Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 1x07 - Dragonshy  (Read 11902 times)

April 06, 2011, 03:00:52 AM
Reply #25
I know the moral of this was something like not underestimating a friend...or something, don't quite remember...but I think we can agree what the actual moral is.

DON'T. FUCK. WITH. FLUTTERSHY.
"When this baby hits 88 miles an hour, you're gonna see some serious (BUY SOME APPLES!) " - Dr. Emmet L. Brown (mostly)

"Snakes...why did it have to be snakes...?" -Indiana Jones

"It's Taco Tuesday!" - Sonata Dusk, Rainbow Rocks

" I do NOT say 'Blah Bluh Blah' !" - Dracula, Hotel Transylvania

April 06, 2011, 02:02:28 PM
Reply #26
I know the moral of this was something like not underestimating a friend...or something, don't quite remember...but I think we can agree what the actual moral is.

DON'T. FUCK. WITH. FLUTTERSHY.
Best advice EVER! XD

April 06, 2011, 11:43:53 PM
Reply #27
Cows can talk because cows are awesome. :awesomonster:
and they give us cheese and milk

Loved the MN accent from them too :P

April 08, 2011, 12:31:57 PM
Reply #28
The dragon in this episode would be the best postal service for Twilight ever.  :monster:

She could send entire pieces of furniture to Celestia with this thing!

June 23, 2011, 12:26:46 AM
Reply #29
Hmmm, okay. As Tennyo had done, I'm going to do the unpopular thing, and say that this episode cemented my feeling that of the six mane cast, Fluttershy is the one I least liked. And her cowardly actions in this episode are a bit too much.

Fluttershy fans, please don't kill me.  :'(

June 26, 2011, 05:52:20 AM
Reply #30
This was the episode that made me like Fluttershy... so that means its one of the all-time greats for me.   :)

Interestingly, my friend said he wasn't sure about the ending of it, due to Fluttershy using anger. Can't please em all I guess.

June 26, 2011, 08:56:14 PM
Reply #31
I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread before.

I totally get where poor Fluttershy was coming from in this one. I have a nasty fear of heights, as well as falling. (I know, her phobia surrounded the dragon, but close enough). It was a great episode for featuring the cast's traits all being on display. In fact, it really cemented how patient of a pony AJ is. (I think she'd make a great father like figure for that reason alone)

June 27, 2011, 01:52:25 AM
Reply #32
I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread before.

I totally get where poor Fluttershy was coming from in this one. I have a nasty fear of heights, as well as falling. (I know, her phobia surrounded the dragon, but close enough). It was a great episode for featuring the cast's traits all being on display. In fact, it really cemented how patient of a pony AJ is. (I think she'd make a great father like figure for that reason alone)

Indeed. AJ is such a wonderful pony! If there's a pony I've loved in this this episode, it's her. She totally deserved that Pony of the Year award.   :D

June 27, 2011, 09:55:24 PM
Reply #33
Indeed. AJ is such a wonderful pony! If there's a pony I've loved in this this episode, it's her. She totally deserved that Pony of the Year award.   :D

Too true, too true. ^_^

If I were a female pony, I'd want a girl like her,...I'm into the whole Country thing..*red* Of course, Mac also would be great..teehee

June 27, 2011, 09:56:53 PM
Reply #34
I liked this episode before I even became a fan of the series. Just a lot of fun and Fluttershy is awesome.

August 08, 2011, 12:04:56 AM
Reply #35
It was a three foot gap. A THREE FOOT GAP.  YOU DON'T EVEN NEED TO JUMP! JUST STRETCH YOUR FRONT LEGS AND YOUR BACK LEGS!  >:(

What's worse than finding a worm in your apple?

Dying in a plane crash.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

August 08, 2011, 08:23:35 PM
Reply #36
It was a three foot gap. A THREE FOOT GAP.  YOU DON'T EVEN NEED TO JUMP! JUST STRETCH YOUR FRONT LEGS AND YOUR BACK LEGS!  >:(

But it's so... high up... ...*squeak*

August 09, 2011, 05:28:29 PM
Reply #37
But it's so... high up... ...*squeak*

DO IT.

Dying in a plane crash.

August 09, 2011, 05:59:36 PM
Reply #38

August 09, 2011, 07:10:56 PM
Reply #39
I... I... ...can't. :(

You just have to believe!
Launching hamsters in 3, 2, 1...
Behold the power of pie!

August 10, 2011, 03:10:01 AM
Reply #40
YOU HAVE TO TAKE A LEAP OF FAITH!

...oh wait, wrong episode.

August 10, 2011, 03:21:26 AM
Reply #41
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFVClvVC2a4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFVClvVC2a4</a>
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage

August 11, 2011, 05:59:50 PM
Reply #42
Fluttershy started out as my favorite, not because I'm like her (and I'd venture to say I'm least like her), but because a good friend of mine is.  I still like her, but I don't have a definite favorite at the moment and nopony gets a free pass out of critique.  So, no, I don't think she's a "love or hate" character.  I like her without adoring her.

I feel the same way. This was the first series where I was unbias on which character is my favorite.

I enjoy Dragonshy a lot, and not because of Fluttershy, but because it was almost poking fun at me. While ironically my screename is Daenerys (who is a "dragon" and raises 3 whelps.), I have a very large fear of them. Despite me being brave around all sorts of creatures, seeing a full grown dragon in a game or film makes me react the exact same way she did. So it was a refreshing time to make fun of myself. When my husband saw that episode he kept poking fun at me. xD 

Artwork goes to Luna-Sedata.
Signature made by me.

August 15, 2011, 01:59:48 PM
Reply #43
I... I... ...can't. :(

YOU HAVE WINGS, JUST FLY OVER IT. GOSH.

Dying in a plane crash.

August 16, 2011, 12:04:18 AM
Reply #44
I love this episode for that freaking awesome dragon and Fluttershy being so cute!

I hated this episode because everyone ignores Fluttershy.  Not seriously, they FORCE her to join them, and completely ignore her pleas to just stay behind.  Even though it all worked out in the end, I just hated how they treated the poor girl.  Especially Twilight.

September 14, 2011, 11:59:35 PM
Reply #45
She could and she did.

Even with all that, if they had been sensitive to her feelings and didn't bring her along, the dragon wouldn't have budged and would have killed them all after Dash pissed him off, ending that friendship rather violently.
So Fluttershy would have instead lived the rest of the her life (however long that would have been with the entire countryside being choked under a gas coating) knowing that she chickened out and left her friends, who never would have been seen or heard from again, to do it by themselves. Then she would have rightfully been drowning in guilt. That is, before succumbing to the horrible gas the dragon was snoring out, perhaps getting a good show of everyone and everything around her slowly dying before she did. Oh yeah, that's a much better outcome and so much less cruel to poor Fluttershy.[/sarcasm] Sometimes, you don't have a choice in the matter, even if your friend is deathly afraid. They had all of Equestria to worry about. Fluttershy's feelings < All of Equestria.

Fluttershy's feelings are what's beside the point. Life throws stuff at you, and you have to deal with it whether or not you want to. It was convince the dragon to leave and bring every available possible resource to do it or have Equestria enter an ice age with the sun blotted out and with smaug filtering out the fresh air. Sounds to me like that would have ended their friendship with coughs, chokes, and suffocation.

You can argue in favor of Fluttershy's feelings until the cows come home, but it will not change the fact that the stakes were high enough that it didn't matter how scared she was. Running away from the problem does not make matters better and would have doomed every living being and creature in Equestria.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

September 15, 2011, 06:45:48 AM
Reply #46
I can agree with that Weird, but a phobia is still a phobia. In those situations, no matter the stakes, that person WILL panic, unless something pushes them to the breaking point. The only kind of phobias that should be forcibly dealt with to me are ones relating to people directly.

In hindsight though, Fluttershy coming was a good thing, and it was poignant for her char development, regardless of how much time it'll take her to overcome her fears.. In fact, with how things have been going, she could even overcome that phobia if she deals with enough dragons.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:01:55 PM by FlamingLight »

September 15, 2011, 11:07:23 AM
Reply #47
Phobia may still be a phobia, but the answer to that is: They. Absolutely. Did. Not. Have. A. Choice.

September 15, 2011, 12:09:39 PM
Reply #48
She could and she did.

Even with all that, if they had been sensitive to her feelings and didn't bring her along, the dragon wouldn't have budged and would have killed them all after Dash pissed him off, ending that friendship rather violently.
So Fluttershy would have instead lived the rest of the her life (however long that would have been with the entire countryside being choked under a gas coating) knowing that she chickened out and left her friends, who never would have been seen or heard from again, to do it by themselves. Then she would have rightfully been drowning in guilt. That is, before succumbing to the horrible gas the dragon was snoring out, perhaps getting a good show of everyone and everything around her slowly dying before she did. Oh yeah, that's a much better outcome and so much less cruel to poor Fluttershy.[/sarcasm] Sometimes, you don't have a choice in the matter, even if your friend is deathly afraid. They had all of Equestria to worry about. Fluttershy's feelings < All of Equestria.

Fluttershy's feelings are what's beside the point. Life throws stuff at you, and you have to deal with it whether or not you want to. It was convince the dragon to leave and bring every available possible resource to do it or have Equestria enter an ice age with the sun blotted out and with smaug filtering out the fresh air. Sounds to me like that would have ended their friendship with coughs, chokes, and suffocation.

You can argue in favor of Fluttershy's feelings until the cows come home, but it will not change the fact that the stakes were high enough that it didn't matter how scared she was. Running away from the problem does not make matters better and would have doomed every living being and creature in Equestria.
So basically what you're saying is "the end justifies the means".  Yeah, I get that, and I get that without Fluttershy the dragon wouldn't of left.  But it still bugs me how Fluttershy was basically treated like dead weight throughout the entire episode.  It bothers me even MORE that it's not until the finally GET to the dragon and when Fluttershy absolutely REFUSES to budge that they finally ask what's wrong with her, instead of just assuming she's scared of mountains, cliffs, avalanches, and caves.

To me, Fluttershy's feelings ARE the point, at least, the reason why I don't like the episode as much.  It WAS important that she came, and eventually got rid of the dragon, but I feel another lesson should have been learned.  The others (or at least Applejack) said they were afraid of the dragon, too, but not to the extent that Fluttershy was.  It doesn't really help, though, that she's also somehow afraid of her own shadow.  It's like the episode purposely made fun of Fluttershy's apparent fear for everything and made a joke out of her.  And that's just wrong.

So basically what I'm saying is, yeah, it's a good thing that Fluttershy DID come, and Fluttershy standing up to the dragon was one of her best moments, but everything that happened to her up until that point was pretty much insult after insult.  I GET that she "had" to come", but thing about it: the reason why she came was because Twilight assumed that since she was good with animals she'd be able to deal with the dragon.  If she had just LISTENED to her, she would have realized that that isn't the case, and that she's basically useless in that regard.  How she defeated the dragon wasn't what Twilight had planned and wasn't why she brought Fluttershy along.  It was good that she came, but she defeated the dragon in a way no one expected, which is good because it got rid of the dragon, but is bad because, well, the others had to get beat up in order for it to happen, AND Fluttershy was STILL ultimately forced to do something she through she couldn't do.  In a twisted way, though, it's sort of BECAUSE of Twilight's disregard for others feelings that the day was saved...  So to Hell with friendship, what really won the day was dragging a sad and frightened pony up a mountain and getting her angry enough to stare down and scold a dragon.

Hopefully, you'll see why I don't like this episode as much.  It's not really about the logic and the outcome, it's about my personal feelings toward the episode and how it just doesn't sit right with me.

PS

I'm glad that Fluttershy came because it means she got over her fear of dragons, and I love dragons.  So there's that.  It doesn't change how I feel about how it all went down.

PPS

By the way, do any One Piece fans think Fluttershy is a haki user?

September 15, 2011, 12:29:56 PM
Reply #49
So basically what you're saying is "the end justifies the means".  Yeah, I get that, and I get that without Fluttershy the dragon wouldn't of left.  But it still bugs me how Fluttershy was basically treated like dead weight throughout the entire episode.  It bothers me even MORE that it's not until the finally GET to the dragon and when Fluttershy absolutely REFUSES to budge that they finally ask what's wrong with her, instead of just assuming she's scared of mountains, cliffs, avalanches, and caves.
When you have no other choice, the means do. Personal fears about the cause of the destruction are meaningless if you not getting over them means that everyone and everything is going to die.

To me, Fluttershy's feelings ARE the point, at least, the reason why I don't like the episode as much.  It WAS important that she came, and eventually got rid of the dragon, but I feel another lesson should have been learned.  The others (or at least Applejack) said they were afraid of the dragon, too, but not to the extent that Fluttershy was.  It doesn't really help, though, that she's also somehow afraid of her own shadow.  It's like the episode purposely made fun of Fluttershy's apparent fear for everything and made a joke out of her.  And that's just wrong.
Dude, everything is up for grabs for the sake of a joke in this series. Every one of the ponies has had their flaws made fun of.

So basically what I'm saying is, yeah, it's a good thing that Fluttershy DID come, and Fluttershy standing up to the dragon was one of her best moments, but everything that happened to her up until that point was pretty much insult after insult.  I GET that she "had" to come", but thing about it: the reason why she came was because Twilight assumed that since she was good with animals she'd be able to deal with the dragon.  If she had just LISTENED to her, she would have realized that that isn't the case, and that she's basically useless in that regard.  How she defeated the dragon wasn't what Twilight had planned and wasn't why she brought Fluttershy along.  It was good that she came, but she defeated the dragon in a way no one expected, which is good because it got rid of the dragon, but is bad because, well, the others had to get beat up in order for it to happen, AND Fluttershy was STILL ultimately forced to do something she through she couldn't do.  In a twisted way, though, it's sort of BECAUSE of Twilight's disregard for others feelings that the day was saved...  So to Hell with friendship, what really won the day was dragging a sad and frightened pony up a mountain and getting her angry enough to stare down and scold a dragon.
On the point of "to Hell with friendship", well, their friendship was on the verge of ending with the grave, anyway. Encroaching cloud of smaug that was going to destroy all life on Equestria, remember? They weren't going to live much longer, anyway, and had the life of every stallion, mare, and foal resting on their shoulders. And again, the alternative, leaving her behind, would have instead subjected Fluttershy to guilt that she didn't go with them, guilt that she wasn't there to help when they were killed upon their lack of return, and then eventually smaug asphyxiation. How else could the chain of events have gone down?
You have to admit, that Fluttershy wasn't really making her case very clearly, on top of things.

Hopefully, you'll see why I don't like this episode as much.  It's not really about the logic and the outcome, it's about my personal feelings toward the episode and how it just doesn't sit right with me.
I get it.

PS

I'm glad that Fluttershy came because it means she got over her fear of dragons, and I love dragons.  So there's that.  It doesn't change how I feel about how it all went down.
It was also the turning point in her character development.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:49:14 PM by WeirdRaptor »