Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 6x08 - A Hearth's Warming Tail  (Read 3859 times)

April 06, 2016, 10:04:53 AM
New synopsis:

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-a-hearths-warming-tail/EP013304160136?aid=zap2it

Starlight Glimmer has a case of the holiday blues, so Twilight tries to help cure her by reading one of her favorite Hearth Warming's Eve stories, A Hearth's Warming Tale.

Sounds kind of boring, honestly.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:01:16 AM by The Derpy One »

April 06, 2016, 03:43:59 PM
Reply #1
You seem awfully negative about the show... :umifthatsokay

Just about any of the slice of life episodes would sound boring if you just gave them a one-sentence summarization.  One of the big draws of the show is watching and enjoying the interpersonal interactions between the characters.  I for one am happy that they're still giving us plenty of episodes in which they aren't going on a big adventure and are just spending some time together, as those are often my favorite episodes, and I was concerned that they might be shifting away from that format of episode.

April 06, 2016, 07:07:11 PM
Reply #2
You seem awfully negative about the show... :umifthatsokay

Just about any of the slice of life episodes would sound boring if you just gave them a one-sentence summarization.  One of the big draws of the show is watching and enjoying the interpersonal interactions between the characters.  I for one am happy that they're still giving us plenty of episodes in which they aren't going on a big adventure and are just spending some time together, as those are often my favorite episodes, and I was concerned that they might be shifting away from that format of episode.
Honestly, I haven't been worried about that since season 5. After the show seemed to escalate more and more with season 4, season 5 "resetted" by being like a better written season 1, with more emphasis on slice of life again. From what I'm seeing, season 6 will continue that trend.

TOO MANY FLUTTERSHYING CONS

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

April 06, 2016, 08:22:05 PM
Reply #3
I hope so. :)  I'm really liking the direction of season 6 so far.

April 07, 2016, 10:56:57 AM
Reply #4
This could be interesting depending where they go with this. The story could even be something that follows up on the lore that we got from Hearth's Warming Eve.

Of course it could also be completely unconnected, but since it's not a story being told to a child in-universe I don't think it will be just some Christmas story converted to a Pony version.

May 07, 2016, 05:55:52 PM
Reply #5

May 08, 2016, 12:58:03 PM
Reply #6
Another out of season episode interesting.

May 14, 2016, 10:35:12 AM
Reply #7
Derpy is best tree topper

that is all

Snowy Flanks

May 14, 2016, 10:53:43 AM
Reply #8
Hmm, I can hear fans (edit- and parents) already typing their reasons why this episode is anti-atheist pro-theist propaganda.  Comes with the territory of adapting A Christmas Carol.

All depends on whether or not Starlight's given a CHOICE at the end to celebrate the holiday or not.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:25:48 AM by Bronymian Rhapsody »

May 14, 2016, 11:01:32 AM
Reply #9
Ouch.

On a lighter side of things, Luna just had one of the best songs of the entire series!  One of the creepiest songs at that.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:02:05 AM by Bronymian Rhapsody »

May 14, 2016, 11:10:39 AM
Reply #10
Wow this is by far the best episode of the season so far, it is a musical episode, I am loving it. Is so wrong to say, Starlight you are  an awesome villain, you are so natural. Granted I know she wasn't want to hear that.

So Starlight is playing a character that is a mixture of Scrooge, the Grinch, and evil sorcerers, Rainbow Dash has her assistant awesome. I wonder did Starlight cast herself in this story or was it Twilight because she is the narrator, I guess it doesn't mater.

Applejack plays the role of both Marley and the ghost of the past, she does well in that role, little Starlight / Snowfall she is adorable, have we ever heard young Starlight speak? but Pinkie Pie she steals the show as ghost of Hearthwarming present. And Pinkie's song is one of the best songs on the show in years.But Luna's song is also great, different styles, they both are awesome, and Luna as the ghost of Hearthwarming future is great.

The ending of the story was great, Snowfall finally redeeming herself, and than the post story song. I think this might be the best Hearthwarming episode yet.

May 14, 2016, 11:18:40 AM
Reply #11
In short, this was a good and very cheery christmas episode. Some of us juuust may have to get over the fact this aired 7-8 months too early  :monster:

Most of the songs were good too. I'm not even a huge Luna fan, but she definitely had the best song of the episode IMO. Though Starlight/Snowfall's villain-esque song is certainly an honorable mention.

I was concerned how they were going condense the whole A Christmas Carol kind of thing in less then 22 minutes. But I was surprised to see they did it fairly well. (Probably the songs helping alot with that)

May 14, 2016, 11:20:38 AM
Reply #12
If we take Twilight's tale to be equestrian history, then pony spirits and ghosts exist.

Gentlestallions, may I present to you the newest piece of equestrian lore.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:22:16 AM by Bronymian Rhapsody »

May 14, 2016, 11:28:15 AM
Reply #13
Well. Ho hum.
Now, I've never even read A Christmas Carol, so it's entirely possible that I'm missing something brilliant ... but there wasn't really a lot to this, was there?

Opening song was meh.

Starlight's song sounded like it tried hard to be the new "This Day Aria", but didn't reach that level.

Applejack's song was really good, I think.

Pinkie's song, not bad, above average.

Luna's song had a really promising outset, but didn't really take it anywhere.

Generally speaking, I think the song suffered from a general problem that the songs in recent seasons have tended to suffer from, namely that the lyrics don't work very well as verse. Did they even rhyme? Certainly the meter was extremely uneven and artless in many places, and the melody did its honest best to follow it, but at the end there's only so much you can do without a good steady beat in the lyrics from the beginning.

I think what happened is that the show tries so hard to make the songs integral parts of the plot that the content of the lyrics is fixed very rigidly before someone with a sense of poetry gets to look them over. And at that point, apparently you can't adjust things so they flow better rhytmically. In the early seasons there was much more often a sense that they started with a really good song and then animated to it; nowadays it looks more like they had a storyboard ready and then asked Ingram to come up with a tune that fit it.

Ouch.

Ouch?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:29:43 AM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

May 14, 2016, 11:36:20 AM
Reply #14
Ouch?
A lot of possible fandom drama could have been quelled right there at the end had Starlight been given an unmistakable, transparent choice to celebrate HWE or not.  The way this was written, it didn't seem like she was given a choice but an obligation.

Now before any member argues with me on this, aye, I don't actually believe there's any intended message behind this episode.  I'm just soothsaying!

May 14, 2016, 11:49:49 AM
Reply #15
If we take Twilight's tale to be equestrian history, then pony spirits and ghosts exist.

Gentlestallions, may I present to you the newest piece of equestrian lore.

I don't know, it could be rather muddled or up to personal view as it ever was.

The beginning of the episode has Starlight mention the windigoes as mythical with no one really trying to correct her on it. So that brought out the possibility that the play in Hearth's Warming Eve has been confirmed to not been that entirely accurate.

But the ending of the story has Snowfall shown the Windigoes did exist.

On one hand, this was another Hearth's Warming Eve story. So it could be very well be true that this was also exaggerated and/or the story is entirely fictional just like A Christmas Carol is in our world.

On the other... well... considering Daring Do proved to be real. Anything is possible regarding this kind of thing.

So all-in-all I think they're going for a "If you want it to be completely canon to the lore, you can see it that way" or "If you prefer having something remain fictional in this universe that is also fictional in of it's self, you can see it that way too". I personally lean towards the latter, but I'll shrug it off if for some reason or another they decided to affirm that it did happen exactly the way the play depicted. Perhaps there could even be a compromise. Maybe the Windigoes do exist, but they weren't the sole reason for the harsh winter. And I figure the racism between pony types probably could of resulted in some violence rather then just name-calling from the leaders of each type.

May 14, 2016, 02:24:01 PM
Reply #16
I'm hoping this doesn't take place "during" Hearth Warming, why? BECAUSE IT WOULD F UP THE TIMELINE THE SHOW HAD BEEN SO GOOD WITH THUS FAR!!! S2 intoduced Hearth Warming and Nightmare Night, S4 confirmed one year had passed, S5 brought back Hearth Warming and Nightmare Night (tho back to back they were out of order).

So why would S6 have a Hearth Warming Ep so soon? This would mean TWO YEARS HAD PASSED since S4 confirmed just 1 year had passed, what a time skip!!!! I am hoping one of 2 things.

First way they could go about this would be to have the story take place "in a flash back" much like Equestia's Founding did.

Second way would be the more clever and safer route, do NOT show AJ nor Pinkie Pie during this entire Ep, doing this we could assume this Ep took place "during" S5's Hearth Warming Ep. But if they show AJ and Pinkie well F then...........  :-X

They could very well ruin the entire time line and confuse everyone, you can not simply have 2 Holidays within the same year. S1-4 was a full year, 5-6 ANOTHER YEAR ALREADY?!?!?!?!?  >:( Just no! Now if this doesn't take place during this Holiday, well I just made myself a dumby right? But had to express this before I let watch the Ep. Say what you will but they made it canon on how long the year span is, they can't simply show the same Holiday in back to back seasons like this as it would totally F up everything and time in FIM will be forever broken.

Forget the Galla happening so often, this is worse if they add Hearth Warming again after S5 had already returned it. I'll return later with my thoughts after I saw the Ep.

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

May 14, 2016, 02:29:20 PM
Reply #17
Speedy: By now we just have to kinda accept that with Holiday and/or specific seasonal episodes and the like, time is always going to be inconsistent with this show. It's been that way since the first season (Fall Weather Friends two episodes after Winter Wrap-Up being the first major example)

May 14, 2016, 05:01:33 PM
Reply #18
Speedy: By now we just have to kinda accept that with Holiday and/or specific seasonal episodes and the like, time is always going to be inconsistent with this show. It's been that way since the first season (Fall Weather Friends two episodes after Winter Wrap-Up being the first major example)

Well I just saw it, know what this means? 3 years has passed in show, S1-4 confirmed a entire single year had passed but 5-6? 6 is on year 3, let me just say this Ep came far too soon. Yeah S1 had Winter Wrap Up and 2 had Heath Warming, S4 basically had all 4 Holidays (counting Nightmare Night and 2 being skipped over as BG stuff). I get why they did this Ep, and if they had waited we wouldn't had gotten this one.

My only issue is it's just too soon, S1-4, OK single year, S5-6 WE'RE ON YEAR ALREADY!?!?!?!?!? YEAR-THREE! I know we can't see every day of the Mane6's lives, but why do this so soon and basically make it canon that Twi is on her 3rd year in Ponyville, and skip so much? I mean S1-4 shows a lot of Eps and time passage, but S5 and 6? They skipped more than HALF of these 2 years, should we be happy of this giant time jump?

Yes we can't pin point the exact time of each season and Ep, but we can confirm S5 and 6 had skipped most of Twi's two years in Ponyville and she's now on year 3. How much time was exactly skip? As they skipped a freaken lot, call Sam Adams from Click as somebody has the remote! Three years, and S4 only showed a single one year had passed and they went and skip over an year and a half with S5 and 6!? OK I might be going overboard, but they did skipped at most a full year with this Ep being aired so soon.

You can not defend this, S4 made that impossible by taking place a exact year after S1, you can't defend this. They skipped so much for this Ep, should we be glad about this and not discuss it?

On another note----OMG FAVE PART WAS LUNA YES OH CELESTIA WHAT A PERFECT ROLE FOR NIGHTMARE MOON EVEN THO IT WAS LUNA FAVE SONG AND WILL RINGTUNE IT! XD I love they did this old classic story and it fit pretty well, we have possible ancestors to the Mane6! My theory anyways, this time the names were similar. 1 bad musical but this makes the good musical count 2 against 1.

Celestia this was a PERFECT Ep! Yeah ending was rushed but hey, what can ya do? So without Hearths Warming the "Ice Demons" can return? Huh, so just this Holiday? Not the others?Why can't they return any other day is this single day a magically seal  that must be kept in check yearly? Clover, Celestia, was there something you left out? I get the feeling like the Templars somepony left this detail out to ensure this Holiday is joyful, if they knew what was at skate---yeah they wouldn't be anything near joy.

My real only issue is the whole "they did this FAR TOO SOON" and skipped basically an entire year of the Mane6's lives just to do it, yeah you can debate it wasn't that big of a skip but it IS if their year is the same number of days our's is. Even if it's shorter still a year when adding up, other than this it is a very good Ep. It's just the cost was pretty great...Twi is on her 3rd year living in Ponyville and we skipped MOST of the previous year plus the amount of time between their "New Years Raising Of The Sun" Holiday.

EDIT: Oh P.S, is a deer girl in this season? I ask because before I saw the S6 opener I came across either a thumbnail or a TV ad where Twilight meets a deer running a stand, since it was right before the Ep I assumed it was the opener. Now before S5 I saw a thumbnail of Tirek in a cage and Twi talking to him, which clearly never happened so it was fan made. But if this one with a deer character was real, anyone let me know so my hopes aren't falsely up?

Oh hey her dad that's cool! But no mom? Like Scootaloo's parents I assume..
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 05:12:05 PM by Speedy »

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

May 14, 2016, 05:31:33 PM
Reply #19
A lot of possible fandom drama could have been quelled right there at the end had Starlight been given an unmistakable, transparent choice to celebrate HWE or not.  The way this was written, it didn't seem like she was given a choice but an obligation.

She was given a choice.  Twilight's last words to her after she finished the story was that she and Spike where going to the party and Starlight can join them if she wants to.  It wasn't even about Starlight not celebrating Hearts Warming, it was about showing her that it wasn't just about presents, sweets and an excuse to party.  :-\

I don't know, it could be rather muddled or up to personal view as it ever was.

The beginning of the episode has Starlight mention the windigoes as mythical with no one really trying to correct her on it. So that brought out the possibility that the play in Hearth's Warming Eve has been confirmed to not been that entirely accurate.

But the ending of the story has Snowfall shown the Windigoes did exist.

On one hand, this was another Hearth's Warming Eve story. So it could be very well be true that this was also exaggerated and/or the story is entirely fictional just like A Christmas Carol is in our world.

On the other... well... considering Daring Do proved to be real. Anything is possible regarding this kind of thing.

So all-in-all I think they're going for a "If you want it to be completely canon to the lore, you can see it that way" or "If you prefer having something remain fictional in this universe that is also fictional in of it's self, you can see it that way too". I personally lean towards the latter, but I'll shrug it off if for some reason or another they decided to affirm that it did happen exactly the way the play depicted. Perhaps there could even be a compromise. Maybe the Windigoes do exist, but they weren't the sole reason for the harsh winter. And I figure the racism between pony types probably could of resulted in some violence rather then just name-calling from the leaders of each type.

Well it is worth remembering that Nightmare Moon was considered a myth way back in Episode 1 of Season 1...until she turned up again.  That ponies think the Windigos are myths could just be a matter of it being such a long time ago, longer than 1000 years, that ponies just don't believe in them any more.

Anyway, this was a really good episode and an interesting take on the classic A Christmas Carol story.  They played pretty fast and loose with the source material, which is fine since it's not actually Christmas they're taking about, but they had enough references that it was ok.  Luna's song was my favourite cause it really suited her. :D

So yeah I enjoyed this episode a lot. :pchappy

...Thus Equestria Girls is canon, so...

"We are thinking on the basest of planes. What we need, are more eyes."
- Master Willem

May 14, 2016, 05:56:33 PM
Reply #20
A christmas episode in the middle of May. ...What?

Also, another generic "A Christmas Story" rendition of a holiday episode. That's totally not overdone at all.

Good things about this episode....Uhhh. Luna. Luna's always good. Plus that song of foreboding doom. Spike's one off line/burn on Starlight. And the tapdancing sequence between Pinkie and Pip

May 14, 2016, 08:19:41 PM
Reply #21
This episode was cute.  Even though it's May. :monster:

It wasn't the best episode in the show, and it kind of retreaded old ground that the show has delved into before, I felt, but it was still fun. :)  And the Luna song was really, really good - I agree with Bronymian Rhapsody that it was one of the best in the series (though I wish it had been a bit longer).  I hope that the show does eventually do something more with Celestia and Luna.  The IDW comics have given them a lot of character and depth, whereas on the show they're... kind of just there, mostly, with rare exceptions (like here).

Also, re: the timeline, I feel like the show just doesn't give a single feather about what time it is in the show or about the passage of time.  I feel like we the fans are waaaay overthinking it when we try to figure that stuff out when it seems pretty clear to me that the writers of the show basically just haven't thought about it much.  As was already noted, the show went from winter to fall in one single episode.  And Apple Bloom is still a filly six years into the show, so. :derpyahwell

EDIT: Also,

BOOK HORSE WHY ARE YOU SO CUTE
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 08:26:23 PM by GabuEx »

May 14, 2016, 08:26:59 PM
Reply #22

Fun fact about that part: Tara Strong originally auditioned for the role of Pinkie for Friendship is Magic. So this could be considered pretty meta. ^^

May 14, 2016, 08:31:38 PM
Reply #23
Fun fact about that part: Tara Strong originally auditioned for the role of Pinkie for Friendship is Magic. So this could be considered pretty meta. ^^

Hah!  I did not know that. :)

Although... that does raise the question, was Twilight doing all of the songs as songs?  I kind of want to see what was happening in the real world while Twilight was reading the book. :P
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 08:32:24 PM by GabuEx »

May 14, 2016, 09:14:31 PM
Reply #24
EDIT: Also,

She has a Pinkie voice?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 09:15:53 PM by Speedy »