Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 1x22 - A Bird in the Hoof  (Read 11980 times)

April 25, 2011, 06:46:59 PM
Reply #100
Right, two things;
First off, I love that show, and that bit always cracks me up.
Secondly, this is VERY relevant. Look at the pictures on the wall behind some of the cast. My Little Pony pictures! XD

WOW  :monster:

May 09, 2011, 10:21:56 PM
Reply #101
Well this was a good episode the ending was good but princess celestia was pretty cruel in this episode just look at her at the end shes thinking that since she never told them it the misunderstanding was so little it doesnt matter well WRONG she made fluttershy go through all that work for nothing and to top it all off almost give fluttershy a heart attack from her thiking that the bird was dead while it really wasn't fluttershy should have gotten someone to slap princess celestia in the face for her so she wouldnt get put in a dungeon in the place e gets banished to

August 16, 2011, 03:31:41 PM
Reply #102
What's interesting is that this is the first episode I showed to my mom.  Only half the episode, though.  She didn't like the animation.

I liked this episode.  I didn't like how Celestia basically put Fluttershy on the spot by making it seem like it was her fault this happened.  On the contrary, if she had just said Philomena was a phoenix and her OBVIOUSLY sickly appearance was just a natural part of her life cycle, THEN none of this would have happened.  Seriously, the way she didn't even bat an eye when Philomena was coughing and hacking made her seem heartless.  Obviously the other ponies are not going to realize that's a phoenix and this is natural, and the way she says "she's quite a sight, isn't she?"...  Oh yeah, she KNEW they were going to assume the worst.  She KNEW someone was going to take it and try and make her better.  It's all a big game to her...

And yet she makes Philomena apologize for her antics but not herself.  Then again, who would dear stand up to the Princess.  Judging by how paranoid Twilight got, I'd say she knows more about Princess Celestia's tendencies then most...

August 16, 2011, 03:41:35 PM
Reply #103
I wasn't a huge fan of this episode, while I did like seeing Fluttershy try and take care of Philomena, it felt a lot like Stare Master 2.0 in the way that she tried to take care of this child like thing, and that all her attempts at calming the CMC down / healing Philomena didn't work out.

I did like Twilight a lot in this episode though, and getting to see how nervous and anxious she can get when Celestia is involved. I also enjoyed the beginning of the ep with the mane cast at the party and their silly ways.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

August 16, 2011, 03:49:18 PM
Reply #104
One one hoof, Celestia could of said something, but on the other hoof, Fluttershy could have asked if something was wrong. (that point has been  made a lot though)

As for the other manes, and non-manes, I imagine they didn't ask because Celestia didn't react. It IS her pet after all, so if she wasn't reacting, they likely assumed there was nothing especially wrong with it. (It's not like your loyal subjects will question your judgments, especially right in front of them when they come to visit their humble town.)

Fluttershy only reacted due to how dedicated to animals she is, not to mention her purpose is related to taking care of them.

August 16, 2011, 04:24:20 PM
Reply #105
Hrm...  Good points, well made.

BTW, isn't it weird that Philomena is a girl, yet her sickly form looks like a boy?  And how Hummingway is a boy, but looks kind of like a girl?

August 16, 2011, 05:59:47 PM
Reply #106
Hmm, who knows. Phoenixes seem gender less for the most part, since they don't mate anyway.

August 16, 2011, 06:26:16 PM
Reply #107
Actually...  Where do phoenixes come from?  If they don't die, and just keep getting reborn from their own ashes, where did they come from?

August 16, 2011, 09:52:13 PM
Reply #108
I...have no clue. they were likely created by a deity or something.

August 18, 2011, 11:21:34 AM
Reply #109
Hrm...  Good points, well made.

BTW, isn't it weird that Philomena is a girl, yet her sickly form looks like a boy?  And how Hummingway is a boy, but looks kind of like a girl?

With birds, the "pretty" ones are the males, not the female. Male humingbirds are colourful and pretty, whilst the females are comparatively plain.

August 18, 2011, 09:32:11 PM
Reply #110
With birds, the "pretty" ones are the males, not the female. Male humingbirds are colourful and pretty, whilst the females are comparatively plain.
Oh, how fascinating... :o

August 18, 2011, 10:09:36 PM
Reply #111
What I don't get about this episode....shouldn't Twilight have already known about Philomena?

But she could have been a relatively new pet, even so you'd think Celestia would have mentioned her in one of her letters.

My most faithful student, Twilight Sparkle,
Today I purchased a pheonix at the pet store. I might bring her to Ponyville one day.
But make sure you animal loving companion, Fluttershy, doesn't freak out!
Sincerely, Princess Trollestia

August 18, 2011, 10:13:28 PM
Reply #112
What I don't get about this episode....shouldn't Twilight have already known about Philomena?

But she could have been a relatively new pet, even so you'd think Celestia would have mentioned her in one of her letters.

Today I purchased a pheonix at the pet store. I might bring her to Ponyville one day.

Well, I would presume Celestia doesn't engage in idle chit-chat with Twilight, so I wouldn't be surprised if it just never came up.

August 18, 2011, 10:16:16 PM
Reply #113
I like to think of Philomena as a recent pet. The only letters we know of, are ones that go to Celestia. Best Night Ever implies they haven't talked directly in months, not counting Bird In the the Hoof.

August 20, 2011, 07:59:38 PM
Reply #114

Since Phoenixes "has a 500 to 1000 year life-cycle near the end of which it builds itself a nest of twigs that then ignites[...]reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix or phoenix egg arises, reborn anew to live again. ", says Wikipedia, I guess that Philomena has always been around, and didn't need to be reborn before that particular time.

I have no interest in terminal illness romances as a category. I saw someone else describe them as "like watching a puppy playing through the scope of a sniper rifle"

What is next? Yelling “fire” at a theatre or trying to get Westboro Baptist protesters INSIDE the funeral home?

September 19, 2011, 07:45:30 PM
Reply #115
i have something to do, so i'll do this instead :O

did anypony else notice a parallel between angel bunny and the rabbit who lives with the mushnic in this?
humty dumty sat on the wall
humty dumty had a great fall
humty stood up and rubbed her head
....humty dumty was never an egg
[/spoiler]
nothing can stop the spooge

September 20, 2011, 02:46:37 AM
Reply #116
This was a pretty good episode, all the mane 6 had their own moments with Fluttershy being adorable and Twilight showing off her "tough love". Anyone else think it was funny that Fluttershy seems to have a picked up a habit from Lyra? Or that Applejack had what looked like ham sandwich in front of her at the party?

September 22, 2011, 02:04:00 PM
Reply #117
Actually...  Where do phoenixes come from?  If they don't die, and just keep getting reborn from their own ashes, where did they come from?
All mythologies that contain legends of the phoenix usually come from lands that believe highly in creationism and thus the phoenix is created by that religion's God.

So Celestia created it.

September 22, 2011, 06:47:41 PM
Reply #118
All mythologies that contain legends of the phoenix usually come from lands that believe highly in creationism and thus the phoenix is created by that religion's God.

So Celestia created it.
Oh, I get it, Celestia's like a God walking among the mortals.  It figures that being around for hundreds of thousands of years, she'd mess with the ponies a bit.

BTW, I was just thinking about this episode today, and how I liked it except for one thing...  I SO wish I could find an Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog clip of Dr. Robotnik saying:

"Well, I do have one small criticism.  The ending; it was a little...  PREDICTABLE!"

Because really, it was.

September 22, 2011, 08:10:09 PM
Reply #119
Okay, thanks  :-*
muffins..

I deehliver mail auhl day, but I get no mail?! F**k der cumputor

~Derpy Hooves

December 08, 2011, 07:48:45 PM
Reply #120
I loved the animation here.  Fluttershy's expressions were vibrant and diverse.  Also, this is probably his only appearance where Angel isn't a complete douchebag annd is rather helpful to his owner.

December 08, 2011, 10:16:10 PM
Reply #121
Indeed. I liked that Angel was showing a kinder side here.

That makes me wonder: What if Angel is frustrated by her shyness? I mean, he doesn't see it that often when you consider Fluttershy is so free among her animal friends.

December 08, 2011, 10:36:41 PM
Reply #122
I loved the animation here.  Fluttershy's expressions were vibrant and diverse.  Also, this is probably his only appearance where Angel isn't a complete douchebag annd is rather helpful to his owner.

Angel was being helpful the very first time we met him, too. It was in The Ticket Master, when he was making a salad for Twilight to help Fluttershy get the spare ticket. It was even his idea in the first place. He also acted as Fluttershy's conscience there, when she was about to lie to Twilight about the motivation for cleaning her house.

<3[/spoiler]

October 09, 2013, 09:01:30 PM
Reply #123
EqD post on A Bird in the Hoof:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/10/2266-days-of-pony-bird-in-hoof.html

Most people either don't care for or outright don't like this episode.  I dunno, I thought it was fine.  I mostly just like it because of Fluttershy, though.  I... actually don't have that much to say about it.  Maybe that's why so many people don't like/care for it.

Though there is one thing I'd like to mention: while it's true Fluttershy shouldn't have taken Philomena without permission and that was a good lesson, I also think that Celestia REALLY should have made it clear that what was up with that CLEARLY sickly bird, and why she acted all nonchalant about it.

Also, that picture on the post...  For some reason, I'm continuously drawn to Fluttershy's ear.  It's weird how I pick up on details like that.  Sometimes I look at how adorable the ponies' ears are, when I'm not swept up in how adorable they are all-around.

October 10, 2013, 04:27:37 AM
Reply #124
I hope for more phoenix episodes.