Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 6x10 - Applejack's "Day" Off  (Read 3745 times)

April 14, 2016, 10:16:27 AM
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic : Applejack's ``Day'' Off

S06, E10 (First Aired: May 28, 2016)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:02:17 AM by The Derpy One »

May 25, 2016, 07:47:36 PM
Reply #1
We haven't bumped this, but this episode is next and it will be about Rarity trying to get AJ to enjoy herself at a spa while Twilight and Spike take over for Applejack on the farm. Twilight and Spike finding it to be harder then they thought.

Sounds like a pretty straightforward episode. I do have the tiny bit worry that given the last time Spike was involved with helping Applejack at the farm the result was Spike at your Service. But otherwise it sounds like it could at least be a decent episode.

May 26, 2016, 05:00:09 PM
Reply #2
Teaser trailer:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCCHSKmloyY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCCHSKmloyY</a>
You made this day a special day just by being yourself

Check me out on FIM Fiction!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

May 26, 2016, 05:27:45 PM
Reply #3
So what are the chances the cannon context behind AJ's animaling around isn't a fraction as good as what we build up in our minds?

May 27, 2016, 02:01:57 AM
Reply #4
So what are the chances the cannon context behind AJ's animaling around isn't a fraction as good as what we build up in our minds?

I say high.  The writers have some restrictions in place on what they can and can not do.  Our minds don't have the same restrictions.

If you want to follow me on Fimfiction, you can go to my account page here.

May 28, 2016, 10:42:10 AM
Reply #5
1. Since when do Rarity and Applejack have spa days?

2. If Rainbow Dash is okay with hanging around in the spa waiting room together with practically all of Ponyville, then why is it a problem for her that Rarity and Applejack in particular see her there?

No comment on the SaYS repeat brewing on the farm.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:43:27 AM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

May 28, 2016, 10:45:17 AM
Reply #6
I wasn't that excited for the last episode but it ended up surprising me so I'm curious how this one will go.

...Thus Equestria Girls is canon, so...

"We are thinking on the basest of planes. What we need, are more eyes."
- Master Willem

May 28, 2016, 11:02:50 AM
Reply #7
Okay, didn't like this one.

I suppose the moral they were shooting for was okay, but when it comes at the expense of Applejack being a complete moron about her own profession simply to appease the plot gods, then I can't get behind it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:04:25 AM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

May 28, 2016, 11:21:12 AM
Reply #8
This episode was just... boring for me. Not alot that really entertained. It was kinda like a combination between Look Before You Sleep, Apple Family Reunion, and maybe a little bit of Spike at your Service.

...That's not really a good combination for me given what I've said about those episodes.

I'm even debating if I liked No Second Prances more despite the issues I had with that episode. Because at least that episode had some really funny moments to laugh about and such.

May 28, 2016, 04:56:39 PM
Reply #9
This one was okay, though we have seen Applejack a workaholic how many times? It is getting old, but it was entertaining, especially since I love Rarity and Applejack playing off each other, they are just one of those duos that just click.

I was surprised we didn't get much focus on Twilight and Spike's plot, I thought it would be more about Twilight trying to get the farm in check while Applejack kept wanting to check in, if this world had cellphones, you know Applejack would just call in every minute.

Rainbow Dash she stole the show in my opinion, though I didn't what they were doing with her character, it was still funny. Though I think after embracing reading, Rainbow Dash being self worried of  such things like this seems to derail her character development, though I am glad she learned at the end, at least I hope she did, just because you are tough, doesn't mean you can't embrace other parts of your personality.

May 28, 2016, 05:08:29 PM
Reply #10
This was a nice Ep, nothing grand but still enjoyable. Nice to see more of the spa (was the pink twin Russian? Also good lord Bulk are you trying to break his back!?), let me just ask 1 question. Who else was reminded of Spike At Your Service when he held that list?  :o

I suppose the moral they were shooting for was okay, but when it comes at the expense of Applejack being a complete moron about her own profession simply to appease the plot gods, then I can't get behind it.

Have you see Somepony To Watch Over Me? The only issue I saw here is this:WHERE IS HER FAMILY!? Was it really impossible to do this Ep with Applebloom/Big Mac/Granny Smith hanging in the background somewhere? I mentioned that if you didn't know about the past Eps than AJ seems to not only live alone, but runs the entire farm by her self. Why couldn't there at least be a line to mention where they were? Bats did it just fine, but here? They probably died and AJ lives/work alone, WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE THOUGHT IF THIS WAS YOUR FIRST EP!?

Bad writing is still a thing when you leave out important details, where was her family? Why couldn't they had helped Twi and Spik---oh right, BECAUSE EVERYTHING WOULD HAD BEEN FINISHED BEFORE RARITY AND AJ EVEN GOT BACK AND THE LESSON WOULD HAD BEEN IMPOSSIBLE! I'm not mad they were left out, but it just seems like the only reason they didn't even get mentioned was "because" the writer could not had done this Ep if they were in it, altho mentioning they were away takes only 1 sec of the Ep and easily done, so thus it feels like a very small detail of bad writing.

Also, why does RD suddenly enjoy the spa? S2 she hated having her hooves touched (because the CMC wrote about it and RD refused to even talk to them so it was a important story detail) but suddenly she loves them? It reminds me of S5 where they all befriended Discord off screen and we were in the 100% same exact boat as Twi.

This one was okay, though we have seen Applejack a workaholic how many times? It is getting old, but it was entertaining, especially since I love Rarity and Applejack playing off each other, they are just one of those duos that just click.

I was surprised we didn't get much focus on Twilight and Spike's plot, I thought it would be more about Twilight trying to get the farm in check while Applejack kept wanting to check in, if this world had cellphones, you know Applejack would just call in every minute.

Rainbow Dash she stole the show in my opinion, though I didn't what they were doing with her character, it was still funny. Though I think after embracing reading, Rainbow Dash being self worried of  such things like this seems to derail her character development, though I am glad she learned at the end, at least I hope she did, just because you are tough, doesn't mean you can't embrace other parts of your personality.

Right, because no one can ever write AJ any other way...I remember that old issue. XD I suppose if her family/friends tried to get AJ to take a day off but she just couldn't would had worked better? I mean if she works so dang hard she can't even hang with friends (wasn't a issue til now) then yeah, seeing AJ struggling to ty and relax but she kept getting worried and bothered----

---ya know Spongebob did this, Squidward left him in charge so he could have a day off but he kept imaging Spongebob destroying the whole place and he kept running back to check in. Something like that would had been perfect, wouldn't it?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:20:31 PM by Speedy »

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

May 28, 2016, 05:41:03 PM
Reply #11
This was an ok episode with a good moral but it felt...lacking.  Like there should have been more to it.  The bits with RD where kinda pointless but it was cute seeing her awkward about the situation.  It was also nice to see AJ completely into the spa thing.  I would have said she'd be less into it than Rainbow Dash before this.

So yeah, an ok episode but not great.

- Master Willem

May 28, 2016, 06:32:23 PM
Reply #12
This was an ok episode with a good moral but it felt...lacking.  Like there should have been more to it.  The bits with RD where kinda pointless but it was cute seeing her awkward about the situation.  It was also nice to see AJ completely into the spa thing.  I would have said she'd be less into it than Rainbow Dash before this.

So yeah, an ok episode but not great.

Tbh AJ fixing the spa wasn't at all needed if her friends "saw her doing the non-needed things" she does, maybe that's why it felt lacking? Because the spa scene was 100% pointless if all that AJ needed was to be seen doing the unneeded stuff?

Or you could go with the idea I mentioned above, just show AJ trying to relax but she can't stop worrying?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 06:33:48 PM by Speedy »

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

May 29, 2016, 02:12:37 PM
Reply #13
Not one of the better episodes this season. It was just lacking well, entertainment. It was a boring episode. Like someone already said it's like a mix of Look Before You Sleep, and Spike at Your Service. Both lousy episodes put into this. And silly Rarity, maitainence work is how Applejack relaxes. :p

May 29, 2016, 04:40:32 PM
Reply #14
OK I'm rewatching and AJ DOES mention her family are busy/away, doesn't get rid of my point of them being here would had make the Ep impossible.

May 30, 2016, 08:52:45 AM
Reply #15
I was surprised we didn't get much focus on Twilight and Spike's plot, I thought it would be more about Twilight trying to get the farm in check while Applejack kept wanting to check in
We've seen a lot of stories on MLP were someone tries to handle someone else's workload, screws up, has to admit their failure, is shown how to properly do the chores, and all is well by the end.  I for one am glad that this time we focused entirely on AJ's trip, and that when we did check back on Twi and Spike they weren't screwing up so much as having a hard time adapting to the unnecessary steps.

On top of AJ being an idiot, how stupid are Bloom, Mac, and Granny for not trying to stop her for what I assume were years?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 08:54:37 AM by Urination V1 Brator »

May 30, 2016, 10:43:39 AM
Reply #16
Tbh AJ fixing the spa wasn't at all needed if her friends "saw her doing the non-needed things" she does, maybe that's why it felt lacking? Because the spa scene was 100% pointless if all that AJ needed was to be seen doing the unneeded stuff?

Or you could go with the idea I mentioned above, just show AJ trying to relax but she can't stop worrying?

No I liked the part where AJ fixed the spa since it meant she was both teaching and learning the lesson which is a pretty nice idea.  I actually would have preferred her doing more at the spa rather than padding out the one problem they had.

- Master Willem

May 30, 2016, 10:45:28 AM
Reply #17
.. AJ was an idiot in this one, plain and simple. *facepalm* I understand Rarity's frustration 100%.
[spoiler]
Red for the bloodshed and struggle for freedom.
Blue for the Indian Ocean, in the middle of which Mauritius is situated.
Yellow for the new light of independence shining over the island.
Green for its lush vegetation and its colour throughout the year.

May 30, 2016, 05:29:54 PM
Reply #18
No I liked the part where AJ fixed the spa since it meant she was both teaching and learning the lesson which is a pretty nice idea.  I actually would have preferred her doing more at the spa rather than padding out the one problem they had.

Well if we got that then we wouldn't had gotten the farm scenes, tho the ending of Twi and Spike having trouble as the ending cliffhaner would had been---no idea. XD Either way you go this Ep would be rewritten into an entirely new one, tho another mid season 2 parter would had worked.

May 31, 2016, 01:01:13 AM
Reply #19
This episode was

(sorry I just really wanted to use this :lol:)

I wanted to point out something about the moral. For me it's more for the older people who watch the show, because this kind of routine only happens when you're old enough.
[spoiler]
Red for the bloodshed and struggle for freedom.
Blue for the Indian Ocean, in the middle of which Mauritius is situated.
Yellow for the new light of independence shining over the island.
Green for its lush vegetation and its colour throughout the year.

May 31, 2016, 08:31:48 AM
Reply #20
Well if we got that then we wouldn't had gotten the farm scenes, tho the ending of Twi and Spike having trouble as the ending cliffhaner would had been---no idea. XD Either way you go this Ep would be rewritten into an entirely new one, tho another mid season 2 parter would had worked.

Not really, they would just need to cut the padding parts in the spa and add more things for AJ to fix in its place.

- Master Willem

May 31, 2016, 09:11:15 AM
Reply #21
Am I the only one that liked this episode?  :P

I don't think it's the best this season but it told it's story and moral well, and yes while AJ was an idiot it's good that the show is still showing different sides and flaws to characters. We know AJ is a workaholic, but that she is obsessed with her own routines and doing things she always has, has only really been touched upon in Hearthbreakers.
And I totally get AJ here, I really do. I get obsessed with things I've started and can't be distracted by others until they are done (much to other's frustration). I also can stick a bit to my own routines but not quite to the same extent. AJ wanting to fix the problem in the Spa is something I definitley relate to. She sees a problem and wants to follow it through and fix it.

I guess I like that this episode suprised me. I was expecting another "lol AJ stop working so much" episode, but it was more about how she managed her work and what routines she stuck to.

So yeah I liked it. But then I am an AJ fan.

May 31, 2016, 11:02:45 AM
Reply #22
Not my favourite episode, but not because I disliked it so much as it just felt like two different episode plots jammed together... I expected the plotline of Rarity and Applejack at the spa to go in a totally different direction, and so the final act with Applejack on the farm felt like it didn't belong to me. I'll probably enjoy it more when I watch it again.

The moral was a good one, and one that I've had a tough time putting into words, so I appreciated seeing it brought to life here. It reminds me a lot of the reasons why I had such a miserable time working for the NHS... too many processes becoming too convoluted due to "patching" past troubles rather than taking a step back and coming up with a better way.

May 31, 2016, 12:41:39 PM
Reply #23
I've seen some people defend AJ's stupidity because of the message.  The problem is that AJ's rube goldberg device-like method of feeding the pigs is... well, rube goldberg device-like.  Compare that to the scene where AJ gets the chicken eggs by feeding the chickens one at a time.  This process isn't convoluted or difficult so I understand why AJ got stuck doing this and why it never occurred to her that there could be an easier way.  Not very often your brain says, "Yeah, this is easy, but what if it was easier?"  But when it comes to the pigs, the blah-lah-lah-lah face, the chicken dance*, the rope, the knocking the bucket over, that's too much for me to buy.

Some would say AJ's pride factors into her behavior.  You show me a good argument for AJ's pride causing her to make such stupid decisions and I'll show you a pony that doesn't deserve to run a farm.

*Why would Applejack think the pigs, non-intelligent creatures in Equestria, would see her chicken dance and understand anything?  Heck, how are pigs supposed to understand that a chicken dance is an imitation of chickens?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:32:35 PM by Andrew »

May 31, 2016, 02:22:30 PM
Reply #24
I figured it was a case of "if it's not broke, don't fix it", of course it is exaggerated for comedy's sake but the idea behind it is AJ manages to feed the pigs without them running out the gate so to her it works. If she removed one part of that ridiculous routine she worries the outcome won't be the same as it usually is.

It's sort of like people swearing by their lucky token, and how they have taken it into every exam and done well so to not take it in might affect the outcome, and they just can't bank the outcome on that. AJ's isn't as focused on superstistion but it is focused on "what she knows works".

I do think the pig feeding was a bit riduclous and over the top (while the other things seemed understandable) but I think the theme and moral still comes through in it. Just in a rather awkward way.  :-\