25 (37.3%)
3 stars... alright
7 (10.4%)
2 stars, not that good
2 (3%)
1 star, terrible
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: 1x19 - A Dog and Pony Show  (Read 12597 times)

March 12, 2011, 02:01:57 AM
Reply #25
I LOVED this episode. Rarity's bitching at the dogs was hilarious, the dogs themselves were hilarious, with their designs obviously paying homage to Gollum.

And the constant imagining of what could be happening, or what Spike would do when he got there really made the episode. And only My little pony could make gems look delicious...

As soon as I can find a high quality video, I am going to make so many macros.

March 12, 2011, 04:09:50 AM
Reply #26
That's not a plot hole, Dashell. That means you just didn't like it. A plot hole would have been if Twilight was able to copy it with no explanation at all. Yes, it was convenient, but considering that Twilight is always trying to expand her abilities, it stands to reason that she'd ask Rarity to show her that trick, so it's not like it came completely without the proper characterization for it to be possible.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:40:27 AM by WeirdRaptor »
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage

March 12, 2011, 05:43:28 AM
Reply #27
It's definatly not a plot hole that she could cast that.

However, I would totally call it a huge case of Lampshading.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LampshadeHanging

March 12, 2011, 08:23:23 AM
Reply #28
i don't get how following gems in the wall leads them to the dogs.

if anything, more gems = further away because the dogs havnt been there yet....
PONIES

March 12, 2011, 08:32:52 AM
Reply #29
Why Rarity episodes are the most popular, yet she's the least liked character around? OH THE IRONY

Funny references, nice plot, Rarity being a drama queen again, mainly Spike is a badass Spike, RARITY BEING KIDNAPPED LE GASP. Perfect formula for a great episode overall

And I'm sure that, even though Twilight can use the same spell Rarity uses, it probably is much less efficient. Besides, she specialices in magic overall, so her special trait should be to use any kind of spell with proper focus

At least this kind of kidnapping didn't happen

Also, "mule"? How could you Golum-like dogs? D:
Pony Emblem Official Website

Pony Emblem Twitter: #ponyemblem

March 12, 2011, 12:09:43 PM
Reply #30
And I'm sure that, even though Twilight can use the same spell Rarity uses, it probably is much less efficient. Besides, she specialices in magic overall, so her special trait should be to use any kind of spell with proper focus

That's weird, because I thought it seemed far more efficient when Twilight performed the spell, since she managed to find multiple piles of gems all at once whilst she and the gang were running down the tunnel.

March 12, 2011, 12:26:17 PM
Reply #31
I think they shoulda just not done the Twilight spell bit

but anyway

Rarity used to be my least favourite when the series started but she's probably in then top 3 or so.
also, has anyone noticed Pinkie Pie is getting no screen time lately...
PONIES

March 12, 2011, 02:32:38 PM
Reply #32
Not the best episode but it's certainly very good one, I didn't liked Diamond Dogs for their ugliness and stupidity. But I love How Spike shows his affection to Rarity and put Twilight in to a good use to save her :monster: 
Rarities part in this episode is totally awesome I like her even more now. 

March 12, 2011, 02:37:41 PM
Reply #33

"And just what do you think you're doing?"
"Please Twilight. Just give me this"

I loved that bit XD

March 12, 2011, 02:54:06 PM
Reply #34

I loved that bit XD

The best part in this episode :D

March 12, 2011, 03:57:18 PM
Reply #35
The real lesson here is:

Never ride a pony without her consent, or you'll be into a world of hurt.

Also, Rarity looks cute on her "damsel in distress" outfit. Of course, "distressing damsel" seems like a more fitting term...lol
Pony Emblem Official Website

Pony Emblem Twitter: #ponyemblem

March 12, 2011, 03:58:51 PM
Reply #36
I finally got around to watching this and LOVED it! Not the best, but after two weeks of Cutie Mark Crusaders it seemed like it! The Diamond Dogs reminded me of the villains of the old MLP show -- stupid and totally incompetent. :D I was hoping for Spike to make a comeback, and he certainly did. "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Bahaha! Rarity's whining was so cute. I really liked the message of this episode. Great jorb.

March 12, 2011, 05:23:22 PM
Reply #37

I loved that bit XD

I also loved that scene. xD

Pleaseeeee Twilightt!!! :3
I Lol'dd.

March 12, 2011, 05:50:27 PM
Reply #38
Eh, it's an alright episode. :/

There were some good parts in it, but so far, not my favorite. However, I did like how Spike's more focused in this one. Finally an episode dedicated to him. :)

March 12, 2011, 05:57:25 PM
Reply #39
Spike and Rarity's parts both rocked. I also agree on the cuteness of Rarity and her whining. over all though, the episode could of been better, but it was nice to see focus on 2 characters who seem to get it less, especially Spike.

March 12, 2011, 06:24:32 PM
Reply #40
I like to think that Twilight's imagining of what happened really did happen because let's face it Rarity truly is that OCD where the dirt would burn her. XD

But you know she does seem to have some interest in spike. I mean she didn't like it when he was talking about how great sapphire was, and to personally bring him along instead of applejack or one of the others says a bunch too.

BANNED

March 12, 2011, 11:14:26 PM
Reply #41
and to personally bring him along instead of applejack or one of the others says a bunch too.
True but he might have offered :P

March 13, 2011, 03:01:53 AM
Reply #42
i think that the whole twilight-doing-rarities-spell thing could be seen as a character plothole, on the premise that the mechanic of spells being things that ponies learn, rather then are born with, kind of gives twilight a +5 advantage. also, as has been said before, it would make more sense that if the spell somehow took them to the place where there were most gems, rather then the only path that had gems, which was what seemed to be going on. i'm hoping in vain that the dvd will have episode commentaries :) if it has fan commentaries, i volunteer for dragonshy

oh, and spike just knew about those robot like dog guards before they got down there, did he? maybe on dvd, this episode will be a little longer, and will make a little more sense :D

sapphire is evidently a soul singer, like aretha franklin or diana ross or something. hasbro could make a few extra apple seeds by releasing some of her albums, and worked so well with pinky and perky \ the wombles \ the shipmunks and so forth. not holding my ponybreath though

my first impressions when watching this, which i had to do with the volume right down just before i fell asleep; first of all, there's a priest i remember hearing about who wanted the book of revelation to be removed from the king james bible, saying "there's no jesus in it". well, i kinda felt like "there's no fluttershy in it". small complaint, but, in particular the bit where she bucks the dog off like the others? that was kinda flutterbrave, don't you think?

in addition, the bad guys didn't work to well for me. they were clearly inspired by the G1 bad guys, in the way they acted and sounded, in fact they reminded me very much of the grundles from the movie, but somehow it didn't quite work. they weren't as well designed or even animated in my opinion, even as much as the rest of the show, and they kind of got on my tits a bit. i looked at th ecredits, and they don't seem to credit additional voices. i wondered if they managed to get de'vito to guest in this one :)

to make up for these two things;

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1xB_5XqU_k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1xB_5XqU_k</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCt0Ce0X9rA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCt0Ce0X9rA</a>

now, may favourite thing about this is spike. i thought they'd toned down the crush he has on rarity, how wrong i was. in fact, in my view, he kind of goes from having a crush to starting to fall in love, when he sacrifices the gem she gave him. also the fact that he eats gems, which was referenced in ticket master and i think a few other places

and i love it when he turns into a pneumatic drill, the dream he has where he's a hulk, of course the bit where he rides twilight. he's just really really cool in this

as for rarity, i do love her episodes, i will admit, but i did kind of prefer suited for success. i liked this one as well, but not as much as the other one, which sported one of the best songs imho, the inspiration for the "20% cooler" meme, flutters infamous sewing expert bit, dj scratch, whoever the fashion designer was, "i'm so pathetic"... this one was defiantly a muti watcher, but yeah...

the other ponies were just kind of ... there, but that was also the case in stare master, and certainly in showstoppers, so on that note it was more of a spike episode then another rarity one. on the other hoof, next week we have a rarity and fluttershy episode <3 <3 <3 can'ee wait

so yeah, 3 1\2 out of 5 bunnies from me, i guess :)

an edit to remember; i just realized that bella is revealed to be one bloody hell of a soul singer in stare master, as she was in show stoppers. go go gadget cutiemark? would make psychological sense that her sister is a fan
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 07:16:19 AM by fluttershy »
humty dumty sat on the wall
humty dumty had a great fall
humty stood up and rubbed her head
....humty dumty was never an egg
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
[/spoiler]
nothing can stop the spooge

March 13, 2011, 06:16:44 AM
Reply #43
Dunno why but everytime SPike yelled No! I expected the Film Brain yell Shammuuuzum!

March 13, 2011, 09:59:24 AM
Reply #44
haha I loved the scene in the Beginning "Myy preciousss" :3

Mazda 626 '85 Automatic!!! myyy preciouss :D

March 13, 2011, 10:20:56 AM
Reply #45
Or Spoony to show up and yell "WOLVERINNNNNNNNES!"
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

March 13, 2011, 12:58:59 PM
Reply #46
"oh, and spike just knew about those robot like dog guards before they got down there, did he? maybe on dvd, this episode will be a little longer, and will make a little more sense :D"

They didn't strike me as robotic, simply heavily armored, though I could be wrong...I'll have to watch it again (which is hardly a task at all).

My guess is that they've encountered this race before, namely that they are on e of the wild/barbaric/intrusive peoples from beyond Equestria's borders whom most of the stallions are off fighting. My guess is that shortly after this episode they were all horribly slaughtered by regular army units... ;)...

I loved that bit XD

Agreed...awesome line.

March 13, 2011, 02:17:46 PM
Reply #47
Lol robots?? :)

We need a car monster :3

Maybe a Mazda 626 or a Mazda 323 .. or maybe Toyota Sprinter Trueno '83 :D

naw joking ^^

There seems to be aloth of things living outside of ponyville :O

March 13, 2011, 03:42:53 PM
Reply #48
haha This episode was cute!  I have to say that I really do like Rarity a lot!  I think she's very unintentionally hilarious (maybe intentional by the staff, but Rarity herself doesn't try to be).

It's odd because I usually can't stand people like her in real life. :P

March 13, 2011, 06:36:23 PM
Reply #49
My favorite bit of the whole episode was "I wasn't whining! I was complaining! THIS IS whining! (whining commenses)" I thought I was going to die.