Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 6x07 - Newbie Dash  (Read 3198 times)

March 29, 2016, 12:41:53 PM
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:00:58 AM by The Derpy One »

March 29, 2016, 01:01:26 PM
Reply #1
Oh wow  ???

I actually kinda was thinking it was possible that Dash would officially become a Wonderbolt this season. But not this early into it.

I'm good with it either way though. About time I'd say.

March 29, 2016, 01:49:33 PM
Reply #2
Huh.  Well, that was sudden. :P

I'll be curious to see how this goes, whether this time she finally gets to stay a Wonderbolt or whether things go wrong like last time.

April 03, 2016, 12:08:35 PM
Reply #3
Calling it now 'Rainbow Crash'

Snowy Flanks

April 03, 2016, 02:27:31 PM
Reply #4
Calling it now 'Rainbow Crash'

Nah, it's probably the episode title.
3DS Friendcode:
2320-6225-0063
EqF Discord Server

Show By Rock!! ID: 784396951
Add me or something.

My Lobi Profile

Your mother was chair making tools. :monster:
[/quote]
goes sleepy*
[/center]
[/spoiler]

May 07, 2016, 10:42:34 AM
Reply #5
What, don't they have any ATC? It's the tower controller's job to separate landing pegasi from ground traffic.

(And those 'bolts didn't even turn to final until after RD started crossing the runway. What on earth should she have looked out for?)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 10:43:51 AM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

May 07, 2016, 10:44:04 AM
Reply #6
What, don't they have any ATC? It's the tower controller's job to separate landing ponies from ground traffic.

(And those pegasi didn't even turn to final until after RD started crossing the runway. What on earth should she have looked out for?)
They were also behind a cloud, but stuff flows downhill so RD is trapped

Snowy Flanks

May 07, 2016, 10:47:17 AM
Reply #7
...... what the hell?

Oh please tell me Dash tries to be like Rarity.

edit-
Ooooookay.  This episode has been alright up until now but this scene makes it all worth it. :lol:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 10:49:08 AM by Bronymian Rhapsody »

May 07, 2016, 10:50:28 AM
Reply #8
[RD trying to be everyone else]

That was painful to watch.

(Edit: Real end credits music!!!!)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:01:01 AM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here

May 07, 2016, 11:00:51 AM
Reply #9
Well this is an okay episode. I think this is another episode in which everything can be solved by just being honest.

At first it looked like this was going to be a Rainbow Dash arrogance episode, but that turned around quickly.

The Shadow Bolts they don't mean any malice about Rainbow Dash's childhood, but Rainbow Dash should be honest and tell them what backage that nickname has on her, instead of that stunt she pulled.

Rainbow Dash's impression of everyone else was hilarious. Got to be an episode highlight.

What I did love finally some acknowledgement of the Mane 6 saving Equestria many times, so Celestria doesn't erase everyone's memories.

May 07, 2016, 11:05:51 AM
Reply #10
The the impressions were fun but I kept facepalm and telling her to just be honest, that this is not what you should do since you might end up in an institution, then she got Scootaloo involved and I was head banging with frustration

Snowy Flanks

May 07, 2016, 11:08:52 AM
Reply #11
Huh, well that morale was definitely not what I thought the episode was about.  Dash spends the whole episode being depressed because she's been christened Rainbow Crash only to learn that being apart of a team is a-okay.

Episode was predictable.  Not awful, just something where thirty seconds in I knew what was going to happen beat for beat.  The Dash does impressions of her friends I liked, because it wasn't predictable.  It was something creative and odd that broke up the monotony of it's lame story.  Then we got our strange ending that messed up its own point.  The ending was like if the message to Boast Busters turned out to be "bears ruin everything."  This is a little worse than the typical so okay it's average pony episode.  Probably my pick for the worst of s6 so far.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:09:40 AM by Bronymian Rhapsody »

May 07, 2016, 11:10:00 AM
Reply #12
The the impressions were fun but I kept facepalm and telling her to just be honest, that this is not what you should do since you might end up in an institution, then she got Scootaloo involved and I was head banging with frustration

At least she wasn't asking Scootaloo to have an actual life-threatening accident with the scooter so she could save her (which is what I was expecting at that point).
OC descriptions here

May 07, 2016, 11:12:21 AM
Reply #13
Then we got our strange ending that messed up its own point.  The ending was like if the message to Boast Busters turned out to be "bears ruin everything."

Oh thanks, now I understand why I don't like the episode: The moral is that bullying is okay as long as it is institutionalized and "everyone else gets it too".
::)

Or can anyone see a different moral that I can't?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:15:29 AM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here

May 07, 2016, 11:37:29 AM
Reply #14
Henning, I think the message was supposed to be, for the first 3/4 of the episode at least, don't compare the anguish you feel inside to the smile you see on everyone else's faces for everyone else has embarrassed themselves just as badly as you did.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:38:14 AM by Bronymian Rhapsody »

May 07, 2016, 12:01:57 PM
Reply #15
I actually thought this was a good one, maybe not amongst the best ever in the series but certainly a fair Dash episode. Yes, Dash maybe should of been a bit more honest. Though at the same time maybe Rainbow thought that the Wonderbolts might have thought Dash is a little childish that she'd let a name that bullies called her when she was a filly still affect her so much. (Which I'll admit is headcanon territory given that wasn't explicitly said)

And being a stand out flyer is what got Rainbow Dash the attention of the Wonderbolts in the first place, she had to learn that once she's there, she's in a team. Not individuals showing off their best skills.

A good analogy for this is any Professional Sports team that has minor leagues where they can call up certain players to play for the Professional team. You can show off all your skills in the minor leagues that might of worked quite alot. But once you've been called up to the pros (Often because your individual skill has been noticed), the veteran defensemen of the opposing team have seen enough action to anticipate it and they can turn your greatest skill into your first big mistake if you get too cocky.

We also have to put into account that Rainbow Dash still has her insecurities within her that's been a thing since Sonic Rainboom (the episode). She's achieved her goal of being a Wonderbolt, it's been her biggest dream for pretty much most of her entire life. So naturally she's be more insecure then ever. I like how nervous they portray Rainbow at the start, she's not instantly thinking (At least on the inside) that she's fitting in. Even when she's boasting in the episode you can clearly see she's doing it just to hide her true feelings

And regarding the "bullying". The Wonderbolts at the end stated they all give eachother nicknames based on a mistake they made as rookies, Dash just didn't completely understand some of the personal quirks the team has when they're just chilling in the locker room. It's a whole different thing to see a team from afar and strive to become part of it, then get to know them personally. Though admittedly again both sides could of confronted eachother earlier then they did on the issue and I'll admit that is a legitimate flaw in the episode that could break the episode for alot of people. But as for me, I don't think it entirely ruins the many positives that I take out of this episode.

On a slight side note, for every question asking "Why does Rainbow want to be part of this group again?" after all the times the Wonderbolts haven't treated her fairly I always argue that it should make it even more important that Rainbow joins cause her ideals for what a Wonderbolt should be could finally start trickling down into the organization. So that while the Wonderbolts aren't actually what Rainbow thought they were when she was younger, Rainbow can start being the one that starts changing the Wonderbolts into what she thought they were. I do think that will eventually be Rainbow's goal. Even if that process is so slow that the show won't cover it.

May 07, 2016, 12:21:01 PM
Reply #16
And regarding the "bullying". The Wonderbolts at the end stated they all give eachother nicknames based on a mistake they made as rookies, Dash just didn't completely understand some of the personal quirks the team has when they're just chilling in the locker room.

It is bullying, without any scare quotes around it.

It might have saved them in my estimation if they had explained to Rainbow Dash how their traditions work before they had pushed her into doing crazy death-defying stunts in order to earn the respect they were making her think she had lost. Instead they deliberately kept the truth from her until at the end. What the hell of a way to behave is that? How the hell doing-your-best-to-drive-new-members-to-suicide supposed to be a teambuilding exercise?

Why the hell does Rainbow even still want to be a part of a group who treat her like trash and don't even do her the favor of telling her what their feeble little small-minded excuse for the bullying is?

Why did she NOT react to that jacket with "Okay, you win, I quit"?

But as for me, I don't think it entirely ruins the many positives that I take out of this episode.

Positives? Such as, "If you find yourself being bullied, you should just grin and bear it because they probably just think they're having fun"? "There's probably a reason for the bullying, never mind that they're not telling you about it and just making you feel like shit"? "Oh, that's not really bullying, can't you see the scare quotes?"

On a slight side note, for every question asking "Why does Rainbow want to be part of this group again?" after all the times the Wonderbolts haven't treated her fairly I always argue that it should make it even more important that Rainbow joins cause her ideals for what a Wonderbolt should be could finally start trickling down into the organization.

That's not what the episode tells me. To me the ending shows RD having completely drunken the kool-aid here, and she will probably be first in line to bully the next recruit into a desperate suicide attempt.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 12:23:38 PM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here

May 07, 2016, 12:37:57 PM
Reply #17
Episode was predictable.  Not awful, just something where thirty seconds in I knew what was going to happen beat for beat.  The Dash does impressions of her friends I liked, because it wasn't predictable.  It was something creative and odd that broke up the monotony of it's lame story.  Then we got our strange ending that messed up its own point.  The ending was like if the message to Boast Busters turned out to be "bears ruin everything."  This is a little worse than the typical so okay it's average pony episode.  Probably my pick for the worst of s6 so far.

I pretty much agree with this. It was okay, but way too predictable to really excite me. I'd say worst of s6 as well. Which I did anticipate. I don't think any Rainbow Dash + Wonderbolts episodes have really been that great (except Rarity Investigates and maybe Rainbow Falls, though I know some people don't like that one either).

The ending was iffy. I don't think it went so far as to promote bullying, but I do think Rainbow Dash should've told the Wonderbolts that the nickname made her feel uncomfortable. It reminded her of a dark experience from her childhood, and I'd think that'd make her uncomfortable enough for her to want them to change it. In general, I guess I wish RD stood up for herself a bit more in that episode. On the other hand, I suppose it wouldn't be healthy for RD to continue to associate the nickname with a negative experience either, so maybe it's good that she came to peace with it, but I'd like it to have been done a little differently I guess.

The scene with Rainbow Dash mimicking the mane 6 was funny, but also kind of cringey. I'm not sure if I liked it or not. :monster:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 12:46:47 PM by JonnyJinx »

May 07, 2016, 02:24:39 PM
Reply #18
...Hanning it seems to me like you think my post on why I liked the episode was defending bullying given your post in the Unpopular Opinions thread. And I did not mean to imply that.

Yes, Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts should of talked to eachother earlier then they did. I will concede that is a big flaw of the episode that if anyone is upset by I won't fault them for disliking the episode. I just like to think there's a second layer behind all this. Such as Rainbow thinking the Wonderbolts would think of her as childish for letting a nickname that coincidentally matches with an insult bullies said of her as a filly. The Wonderbolts maybe thinking Dash had grown past that. I see it more as miscommunication in terms of meeting one another personally. Rainbow doesn't understand that the nicknames for the Wonderbolts have always been basically in-jokes relating to the mistakes each of the members have done when they were Rookies. And the Wonderbolts had no idea Rainbow Crash was a name that Rainbow hates from her filly days. (And despite it being a little insensitive, Pinkie is probably right that Rainbow Trash probably would of been far worse considering)

Perhaps there could of been better ways to go about it. As I will definitely concede that this is probably not the best outing for either Rainbow or the Wonderbolts. But I don't think it's anywhere near the worst either. I still feel Rainbow Falls got more things wrong character and execution-wise by far in terms of Rainbow & Wonderbolt related Episodes.

May 07, 2016, 04:56:38 PM
Reply #19
I may had facepalmed---twice---but this was a good Ep!  :lol: Tho am I'm the only one worrying others will take issue with the ending? I don't, but can see why some will think it was rushed. I can't wait to see what's next! Lightning Dust returns? Scootaloo's family? Lightning Dust? A RD and Spitfire Ep? LIGHTNING DUST RETURNS?  :lol: Sue me I wanna see her, maybe RD can even help her?

It was nice the Wonderbolts mentioned RD saving Equestria, her not so fame----fame, might had saved her tail here. XD But she so earned this after 6 years, btw who else thought Spitfire looked---naked without her suit on during the locker scene? Reminds me when Big Mac took off his neck-thingie..

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

May 07, 2016, 06:52:45 PM
Reply #20
This episode was... okay, but definitely not the best.  I would agree that it was probably the weakest to date.  The moral seemed kind of out of nowhere; I had assumed that the moral would be something along the lines of getting used to coworkers with a different sort of cultural mindset than you're used to, or something like that.  I was on a team at work once where people routinely greeted each other with "hey, f***face!"  There wasn't any malice behind it; it was just a guy-bonding sort of thing.  But if I hadn't been already used to that, that would've taken a lot of getting used to.

I don't personally agree that what they were doing was what I would term bullying, at least not in terms of the schoolyard sort.  It's not exactly unheard of for military comrades to bust others' balls about things they do, especially new recruits, and it felt like it was more intended to be evocative of that sort of behavior.  Which isn't nice, but, well, being part of the military isn't supposed to be nice; it's supposed to break you down, give you adversity that you need to get used to, and make you more malleable.

May 07, 2016, 08:00:20 PM
Reply #21
This episode was... okay, but definitely not the best.  I would agree that it was probably the weakest to date.  The moral seemed kind of out of nowhere; I had assumed that the moral would be something along the lines of getting used to coworkers with a different sort of cultural mindset than you're used to, or something like that.  I was on a team at work once where people routinely greeted each other with "hey, f***face!"  There wasn't any malice behind it; it was just a guy-bonding sort of thing.  But if I hadn't been already used to that, that would've taken a lot of getting used to.

I don't personally agree that what they were doing was what I would term bullying, at least not in terms of the schoolyard sort.  It's not exactly unheard of for military comrades to bust others' balls about things they do, especially new recruits, and it felt like it was more intended to be evocative of that sort of behavior.  Which isn't nice, but, well, being part of the military isn't supposed to be nice; it's supposed to break you down, give you adversity that you need to get used to, and make you more malleable.

That's what the academy was for, plus they admited they been waiting forever to add RD to their ranks and seemed a big----anyone recall that short comic where Daring Do went fanboy crazy over RD? They even mentioned her saving Equestria and having the best talent out of all of them, or something similar. If RD was anyone else you can bet she would had been fired, but nope.

The Wonderbolts during that scene seemed---weird, suddenly their best buddies? I wanna know what Spitfire's name was btw, can anyone tell by her lip movement or by raising the vol? Making a old nickname you hated into a title you proudly wear, should they had added more time to that?

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

May 08, 2016, 03:07:07 AM
Reply #22
I don't personally agree that what they were doing was what I would term bullying, at least not in terms of the schoolyard sort.  It's not exactly unheard of for military comrades to bust others' balls about things they do, especially new recruits, and it felt like it was more intended to be evocative of that sort of behavior.

How on God's green earth do you get from "not exactly unheard of" to "not bullying"? ::) ::) ::)

Which isn't nice, but, well, being part of the military isn't supposed to be nice; it's supposed to break you down, give you adversity that you need to get used to, and make you more malleable.

Because driving your own personnel to suicide is the bestest way to win wars.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 03:30:06 AM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here

May 08, 2016, 03:15:50 AM
Reply #23
How on God's green earth do you get from "not exactly unheard of" to "not bullying"? ::) ::) ::)
Military pilots are given their callsigns they don't get to choose from a list. and Yes the same rule applies to military demonstration pilots.
I post both cute pictures

awesome banner made by Salnalus
Check out my changeling fic http://www.fimfiction.net/story/331602/imprisonment-of-a-changeling

May 08, 2016, 03:21:59 AM
Reply #24
Military pilots are given their callsigns they don't get to choose from a list. and Yes the same rule applies to military demonstration pilots.

Just because bullying happens in the real world doesn't mean it's not bullying.

I'm also wondering whether there's a rule in the real world that military pilots are not told about this system and made to think THEY are the only one being ridiculed, until they've effectively attempted suicide in a desperate attempt to fit in.

How do YOU know about that tradition, by the way? Unless you're actually in the military and breaking some kind of wow-of-silence by revealing its existence here, I'll have to conclude what you're talking about is NOT kept secret from the new hires -- and is therefore NOT in any meaningful way parallel to what Rainbow Dash was subjected to in this episode.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 03:29:35 AM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here