Favorite Flashback?

Applejack's
Fluttershy's
Rarity's
Twilight's
Pinkamina Diane Pie's
Rainbow Dash's
All of the Above
A tie between any above (Would be nice to specify)

Author Topic: 1x23 - The Cutie Mark Chronicles  (Read 28329 times)

April 15, 2011, 01:09:33 PM
If I get beaten to the punch, feel free to lock this and I'll repost my thoughts in that thread.

Man was this great. Favorite part by far was Twilight's flashback for the awesomeness that was magic-crazy Twilight. Shame that only Twilight's parents appeared I think but otherwise that was great. (Though I heard some of the Ponies in Pinkie Pie's flashback was her parents? Might have to see it again once it's out on Youtube)

Only thing I don't quite get is the fact background ponies that we know are still the same like Lyra or Derpy. I didn't think they were that much older then the cast. But it's only a minor complaint. Can't wait to see what macros come out from this.

EDIT: In fact, Once I see it again I'm going to post a more detailed look at it here. Just too much awesome to be able to type it down the first time you see it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:44:40 AM by The Derpy One »

April 15, 2011, 01:56:56 PM
Reply #1
I loved this episode and the complete irony of how they all got their cutie marks.

Although for some reason I now keep picturing the CMC pulling a back to the future by somehow going back in time and screwing up the timeline by messing with Dashie's race.

BANNED

April 15, 2011, 02:00:51 PM
Reply #2
Only thing I don't quite get is the fact background ponies that we know are still the same like Lyra or Derpy. I didn't think they were that much older then the cast. But it's only a minor complaint. Can't wait to see what macros come out from this.

Holy moly, this episode was awesome! The end was really heartwarming too :) Scootaloo was kind of annoying though, even Rainbow Dash is more sentimental than her. Just as well that the guy who hosted the stream I watched it on replayed it, or I would've missed it. As for this point though, well, what do you expect from background filler? They're only characters in fanon. In the show, Lyra and the others are just there to fill space. It'd be pointless to redesign what is essentially background objects.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:02:44 PM by Blokeman »

April 15, 2011, 02:04:49 PM
Reply #3
Holy moly, this episode was awesome! The end was really heartwarming too :) Scootaloo was kind of annoying though, even Rainbow Dash is more sentimental than her. Just as well that the guy who hosted the stream I watched it on replayed it, or I would've missed it. As for this point though, well, what do you expect from background filler? They're only characters in fanon. In the show, Lyra and the others are just there to fill space. It'd be pointless to redesign what is essentially background objects.

Just a minor complaint. It doesn't detract from my opinion of the episode at all. The main point was the cast as fillies and that's what we got. I am content with that.

April 15, 2011, 02:45:15 PM
Reply #4
What is this "stream" I keep hearing everyone mention?

The only YouTube upload of this episode as of right now is horrid quality :(

April 15, 2011, 03:19:41 PM
Reply #5
I thought I was going to die from seeing a canon baby Rarity, but I didn't. I guess that's good.

I liked everything else alright. Especially the ending... ; ; wish i knew that sooner lol

ALSO, MORE IMPORTANTLY. As soon as I saw Twilight Sparkle's mother, was I the only one who thought she might've been a reference to the G1 Twilight? >___>;

EDIT: PS, i THINK  noticed there was a baby Cheerilee in Rarity's flashback...but she wasn't all that cute :c oh well.

April 15, 2011, 03:19:52 PM
Reply #6
I love how the irony is that if it wasn't for Rainbow Dash. Nightmare Moon would have ruled all of equestria.

BANNED

April 15, 2011, 03:53:34 PM
Reply #7
Awwwww this was such a adorable episode.. loved EVERY SECOND OF IT!!!!! Fluttershy is always so ADORABLE... also I love Twilight's mother <333 She's just so cute <3 :D

I loved Fluttershy's younger self ^^

Also it seems Derpy is older then Applejack :D

EDIT: WOOOO FORGOT THERE IS A ROAD IN ONE OF THE SCENES... WITH STRIKES IN THE MIDDLE. (A REAL LIFE ROAD IN FIM) = THEY DRIVE CARS <33333 OR THERE ATLEAST EXIST CARS<3333
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:59:11 PM by Derpy Hooves »

April 15, 2011, 04:00:38 PM
Reply #8
I love how the irony is that if it wasn't for Rainbow Dash. Nightmare Moon would have ruled all of equestria.

Everything happens for a reason, and everything is always just as it's meant to be. No more, no less. That's what you call "destiny"

Also, epic d'awwwwww at baby Twilight...lol

This provided me with an IMMENSE amount of information to work with for my fanfiction, especially for Twilight's past, not to mention it proved true most of my theories regarding the cast, and how they may develop in the future

BEST EPISODE EVER. PERIOD.
Pony Emblem Official Website

Pony Emblem Twitter: #ponyemblem

April 15, 2011, 04:15:22 PM
Reply #9
EDIT: WOOOO FORGOT THERE IS A ROAD IN ONE OF THE SCENES... WITH STRIKES IN THE MIDDLE. (A REAL LIFE ROAD IN FIM) = THEY DRIVE CARS <33333 OR THERE ATLEAST EXIST CARS<3333

Nope. I think you'll find, my dear car obessed friend, that roads were built looooonngg before cars were invented.

And did anyone else notice how Twilight's mother looks an awful lot like the G1 Twilight Twinkle?

April 15, 2011, 04:17:10 PM
Reply #10
Everything happens for a reason, and everything is always just as it's meant to be. No more, no less. That's what you call "destiny"

Also, epic d'awwwwww at baby Twilight...lol

This provided me with an IMMENSE amount of information to work with for my fanfiction, especially for Twilight's past, not to mention it proved true most of my theories regarding the cast, and how they may develop in the future

BEST EPISODE EVER. PERIOD.

I'm waiting for the back to the future 2 parody episode where Twilight has to save the original timeline from the alternate timeline because she accidentally screwed up history by not letting the first sonic rainboom happen.

and I think derpy just time traveled this episode. She's obviously the same age as the main six.

BANNED

April 15, 2011, 04:20:50 PM
Reply #11
Nope. I think you'll find, my dear car obessed friend, that roads were built looooonngg before cars were invented.

bBut but but... the road is exaactly like Real life Car road. :'(

WAAAAA *cries*

It looks like it's for cars tho. ;)

April 15, 2011, 04:34:24 PM
Reply #12
and I think derpy just time traveled this episode. She's obviously the same age as the main six.

*insert Doctor Who[of] timelord joke here*

April 15, 2011, 05:30:05 PM
Reply #13
ALSO, MORE IMPORTANTLY. As soon as I saw Twilight Sparkle's mother, was I the only one who thought she might've been a reference to the G1 Twilight? >___>;

And did anyone else notice how Twilight's mother looks an awful lot like the G1 Twilight Twinkle?

I noticed that too. If only she was pink, she would have been identical to G1 Twilight. I love how Twilight Sparkle went all avatar-state on everyone after the sonic rainboom.

April 15, 2011, 05:54:36 PM
Reply #14
I didn't really dig the part where it was all made possible by Rainbow Dash. It's like the writers have caught onto how fanfic writers have turned her into a Mary Sue and followed suit. Other than that, the episode was great. I in particular liked Twilight and Pinkie's stories. "And that's how Equestria was made!"
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:56:41 PM by WeirdRaptor »
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage

April 15, 2011, 06:44:51 PM
Reply #15
Oh my gosh, Fluttershy is so precious in this episode I loved her the most, I lold Pinkies rock farm lol, and Twilight excitement is like dawwwww. Also Twilights 1G Mom o.O AppleJack went to New York? I guess Equestria is bigger then I thought :o and some of the ponies didn't have parents and already on their own, just look it at Fluttershy, fell down in to the woods,  saved by butterflies and remained there ever since, makes her total dropout from Cloudsdale  :( It's obvious.

And Rainbow Dash! you rock whoo hoo

Rarity hasn't changed though

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:52:14 PM by RainbowDash »

April 15, 2011, 06:52:08 PM
Reply #16
This. episode. was. ADORABLE!!!!!!!!! <3

Twilight Sparkle was so freaking cute as a baby, I just want to hug her!!!!!! <3

Well, fangirl spazz aside, this was a really good episode. However, the only thing I was disappointed in when I saw the main six as babies was Fluttershy. Is it just me or does she look alot older than the others? In fact, looking more different than them? When I first saw her as a baby, she looked more like a Flutter pony because she's got slender legs like them.

Am I the only one that thinks that? O.o

April 15, 2011, 06:55:58 PM
Reply #17
This. episode. was. ADORABLE!!!!!!!!! <3

Twilight Sparkle was so freaking cute as a baby, I just want to hug her!!!!!! <3

Well, fangirl spazz aside, this was a really good episode. However, the only thing I was disappointed in when I saw the main six as babies was Fluttershy. Is it just me or does she look alot older than the others? In fact, looking more different than them? When I first saw her as a baby, she looked more like a Flutter pony because she's got slender legs like them.

Am I the only one that thinks that? O.o

In Griffon the Brush-Off Fluttershy said that she is a year older than Pinkie, So I'm guessing this applied to the rest of the cast :D   

April 15, 2011, 07:01:20 PM
Reply #18

In Griffon the Brush-Off Fluttershy said that she is a year older than Pinkie, So I'm guessing this applied to the rest of the cast :D

Well, that makes sense. I need to watch that one again....... <<

April 15, 2011, 07:03:20 PM
Reply #19
Not mention they're not exactly babies...either way, my first reaction?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! This episode was just too cute! <3333 Especial examples were Flutter's Disney moment, and twilight's stuff, along with the group hug.

My least fave part might be AJ's past. Not sure why, just..didn't do much for me. I did still like it though, partly because it expanded the scope of the series even more.

April 15, 2011, 07:28:46 PM
Reply #20
Anyway I added a poll for fun

Anyway here I go with just a little more detailed look

I'll skip the first part since we basicallly all saw that from the trailer for the episode

Applejack's flashback isn't quite the best but it's still interesting. Applejack just wanted to see if there is anything more for her then the Farmlife and that's completely ok. Once she realized she was perfectly happy with Apple farming her cutie mark appeared. The Apple and Oranges reference was nice. Lil Big Mac was awesome and no one will ever get over how punny Manehatten is.

Fluttershy having longer legs then the rest was odd but again note that Fluttershy is one year older then Pinkie Pie and the others didn't seem to be any older then Pinkie so Fluttershy might just be the oldest in the group justifying her longer legs. Massive daw moment all around, especially when Fluttershy seemed to have a little trouble flying to even just one ring (A 3D Pony game with rings and nice controls would kick Superman 64 down even further then it was). Rainbow looked really spunky defending Fluttershy like that. Also the music number was very cute

Rarity's was hilarious with her horn dragging her everywhere albeit is a little scary to have something control you. Sure hope most Unicorns don't discover their talents by having them drag. If Sweetie's did that she may end up getting pulled right up to a stage mic in front of a whole audience. Also in the talent show seems to have a young Cheerilee (If so then the Main cast is older then we think...) and a blue Pinkie clone. Rarity trying to be perfect even as a filly was pretty funny, funnier when she at first thinks her destiny is a freaking rock (Rarity better be glad Pinkie's parents don't know)

Anyway my favorite part here was by far Twilight's again. Though first to note that Derpy isn't derped in Rarity's flashback but is derped in Twilight's. Seeing Celestia raise the Sun was awesome, hope we get to see Luna raise the Moon in Season 2. Twilight's Dad having about the same Cutie Mark as Trixie has already started alot of Speculation and Twilight's Mom being even somewhat based on Twi's original design was brilliant. Twilight reading all those books was very cute and just had to feel bad for her having to stress out an entrance exam. Most hilarious when Twilight was standing and moving her arms in a "Abracadabra" way. Then the awesomeness of Super Twilight happens, Baby Spike, levitating the judges, transforming her parents to Plants (I was actually worried for a second that they'd be stuck like that and thus why we won't see them again. Good thing that didn't happen because that would be most sad), Spike being enlarged to Tower breaking heights was funny and seeing Celestia take her up as her student was great to see even better with both past and present Twilight saying "YES YES YES"

Pinkie Pie being a part of an amish family was a very unexpected surprise, the fact she seemed to live in such a gloomy place and turned out how she is now just makes her all the more awesome. Her Double Rainbow face was fantastic and again will be everywhere. Though at the same time the dull rock farm is proof that not all Equestria is happy even if Pinkie makes it better, just makes the place seem more real. I find it canon that Pinkie is the inventor of Parties in Equestria. I'm actually a little bit interested in seeing Pinkie's sisters again, I'm curious to see what they grew up into. I still think the Rock Farm thing is canon but some people saw what came after where Pinkie says he'll tell the CMC how she got hers when she already did tell the story doesn't help that perhaps it was just a made-up Pinkie Story and we didn't hear the real story.

I actually don't have much to say on Rainbow's regrettably but any of the faces she makes when she realizes she's doing the Sonic Rainboom would be great for vectors similar to how the "SO AWESOME" face from Applebuck Season is used everywhere

Big Pony Hug at the end is nice but by far the best part on the end is Spike saying "When did you get so Cheesy?" Another point for Spike being us

Overall great episode. By far the greatest one I ever saw on TV and perhaps even best episode yet.

April 15, 2011, 07:39:33 PM
Reply #21
I didn't really dig the part where it was all made possible by Rainbow Dash. It's like the writers have caught onto how fanfic writers have turned her into a Mary Sue and followed suit. Other than that, the episode was great. I in particular liked Twilight and Pinkie's stories. "And that's how Equestria was made!"

If this episode has proven anything above all other dash related episodes it's that Rainbow Dash is the manliest man in all of equestria. :monster:

BANNED

April 15, 2011, 07:52:27 PM
Reply #22
If this episode has proven anything above all other dash related episodes it's that Rainbow Dash is the manliest man in all of equestria. :monster:

She's so manly, my mom keeps thinking she's a boy. ::) lol

though I think that charming BG pony with the tennis racket has her slightly beat when it comes to that ; ;

April 15, 2011, 07:53:06 PM
Reply #23
Man, I am so ecstatic that Fluttershy finally had her own song to sing, uninterrupted and a young Fluttershy singing to boot! So AWESOME!!!! Someone needs to put a youtube vid up stat!

April 15, 2011, 07:54:17 PM
Reply #24
You know what really interesting about this episode! That the main cast got their cutie marks at the same time :P

AND Rainbow Dash is not a manliest man :[ Shes a manliest girl c:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:47:20 AM by RainbowDash »