Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 6x16 - The Times They Are a Changeling  (Read 2276 times)

August 23, 2016, 09:44:35 AM
Reply #25
Could you do a side by side picture? I saw no different at all in Thorax's design.

At first glance they're not very different at all. But look at particular parts of their design such as their back (Thorax's is a dark green, the changeling from Slice of Life's is blue), their ears, and their tails.

August 24, 2016, 10:31:54 AM
Reply #26

At first glance they're not very different at all. But look at particular parts of their design such as their back (Thorax's is a dark green, the changeling from Slice of Life's is blue), their ears, and their tails.

I see their backshells are a different color, but why the minor changes that are hard to even notice unless we do a side by side? Seems like somebody didn't even bother with a new design and decided to just "slightly" change a already made design. Suppose there's a reason, but like the ending it seems lazy. Maybe when we see more Changelings the difference will be easier to spot, otherwise we'll get so confused on who is who we'll have to do a pause and a "where's Thorax" game. XD

So there are male and female Changelings? Unless Kevin is a male too, if the Changelings are insert based then they should follow the nature of "there can only be one girl and she's the queen" why else would she look so different? Eh, maybe later. We were all complaining about how rushed Starlights' backstory was but then we got the S6 opener and all issues were gone.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:03:00 PM by Speedy »

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

August 24, 2016, 01:00:15 PM
Reply #27
So there are male and female Changelings? Unless Kevin is a male too, if the Changelings are insert based then they should follow the nature of "there can only be one girl and she's the queen" why else would she look so different?

There is actual biological backing for one (Or occasionally more then one) female queen in a colony of ants and/or bees and many, many, many Male drones, workers, and/or soldiers.

Eh, maybe later. We were all complaining about how rushed Starlights' backstory was butt hen we got the S6 opener and all issues were gone.

I don't know about that. I think there's still some questions that still need to be answered. Like how did Starlight really learn how to do the magic she can do? We know Twilight's story. But in the case of Starlight it's at most kept quite vague. I think we still need to know more about Starlight's history. At the very least knowing how she got her Cutie Mark would be something wouldn't it? Especially given how she had a grudge against cutie marks for so long.

August 24, 2016, 03:09:02 PM
Reply #28
There is actual biological backing for one (Or occasionally more then one) female queen in a colony of ants and/or bees and many, many, many Male drones, workers, and/or soldiers.

I don't know about that. I think there's still some questions that still need to be answered. Like how did Starlight really learn how to do the magic she can do? We know Twilight's story. But in the case of Starlight it's at most kept quite vague. I think we still need to know more about Starlight's history. At the very least knowing how she got her Cutie Mark would be something wouldn't it? Especially given how she had a grudge against cutie marks for so long.

I suppose but I meant the S6  opener gave more in terms of "why" she went evil. There are still unanswered questions like Sunburst being a former Celestia student---BAD IDEA in my books as it just added to "how important he is because she taught him" and it made Twi looked less important compared as now we got the question "how many students were there before Twi?" if EG is canon then that means Celestia not only had 2, but 3 students within the span of 10 years at most.

Sorry Twilight, you are not as special as we all thought, you're just the one out of 1000s that finally accepted friendship and all. Its like God going through 500 kids before he got Jesus, kinda hurts how important they are if there's been more than many failed attempts before!

Btw, when Starlight stole CMs----couldn't Discord sense that? Also looking at the side by side pic again, Thorax is a lighter shade while the other is more blackest.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:09:59 PM by Speedy »

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

August 24, 2016, 03:39:30 PM
Reply #29
I suppose but I meant the S6  opener gave more in terms of "why" she went evil. There are still unanswered questions like Sunburst being a former Celestia student---BAD IDEA in my books as it just added to "how important he is because she taught him" and it made Twi looked less important compared as now we got the question "how many students were there before Twi?" if EG is canon then that means Celestia not only had 2, but 3 students within the span of 10 years at most.

Sorry Twilight, you are not as special as we all thought, you're just the one out of 1000s that finally accepted friendship and all. Its like God going through 500 kids before he got Jesus, kinda hurts how important they are if there's been more than many failed attempts before!

There's a difference between personal apprentice/protégé and student. Yes, Sunburst attended the school that Twilight went to. But guess what: So did ponies like Moondancer, Minuette, and the rest of Twilight's old friends we saw in Amending Fences. They were all at the School of Gifted Unicorns. But none of them were being personally taught magic/guided by Celestia herself, or at least not even close to as often as Twilight was.

August 24, 2016, 04:49:49 PM
Reply #30
I like Kevin, he makes good fanfiction

Snowy Flanks

August 24, 2016, 08:34:09 PM
Reply #31
There's a difference between personal apprentice/protégé and student. Yes, Sunburst attended the school that Twilight went to. But guess what: So did ponies like Moondancer, Minuette, and the rest of Twilight's old friends we saw in Amending Fences. They were all at the School of Gifted Unicorns. But none of them were being personally taught magic/guided by Celestia herself, or at least not even close to as often as Twilight was.

....................CELESTIA SAID HE WAS "HER" STUDENT! How did you forget that! XD She 100% said "a former student of 'mine'" she said it herself, not me! Sunburst was her student, "not just a student at her school" but HER student! You can't work around what's right there and confirmed by the princess herself saying it! XD

Unless Celestia calls every last student "her student" then no, she shouldn't even say that if it is the case.

P.S, I was just told all the Crystal Guards are in fact---not Crystal Ponies. Their all winged, and have normal looking eyes. So, did Sombra kill every last guard and Celestia had to share her units?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:35:32 PM by Speedy »

August 24, 2016, 09:39:18 PM
Reply #32
....................CELESTIA SAID HE WAS "HER" STUDENT! How did you forget that! XD She 100% said "a former student of 'mine'" she said it herself, not me! Sunburst was her student, "not just a student at her school" but HER student! You can't work around what's right there and confirmed by the princess herself saying it! XD

Unless Celestia calls every last student "her student" then no, she shouldn't even say that if it is the case.

The School for Gifted Unicorns is Celestia's though, they say "Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns". She's practically a headmistress. By all accounts every student that attended would count as her student. It does not necessarily mean Sunburst was once in Twilight's place. I think we would of been told more about that if that were the case. If there's ever any actual backstory on that that proves Sunbust was also in such a position then we can clearly say that. But we don't exactly know the timeline of events. It's possible Sunburst enrolled when Twilight was already made Celestia's protégé and thus would of been unlikely for Sunburst to be in that role

Again, there is a difference between a student and a protégé. You can have more then one student, not usually so for protégés. And when Celestia was putting Twilight under her wing she explicitly said personal protégé. So I think it's still fair to say Twilight got a more unique experience compared to most others at the school

August 25, 2016, 01:21:33 PM
Reply #33
The School for Gifted Unicorns is Celestia's though, they say "Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns". She's practically a headmistress. By all accounts every student that attended would count as her student. It does not necessarily mean Sunburst was once in Twilight's place. I think we would of been told more about that if that were the case. If there's ever any actual backstory on that that proves Sunbust was also in such a position then we can clearly say that. But we don't exactly know the timeline of events. It's possible Sunburst enrolled when Twilight was already made Celestia's protégé and thus would of been unlikely for Sunburst to be in that role

Again, there is a difference between a student and a protégé. You can have more then one student, not usually so for protégés. And when Celestia was putting Twilight under her wing she explicitly said personal protégé. So I think it's still fair to say Twilight got a more unique experience compared to most others at the school

Well clearly we're on different sides of the road here, she said "a former student of mine" why wouldn't she had said a former student at her school? Why would she say "former and mine" the way she says it points more towards Sunburst was in Twi's place once. But I suppose you can take from it what you will.

This is just like the debate on EG's canon, most people (not just me) took what Celestia said and the way she said it as meaning Sunburst "was her's and not the school's" student. I doubt the show will go into this unless we get a Sunburst flashback, I don't like the idea that Celestia had at most 2 students before Twi in such a short time span but until we do get more on Sunburst's past fighting over this will just lead nowhere.

August 25, 2016, 04:54:16 PM
Reply #34
She actually said old student of mine in the opener but I suppose either way we're kinda arguing over really vague wording/details. I still think that it was in reference to being a student at the school. As I don't see what's wrong with calling ponies a former student of there's if they are effectively a principal there.

But yeah it's pretty trivial and I doubt we'd get a clear answer on this from the show. It's too specific of a thing. And there's more important things to show.

August 25, 2016, 05:49:04 PM
Reply #35
She actually said old student of mine in the opener but I suppose either way we're kinda arguing over really vague wording/details. I still think that it was in reference to being a student at the school. As I don't see what's wrong with calling ponies a former student of there's if they are effectively a principal there.

But yeah it's pretty trivial and I doubt we'd get a clear answer on this from the show. It's too specific of a thing. And there's more important things to show.

Let me just ask this---her being a principal is from EG, what is there in show to suggest she's a principal and not the funder/overseer? Yeah Twilight went there (which is weird, why would the princess' personal student attend school? Basics, friendship?) which might be the only clue usable for your theory. Ashamed the show doesn't show enough of Celestia, S1 was overrun by her but after that we've been seeing her less and less.

And yeah it is reffered to as "her" school but that doesn't mean she works there on a daily basis like the teachers do. Maybe if we ever get a Celestia Ep. >_>

September 02, 2016, 07:22:56 AM
Reply #36
I was pleasantly surprised to see this was a Spike episode. Thorax was also very cute. I especially enjoyed the part where Spike messed up and didn't stand up and say the truth about him being friends with Thorax. It's very, very easy to say what the right thing to do is, but when you're in a situation like that it is incredibly difficult to face your fears and the judgement of others and actually speak up. This is partly why I like Spike so much. He has a few character flaws- selfishness, conceitedness, jealously, insecurity, etc. and they are all things that hold him back at important times but that he generally will notice in himself and combat. I liked that Twilight emphasized that Spike was brave due to what he had done, recalling that infamous Dumbledore line- it takes courage to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. Spike owns his mistakes.

The song was also very sweet and very Spike.

Yes, the ending was a little easy and I imagine realistically ponies would be mistrustful of Thorax despite Spike's approval of him and be especially reluctant to shove their babies in his face, but I think being a cartoon with a limited time frame it did the best it could. I would very much enjoy a follow up episode where Spike returns to the Crystal Empire and finds out Thorax is still dealing with some prejudice and how while people's perceptions can change it can sometimes take a while but that doesn't mean you should stop trying to convince people of your worth.

September 23, 2016, 12:09:35 PM
Reply #37
Thorax is best changeling.

Actually I kind of enjoyed seeing a bit of the changeling life cycle. It kind of stands to reason that some would be born with a desire for love and compassion from others, rather than to feed off of it. I think Spike was probably the perfect choice for this episodes protagonist. He is an outsider for the most part among ponies. But his life among them has given him a rather unique perspective of the ponies. Spike has a good heart, and is still a stand up person. At first when Thorax accidently revealed himself in front of everyone, Spike didn't stand up for him. But in the end he did the right thing and stood up for Thorax. Spike " IS " the hero of the Crystal Empire after all, and his words carried weight.

October 04, 2016, 01:33:00 AM
Reply #38
Just gonna say, I love that the show is still going with the "not everything is black and white" thing.
[spoiler]
Red for the bloodshed and struggle for freedom.
Blue for the Indian Ocean, in the middle of which Mauritius is situated.
Yellow for the new light of independence shining over the island.
Green for its lush vegetation and its colour throughout the year.

May 02, 2017, 01:18:46 PM
Reply #39
Thorax reminds me of Bartleby from the Bone comics.
Isn't he adorable when he waddles off in anger? :rrwub                                                                               :oostare