Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 1x11 - Winter Wrap Up  (Read 10332 times)

March 24, 2011, 05:04:01 PM
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0GPanuus0U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0GPanuus0U</a>

Looks like there are episodes we still haven't discussed yet! Considering the popularity of the song, I'm surprised no one thought to make a topic about this ep. Since we all know about the song by now, why don't we talk about the other scenes instead? I quite liked the dynamic between Twilight and Spike in this episode, thought it definately revealed a brother-sister type relationship to me! This was an episode that really made Ponyville feel like a community too, with everypony chipping in to help out.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:27:44 AM by The Derpy One »

March 24, 2011, 05:39:20 PM
Reply #1
The definitely one of the better episodes in the whole of the first season if anything for its epic song.

Only now that a Spanish dub is coming, I can't help but wonder what it will sound like dubbed. Dubbing songs a very tricky business.

March 24, 2011, 05:44:41 PM
Reply #2
The definitely one of the better episodes in the whole of the first season if anything for its epic song.

Only now that a Spanish dub is coming, I can't help but wonder what it will sound like dubbed. Dubbing songs a very tricky business.

This is true.  It also definitely depends on how much effort they put into it.  You can make a great song a great song in any language, but sometimes dub companies just don't put forth the effort.

On a footnote, anyone who got snow this week shows the ponies have failed us.

March 24, 2011, 05:58:18 PM
Reply #3
This is one of my all-time favorite episodes so far. Loved how Twilight Sparkle finally found her place during the Winter Wrap-Up. :)

However, this episode got me to hate Applejack. Most of you probably know why by now. :p

March 24, 2011, 07:20:44 PM
Reply #4
I love the birds nest making part.

Also i feel like I'm some weird exception because I've never gotten "Winter Wrap-Up" stuck in my head. Yes it's catchy as fuck in the show, but not enough to register in my head :/

March 26, 2011, 02:07:39 AM
Reply #5
This was my first episode and is also my favorite.  When I first saw Spike in this I wasn't sure what to think.  I thought they had made him into a jerk, but now that the series has gone on, i see that he was just cranky :P

I love that song... that's the best song ever I swear.  It's as least as catchy as Duck Tales.  XD

I love how every pony had a job that went perfectly with their personality.  I did feel bad for Rarity though having to fix up Twilight's battered nest XD I thought it was funny though that it took her forever to do that.  And of course, this episode has the possible reference to Derpy's real name "Ditzy Doo."  I have to wonder if this episode had aired later, if it would have been Derpy bringing back those birds. 

Mostly this episode is good for highlighting each pony's personality.  So it's good for those who might not be completely familiar with the series yet. 

So yes, this episode is my favorite ^_^
I can't believe I didn't make a topic about it yet >_<

Looks like we lost whoever had that episode up though... darn.

March 26, 2011, 09:10:29 AM
Reply #6
This was my first episode and is also my favorite.  When I first saw Spike in this I wasn't sure what to think.  I thought they had made him into a jerk, but now that the series has gone on, i see that he was just cranky :P

I love that song... that's the best song ever I swear.  It's as least as catchy as Duck Tales.  XD

I love how every pony had a job that went perfectly with their personality.  I did feel bad for Rarity though having to fix up Twilight's battered nest XD I thought it was funny though that it took her forever to do that.  And of course, this episode has the possible reference to Derpy's real name "Ditzy Doo."  I have to wonder if this episode had aired later, if it would have been Derpy bringing back those birds. 

Mostly this episode is good for highlighting each pony's personality.  So it's good for those who might not be completely familiar with the series yet. 

So yes, this episode is my favorite ^_^
I can't believe I didn't make a topic about it yet >_<

Looks like we lost whoever had that episode up though... darn.

It was the user MAST3RLINKX. He got banned yesterday due to copyright infringement from Hasbro. Funny thing is, Hasbro doesn't even mind seeing episodes of the show uploaded on Youtube. Same for Lauren Faust. I keep hearing it could be a bot or just a bunch of trolls claiming to be Hasbro.

Yeah, it really sucks to see this kind of thing happen. -__-

March 26, 2011, 09:32:43 AM
Reply #7
It was the user MAST3RLINKX. He got banned yesterday due to copyright infringement from Hasbro. Funny thing is, Hasbro doesn't even mind seeing episodes of the show uploaded on Youtube. Same for Lauren Faust. I keep hearing it could be a bot or just a bunch of trolls claiming to be Hasbro.

Yeah, it really sucks to see this kind of thing happen. -__-
Sounds like what happened to CardGamesFTW. A bot suspended the channel but NinjaBridge for some reason stayed untouched. Thankfully the suspension was only temporary.

March 26, 2011, 11:15:10 AM
Reply #8
I definately put on a :( face when I discovered that MAST3RLINKX had been shut down. That was the account I always re-watched the episodes with, thanks to his higher quality uploads than Pensive. I suppose we didn't really need the vid, but here it is anyway:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXpWv--s2Uk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXpWv--s2Uk</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZxKDYKEW2s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZxKDYKEW2s</a>

Lots of recoloured Bon Bon in this episode.

March 27, 2011, 10:14:00 PM
Reply #9
Sounds like what happened to CardGamesFTW. A bot suspended the channel but NinjaBridge for some reason stayed untouched. Thankfully the suspension was only temporary.

Yeah, it really makes me wonder what YouTube devs were smoking when they made the copyright/DMCA claim thing automated. From what I understand, you can report ANYone with a DMCA claim, and it will auto-ban them, at least until a moderator checks it out.

March 28, 2011, 08:30:04 AM
Reply #10
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXpWv--s2Uk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXpWv--s2Uk</a>

Lots of recoloured Bon Bon in this episode.

Not to mention her twin sister...lol

Also, I love how Lyra goes nutz at part 1 - 2:31, such an energetic pony :3

The moment (aside of the entire song):

Weather pegasus pony: "Ditzy Doo accidentally went north to get the SOUTHERN birds!"
Rainbow Dash: "Oh that featherbrain! Didn't she learn her lesson last year when she went west?"

We all know who Ditzy Doo is, don't pretend you don't :>
Pony Emblem Official Website

Pony Emblem Twitter: #ponyemblem

March 28, 2011, 01:22:10 PM
Reply #11
Weather pegasus pony: "Ditzy Doo accidentally went north to get the SOUTHERN birds!"
Rainbow Dash: "Oh that featherbrain! Didn't she learn her lesson last year when she went west?"

We all know who Ditzy Doo is, don't pretend you don't :>

Actually, we don't! All that Lauren said on that matter was that, if she needed to show Ditzy Doo, she might use "Derpy" to represent her. Personally, I'd prefer that they remain separate contructs myself. Speaking of something that was actually in the song though, who the heck was singing with Fluttershy in the animal sequence? I assumed it was the white pony with the pink mane, if only because she turned up twice in that segment.

March 28, 2011, 01:52:44 PM
Reply #12
Actually, we don't! All that Lauren said on that matter was that, if she needed to show Ditzy Doo, she might use "Derpy" to represent her. Personally, I'd prefer that they remain separate contructs myself. Speaking of something that was actually in the song though, who the heck was singing with Fluttershy in the animal sequence? I assumed it was the white pony with the pink mane, if only because she turned up twice in that segment.
I thought Rarity was supposed to be singing with Fluttershy.

March 28, 2011, 01:55:07 PM
Reply #13
I thought Rarity was supposed to be singing with Fluttershy.

But Rarity is nowhere to be seen, all the mane cast get a quick cameo when they sing. If it is Rarity, why not show her feeding the ferrets or cleaning the rabbit hutch? 'Tis a mystery for the ages.

March 28, 2011, 10:25:13 PM
Reply #14
It could still be Rarity though... she was on the animals team, right?  Making nests and stuff...

March 28, 2011, 11:45:16 PM
Reply #15
It could still be Rarity though... she was on the animals team, right?  Making nests and stuff...
Indeed, which makes me think it couldn't be anyone but Rarity. Even though she wasn't actually waking up the animals with Fluttershy, she was still on the animal team making nests, so it makes sense she would share a song with Fluttershy even if off-screen.

March 30, 2011, 12:09:32 PM
Reply #16
Did anyone else notice, during the song, that the sky is bright yellow?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:20:24 PM by Blokeman »

March 30, 2011, 06:09:13 PM
Reply #17
My boyfriend came over while I was in the middle of watching this ep, right before they started singing. So the song was kind of awkward because I had just explained to him how the show is awesome and had action and jokes and they didn't spend all their time singing songs. But by the end of the episode, he was sitting playing COD and singing the song. He still randomly sings it to this day... although he sings it wrong. He insists it's called Winter Round-Up.

March 31, 2011, 03:05:50 AM
Reply #18
Tell him to sing it right, or not at all.  >:(

March 31, 2011, 03:34:36 AM
Reply #19
Tell him to sing it right, or not at all.  >:(

FOOOOOOREEEEEEEVVVEEEEERRR!!

Either way, not a bad introductory episode when you think about it. It's definitely one season 1's best, especially when you consider the song in of itself. Just a random note, before I saw the episode, I had already heard the song, and figured it took plate later on in the episode, rather then near the beginning.

March 31, 2011, 04:12:09 PM
Reply #20
He insists it's called Winter Round-Up.

That would make for a pretty interesting episode though. Fluttershy and Applejack work together to catch all the loose critters that've been nesting inside the houses of Ponyville.

March 31, 2011, 05:32:07 PM
Reply #21
He insists it's called Winter Round-Up.
Sounds like some crazy black metal song. Kvlt midwinter ponies of Satan.   ;)

April 02, 2011, 02:11:07 PM
Reply #22
How can you not discuss the episode without the song?!? Blasphemy I tell you!

Hmm but anyways other than Fluttershy getting a single or 1/2 (give or take) line in the song, it really made me disappointed in AJ in that one scene. But then again AJ is a hard worker doing manual labour and might find magic intrusive to the general custom of farming.

But it turns all good in the end where Twilight found a spot to fit in. Kind of funny, you would think that the Mayor herself would take that spot.

April 02, 2011, 11:00:14 PM
Reply #23
I'm so glad I'm not the only one disappointed that Applejack was such a stick in the mud about that. She didn't even try to help calm Twilight down after she ran off crying!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage

April 03, 2011, 03:55:51 PM
Reply #24
I'm so glad I'm not the only one disappointed that Applejack was such a stick in the mud about that. She didn't even try to help calm Twilight down after she ran off crying!
I know. It wasn't Twilight's fault, anyway. She only wanted to help, and didn't know that magic would be that much of a big deal.
But Applejack's still awesome, though. Everyone has their moments like that. XD