM
Reply #106
if you save this picture and zoom it with your Photoshop passing pixels, you would be able to see infinite numbers of AppleBloom's   

Only if you have the CSI version of Photoshop, which can turn 3 pixels into a perfect close-up portrait of a person's face :-P
yay

February 23, 2011, 07:11:30 PM
Reply #107
so I'm watching this episode now and just had a moment of realisation and I feel stupid for not realising it before...

Granny Smith..

Granny Smith apples....durp!
PONIES

February 23, 2011, 10:32:25 PM
Reply #108
so I'm watching this episode now and just had a moment of realisation and I feel stupid for not realising it before...

Granny Smith..

Granny Smith apples....durp!

You oughtta rename yourself Derp4t :D

May 16, 2011, 01:29:38 AM
Reply #109
Haven´t you noticed how cruel Diamond Tiara seemed to appear in this episode at Apple Bloom? That goes to show you that even among little fillies there can be a sort of discrimination.
I´m currently hanging out with the Wonderbolts.

May 16, 2011, 05:46:37 AM
Reply #110
Haven´t you noticed how cruel Diamond Tiara seemed to appear in this episode at Apple Bloom? That goes to show you that even among little fillies there can be a sort of discrimination.

I hated Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon :) They were horrible, even worse than Glinda the Gryphon. I don't see why they were so full of themselves either since their cutie marks suck (really, who wants their special talent to be that they're a pampered, useless brat?) and Silverspoon isn't exactly cute looking wheras Apple Bloom is adorable :)

May 17, 2011, 12:53:57 PM
Reply #111
All i thought about Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were classic characterizations. Their looks, even their names showed they were the well off 'hoity-toity' kids who always thought they were better than everyone else.
It's meant to play on the whole schoolgirl thing where everyone's trying to be like them, and the Cutie Marks are a convenient object for this, and this episode is basically Applebloom trying to be like the 'cool kids' before realizing you don't have to 'fit in' to have friends.

So where was I? Yeah DT and SS are your classic teenage schoolgirl-drama 'villains', the stuck up smarmypants that always put the heroine (in this case AB) down.

WHAT TIME IS IT? PARTY TIME, THAT'S WHAT

STOP BUTCHERING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

August 07, 2011, 11:02:32 AM
Reply #112
I see this is an old thread, but I didn't even get into the show until last Wednesday. Sooo.... I think I'm allowed. ._.

All I've been wondering is... What happened to Twist? She was obviously Apple Bloom's friend. Certainly her only friend at the time, before she met Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, but the last we ever saw of her was when she got her cutie mark. She even asked Apple Bloom to come to the party anyway immediately after showing it to her, but then when the party came along, Apple Bloom never made any effort to even say hello to her and just wanted to leave. Twist never made a reappearance, either. It seems like it goes against the entire theme of the show to have Apple Bloom abandon her friend because she found "better" ones, but isn't that exactly what happened?

August 07, 2011, 11:46:14 AM
Reply #113
I see this is an old thread, but I didn't even get into the show until last Wednesday. Sooo.... I think I'm allowed. ._.

All I've been wondering is... What happened to Twist? She was obviously Apple Bloom's friend. Certainly her only friend at the time, before she met Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, but the last we ever saw of her was when she got her cutie mark. She even asked Apple Bloom to come to the party anyway immediately after showing it to her, but then when the party came along, Apple Bloom never made any effort to even say hello to her and just wanted to leave. Twist never made a reappearance, either. It seems like it goes against the entire theme of the show to have Apple Bloom abandon her friend because she found "better" ones, but isn't that exactly what happened?

I don't know if "abandon" is the correct term. It's more realistic than anything else. Twist and Apple Bloom seemed connected because neither of them had their cutie mark. One matured faster than the other and now Twist does not have the same pursuit that Apple Bloom does. They're not similar anymore.
 It's similar to high school when everyone gets accepted into different colleges. You lose most of them , and gain new ones based on how everyone matures. Then when you meet again you're almost very different people. It's just how life works.

Artwork goes to Luna-Sedata.
Signature made by me.

August 07, 2011, 12:47:52 PM
Reply #114
Firstly, we see Sweetie in Apple Bloom's class, so presumably both her and Scoot were already in her class...No pony just paid as much attention to them.

Secondly, Twist is dancing with the 3 at the end of Call of the Cutie, so I'm sure AB and Twist are still friends. The point of CMC epis is to cover their times together right? It's likely that AB and Twist hang out mostly around school times, and spends more time with Sweetie and Scoot otherwise. Keep in mind we only see a little of the period of time that passes.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:03:27 PM by FlamingLight »

August 07, 2011, 05:38:35 PM
Reply #115
Firstly, we see Sweetie in Apple Bloom's class, so presumably both her and Scoot were already in her class...No pony just paid as much attention to them.

Secondly, Twist is dancing with the 3 at the end of Call of the Cutie, so I'm sure AB and Twist are still friends. The point of CMC epis is to cover their times together though? It's likely that AB and Twist hang out mostly around school times, and spends more time with Sweetie and Scoot otherwise. Keep in mind we only see a little of the period of time that passes.
Wait, she was? I guess I completely missed that.
And I suppose you are right. They never did hang out outside of school anyway. Now I am relatively happier. :D

August 07, 2011, 06:04:53 PM
Reply #116
Wait, she was? I guess I completely missed that.
And I suppose you are right. They never did hang out outside of school anyway. Now I am relatively happier. :D

She's easy to miss. I only know because of the Let's Watch I saw for the epi, and they spotted her. You can only notice her in one fast shot I believe.

August 07, 2011, 06:06:46 PM
Reply #117
Oh, wow. Well, that's cool then. And that was literally the only complaint I had out of 26 episodes. So now the show is perfect again.

August 07, 2011, 06:11:20 PM
Reply #118
Glad to have helped there. I wouldn't mind seeing Twist again myself though, I don't hate her like so many ponies do.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:06:14 PM by FlamingLight »

August 07, 2011, 06:29:56 PM
Reply #119
Yeah, she seemed like she could be part of an entire episode just fine. Definitely not one all about her, but she could be a secondary character.

August 16, 2011, 03:00:41 PM
Reply #120
...Didn't like it, didn't hate it.  Not an episode I look forward to, but not one that I despise, either.

I liked how this introduced the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and therefore, Sweetie Belle, the cutest filly I've ever seen!

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were such brats, though.  If I never see them again, it'll be too soon!

September 29, 2013, 07:41:14 PM
Reply #121
EqD post on Call of the Cutie:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/09/1266-days-of-pony-call-of-cutie.html

This episode's okay.  It's valuable for introducing the concept of cutie marks and explaining what they are and how ponies get them, and also for properly introducing Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, as well as establishing the Cutie Mark Crusaders.  That being said, I'm not particularly fond of this episode, because of the whole "adults are idiots" thing you see in too many kids shows.  Like the kid has problems, and the adults not only don't understand but make things worse.  To me, the scene that sticks out the most is when Applejack says "oh, you're friends are coming over", when referring to Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon heading for Apple Bloom, completely oblivious to how much of a bunch of brats they are.

Though I do kind of understand why she wouldn't know they're bad girls, or even that they're the TRUE reason why Apple Bloom wants to get her cutie mark so badly/wants to avoid the party.  Really, Apple Bloom wants to get her cutie mark because she feels like she's nothing without it.  She figures that if she could just get her cutie mark right away, the problem will be solved instantly, and thus why she doesn't think the older ponies aren't being especially helpful when talking about how it takes time for a cutie mark to appear.  In fact, I think that's something later cutie mark episodes miss and why they don't work as well: they're trying to get their cutie marks by "forcing" it to appear, a la Rainbow Dash's advice, even though they don't have any real reason to this time.  Apple Bloom feels alone without a cutie mark, not to mention she'll be mercilessly teased otherwise.  The ending resolves that by having Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo stand up for her, and stand together against the bullies.  I guess you COULD lean on the excuse that they're just impulsive and that's how kids are or whatever, but it still feels like something's missing in those later episodes...  particularly since the CMC seem just as obsessed about getting their cutie marks in those episodes as Apple Bloom is in this episode.

I also feel like Twist was a pointless addition, her reason for being in the episode...  I can't really tell, because it seems like she's just there for a final hope-shot at Apple Bloom not being the only blank flank in class...  Come to think of it, why wasn't Sweetie Belle or Scootaloo in class with Apple Bloom?  They're shown to be in the same class in every episode after this, what's up with that?

Speaking of class, Cheerilee is the WORST teacher ever.  Other episodes will help reenforce this point, but in this episode, she literally calls out Apple Bloom for passing a note, even though she's actually RECEIVING the note, and then does NOTHING as the class begins to laugh at her for having a blank flank...  I'm actually looking forward to future episodes, where I'll call her out on her poor teaching skills and her authority AS a teacher!

...But yeah, this episode?  Not too bad.  ...Also, cupcakes.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEjbVeLXPc0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEjbVeLXPc0</a>

September 30, 2013, 02:44:43 AM
Reply #122
5 stars!

I love Twist too.

September 30, 2013, 04:08:17 AM
Reply #123
I guess you COULD lean on the excuse that they're just impulsive and that's how kids are or whatever, but it still feels like something's missing in those later episodes...  particularly since the CMC seem just as obsessed about getting their cutie marks in those episodes as Apple Bloom is in this episode.

Well, really only "Stare Master", "The Show Stoppers" and "The Cutie Mark Chronicles".

Afterwards ... well, they keep doing it, but mostly in the background, and my feeling is that as time progresses they do it more because that happens to be what they do together. Seasons 2 and 3 start showing them being friends about other things than those cutie marks, but I'm not sure they themselves have noticed it.

I would like to see an S4 episode where the do get cutie marks and then worry if they can still stay friends when the common goal that originally brought them together isn't there anymore.
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.