July 28, 2014, 01:25:52 PM

Author Topic: Zecora's Cutie Mark?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Hellfireleo

Zecora's Cutie Mark?
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:27:05 PM »
What the !@#$ is it? Is it supposed to represent something? But it looks like just a sun symbol. Speculate with me. After all Zecora has a lot of talents it seems.

-Talking in poetic rhymes akin to Dr. Seuss
-Potion knowledge
-Botanical medicine/Herbalism
-Ancient Lore

But a symbol like that wouldn't be a real accurate representation of these, because I have seen a lot of different sun symbols, and her "cutie mark" or whatever that is looks most like one.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:29:55 PM by Hellfireleo »

^Click Me^
Striving
Verb
1. Make great efforts to achieve or obtain something.
Wanting something and striving for it are two different things. One's more challenging and the reward is sweeter.
Spoiler for Hiden:

Re: Zecora's Cutie Mark?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 10:30:45 PM »
I was thinking the same thing when I first saw the latest episode!

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 11:13:36 PM »
I'm gonna go with the "She's not a pony, so no Cutie Mark" argument. I mean, it was explicitly stated that she's somewhat of an "outsider", and not a pony, so I'd assume that her "Cutie Mark" is just tribal paintings or something, considering her background.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:31:14 PM by Nostalgia Schmaltz »

Offline Snowy Flanks

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 11:53:05 PM »

Maybe a cutie mark, maybe tribal marking. Either say sun like

Snowy Flanks
Spoiler for Hiden:

Species: Unicorn
Appearance: Average unicorn pony with blue coat and lighter blue mane. Chipped horn and ragged ear.
Hails from: Unknown
Current Location: Ponyville
Personality: Patient, Quiet, Calm
-Good traits: Cool under pressure, Likes to help others in need.
-Bad traits: Does not like people touching his back. Sometimes mentally checks out. Can't always tell when something is better of not said.
Abilities: Can make snow from the moisture in the air as well as survive in cold temperatures
Weaknesses: Is rather susceptible to heat waves.

Special Talents: Making snow cones
Hobby: Inventing new flavours for his frozen treats

Offline Hellfireleo

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 11:57:28 PM »
I'm gonna go with the "She's not a pony, so no Cutie Mark" argument. I mean, it was explicitly stated that she's somewhat of an "outsider", and not a pony, so I'd assume that her "Cutie Mark" is just tribal paintings or something, considering her background.

Hmm, maybe you're right. After all, it's not like her cutie mark has ever been directly addressed before by any of the characters.

^Click Me^
Striving
Verb
Wanting something and striving for it are two different things. One's more challenging and the reward is sweeter.
Spoiler for Hiden:

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 12:09:26 AM »
I'd like to say it's a cutie mark but I bet that even if it's not a magical one I bet the Zebras put them there as a sort of tribal tattoo. It might not magically come but it still might a custom the tribe does after the Zebra is designated what exactly their purpose in life is. Perhaps the swirl is for mixing potions.

Perhaps Zebras in early Equestria life watched Ponies get these marks themselves after realizing they don't get them they decided to make it so that Zebras have their own tradition for it. Until other Zebras are shown with actual other cutie marks or if they're exactly the same as Zecora's (Which would be boring unless if different tribes have different symbols) that's my theory.

Offline Hellfireleo

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 12:12:21 AM »
Interesting speculation. And very insightful as to the meaning behind the swirl, but what would the points around it symbolize? With the points it makes it much too sun-like.

^Click Me^
Striving
Verb
Spoiler for Hiden:

Offline infohippie

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 12:13:54 AM »
By its position, I would say it's meant to be a cutie mark. I guess the writers consider zebras to be sufficiently similar to ponies that they get cutie marks. I would like to see another zebra briefly so we can see whether their cutie marks are different, and whether there is anything else different between them.
As for what it represents... well we don't know for sure what Zecora's special talent is. She is very talented with potions and the like, so that's a good guess for her talent, but it's never been addressed directly. Cutie marks are meant to be highly symbolic with personal meaning to the bearer, so a sun-like mark could easily represent any number of things. Maybe Zecora's main brew, her signature work, is a really good sunscreen for instance?

Spoiler for Hiden:

<3

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 12:16:38 AM »
Interesting speculation. And very insightful as to the meaning behind the swirl, but what would the points around it symbolize? With the points it makes it much too sun-like.

Who knows? Maybe Zecora has a bright personality! hardy harharhar *shot*

In all seriousness yeah I don't know what the sun may represent. COuld be that maybe the Sun is related to the tribe while the swirl is Zecora's mark that makes hers different but the sun makes sure she's still identifiable with one tribe. Whatever it is I wish I could write well because this sounds like a good fanfic...

Offline Jack Pipsam

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 02:36:39 AM »
I am going with tribal symbol, because since they went to the effort to make her speak like that and be all voodoo, hell why not add more Africa generalisations in?

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 10:48:01 AM »
If it is a cutie mark it might not work the same way as a pony cutie mark does since Zebras are a different species (though they are of the same family Equidae) and culture so what a cutie mark means to a Zebra maybe very different to a pony.  This could also extend to the symbolic interpretation of the mark it's self.

Spoiler for on the screen, in the show...:

...Thus Equestria Girls is canon, so...

Spoiler for Deal with it...:

Offline Icarus

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 12:33:50 PM »
To be honest some possibilities hinted at here are quite interesting in terms of the canon and fanon for the show.  It seems logical to assume that in fact it is a cutie mark as its in the same relative position to other ponies that have them.  With that said as to its meaning it would depend entirely on what we would consider Zecora's talents to be, though she seems to make one brilliant apothecary, but it could be anything.  A spiral is a common shape in nature, but with that said spirals have also come to represent continuous change and evolution, which is possibly what the arrows facing outwards could mean.

The other possibility is that it could be a tribal tattoo, but then that is creating parallels and assumptions over Zecora's background with our own cultural assumptions.  Again, if it is the latter, then its likely we will never know what it represents as each tribe may have a different method of denoting specific meanings through particular symbols and images.

In the spoiler below, wonderful art by the one, the only, the beautiful and ever so talented - Vay

Spoiler for Hiden:

Online The Derpy One

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »
I always saw Zecora's marking as being the zebra equivalent of a Cutie Mark, and presumably it is dictated by similar rules, but the actual patterns which appear are specific to zebra culture and so they have no clear meaning to the ponies (and to us). Look at it this way; we've seen many Cutie Marks, and some of them are patterns and symbols which would only mean anything to somepony who knew what that symbol meant, since they're not a clear, literal image of something - for example, Octavia's Cutie Mark of a musical note carries meanings to us, but if somepony had never seen that symbol before, it would appear to be a strange marking lacking in any obvious meaning.

Since zebra culture is seemingly very isolated from pony culture - only Twilight seems to even know what Zecora is as of Bridle Gossip - it wouldn't be too far-fetched to think that they have their own cultural symbols and icons which could carry many meanings and connotations in their society, but appear random to us. My theory is that Zecora's symbol is a Cutie Mark, but in many ways it's also a tribal symbol... even in real life, these are not just random shapes, they carry a meaning which is just unclear to us because of differing cultural norms.

Until we get an episode featuring other zebras - which wouldn't be too much of a stretch, in my opinion - it's difficult to speculate much further beyond this...

Offline Helbrann

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 05:00:35 PM »
The Derpy One is pretty much spot-on with my thoughts. I'd love to see an episode where the Mane Six travel to Zecora's homeland and we find out where she comes from and why she prefers the Everfree Forest over her home.