Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 1x18 - The Show Stoppers  (Read 12542 times)

November 29, 2011, 04:33:33 PM
Reply #100
Ahh now I see why so many people like Scootaloo. :P

Scootaloo doesn't get enough love IMO - she's probably my least-favourite of the Cutie Mark Crusaders but that's only because Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom set the bar so high... by any other standards I still love her! We've got a pretty good look at Apple Bloom in both Call of the Cutie and The Cutie Pox, and Sweetie Belle in Sisterhooves Social; I hope that we get a Scootaloo-centric episode someday to further flesh out her character, because I've seen some criticism that she's just a filly version of Rainbow Dash, or that she doesn't have much characterisation beyond that.

I disagree with those sentiments - I feel that her "hero worship" of Rainbow is just one aspect of her character which fandom in particular has really embraced - but since she's not related to any of the mane six she's already off to a bit of a late start in development, compared to her two best friends... Unfortunately, because she's not related to any of the mane six, I feel that the chances of her getting an episode focusing on her in particular are slightly more remote, though she's still considered part of the main cast (as opposed to the mane cast) so there's still that possibility.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

November 29, 2011, 05:38:15 PM
Reply #101
Scootaloo doesn't get enough love IMO - she's probably my least-favourite of the Cutie Mark Crusaders but that's only because Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom set the bar so high... by any other standards I still love her! We've got a pretty good look at Apple Bloom in both Call of the Cutie and The Cutie Pox, and Sweetie Belle in Sisterhooves Social; I hope that we get a Scootaloo-centric episode someday to further flesh out her character, because I've seen some criticism that she's just a filly version of Rainbow Dash, or that she doesn't have much characterisation beyond that.

Scootaloo really leaves me divided.  I think she's awesome and very adorable, but because of the other two members of the CMC, a lot of the time I end up just feeling a lot of, well, nothing for her character.  I think she has absolutely amazing moments, but then I either see Sweetie Bell being the sweetest thing ever created, or Applebloom coming up with some ingenious plot or plan that makes me end up laughing no end.  I feel guilty in some ways, but I can't bring myself to like her anywhere near as much as her peers.  I agree that a Scootaloo centric episode would be brilliant, but really the problem I have with this is she seems like such an ancillary character, that as you pointed out she is part of the main cast rather than the Mane characters.

I think it irks me that she could have so much potential left untouched, but then for a lot of the CMC's adventures, she's usually the one who is leading the way and forging ahead, and that in itself is a very likeable quality for me.  That hero worship you mentioned also does give her seemingly more of a concrete tie to the Mane cast and it's something we can readily identify her by, unfortunately I can't see her being given much coverage in comparison though which feels like a waste in some ways.

In the spoiler below, wonderful art by the one, the only, the beautiful and ever so talented - Vay

November 30, 2011, 05:56:12 AM
Reply #102
Yeah, Scootaloo really needs an episode. For the whole past season the CMC left me kinda lukewarm, they were really flat characters. I kinda liked Apple Bloom, but she had more screen time and a slightly more developed character (and a funny accent).
They seem to have aknowledged this issue in season 2 and they're fixing it bigtime. Episode 5 completely sold me Sweetie Belle and I like Apple Bloom even more after Episode 6. In fact, i'd go so far to say that 2x05 is my very favourite so far in season 2 (with the exception of Return of Harmony) for this exact reason (and it was also incredibly funny).

I hope Scootaloo gets the same treatment.

November 30, 2011, 07:27:23 AM
Reply #103
I find Scootaloo my least favourite character on the show, period. I like Applebloom and Sweetie Belle but Scootaloo leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's personal pet peeves with me, but her making a Rainbow Dash fanclub sealed the dislike for me. Her attitude irks me, moreso than Rainbow Dash's, because Rainbow Dash at least understands the value of friendship and is up for a good six way hug, but Scootaloo's main ambition in life seems to be to be exactly like her minus the loving, loyalty parts.

I hope they do give her an episode though. I would like to see her without the hero worship and go into a family a little bit. It's not that I think she has no potential, it's that all I have seen of her so far makes me want to run over her with her own scooter.

April 28, 2012, 02:10:21 PM
Reply #104
So...oi was rewratching the episode and really looked at the scene when twilight spoke to the girls about whose doing what. Personally her reaction was agravating to me.

Yeah they got different ambitions, sup?

I admire the CMC for not conforming to what people expect of them.

April 28, 2012, 02:14:08 PM
Reply #105
Well, it's one thing to not conform to what people expect of you...  It's another when you continuously miss your true calling in favor of something you'd clearly not good at...

Not that I'm complaining, I actually like the episode, and I find that's an interesting viewpoint.

April 28, 2012, 02:50:28 PM
Reply #106
Well, it's one thing to not conform to what people expect of you...  It's another when you continuously miss your true calling in favor of something you'd clearly not good at...

Not that I'm complaining, I actually like the episode, and I find that's an interesting viewpoint.
I've never seen them attempt something they failed at twice. But I fear one of the problem with CMC presence is that each writer seems to have different ideas of how they act. Like how the CMC damage some of flutter-shy furniture and yet in this episode we see one clearly can do some form of carpentry (I'm left to assume applebloom either studied or was handicapped by the others).

April 28, 2012, 03:00:04 PM
Reply #107
I've never seen them attempt something they failed at twice. But I fear one of the problem with CMC presence is that each writer seems to have different ideas of how they act. Like how the CMC damage some of flutter-shy furniture and yet in this episode we see one clearly can do some form of carpentry (I'm left to assume applebloom either studied or was handicapped by the others).
I blame Fluttershy's furniture incident on Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle's influence, since apparently, they didn't even know they were supposed to make a table.

June 09, 2012, 01:28:06 PM
Reply #108
The problem with Scootaloo is that she just hasn't got the same development time as AB or SB. Hopefully she has an episode in Season 3.

June 14, 2012, 08:31:27 PM
Reply #109
The problem with Scootaloo is that she just hasn't got the same development time as AB or SB. Hopefully she has an episode in Season 3.

SAME HERE! She needs one too.

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

June 19, 2012, 02:49:03 PM
Reply #110
SAME HERE! She needs one too.

If I remember right, her voice actress said she's getting one.
3DS Friendcode:
2320-6225-0063
EqF Discord Server

Show By Rock!! ID: 784396951
Add me or something.

My Lobi Profile

Your mother was chair making tools. :monster:
[/quote]
goes sleepy*
[/center]
[/spoiler]

July 02, 2012, 02:13:43 PM
Reply #111
If I remember right, her voice actress said she's getting one.

But I want it now.-

August 08, 2012, 05:17:07 PM
Reply #112
Scooaloo: being fast
Applebloom:building items
sweetebelle: singing
[\img]http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/28200000/Best-In-The-World-Rainbow-Dash-style-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-28246370-531-496.jpg[\img]

August 08, 2012, 09:17:42 PM
Reply #113
I think it's less to do with being fast and more to do with being good on her scooter and performing tricks.

October 05, 2013, 09:50:45 PM
Reply #114
EqD post on The Show Stoppers:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/10/1866-days-of-pony-show-stoppers.html

I'm a little "eh" on this episode...  I don't particularly like it for reasons I'll get into, but I don't hate it as much as others do.  I thought it was a cute, relatively enjoyable episode.

Now, I think by this point, the CMC have officially endeared themselves onto me.  They're just so cute, and they get along together so well!  The montage of them going around town is still as iconic to me as it was when it premiered.  I also liked the appearances of Applejack, Twilight, and the others, in addition to seeing the CMC clubhouse for the first time!  And hey, Rainbow Dash was there with Applejack and Rarity to congratulate the CMC, isn't that interesting?

Now for the bad stuff...  well, okay, the thing that most people hate about this episode, the fact that the CMC missed what was OBVIOUSLY their true calling.  For me, it wasn't THAT bad, but it definitely brings this episode down a peg.  Thing is, at least Sweetie Belle is justified for not singing, since she's shy about singing in front of others AND she wants to make dresses like her sister Rarity.  Really, the only thing that annoyed me greatly was that Scootaloo, for whatever reason, decided she DOESN'T want to do the dance moves, which she'd be good at, and instead wants to do a rock ballad, which is strange because we find out later that she HATES singing!  With that in mind, Apple Bloom is justified as well, since she's left with nothing else to do but come up with the dance moves.  Regardless, it IS frustrating watching the CMC struggle with stuff they aren't good at, and overlook the stuff they obviously ARE good at!

And the song...  Yeah, it's meant to be intentionally bad...  but that doesn't make it any less agonizing to sit through.  Well, that's a little harsh, I actually don't have the song sequence that much, but I still don't like it.  The song itself is good, in fact, Daniel Ingram had multiple versions of this song, but Lauren Faust kept rejecting them, since she wanted it to sound WORSE!

I also found it INCREDIBLY annoying that they were bummed out that the song made everypony laugh, only to decide that their special talent was comedy...  I guess they missed the point, AGAIN, in that they thought being funny was what they were secretly good at without realizing it...  Well, this can only lead to future moments of the CMC missing their true calling...

But yeah, an okay episode, with some minor annoyances.

October 06, 2013, 03:36:36 AM
Reply #115
And the song...  Yeah, it's meant to be intentionally bad...  but that doesn't make it any less agonizing to sit through.  Well, that's a little harsh, I actually don't have the song sequence that much, but I still don't like it.  The song itself is good, in fact, Daniel Ingram had multiple versions of this song, but Lauren Faust kept rejecting them, since she wanted it to sound WORSE!

What bothers me about the song is that it is needs to be all-out bad for the plot to work, but it fails at being bad. Okay, the singing is appropriately awful, but the music just sounds too good for my disbelief to stay suspended. Not inspired-genius good, but solid, smooth, professionally produced charity rock. Just listening to it gives me urges to dial in and donate money to starving adolescents in Palombia, or whatever the song is collecting for.
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.