Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 1x11 - Winter Wrap Up  (Read 10331 times)

August 16, 2011, 02:37:13 PM
Reply #50
I like the episode because everyone looks so cute in their little jackets! X3

I felt really, REALLY sad when Twilight gave into her temptation to use magic, only to backfire on her.  And Spike, who's been bugging her all this time to use it, calls her out on it!  Spike is such a JERK sometime!  It's probably they're way of saying Spike's a young boy and that's how boys act at that age.  But still, can't he tell how important this is to Twilight?  Not to mention, helping the Earth pony way by not using magic?  Well then what about the pegasi?  They're not Earth ponies.  Why's it okay for them to use their wings but not for unicorns to use their magic? 

I'm just messing around with that last part about the Earth pony BS, but seriously, majorly upsetting seeing Twilight that frustrated and crying like that.  Makes it a whole lot better when she finds her place.

The song was nice too.

August 16, 2011, 02:52:52 PM
Reply #51
I'm guessing Spike was tired of being forced awake, and got revenge on her throughout the day for it.

August 16, 2011, 03:06:58 PM
Reply #52
I agree this was the one episode where Spike actually started to annoy me, but as you said, that's just how children can be sometimes.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

August 16, 2011, 03:58:14 PM
Reply #53
I'm guessing Spike was tired of being forced awake, and got revenge on her throughout the day for it.
Well that's some disproportionate retribution if I ever saw it.  Still, it goes along with the childish immaturity thing I mentioned.

August 16, 2011, 05:45:04 PM
Reply #54
Well that's some disproportionate retribution if I ever saw it.  Still, it goes along with the childish immaturity thing I mentioned.

Actually, based on how much he does around the library, I'm not so sure about that. Aside from, from the looks of things, constantly taking care of the books he also does her cooking and cleaning. I'm not saying she doesn't appreciate his efforts, but at the least, he deserved the day off. Twi was excited to help out anyways, so she would of made up for absence. (All he ended up doing was checking off the list anyway).

To put it further, she enjoys her studying, so it's not like she feels the effort of having to do something she doesn't want to do. he's also her spell guinea pig, you could easily create a fic depicting a dark scenario related to something going wrong there.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:48:48 PM by FlamingLight »

August 16, 2011, 06:25:16 PM
Reply #55

Actually, based on how much he does around the library, I'm not so sure about that. Aside from, from the looks of things, constantly taking care of the books he also does her cooking and cleaning. I'm not saying she doesn't appreciate his efforts, but at the least, he deserved the day off. Twi was excited to help out anyways, so she would of made up for absence. (All he ended up doing was checking off the list anyway).

To put it further, she enjoys her studying, so it's not like she feels the effort of having to do something she doesn't want to do. he's also her spell guinea pig, you could easily create a fic depicting a dark scenario related to something going wrong there.
But Spike loves doing stuff around the library.  And if anything, he should have known how excited Twilight was for this day at least a few days in advance.  And I've never seen him cook for her, and Twilight cleans the library, too.

But I'll say this.  He deserves A day off.  Perhaps not that specific day, but certainly a day off.  If not a week off.

Either either case, in Owl's Well That Ends Well, it's more the clear how much Twilight cares for Spike and vice versa.  I don't think she'd do anything to harm Spike purposefully.  Not to mention, Spike seems pretty willing to go through with being her guinea pig (not always, but still).  You COULD create a fic where things between them go wrong...  But then again, that doesn't make it canon, now does it?

August 16, 2011, 07:57:02 PM
Reply #56
The episode sorta gave me some Fridge Horror, actually. Oh, it was good.... entertaining and all. But can you imagine living in a world so anal-retentive and micromanaged that you have to manually turn the seasons? It's nightmare enough having to mow your lawn and shovel your driveway!

And the inefficiency of scraping the snow (and a good bit of topsoil, I bet) off the ground (the HAND CRAFTED snow with INDIVIDUALLY MADE FLAKES, remember! Don't you feel your job was worthwhile, Mr. Snowflake Maker?) just to pile it up SOMEWHERE ELSE... rather than let it melt gradually and return moisture and nutrients to the soil....had me tearing my hair out.   Their animals are so lethargic and inbred they need to be woken up by groundskeepers; the plants are such feeble hybrids that even the GRASS ITSELF needs replanted every year.....
The sheer magnitude of the bureaucracy, the endless mountains of pointless make-work, the millions of wasted pony-hours with one pony pulling up nails just to have another pony hammer them back down---- Living in Equestria must be like a cross between the DMV, the Post Office, the IRS and a post-9-11 airport terminal. All the time. Forever.  ???

You are awesome. These ponies have Cutie Marks that are snowflakes - marks that dictate their LIFE'S CALLING. And they're going to just stop out someone's reason for being each year. But since they have to make more, I guess it's not a big deal.

I actually don't really like this episode - or the song - It's a little mundane to me.

I have no interest in terminal illness romances as a category. I saw someone else describe them as "like watching a puppy playing through the scope of a sniper rifle"

What is next? Yelling “fire” at a theatre or trying to get Westboro Baptist protesters INSIDE the funeral home?

August 16, 2011, 08:32:08 PM
Reply #57
It was the first of the really good ones, I think. and the song may not be terribly wonderful, but I've found it makes awesome running music.

August 16, 2011, 09:44:13 PM
Reply #58
I think Applejack can't sing. Probably the only reason I don't listen to the song.

It took me forever to realize in the intro of the show that she said "Faithful and strong" and not Rarity. Strange, huh?

What's worse than finding a worm in your apple?

Dying in a plane crash.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

August 16, 2011, 09:46:53 PM
Reply #59

August 16, 2011, 09:59:49 PM
Reply #60
But Spike loves doing stuff around the library.  And if anything, he should have known how excited Twilight was for this day at least a few days in advance.  And I've never seen him cook for her, and Twilight cleans the library, too.

But I'll say this.  He deserves A day off.  Perhaps not that specific day, but certainly a day off.  If not a week off.

Either either case, in Owl's Well That Ends Well, it's more the clear how much Twilight cares for Spike and vice versa.  I don't think she'd do anything to harm Spike purposefully.  Not to mention, Spike seems pretty willing to go through with being her guinea pig (not always, but still).  You COULD create a fic where things between them go wrong...  But then again, that doesn't make it canon, now does it?

Put it this way, my main point, all things considered, he's more mature then he's being given credit for.

Actually, in Owl's Well, ironically enough that you mention, he asks what she wants for breakfast, implying he does the cooking. 

As for not being canon, well yeah, but the fact one could imagine the scenarios lends some kind of weight. Such things wouldn't happen in the show though, I realize.

August 16, 2011, 11:31:34 PM
Reply #61
Put it this way, my main point, all things considered, he's more mature then he's being given credit for.

Actually, in Owl's Well, ironically enough that you mention, he asks what she wants for breakfast, implying he does the cooking. 

As for not being canon, well yeah, but the fact one could imagine the scenarios lends some kind of weight. Such things wouldn't happen in the show though, I realize.
He's still a baby dragon (or at least a baby as far as dragons are concerned), and it would seem typical for a girl's show.  That's the way I see it, and in that way, it makes sense to me that he would be immature.

Well, you have me there.

I think I'm going to file all of this under "alternate character interpretations", because from what I've seen, Spike is responsible and reliable to a point.  He makes mistakes but does an otherwise fantastic job as Twilight's assistant.  He also acts out and demands attention from time to time, which is typical behavior for a little boy.  He can also be a little insensitive to Twilight's problems, perhaps not because he's mean, but because he doesn't see it as that big of a deal as Twilight does (like the Grand Galloping Gala tickets...  at least at first).  These are all things I know to be true because I've seen them in the show, and not just what I feel is what his character is like.

August 17, 2011, 12:40:41 AM
Reply #62
Nah, I pretty much agree with you, I'm just saying he can't be too immature either.

I'm sure we can agree his experiences with Twi are shaping him up way better then  a wild dragon would be.

September 01, 2011, 07:07:17 PM
Reply #63
Has anypony else noticed that in this episode the male population increases drastically in Ponyville?

September 01, 2011, 07:21:32 PM
Reply #64
Well, of course. The ponies can tempterarily create doubles of themselves for Winter Wrap-Up. Duh.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage

September 01, 2011, 07:41:03 PM
Reply #65
Has anypony else noticed that in this episode the male population increases drastically in Ponyville?

Maybe they were all busy doing jobs indoors? then during WWU they had to come outside?

September 01, 2011, 07:57:14 PM
Reply #66
So most of the guys in Ponyville are hiding in their houses, and only come out for WWU?

September 01, 2011, 08:00:03 PM
Reply #67
So most of the guys in Ponyville are hiding in their houses, and only come out for WWU?

I'd prefer to think Ponyville has a more guys then we see. It's either that, or there's a diverse range of things they go around doing. A lot of business owners might be male for one thing. We know of Mr. Cake and Mr. Breezy, oh and the stallion that owns the Quills and Sofas place.

September 01, 2011, 08:13:06 PM
Reply #68
That makes sense. Besides you mostly see the ponies around town squareish area shopping, and guys typically don't like to shop as much as girl do.

September 01, 2011, 09:30:54 PM
Reply #69
Yep.

We also see those 3 colts at the one skating rink..thing. I guess it could be said a lot of the males spend time playing sports as well, and such. pretty much, if it's not artistic, or business related, they're just having fun. :3

The same could apply to the fillies and mares, but of course the focus is on them or seeing them appear more often.

September 03, 2011, 01:06:43 PM
Reply #70
Well, of course. The ponies can tempterarily create doubles of themselves for Winter Wrap-Up. Duh.
no magic my ass :monster:

September 05, 2011, 11:15:41 PM
Reply #71
This episode was cool, hehe love the song of it hehe.

September 25, 2011, 06:58:28 PM
Reply #72
You're not a true brony until you had this song stuck in your head for a week non-stop. (:

September 25, 2011, 07:33:23 PM
Reply #73
You're not a true brony until you had this song stuck in your head for a week non-stop. (:
Oh shoot!  Does it really have to be a requirement?  It's a damn awesome song, but the first season has DOZENS of awesome songs that stay in your head.

September 26, 2011, 09:11:17 AM
Reply #74

That is the song I remember most from season 1.