Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: Session Timed Out?  (Read 446 times)

October 31, 2017, 12:43:37 PM
You know I get the feeling this site just does not like me.  :-\ Since yesterday the site keeps telling me "your session timed out while posting, please go back and try again" I have cleaned all browsing history and ran a scan that completely cleans Firefox and its' cache.

I'm on my tablet right now in case you were wondering.

October 31, 2017, 01:03:21 PM
Reply #1
is your computer acting kinda slow or buggy?

October 31, 2017, 01:24:42 PM
Reply #2
Have you trying logging out and then back in?
| 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 | Living Pokédex COMPLETED: 10/26/2017 |
| Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons and Pokémon Junkie | Graduate of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania -- Class of 2016 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."

October 31, 2017, 01:34:48 PM
Reply #3
This can happen if you take a long time to write a post on the full Reply page, or sometimes on a forum page using the Quick Reply box. Sessions have to expire like this for various technical reasons.

If it's happening after a very short time, then you may not be storing session information correctly on your end.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:35:20 PM by Queen Chrysalis »

October 31, 2017, 02:32:41 PM
Reply #4
Have you trying logging out and then back in?

I can't even log in due to this error, I would sign out on tablet but not sure if it'll let me back in?

October 31, 2017, 05:05:28 PM
Reply #5
I can't even log in due to this error, I would sign out on tablet but not sure if it'll let me back in?

Your browser may be rejecting cookies, or it may be mishandling them somehow.

October 31, 2017, 06:34:44 PM
Reply #6
Your browser may be rejecting cookies, or it may be mishandling them somehow.

So how do I go about fixing? Still on tablet btw.

October 31, 2017, 07:06:12 PM
Reply #7
So how do I go about fixing? Still on tablet btw.

This will be in your settings, likely listed under Privacy.

Your browser needs to accept and keep cookies.

November 01, 2017, 01:00:12 PM
Reply #8
This will be in your settings, likely listed under Privacy.

Your browser needs to accept and keep cookies.

I don't know what to tell you, they are allowed until they expire? Still on tablet. I've cleaned all history and the cookies/cache were completely cleaned. But this started a day before I did that.

November 01, 2017, 06:10:57 PM
Reply #9
I don't know what to tell you, they are allowed until they expire? Still on tablet. I've cleaned all history and the cookies/cache were completely cleaned. But this started a day before I did that.

Your browser might be assuming good cookies are expired, and deleting them immediately. It may also be that your session information isn't making it back to the server for some reason.

Other than that, I'm not sure what it could be.

November 02, 2017, 11:21:23 AM
Reply #10
Your browser might be assuming good cookies are expired, and deleting them immediately. It may also be that your session information isn't making it back to the server for some reason.

Other than that, I'm not sure what it could be.

I looked at the cookies and the one for this forum says "expires at end of session"?

November 12, 2017, 01:16:25 PM
Reply #11
i'm having the exact same problem

I am the member commonly referred to as "lower case fluttershy", as in, this is my profile http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php?action=profile;u=80

I havn't logged in in a few months, and when I try to log in, I get this exact same error, no matter what browser I use or whether I use my lappy or android phone. when I try to reset password or anything like that, it says it will send me an email and doesn't. I just sent myself a PM, to the same avail

furthermore, I don't know how to contact anyone off site to help, so I just started this account in order to try and resolve the issue (I don't intend on keeping it). I don't know what would happen if I logged out and tried to log back into this account

so yeah, at the moment I can't log into my actual account whatsoever

edit, when I try to log into THIS account, I get the same error...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:25:19 PM by lybyah »

November 13, 2017, 02:35:20 PM
Reply #12
This is a know issue, although I can't figure out what is causing it.

Still, when I have time this week, I have a solution that should work regardless of the cause.

November 13, 2017, 06:19:12 PM
Reply #13
TEMPORARY WORKAROUND:

It looks like this problem only exists with the quick login box that appears at the top of any page when you are not logged in.

If you click onto the Full Login Page and use the Login box (still not the smaller one at the top), then your login should succeed.

How this discrepancy is even possible is somewhat baffling, but it does give me some clues to work with.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:20:16 PM by Queen Chrysalis »

November 14, 2017, 01:59:51 AM
Reply #14
holy plot that worked :-X though, i'm pretty sure i tried that multiple times, where rather then using the quick login thing, i would click "log in", go to that page and try to log in in that way to no avail. when i click the link on chrysalis's post though, i get a new warning saying its not secure BUT i'm in, and i'm happy

so yeah, lybyah can be deleted now, cheers  :D

le'edit, oh, and even that page doesn't send me an email as promised when i asked to reset my password. i've been IMing back and forth with this account and lybyah and havn't seen a single email either, i don't know if this is related
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:57:38 AM by fluttershy »
humty dumty sat on the wall
humty dumty had a great fall
humty stood up and rubbed her head
....humty dumty was never an egg
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
[/spoiler]
nothing can stop the spooge

November 14, 2017, 04:19:22 AM
Reply #15
Yeah, there seems to be a problem with emails not going out. I actually want to get to the bottom of that problem first, since we found a workaround for this one.

November 16, 2017, 10:27:20 PM
Reply #16
It works! ... I suppose it didn't before could be due to me always using the quick login box. So I think you have to try the bigger one first or it won't work. Well tomorrow I have a lot to catch up on, I can't thank Celestia enough for randomly checking the forum!