Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: Fixing the Board  (Read 2939 times)

April 07, 2016, 01:34:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been more absent than I would have liked lately, and this has contributed to the several technical issues which have plagued the forum over the last couple of months, in addition to a few long-standing issues that have perplexed staff and member alike, such as Buddy lists. Rest assured, I'm well aware of this, and I'm not happy about it either, particularly with the frequent connectivity and stability issues that we've had lately.

To help resolve these issues, I am delighted to welcome Queen Chrysalis to the team as a new administrator; they have very kindly offered to help out and they have a lot of experience in this area. They share my passion and vision for the board and are committed to making EqF the best it possibly can be - not just "good enough", as it has been for a while now - and we have a lot of exciting ideas for the forum's future.

The first order of business will be moving to a new server. This will allow us not only more stability, but also more direct and immediate control, cutting out any middle men and truly allowing us to create a forum that we can all consider home. We are keen to action this as soon as possible, perhaps within the next week or two, but I will keep you informed of any developments.

Once that is done, we are going to look into resolving some of the board's long-standing issues to the best of our ability. Our priority are technical issues that impede the board's functionality, rather than aesthetic or content-related concerns; those can come later, once we are working from a steady and even playing field.

Thank you for your patience and understanding at this time. I know that things haven't been great lately, but we're trying to turn that around now, and I'm confident that one way or another, we'll all be getting a better EqF, whatever we look for in this forum.

Please welcome Chrys to the team, and feel free to let us know about any technical issues that you'd like us to look into!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

April 07, 2016, 01:43:36 PM
Reply #1
All hail Queen Cheeselegs!  :D

By that I mean I'm looking forward to the server hop and fixing up the database. Sorry for the generic response but this is a great opportunity.

Something something, thank you Queen Chrysalis.

April 07, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
Reply #2
I am eagerly looking forward to working with Chrys as apart of the forum staff. I know Chrys will do well and fit right in.
| 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 | Living Pokédex COMPLETED: 10/26/2017 |
| Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons and Pokémon Junkie | Graduate of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania -- Class of 2016 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."

April 07, 2016, 05:18:58 PM
Reply #3
Welcome Queen C (can I call you Queen C?) in the staff and thank you all for taking good care of us!  :lunas1love

₪ ř lll•o.
I am a rarity.
Please like my artist FB page here

April 07, 2016, 05:56:13 PM
Reply #4
All hail the new queen of the board!

BTW, any estimates on when the server move will take place and how long it will take?
You made this day a special day just by being yourself

Check me out on FIM Fiction!

April 07, 2016, 06:29:28 PM
Reply #5
Hi everyone! :monster:

Welcome Queen C (can I call you Queen C?) in the staff and thank you all for taking good care of us!  :lunas1love

Sure, that's fine. Over on EvF people have taken to calling me Chrys for short, but Queen C or QC is also fine. I don't mind whatever you want to call me, as long as I know you're talking about me. :)

All hail the new queen of the board!

BTW, any estimates on when the server move will take place and how long it will take?

It shouldn't take long, once everything is prepped. No more than a day, worst case scenario, although it may take up to 48 hours for the DNS changes to propagate (this has to do with the domain name, not the server itself) so that everyone will be pointed to the new server when they type in the URL.

April 07, 2016, 06:33:13 PM
Reply #6
It shouldn't take long, once everything is prepped. No more than a day, worst case scenario, although it may take up to 48 hours for the DNS changes to propagate (this has to do with the domain name, not the server itself) so that everyone will be pointed to the new server when they type in the URL.

Wait, so when the new server gets up and running, this URL will cease to exist? Or what?
| Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons and Pokémon Junkie | Graduate of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania -- Class of 2016 |

April 07, 2016, 06:38:27 PM
Reply #7
Sure, that's fine. Over on EvF people have taken to calling me Chrys for short, but Queen C or QC is also fine. I don't mind whatever you want to call me, as long as I know you're talking about me. :)
You got it Cheeselegs.

Wait, so when the new server gets up and running, this URL will cease to exist? Or what?
URL shouldn't change if I understand correctly, it's that the url will be knocking on the wrong door, yes?

April 07, 2016, 08:32:07 PM
Reply #8
Oo, grats Chrysalis. Good luck. :)

#MakeEqfGreatAgain

April 07, 2016, 09:03:27 PM
Reply #9
Oooh, awesome! Congrats Chrys! :P

I wonder if it'd be possible to get the friend system working again. The thing's been broken for what? Two years now?

#MakeEqfGreatAgain

This got a chuckle out of me. :monster:
3DS Friendcode:
2320-6225-0063
EqF Discord Server

Show By Rock!! ID: 784396951
Add me or something.

My Lobi Profile

Your mother was chair making tools. :monster:
[/quote]
goes sleepy*
[/center]
[/spoiler]

April 07, 2016, 09:06:10 PM
Reply #10
I wonder if it'd be possible to get the friend system working again. The thing's been broken for what? Two years now?

That's something on our "To Do" List. We need to get to the root of that problem, and hopefully being able to change servers should allow us to fix that problem. Under a new server, Derpy and now Chrys would get complete control of the Admin Tools and be able to attempt to solve the Buddy List issue.

Believe us, we want to see that issue fixed just as much as you guys do.

April 07, 2016, 09:22:16 PM
Reply #11

Anything to make this board ever better then it already is makes me happy

Snowy Flanks

April 07, 2016, 09:52:38 PM
Reply #12
Congrats on your new position Chrys!
I am, for one, much excited about the forum's future.
Avatar pic provided by bumbrwby12 on twitter.
Sign Image provided by Andrew's Miitopia playthrough.

April 07, 2016, 11:58:17 PM
Reply #13
Cool.

Where will the new server be hosted? (i.e. what country)

April 08, 2016, 12:30:16 AM
Reply #14
I vote for Jamtland or Sealand

Snowy Flanks

April 08, 2016, 12:43:01 AM
Reply #15
Hi!  And yay!

No, basically, the problem is that you can't find a server directly with a URL (e.g., "equestriaforums.com"); you need an IP address to do that.  DNS (Domain Name System) servers accomplish this by basically providing huge lookup tables that map from URLs to IP addresses.  Every time you type in a URL, under the covers, your computer contacts a DNS server, gives it the URL, gets an IP address, and then uses that to retrieve the actual requested contents of the server.

When you change physical servers, that causes the IP address to change, and in order for users to still get to where they want to go when that happens, the DNS servers' lookup tables need to be updated, and that takes a little while.  That's what he's talking about.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:44:40 AM by GabuEx »

April 08, 2016, 07:18:57 AM
Reply #16

Once we move over, we'll have to tell the domain registrar that the URL needs to point to the new server, rather than the old one.

This DNS change should happen quickly at our own registrar, and then will slowly propagate across the internet as DNS servers talk to each other to get these sorts of updates automatically.

Oo, grats Chrysalis. Good luck. :)

#MakeEqfGreatAgain

LOL

I'm adding this to my signature.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 07:22:18 AM by Queen Chrysalis »

April 08, 2016, 08:31:06 AM
Reply #17
Congrats Chrys on the new role as admin over here. 8)

EqF's CAH deck code: RDSS3

April 08, 2016, 12:08:11 PM
Reply #18
Here's hoping you two can wrestle the forum into submission!

(Psst, the staff list needs updating now).
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

April 08, 2016, 04:08:30 PM
Reply #19
Don't mean to pry, but about those EqF awards, are they gonna be finalized after the forums' situation is dealt with?

April 08, 2016, 06:30:51 PM
Reply #20
Don't mean to pry, but about those EqF awards, are they gonna be finalized after the forums' situation is dealt with?
As I understand it, that's delayed due to those handling it having stuff IRL that they have to deal with, though I don't know the details. PM'ing them about it might be the best bet, assuming you haven't yet.
 :-X

April 09, 2016, 04:15:11 AM
Reply #21
Congratulations Chrysie! Also, thank you to all the Admins for their hardwork and diligence. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

April 09, 2016, 04:19:59 AM
Reply #22
As I understand it, that's delayed due to those handling it having stuff IRL that they have to deal with, though I don't know the details. PM'ing them about it might be the best bet, assuming you haven't yet.
 :-X
As I said, don't want to pressure anybody.

April 09, 2016, 10:23:57 PM
Reply #23
*nevermind just read the first post  :P *
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:33:24 PM by Fluttershy's Husband Southern Wing »
I post both cute pictures

awesome banner made by Salnalus
Check out my changeling fic http://www.fimfiction.net/story/331602/imprisonment-of-a-changeling

April 10, 2016, 05:02:21 PM
Reply #24
#latetotheparty

Was wondering why I suddenly saw Chryssi with an Admin logo, but now I see. Well then, welcome welcome (as an Admin now)! :D

[/spoiler]