Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 6x08 - A Hearth's Warming Tail  (Read 3858 times)

May 14, 2016, 11:52:03 PM
Reply #25
Favorite episode of the season. Possibly in my top five episodes total. I have no idea why, but I LOVED this episode.
Ask me anything!

Skype: sinceritystar | AIM: xcatxstarx | PSN: Atiqua | XBL: Aviendra

May 15, 2016, 12:41:36 AM
Reply #26
Luna as the Spirit of Hearthswarming To Come was ominous and awesome.  :lunadealwithit

Only one question: When does Discord get a Hearthswarming invitation?  :disbored

Oh, and (as others have said) Best Tree Topper Ever!  :derpytoocool
-Standing backwards, Scoot.

May 15, 2016, 01:58:52 AM
Reply #27
Only one question: When does Discord get a Hearthswarming invitation?  :disbored

When ponies are actually confident that he won't turn the tree upside-down. :P

Oh, and (as others have said) Best Tree Topper Ever!  :derpytoocool

I was... momentarily concerned that the top of the tree had gone up her butt. :'(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 02:00:29 AM by GabuEx »

May 15, 2016, 10:02:35 AM
Reply #28
I thought it was cute, not my favorite this season, but I really liked the songs. Musical episodes are fun.

Gotta say though, it felt really weird watching this episode in May. Granted, in the DGC streams I've been holding for the past month and half, we've watched three Christmas-related things already, but at least those initially aired during Christmas time, and not in May. :monster:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

BOOK HORSE WHY ARE YOU SO CUTE

Book horse is best pony. Seriously though, that was adorable. Now I'd like to see how Twilight sang every song.
3DS Friendcode:
2320-6225-0063
EqF Discord Server

Show By Rock!! ID: 784396951
Add me or something.

My Lobi Profile

Your mother was chair making tools. :monster:
[/quote]
goes sleepy*
[/center]
[/spoiler]

May 15, 2016, 10:42:34 AM
Reply #29
So is it safe to say somepony, like Celestia, knew of this and said:

"Hm, nope. Make sure the ponies never know they exist otherwise they'd be anything but joyful."

"But wouldn't they be outraged this Holiday is a complete lie and panic?"

"..."

"Um, my prin---"

"BANISHED!"

:P No honestly tho, she should be fully aware of this and is choosing not to tell even Twi it's real. We heard these "Ice Demons" at the end of S2's HM as the Mane6 fought and why would they show a backstory with lore that isn't even real? That's like trolling the fans with a middle finger. This one since it was read from a book is harder to tell, but why shouldn't we believe it happened?

Hey, my best friend over in the U.K recently told me the show releases OFFICIAL BOOKS not comics but BOOKS! And they even officially release Daring Do books! One of which even stated Equestria was millions of years old, I repeat, m-i-l-l-i-o-n-s of years old. Now, we know Daring Do's books ARE CANON as S4 revealed she's been writing her adventures down as these books. So, yeah being official----how many are you gonna say they are uncanon?

EDIT:Say if this story was true, than where were these guys during S5's bad futures?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:35:00 AM by Speedy »

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

May 15, 2016, 09:54:18 PM
Reply #30
Am I the only one who genuinely hoped that Starlight would break the mold, and still reject the holiday at the end? :P

Overall this episode was alright, I suppose. I'm getting to like Starlight more and more.

May 16, 2016, 06:58:35 AM
Reply #31
She was given a choice.  Twilight's last words to her after she finished the story was that she and Spike where going to the party and Starlight can join them if she wants to.  It wasn't even about Starlight not celebrating Hearts Warming, it was about showing her that it wasn't just about presents, sweets and an excuse to party.  :-\
Again, soothsaying.  The keyword here is transparency.  Twilight's words are "Spike and I are heading downstairs.  And if you wanted to you'd be welcome to join us."  Because Twilight is unyielding in her belief that not celebrating HWE is silly, an interpretation of her words could be, "you either join the herd or you spend the night alone."

May 16, 2016, 09:44:28 AM
Reply #32
Say had a thought, when the Crystal  Heart got shattered and the ponies had to run for their lives due to the snow being too dangerous---could that had been the Windigos? I mean why would they only be after Equestria? Could they still be trapped inside that heart and if HM is canceled they get free? But why would they be the only ones? I mean if you think about it, it makes sense that it was them and the Crystal Heart was keeping them at bay as well.

P.S Windigos, isn't that a name for a spirit that forces you to go crazy and eat other humans? No joke, oh wait their called "Wendigos"---------------THEY CHANGED ONLY ONE LETTER!?  >:( Yeah totally the same name, they took a human eating myth and turned it into an snow demon that basically makes ice ages. XD

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

May 16, 2016, 02:09:46 PM
Reply #33
Again, soothsaying.  The keyword here is transparency.  Twilight's words are "Spike and I are heading downstairs.  And if you wanted to you'd be welcome to join us."  Because Twilight is unyielding in her belief that not celebrating HWE is silly, an interpretation of her words could be, "you either join the herd or you spend the night alone."

But... Starlight was already planning on spending the night alone, and was previously fine with that.

May 16, 2016, 02:27:53 PM
Reply #34
Loneliness by choice versus loneliness by force.  For some fans, that lack of choice could drive then nuts.

May 16, 2016, 04:14:23 PM
Reply #35
Finally Starlight got another song.

May 16, 2016, 04:53:31 PM
Reply #36
Loneliness by choice versus loneliness by force.  For some fans, that lack of choice could drive then nuts.

I'm just not sure I see the lack of choice, though.  Twilight and others are planning to celebrate Hearth's Warming Eve.  Starlight can either join them, or not.  It seems like a bit of a stretch to say that there's any coercion in Twilight just wanting to celebrate a holiday.

May 16, 2016, 06:57:28 PM
Reply #37
I'm just not sure I see the lack of choice, though.  Twilight and others are planning to celebrate Hearth's Warming Eve.  Starlight can either join them, or not.  It seems like a bit of a stretch to say that there's any coercion in Twilight just wanting to celebrate a holiday.
The problem is you're looking at this logically. :monster:

May 16, 2016, 07:09:40 PM
Reply #38

She was given a choice so where's the big complaint? She went down to join them, it probably would had felt lonely if she didn't go down tho. I see no issues, maybe if she "had something to do" like go celebrate it with Trixie and due to the story brought her to the castle?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:11:40 AM by Speedy »

May 17, 2016, 06:40:32 AM
Reply #39
Now that I've had to to absorb the ep I have to say that they really knocked that one out of the park it's just a shame they couldn't air it closer to the holidays.
Let's Be 3DS Pals! 4596-9457-8718
Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z     Hugging is Good for U! Especially when your hugging a Not So Little Pony! :P   Credit to astarothathros for this awesome Picture!

May 17, 2016, 09:58:42 AM
Reply #40

I suppose one could interpret it that way.  To which is say, so?  Interpretation is jus that, interpretation.  If somepony reads it that way then it's their problem not the episode's.  This is why I don't put any stock in the concept of Unfortunate Implications since it is only a subjective inference of meaning. :-\

...Thus Equestria Girls is canon, so...

"We are thinking on the basest of planes. What we need, are more eyes."
- Master Willem

May 17, 2016, 10:19:53 AM
Reply #41
I had another thought, if these 3 spirits are indeed real then where WERE THEY before? Like when Starlight rewrote that time travel spell to change the future, what that wasn't bad enough to get the spirits' attention like having the Windigos return? IT'S THE SAME OUTCOME being Equestria is doomed, so where were they then?

You could say they knew Twi and her friends would win and undo all the damage, but still---rewriting a time travel spell to utterly destroy the future (without meaning too mind you) yet they did nothing and let it happened at most 5 times? Yeah these spirits need to understand what counts as "getting their attention".

Also I have a theory as to why they only showed up to save the Holiday, think on who played as the first 2 spirits----now I'm stretching here, but could they had been the ghosts of Smart Cookie and Pudding Head from the first HM Ep and knowing the threat Snowfall's spell would cost, they got a higher up power (Luna's character, would say Clover but---------------------------  :-\ ) to stop her?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:31:03 PM by Speedy »

May 17, 2016, 03:11:32 PM
Reply #42
I had another thought, if these 3 spirits are indeed real then where WERE THEY before? Like when Starlight rewrite that time travel spell to change the future, what that wasn't bad enough to get the spirits' attention like having the Windigos return? IT'S THE SAME OUTCOME being Equestria is doomed, so where were they then?

You could say they knew Twi and her friends would win and undo all the damage, but still---rewriting a time travel spell to utterly destroy the future (without meaning too mind you) yet they did nothing and let it happened at most 5 times? Yeah these spirits need to understand what counts as "getting their attention".

Also I have a theory as to why they only showed up to save the Holiday, think on who played as the first 2 spirits----now I'm stretching here, but could they had been the ghosts of Smart Cookie and Pudding Head from the first HM Ep and knowing the threat Snowfall's spell would cost, they got a higher up power (Luna's character, would say Clover but---------------------------  :-\ ) to stop her?

But... the three spirits are characters in a book. :P  That wasn't actually Starlight in the book; that was just her filling in for the character in the book.

May 17, 2016, 06:36:33 PM
Reply #43
But... the three spirits are characters in a book. :P  That wasn't actually Starlight in the book; that was just her filling in for the character in the book.

EDITED TO SOUND LESS RUDE:

Did you really just say that? I'm really confused on how you made that mistake, I mean I didn't even say "why did they come to Starlight now" I was asking why they never appeared til now if the story was indeed a true tale. What gave you the impression I called Snowfrost Starlight as that was just what you said there.

Just to avoid confusion (you did confuse me yourself with that I mean come on when I did even confused the character as really being Starlight?) what I asked above was this:

"If the 3 spirits are real and this wasn't just an fairy tale, then where they all the times Equestria was almost doomed?"

And I used the S5 final as a example to express this question. So, yeah I can't even think of what to say as your reply is just that confusing to figure out how you made that mistake. Again, I never said "Snowfrost was really Starlight" I know she was just filling the role, I even mentioned "if you look at who played the first 2 spirits".

I was asking "if the story was t-r-u-e than why hadn't the spirits showed themselves til now" and I used the S5 final as a example as Starlight's actions should had fit well enough in "getting their attention", yeah I'm repeating here but wanna be double sure you don't make that same mistake, sorry but it really confuses me on "how" you mistook what I said in such the wrong way..

EDIT: If you think about it, these 3 should really had showed up before, you can say it wasn't under their powers as before now the villains were just evil, plain and totally evil. But three so far had been reformed, Snowfrost was just about to cast an spell that she really had no idea what it would end up doing but, you mean to tell me they couldn't had appear to Luna back those 1000 years ago? OH RIGHT if they had the show would never had happened...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:43:50 AM by Speedy »

May 18, 2016, 02:56:40 PM
Reply #44
If that was an edit to make it sound LESS rude, I'd hate to see what it was before. It still comes off as pretty rude.
Ask me anything!

Skype: sinceritystar | AIM: xcatxstarx | PSN: Atiqua | XBL: Aviendra

May 18, 2016, 06:20:26 PM
Reply #45
If that was an edit to make it sound LESS rude, I'd hate to see what it was before. It still comes off as pretty rude.

Well I took away the caps, sorry if it's still rude but I was just confused as to how he got that from what I had said. I clearly never stated Starlight was Snowfrost, his line "but they are just characters in a book, that really wasn't Starlight" how did he get that from my question? It puzzles my mind something terrible, keep in mind I have OCD and nowhere can I see where he got that from.

I do apologize, if he wants he can tell me how he assumed that as I simply can't see how he did.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:22:25 PM by Speedy »

May 19, 2016, 04:37:36 AM
Reply #46
Cute story. Love more Starlight and loved her/Snowfall's song.

As someone who felt forced to be enthusiastic about Christmas by friends though it did kind of jar with me. People have reasons for not celebrating and it's ok not to do so. You can celebrate being friends and enjoying each other's company in other ways. I know Twilight gave her a choice but it still felt very much like, "you don't like HW? What is wrong with you?" when I felt Twilight and Spike could have perhaps learned as well that it's ok for people to celebrate different things and in different ways, and that something that is super important to you won't always be to other people/ponies.

Just a missed opportunity I guess. With this obviously being a Christmas analogy I felt it could have been a good message to be respectful of kids who don't celebrate Christmas due to having other holidays/religions, it being a difficult time of year for them, just not enjoying it etc.

May 19, 2016, 10:03:27 AM
Reply #47

As someone who felt forced to be enthusiastic about Christmas by friends though it did kind of jar with me. People have reasons for not celebrating and it's ok not to do so. You can celebrate being friends and enjoying each other's company in other ways. I know Twilight gave her a choice but it still felt very much like, "you don't like HW? What is wrong with you?" when I felt Twilight and Spike could have perhaps learned as well that it's ok for people to celebrate different things and in different ways, and that something that is super important to you won't always be to other people/ponies.

Just a missed opportunity I guess. With this obviously being a Christmas analogy I felt it could have been a good message to be respectful of kids who don't celebrate Christmas due to having other holidays/religions, it being a difficult time of year for them, just not enjoying it etc.

There are people like that I know, like 1 girl who in her family doesn't celebrate Holidays because they don't exist in their religion. Yes, even Christmas. I don't really see this choice as being forced or anything, I mean what would the ending had been like? Tell kids even tho if a friend doesn't celebrate the same thing you should be fine with it if they are? Well yeah that's sorta a good lesson..guess it would've helped to see what Starlight was gonna do instead.

Ya now in a Christmas Carol Mr.Scrooge learnt the true meaning of Christmas, that was the hole point. Here---Snowfrost didn't really get the same message, she just basically learnt "if you get rid of this Holiday then Equestria will be forever doomed" so it was kinda just her seeing a possible bad future. Did she celebrate HM because she learnt how special it was? Or because she had too out of fear or something? Like Starlight she could easily had decided not to celebrate either, but left it alone for everypony else too.

"HM is important because IT KEEPS US SAFE FROM DEMONS"

"Um mommy...isn't the true meaning to be kind an---"

"ICE DEMONS!!!!!!""

It's odd ya know, they celebrate a Holiday that they just have no idea why, their basically celebrating a blind lie that's keeping monsters away because said lie feels the day with such joy. If they ever knew, the Holiday would be forever just another Nightmare Night. Question, why can't the Wingidos come back any other day and how come in each of the bad futures we saw in S5, none were a snowy wasteland? Guess because there were no ponies left to feed off of, they don't feed off of fear do they? Just anger?

May 19, 2016, 12:02:58 PM
Reply #48

Yeah, agreed. I was really hoping that Starlight would turn down Twilight's offer to hang out at the end. I think that could have made this episode something really special, instead of just another rehash of A Christmas Carol.

May 19, 2016, 02:59:18 PM
Reply #49
Yeah, agreed. I was really hoping that Starlight would turn down Twilight's offer to hang out at the end. I think that could have made this episode something really special, instead of just another rehash of A Christmas Carol.

In pony world, perfectly okay if you don't want to participate in Halloween. NOT okay if you don't want to participate in Christmas. :monster: