Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: What are You Playing? Part II  (Read 10263 times)

January 20, 2018, 01:46:54 AM
Reply #450
OneShot is a pretty cool game...

Can't really say much more on that, though, since everyone's probably played it by now.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 02:07:37 AM by Nightmare Omega »
PLEASE check out my fanfic Elements Change the Dark Hearts and give me feedback. I need any and ALL criticisms!

January 22, 2018, 01:01:41 AM
Reply #451
I just finished OneShot (completely) today. I wasn't as far in as I thought before.

There seriously aren't any words. If you haven't played this game or been spoiled yet, please go play it if you can.

I went and checked on Steam, and it is the 9th highest-rated game of all time. Overwhelmingly Positive, 98%.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:01:21 PM by Queen Chrysalis »

January 25, 2018, 08:52:03 PM
Reply #452
Player Unknown Battlegrounds, it is a great feeling to get a sweet sweet chicken dinner.
"The answer, always, is the Wolves of Fenris, because they are clinically insane."
-Lunar Wolves Captain Torgaddon on the subject of the toughest Space Marine Legion.

"Bribery and threats are always popular, but generally avoided, especially if you're likely to attract inquisitorial attention as they're better at both and tend to resent other people resorting to their methods."
-Commissar Ciaphas Cain on winning over Tribunals.

I've been brainwashed so many times there is nothing left in here but soap suds

February 04, 2018, 11:55:10 AM
Reply #453
Persona 5, mostly, but I did finally hook up my computer in my new apartment. I'll probably be playing some World of Warcraft and Diablo, because man have I had the itch to play both of those.
Ask me anything!

Skype: sinceritystar | AIM: xcatxstarx | PSN: Atiqua | XBL: Aviendra

February 05, 2018, 09:13:37 PM
Reply #454
OneShot has gone over my radar, it seems, I have to play it eventually. Especially since I managed to toughen up and finish Doki Doki Literature Club, and much like Undertale, it has left a deep impression on me, far more than I could ever imagine. So I am looking for more unique and memorable experiences like those games.

I've been playing Subnautica recently, now that it's finally out. In a mixed blessing, my favorite FF game, Final Fantasy XII, is out on Steam, but it's absurdly high-priced and with really high requirements for a PS2 game. Has anyone gotten their hands on that game and knows if the requirements are as intense as they seem?

February 05, 2018, 11:14:31 PM
Reply #455
I played Doki Doki Literature Club.

There are very few things I genuinely regret. This is now one of them.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's an amazing game, and I love games that break boundaries and really make you think outside the box. I seriously loved this game.

But I also wasn't ready for it. I ignored the many warnings at the beginning, and honestly right now my life is somewhat worse for having played it.

If you want to play this game, then please heed the warnings. They're really not joking.

I just beat DDLC myself. Even though I took the warnings seriously, I was still pretty shook, and even depressed for a few days. I even have a friend who couldn't complete it, and multiple to refuse to play it because they don't want to get scared or depressed. Having gotten through it, I can't say I blame them.

I can't say I regretted playing it though, I loved it. Definitely the most clever story in a game I've played from 2017 (I've yet to play Nier Automata and some others, so we'll see if it continues to be), and while it's good as a parody of dating sims/VNs, it's also a good one in and of itself, and really makes you feel for its characters. In some ways, it reminds me MLP, if MLP was really depressing. Also Undertale, very reminiscent of Undertale. :p It also makes me want to get into more VNs (the only VNs I've played are DDLC, most Ace Attorney games and To the Moon), though I'm not sure where to start.

I also got the "best" ending. I'm glad I did, not only was the ending, for as minor of a change as it was, much more heartwarming, doing all the scenarios in the game really made me empathise more with characters that I'd neglected the first time round. That along with watching Let's Players' reactions and browsing the memes has given me enough closure to let the game go, I think. I'm always gonna be a fan of it though. For a game with just one writer and composer, it's an amazing experience. I'd love to recommend it to everyone, but sadly I know it'll have too negative an effect on some. Still, incredible game. :)

Sayori is best girl. (but I love them all though)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:21:08 PM by Luigi »

February 06, 2018, 03:51:39 PM
Reply #456
FFTA2DSI

it looks good

Snowy Flanks
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

February 08, 2018, 01:51:51 AM
Reply #457
OneShot has gone over my radar, it seems, I have to play it eventually. Especially since I managed to toughen up and finish Doki Doki Literature Club, and much like Undertale, it has left a deep impression on me, far more than I could ever imagine. So I am looking for more unique and memorable experiences like those games.

I've been playing Subnautica recently, now that it's finally out. In a mixed blessing, my favorite FF game, Final Fantasy XII, is out on Steam, but it's absurdly high-priced and with really high requirements for a PS2 game. Has anyone gotten their hands on that game and knows if the requirements are as intense as they seem?

OneShot is definitely among those games that tend to leave deep impressions, although it certainly didn't have the budget or time put into it that Undertale did. Or talent either, to be honest. Toby Fox is a legend.

Anyways, I really love games that don't just break the 4th wall, but do really creative things with it. That's why I like these three games so much, I think. Undertale used the elements of the 4th wall as part of its own universe. Doki Doki Literature Club was its own 4th wall hiding something deeper, then broke itself entirely to reach out through it. And OneShot places the 4th wall behind the player from the start, having them play as their real-life self, in a way that somehow makes the game much more immersive.

Of the three games, OneShot actually created the most anxiety for me, which was amazing. By connecting with the main character directly instead of just projecting myself onto them, I started to feel a kind of connection to them, with a responsibility to guide them carefully. I lost sleep worrying about it since I couldn't finish the whole game in one day. Hell, I felt guilt just for closing the game. And then I did the Solstice stuff, and WOW.

I've never felt more connected to and immersed by a game than OneShot. Undertale comes close, but OneShot did that better, for me.

I just beat DDLC myself. Even though I took the warnings seriously, I was still pretty shook, and even depressed for a few days. I even have a friend who couldn't complete it, and multiple to refuse to play it because they don't want to get scared or depressed. Having gotten through it, I can't say I blame them.

I can't say I regretted playing it though, I loved it. Definitely the most clever story in a game I've played from 2017 (I've yet to play Nier Automata and some others, so we'll see if it continues to be), and while it's good as a parody of dating sims/VNs, it's also a good one in and of itself, and really makes you feel for its characters. In some ways, it reminds me MLP, if MLP was really depressing. Also Undertale, very reminiscent of Undertale. :p It also makes me want to get into more VNs (the only VNs I've played are DDLC, most Ace Attorney games and To the Moon), though I'm not sure where to start.

I also got the "best" ending. I'm glad I did, not only was the ending, for as minor of a change as it was, much more heartwarming, doing all the scenarios in the game really made me empathise more with characters that I'd neglected the first time round. That along with watching Let's Players' reactions and browsing the memes has given me enough closure to let the game go, I think. I'm always gonna be a fan of it though. For a game with just one writer and composer, it's an amazing experience. I'd love to recommend it to everyone, but sadly I know it'll have too negative an effect on some. Still, incredible game. :)

Sayori is best girl. (but I love them all though)

Yeah, I saw you play it the other day. I was tempted to change my name and avatar to Monika and mess with you, but I decided not to, since I didn't know how far into the game you were, and I didn't want to give anything away, haha. Anyways, have you looked up all the hidden ARG stuff yet? There is so much hidden in DDLC, it's unreal.

If you liked both DDLC and Undertale, OneShot is kindof in the same vein of 4th wall stuff, as I said above replying to Stranger. I recommend it.

And who is Sayori? I think you meant to say Just Monika.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:00:40 AM by Queen Chrysalis »

February 09, 2018, 06:57:20 AM
Reply #458
I'd really like to play some of Paradox's grand strategy games like Hearts of Iron IV and Europa Universalis IV, but dear lord they look complicated. I was watching a tutorial series on HoI4, and I kept having to roll it back because I'd catch myself having lost focus and not learned anything. This is like when I took psychopharmacology >_>
See the bunny bees and puffs of steam from singing kettles in the trees. Bread and butterflies with fork and knives who like to make a meal of time.
Life is clockwork quick - lightning slow. Faster on your toes, so eat your sugared dream and taste the day before it runs away.

February 09, 2018, 08:19:56 AM
Reply #459

This game is so wholesome I might just get diabetes.
But seriously though, it's really fun. :lol:
nietzsche was a hack

February 09, 2018, 03:49:19 PM
Reply #460
Okami HD.
Weirdly enough my achievement list is in what I can only assume is Japanese. :monster:
Avatar pic provided by bumbrwby12 on twitter.
Sign Image provided by Andrew's Miitopia playthrough.

February 09, 2018, 04:00:06 PM
Reply #461

My man.

Okami HD.
Weirdly enough my achievement list is in what I can only assume is Japanese. :monster:

I am giddier than I'd like to admit to know someone else is playing it here.

How do you find it so far?

February 09, 2018, 06:25:59 PM
Reply #462
Yeah, I saw you play it the other day. I was tempted to change my name and avatar to Monika and mess with you, but I decided not to, since I didn't know how far into the game you were, and I didn't want to give anything away, haha. Anyways, have you looked up all the hidden ARG stuff yet? There is so much hidden in DDLC, it's unreal.

If you liked both DDLC and Undertale, OneShot is kindof in the same vein of 4th wall stuff, as I said above replying to Stranger. I recommend it.

Yeah, I've looked into all the Easter Eggs. It's amazing how hidden some of this stuff is. It's like all the Gaster stuff in Undertale taken up to 11. I hope it's leading up to a sequel or something.  :-X

I love this kind of fourth wall stuff, I'm not sure I've seen any other game use it as creatively as DDLC did. I'll have to check out OneShot then. Hopefully it's less disturbing, lol.

y̵ e̵ ̵s ̵,̢ ̧I d o͝ n͟ ҉' t ͡ k ̨n͟ ò w ̛ ͡ẁ h̕ ̷o͝ ̷ ͘ I ̡ ̛w a s͟ ͞ ͠ ͠t ̢a l k ̕i̵ n ̵g͡ ̴ ̶a͡ ͜b͝ o͝ ̀ư ́t ͝.͡ ͟ ́ ̕j u͡ s̸ ̸t ͝ ̨ m̸ o n̶ i͡ ̧ḱ ̵a .͘

I'm an Okami fan too. ;)

The Sun Rises and Reset are the best video game songs ever, just sayin.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:43:41 PM by Luigi »

February 10, 2018, 04:12:04 AM
Reply #463
Yeah, I've looked into all the Easter Eggs. It's amazing how hidden some of this stuff is. It's like all the Gaster stuff in Undertale taken up to 11. I hope it's leading up to a sequel or something.  :-X

I love this kind of fourth wall stuff, I'm not sure I've seen any other game use it as creatively as DDLC did. I'll have to check out OneShot then. Hopefully it's less disturbing, lol.

y̵ e̵ ̵s ̵,̢ ̧I d o͝ n͟ ҉' t ͡ k ̨n͟ ò w ̛ ͡ẁ h̕ ̷o͝ ̷ ͘ I ̡ ̛w a s͟ ͞ ͠ ͠t ̢a l k ̕i̵ n ̵g͡ ̴ ̶a͡ ͜b͝ o͝ ̀ư ́t ͝.͡ ͟ ́ ̕j u͡ s̸ ̸t ͝ ̨ m̸ o n̶ i͡ ̧ḱ ̵a .͘

I honestly think DDLC is just an ARG meant to advertise Dan Salvato's next game, which hopefully will feature more 4th-wall stuff. But if not, I'll still check it out I guess.

OneShot isn't a horror game, so you don't have to worry. It should cause a good bit of anxiety though.

February 10, 2018, 04:37:11 AM
Reply #464
My man.

Pretty cool! Haven't got too far but I know how most of the story plays out.

February 10, 2018, 07:12:22 AM
Reply #465
I honestly think DDLC is just an ARG meant to advertise Dan Salvato's next game, which hopefully will feature more 4th-wall stuff. But if not, I'll still check it out I guess.

OneShot isn't a horror game, so you don't have to worry. It should cause a good bit of anxiety though.

It seems so, with the references to 2018 and the Book of Markov and all that. With how much DDLC resonated with people and went viral, I wonder if his next game will be able to live up to DDLC's hype. I certainly hope so, but who knows. I'm definitely very interested to see what he does next.

I am thinking it may have less of the meta stuff than DDLC though. Mainly based on this segment from Dan's AMA on reddit, where he talks about his next visual novel, and seemingly thinks it may not be as popular:
"My next visual novel, while it will contain some cool elements, will be more of a traditional story, one that doesn't have the kinds of gimmicks that helped DDLC capture a wider audience. That's fine, it's just what I want to make. And if people get something out of it, that's enough for me to be happy and feel that it was worth making."
That could be cool all the same though I think, the meta narrative wasn't the only strong point of DDLC's writing, after all.

Funnily enough, I did know about Dan Salvato before DDLC. I recognised him from the Smash Bros community, and for a well-known super hard Mario Maker level. And for making FrankerFaceZ. I certainly wouldn't have expected him to move onto something like this, lol.

Not a horror game but should cause a bit of anxiety... not sure how to interpret this. :P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:20:09 AM by Luigi »

February 11, 2018, 12:02:32 PM
Reply #466
It seems so, with the references to 2018 and the Book of Markov and all that. With how much DDLC resonated with people and went viral, I wonder if his next game will be able to live up to DDLC's hype. I certainly hope so, but who knows. I'm definitely very interested to see what he does next.

I am thinking it may have less of the meta stuff than DDLC though. Mainly based on this segment from Dan's AMA on reddit, where he talks about his next visual novel, and seemingly thinks it may not be as popular:
"My next visual novel, while it will contain some cool elements, will be more of a traditional story, one that doesn't have the kinds of gimmicks that helped DDLC capture a wider audience. That's fine, it's just what I want to make. And if people get something out of it, that's enough for me to be happy and feel that it was worth making."
That could be cool all the same though I think, the meta narrative wasn't the only strong point of DDLC's writing, after all.

Funnily enough, I did know about Dan Salvato before DDLC. I recognised him from the Smash Bros community, and for a well-known super hard Mario Maker level. And for making FrankerFaceZ. I certainly wouldn't have expected him to move onto something like this, lol.

Not a horror game but should cause a bit of anxiety... not sure how to interpret this. :P

Dan Salvato also holds multiple world record speedrun times for Yoshi's Story.

And yeah. You'll see once you play it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:04:14 PM by Queen Chrysalis »

February 12, 2018, 05:15:44 AM
Reply #467
I've been playing Onimusha 3 lately. A criminally underappreciated game from the mid PS2 era, starring Jean Reno (The Professional). Simply fun, with a story that has its serious moments, but also knows when to laugh at itself every now and then (kinda like Army of Darkness), and deceptively deep with it's combat system, emphasizing how utterly destructive and rewarding Issen is when you manage to pull it off.

And, it has quite a bit of content for a linear, action/horror adventure, with a whole other side story to play through after you clear the game once, and three other minigames unlocked after certain requirements. Bonus costumes and secret stages make a return, as well as extra difficulties and modes.

It's not the most complex or difficult game ever made, but it gives me a stark reminder that games can also be fun... even games that originally start out in the series via an absurd concept (samurai Resident Evil with demons)
PLEASE check out my fanfic Elements Change the Dark Hearts and give me feedback. I need any and ALL criticisms!

February 12, 2018, 05:32:05 AM
Reply #468
DB FighterZ is pretty... Uh pretty good. Finally, a grappler character I'm actually halfway decent at, as Android 16.

Just gotta figure out how to land is Instant Kill...

I've been playing Onimusha 3 lately.

I've actually been meaning to replay that series some day. Dawn of Dreams was always my favorite though.

... Also Blade Warriors, the fighting game-esque one was like 20% of my Play Station playtime.

February 12, 2018, 01:42:40 PM
Reply #469
Just been hunting some monsters with my mates on Monster Hunter World. God is this game just great fun, although it can turn into a grind fest sometimes, which sucks, but eh. 90% of games I play have some kind of grind to go with them so it isn't too bad. The ridiculous weapons are great too, never knew how much I wanted a cannon to be attached to a spear until now.
"The answer, always, is the Wolves of Fenris, because they are clinically insane."
-Lunar Wolves Captain Torgaddon on the subject of the toughest Space Marine Legion.

"Bribery and threats are always popular, but generally avoided, especially if you're likely to attract inquisitorial attention as they're better at both and tend to resent other people resorting to their methods."
-Commissar Ciaphas Cain on winning over Tribunals.

I've been brainwashed so many times there is nothing left in here but soap suds

February 12, 2018, 05:27:08 PM
Reply #470
Just been hunting some monsters with my mates on Monster Hunter World. God is this game just great fun, although it can turn into a grind fest sometimes, which sucks, but eh. 90% of games I play have some kind of grind to go with them so it isn't too bad. The ridiculous weapons are great too, never knew how much I wanted a cannon to be attached to a spear until now.

Been dying to play that game, so much I'm pretty much decided I have to get a PS4 this year. I know it's coming up on PC later this year, but who knows what kind of optimization it will have, and if my PC can handle it.

I'm an Okami fan too. ;)

The Sun Rises and Reset are the best video game songs ever, just sayin.

Damn straight, I never though a wrap-up of the entire game could be done so beautifully with those two songs. I had watched the final battle segment long ago, but it was not until I played the entire game by myself that I could learn how powerful it was.

I've decided to play the Arkham series again. Replayed Asylum and currently replaying City, and I'm gonna try clearing Origins, which has been sitting unfinished in my library for quite a while.

Then there's arkham knight, but despite the accessible price it looks like it won't be a very smooth experience. I'd still really like to finish it though, the whole series is great.

February 16, 2018, 11:59:27 PM
Reply #471
Just finished playing Bloodborne for the day... coming down from the biggest high after I actually managed to kill Laurence, The First Vicar on NG+2 (also known as the hardest, most unfair boss in The Old Hunters DLC). Dying thirty or so times, and nearly dying a hundred more, along with half a thousand scythe swings and an entire armory of arrows finally netted me the win.

February 18, 2018, 10:21:54 AM
Reply #472
Just finished playing Bloodborne for the day... coming down from the biggest high after I actually managed to kill Laurence, The First Vicar on NG+2 (also known as the hardest, most unfair boss in The Old Hunters DLC). Dying thirty or so times, and nearly dying a hundred more, along with half a thousand scythe swings and an entire armory of arrows finally netted me the win.

Laurance? I thought that honor belonged to the Orphan of Kos.

February 18, 2018, 07:45:47 PM
Reply #473
Laurance? I thought that honor belonged to the Orphan of Kos.

Oh, no no no no... The Orphan is a fair fight, and alot of his moves are parryable. His second form is erratic, but can still be managed if you know what you're doing...

Laurence, despite having most of the same moves as the Cleric Beast, hits twice due to the fire after-attack, does boat-loads of damage normally, and his second form pretty much makes it nigh-impossible to stay close due to the lava and the constant AoE fire attacks as he claws around the arena. Once again, though, if you get hit by the physical attack, you tend to get hit by the fire directly after, nullifying any rally you might be able to try to attain then.

And while his first form can be learned after a while and aced, it's his second form that kinda breaks it. The only real method I've found to fighting him solo in his second form is by pulling out any high damaging projectile weapons you may have (either arcane tools, a beefy gun, or Simon's Bowblade), and keep your distance, sticking as close to the edges of the arena, and lead him around in circles as you keep firing.