Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 1x21 - Over a Barrel  (Read 18705 times)

October 09, 2011, 09:12:54 PM
Reply #200
Yeah, I've gotta admit I always pictured "Fluttershy as tree" a bit, um, fluffier. That one's kinda creepy. Overall, I think it's best she remains a very huggable pony.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

<3[/spoiler]

October 15, 2011, 10:54:05 AM
Reply #201
Your Profile pic's creepier.

October 15, 2011, 11:07:53 PM
Reply #202
Your Profile pic's creepier.

Heh. I try. But who wouldn't want to snuggle somepony with such an adorable face?

<3[/spoiler]

October 16, 2011, 02:02:18 AM
Reply #203
It looks like she wants to snack on somebody's liver.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage

January 18, 2013, 06:04:24 PM
Reply #204
Bumping this topic for something relevant to the episode:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3VZn3yL4WA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3VZn3yL4WA</a>

This is the first time I've disagreed with him, though personally, he's got some good points, and most of what I disagreed with has to do with personal tastes in comedy, which of course is completely subjective, even compared to most entertainment.

STILL don't like this episode much, for a number of reasons.  I don't hate it as much as Feeling Pinkie Keen, but I think it did help to solidify why I don't like Dave Polsky.

January 18, 2013, 06:14:23 PM
Reply #205
Over a Barrel: PewDiePie's Nightmare

I'm so sorry....I know we got our fair share of people who LOATHE him.

TOO MANY FLUTTERSHYING CONS

January 18, 2013, 06:16:37 PM
Reply #206
Over a Barrel: PewDiePie's Nightmare

I'm so sorry....I know we got our fair share of people who LOATHE him.
Who's PewDiePie?

January 18, 2013, 06:19:50 PM
Reply #207
Who's PewDiePie?
Some YouTuber who does Let's Plays, and somehow got popular for it, mainly for doing Amnesia and Happy WHeels videos.

January 18, 2013, 06:23:47 PM
Reply #208
Some YouTuber who does Let's Plays, and somehow got popular for it, mainly for doing Amnesia and Happy WHeels videos.
Can't really loathe someone I don't know...

January 18, 2013, 06:26:21 PM
Reply #209
Can't really loathe someone I don't know...
Oh trust me, there's other users that know who he is, and they HATE him. You're not one of those I was thinking of.

I made the joke because PDP seems to have a running joke where he hates barrels.

January 18, 2013, 06:29:46 PM
Reply #210
Oh trust me, there's other users that know who he is, and they HATE him. You're not one of those I was thinking of.

I made the joke because PDP seems to have a running joke where he hates barrels.
Oh...  In-jokes...  You know, it's funny how so many people on the Internet use a meme or joke and expect a laugh, only to realize their joke is so obtuse or out of context that nobody finds it funny.

No offense to you, I just see this sort of thing far too often on the Internet, especially on "CanIHasCheezburger", Reddit, and YouTube.

October 08, 2013, 09:11:28 PM
Reply #211
EqD post on Over a Barrel:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/10/2166-days-of-pony-over-barrel.html

This is the second episode Dave Polsky wrote for the show...  and I didn't like it.  I don't LOATHE it as much as Feeling Pinkie Keen, but it, overall, just felt really stupid, ESPECIALLY the climax.  Like, there are things I like that are in it, like Braeburn and the buffalo species as a sentient race separate from ponies.

But I mostly don't like it.  For one, there's the whole "cowboys vs. indians" angle.  I get the feeling that someone at DHX (then Studio B) remembered those old Western shows and thought it would be a cute, fun homage to make an episode based on it, completely ignoring (or maybe they really WERE ignorant) of the whole, you know, what ACTUALLY HAPPENED to the Native Americans?  Really, I just can't bring myself to enjoy that type of stuff, it makes me feel awkward, especially since Native Americans are still pretty much getting the shaft.  I'm told time and time again that I should focus on the actual context within the show instead of what happened real life, but you know what?  That only makes things WORSE!  The buffalo are portrayed as wholly antagonistic here, especially at the beginning ("we didn't want to hurt anyone" my ass, Little Strongheart!), not to mention their reasons for being so abrasive to the settler ponies feels really petty.  They want their land back because it's "sacred"...

...And they were there first.

Really, the whole "sacred" argument alone feels pretty lame to me anyway, not helped by the fact that the show seems to make fun of this as well, showing buffalo asleep as Chief Thunderhooves explains why the land is so important.  The only thing I can really side on them is the whole "they were here first", because yeah, the settler ponies were pretty insensitive just planting down on the land that used to belong to the buffalo, but the settlers need that land to grow food, so it's a bit of a pickle...  Honestly, though, with how friendly the settlers seem and how grumpy and initially antagonistic the buffalo seem, it was kind of easy for me to side with the ponies, even though I SHOULD be either siding with the buffalo (since they ARE stand-ins for Native Americans) or at least see both sides as reasonable, like Twilight did...

Oh, and the comedy.  People say this is why the episode is so good, I think it only hurts it.  You know how in Digimon, they added a lot of puns and bad jokes into the American dub?  As JesuOtaku describes it in her Digimon series retrospective, doing it in season one, Digimon Adventure, was like pinching an elephant, a little annoying, but didn't really hurt because the characters were strong enough to make you overlook it.  Season 2, Digimon Adventure 02, on the other hand, was like shooting a wounded deer, it's already struggling because of the bad writing of the original Japanese version, and adding the jokes is only causing it to wretch around more!  Well that's how I feel about the comedy bits in this episode, I didn't laugh at otherwise funny and clever jokes because I hated the story, and the jokes were only making me more frustrated!

The part that REALLY gets to me, though, was the song!  It's like Dave Polsky wanted to have a corny song for Sheriff Silverstar and Chief Thunderhooves to hate, but didn't realize that Daniel Ingram was a good songwriter, or maybe unlike Show Stoppers, Daniel didn't get the memo that the song was supposed to be awful, and instead we get a cute catchy song from Pinkie Pie that Silverstar and Thunderhooves thought was "the worst performance [they've] ever seen"!  Not only that, but it made both sides COMPLETELY irrational, in which they refused to listen to any kind of reason and made them start an all-out war!  ...Trhough a pie fight...

Yes, this would start a trend with Dave Polsky episodes: clunky writing with a big dumb climax.  People go on and on about how funny this was, but I was like "NO, this is so STUPID!  Why the Hell is Pinkie's song pissing them off?  Why is any of this happening?!"  To make matters worse, there's this completely drawn out, melodramatic "death scene" with Chief Thunderhooves getting hit by a pie, which would be bad enough...  if he didn't taste the pie, thought it was delicious, and decided to end the conflict and compromise in exchange for more pies.

As dumb as the episode got, this literally caused me to facepalm.  I'm not even joking, or doing that *facepalm* thing most people do on the Internet, like they type "lol" but they didn't really laugh out loud, literally, my hand went right for my forehead when I saw that scene.  Worse yet, they treat the message like they treated the episode: like one big fat stupid joke.  It all felt so phoned in, like they honestly didn't give a crap or weren't that committed to the moral anyway.  The fact that Pinkie Pie already tried to teach that message, as she pointed out at the very end, didn't help matters either.

You know, lately, I've thought about how people can look deeply into things and find something insightful, or say something is shallow or isn't that interesting just because they didn't like it.  Well for everyone who had fun with this episode, enjoyed what went on in it, or had anything nice to say in regards to this episode, I'm sorry, I really just don't like it...  I'm almost tempted to say I hate it, just because of how frustrated it made me feel thinking about this episode...  Dave Polsky episodes tend to do that a lot with me...

October 16, 2013, 11:23:27 PM
Reply #212
So I've been watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, and I saw the episode "The Northern Air Temple", and then I watched Doug Walker's recap on it:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/39651-the-last-airbender-vlogs-the-northern-air-temple

And listening to him talk about "tradition vs. progress", and thinking about how the Avatar episode tackles it, it had me rethink my position on this episode, and why the buffalo were so pissy about their "sacred" land...

All-in-all, I have to say I'm still not really convinced that they had a compelling argument.  I still think it sucks that the settler ponies just planted apple trees over their land and such, though the way the episode plays out, you get the impression that the two sides never actually talked...  Like, the buffalo never actually told the settler ponies why they were so upset, or why they were attacking them.  Keeping traditions has it's place, since you can learn from it, but the way it's played out in Over a Barrel, it seems like neither side actually bothered to talk things out and just jumped to fighting each other.  And that really doesn't make any sense, you'd at LEAST think that the buffalo would say WHY they're upset, like, as they're attacking the settler ponies.

So yeah, now I think this episode is actually weaker now, albeit for slightly different reasons.