Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 6x13 - Stranger Than Fan Fiction  (Read 1192 times)

July 13, 2016, 12:33:11 AM
Scheduled to air 30 July 2016

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

July 30, 2016, 11:00:21 AM
Reply #1
I love an annoying character that you are supposed to find annoyinh fun to watch them see the real world. A good episode

Snowy Flanks

July 30, 2016, 11:16:46 AM
Reply #2
Patton Oswalt was amazing and hilarious, I truly enjoyed this episode a lot. It had a couple moments that were kind of cringe worthy, but the whole story was quite fun.
I also got a kick out of seeing a pony convention, in the pony universe haha.

It is always nice to watch an episode and be reminded why you are a part of this fandom.

July 30, 2016, 11:29:57 AM
Reply #3
That was a great guest star for Patton in FiM.

July 30, 2016, 12:12:12 PM
Reply #4
This was another one of the messages to the fandom, I guess those that prefer the earlier seasons. Fans shouldn't fight with each other.

Even though I still prefer if Daring Do was fictionally in the MLP version, I thought making Daring Do and her whole world real cheapens her debut episode and I stand by that to this day and I don't care what anyone says.

It was still an enjoyable, it reminds me of action comedy movies from the 80's and 90's, but the voice actor Patton Oswalt who is Wallace Shawn non biological son, they sound so much alike, he nails this character and makes it feel like one those skeptic characters from action comedy movies like Honey I Shrunk The Kids.

I like this episode, I hope one day it turns out the real life Daring Do is a great acting job and doesn't exist. I was hoping that is was the set up here, that would have been great.

Great to have the show back.

July 30, 2016, 12:41:04 PM
Reply #5
I had concerns for this episode based on the synopsis that Patton's character would literally be someone walking into the convention that doesn't like Daring Do at all. But I guess it wasn't specific enough and instead Quibble IS a fan, it's just he's like one of those fans that have a vast preferences for first generations, first few seasons, first film, etc. It is a good lesson for sure that the differing opinions are based on what they like most about the series. And as long as there's some respectability between opinions on a series they still like overall then there's room to get along.

Like every other Daring Do episode before this it's pretty deliciously meta especially with the convention. (They even had Daki pillows lol). It's certainly quite enjoyable from a fan perspective.

Even had the extra length of fun of allowing Quibble to have dialouge over the credits. That's pretty priceless haha.

July 30, 2016, 12:44:01 PM
Reply #6
Those Daring Do body pillows and the bondage one. :-X

Also there's that drink vendor who is perpetually annoyed. I bet that's how it is with all the vendors at cons. It was cute though how she started smiling when Dash and Quibble started arguing.

Still, I wish the Daring Do books were fiction instead of real. It's always struck me odd that there are South American jungles within a stone's throw of ponyland. I must admit that I agree with Quibble on multiple points.

Patton Oswalt did a fantastic job, obviously. He was perfect for that character, nerdy and unsatisfied hehe.
See the bunny bees and puffs of steam from singing kettles in the trees. Bread and butterflies with fork and knives who like to make a meal of time.
Life is clockwork quick - lightning slow. Faster on your toes, so eat your sugared dream and taste the day before it runs away.

July 30, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
Reply #7
Well this episode if Patton Oswalt is suppose to represent the critics, they treat them with a lot more respect for those fans than Teen Titans Go.

July 30, 2016, 01:32:44 PM
Reply #8
I've not seen the episode yet but I just have to say, oh God, Patton frickin' Oswalt...

::)

Matched only by Simon frickin' Pegg in the "I normally refuse to watch anything they're in because I've had it up to here with their BS and their self-serving hypocrisy" stakes, but I will make an exception for MLP!

July 30, 2016, 08:13:06 PM
Reply #9
I liked this Ep, but who else wanted to punch the new gu who I'm sure will be shipped with both mares, RD more tho? Ugh. XD He would hate Harry Potter and Starwars, well he didn't hate the books he just disliked the entire series after 3.

P.S is it just me or was Daring's fur different? I swear it is..still a very good Ep and I BADLY want to visit that con! Wait one of Daring's villains is aware of the books..? I he the only 1?  :-\

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

July 30, 2016, 09:11:09 PM
Reply #10
I thought it was pretty good.
I post both cute pictures

awesome banner made by Salnalus
Check out my changeling fic http://www.fimfiction.net/story/331602/imprisonment-of-a-changeling

July 30, 2016, 10:07:07 PM
Reply #11
Btw who else thought this new guy was Daring's father? I mean that's what I got from the trailer! I gotta wonder, what "is" his fur/mane color? Also when Daring striped her robe and hat. >_> I've been playing Skyrim far too much... :-X

But yeah thought he was her dad in the trailer, a father who didn't want or think his daughter could follow in his steps but is very surprised when he sees she is more than skilled.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

July 31, 2016, 01:04:59 AM
Reply #12
Welp, OMG was this episode accurate to fan culture :-X

Seriously, that moral at the end might as well be aimed at geek culture right now.

TOO MANY FLUTTERSHYING CONS

July 31, 2016, 07:38:47 AM
Reply #13
I liked this episode though I could see a pretty obvious resolution.  All Dash had to say was "dude, I do that sort of stuff in real life all the time.  It's totally realistic".  Also I was a little surprised Quibble Pants didn't recognise RD from that time she was on the cover of one of the books but he either hasn't seen it cause he doesn't like the new books or he just assumed she was cosplaying. :P

That face when RD wing hugs Daring Do. :D

A nice lesson at the end as well.

So yeah this was a good return to the series.  I wonder if that Friendship Summit in Griffonstone will come up at any point?  Is Gilda Queen now?

...Thus Equestria Girls is canon, so...

"We are thinking on the basest of planes. What we need, are more eyes."
- Master Willem

July 31, 2016, 01:33:13 PM
Reply #14
Welp, OMG was this episode accurate to fan culture :-X

Seriously, that moral at the end might as well be aimed at geek culture right now.

Did anybody noticed the Alicorn's horn was blue, just like their helment? That to me points at this pony "not" being a Alicorn, the horn is just part of the very Nightmare Moonish helment. I mean if it wasn't fake why isn't it red like the fur?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 01:33:50 PM by Speedy »

July 31, 2016, 03:08:42 PM
Reply #15
Loved it. Loved the season 5 call backs, calling out of every adventure movie cliche, and the fact RD was actually the responsible one. Plus the division in fandom was actually an interesting touch.

July 31, 2016, 04:12:28 PM
Reply #16
This was a pretty fun episode. :D  I quite enjoyed it, and I also liked how they basically made Quibble Pants look like Patton Oswalt.

I also rather liked the way in which this episode clearly was not even slightly attempting to say anything to the brony fandom why would you say that. :monster:

July 31, 2016, 05:27:18 PM
Reply #17
One thing that occurred to me:How did Dash know where Yearling was staying?

The VIPs stay in hotels that are seperate from the con itself, and only a few know where.  Both for safety and privacy reasons.

Though the desk clerk clamming up was realistic.  Even if she wasn't a celeberty, telling someone other than police or others on the reservation which room someone was staying in is a quick way to get fired.

If you want to follow me on Fimfiction, you can go to my account page here.

August 01, 2016, 05:38:52 PM
Reply #18
Wait a minute, she found the key she uses later in the opening book? So did that book end on a cliff hanger or did she allow RD to read the book she's currently writing?

August 03, 2016, 07:34:56 PM
Reply #19
Say during the scene where RD and the villains walk pass each other without noticing, we see 3 (well 2) book covers. Is it just me or does Daring (has Scootaloo's orange?) Do's leg---it looks like she's a humanoid lizard with a long tail that has her fur color. Can anyone please get a close up of that so I can see what its suppose to look like other than a Daring/Spike fusion?  ???

December 13, 2016, 03:45:00 PM
Reply #20
Critic Pony is best pony.

I love that this didn't go the route of Quibble being wrong because he's unhappy with the product, and his obsession with detail helped them bloody live.  Little annoyed that the show didn't call out Dash for being the opposite side of the obsession coin, the kind of fan who's ready to adore the next book before she reads it and has to silence anyone who has a complaint or convince the world not to listen to anyone who has a complaint, buuuuuuuuuuut being a critical fanboy who came into this expecting to strawmanned, I'll take what I can get.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:55:15 PM by Toph Beifong »