Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 6x06 - No Second Prances  (Read 4379 times)

April 30, 2016, 02:42:45 PM
Reply #25
Personally I loved this episode. It's probably my favorite so far, and I'm not even a big Trixie fan. I just loved Starlight and Trixie's friendship and the drama that ensued. I really hope in future episodes we get a nod to it via Starlight writing to Trixie or similar.

I think it's a good point that while we will often say "hey you messed up but everyone deserves a second chance!" it doesn't stop us from placing assumptions and past preconceptions on people if they have wronged us. I did think Twi was a bit stupid in this episode but she's always had a flaw in worrying a lot about Celestia's visits and impressing her so I can pass it off as that.

I loved that Trixie fucked up and said "she had won", but then tried to backtrack to explain it was a bonus to the friendship. That was really good Trixie characterisation I thought. She does want friends but she's so proud and competitive that sometimes it can get in the way of her being thoughtful and tactful. And she's so dramatic when upset about it, very much true to her usual form!

As well as what I said about other's past preconceptions I think this episode also highlights how sometimes it can be hard to break old habits even when we are determined to be different. Trixie was still boastful, brash, and thoughtless to the point of upsetting her new friend, and Starlight was still using magic to solve problems rather then thinking through the problem step by step.

Some excellent humor in this episode too. Big Mac not being able to stop talking. "How do you get your hair to do that?" Starlight's comments on Twilight's "creepy" interventions. Made me laugh several times.

Starlight/Trixie is also definitley a ship I shall sail.

April 30, 2016, 03:33:21 PM
Reply #26
There's also the whole "It's a name in progress" thing, which was a pretty good running gag.

If you want to follow me on Fimfiction, you can go to my account page here.

April 30, 2016, 03:37:41 PM
Reply #27
I was a little worried that Twi would be a bitch for no reason but it makes sense that she wouldn't trust Trixie since they never had a proper sit down about what happened.

Anyway, this was a really good episode.  I don't really like Trixie that much but I actually enjoyed her in this episode. :D

I really liked Celestia's board expressions, we don't get to see her like that much. :lol:

So apparently Angel really likes Starlight. ;)

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

...Thus Equestria Girls is canon, so...

"We are thinking on the basest of planes. What we need, are more eyes."
- Master Willem

April 30, 2016, 04:38:00 PM
Reply #28
Now I see why they didn't use Discord for the role of person that Twilight think would be a bad influence on Starlight, because the episode would have gone so differently. First of all Discord has friends like Fluttershy and The Smooze, so that part of the plot line wouldn't fit, not to mention we haven't seen Trixie since season 3 not counting the comics, so there is a edge of mystery has she really changed, we know what Discord is all about, and we know what would have happened, he would have showed up at Twilight's party and ruined, because he is a jerk to Twilight, he loves pushing her buttons. Maybe that is why Starlight and Fluttershy interact at all in this find a friend montage.

I like the relationship that Twilight and Starlight has here, Twilight is over protective like an older sister or a mother, the way I think of it, is an older sister whose parents are dead and Twilight has all the responsibility of being Starlight's guardian. That is how it felt like to me.

And if this was told from Trixie's prospective, this would have been like those old school teen movies like She's All That or Can't Buy Me Love, a character wants to use another character for their own selfish motives, but ends up caring for the other character along the way.

Trixie was on point in this episode, nice that she and Starlight can be friends, I wonder how is the shipping react to this one, will it be anything like after Gravity Falls "Northwest Manson Noir" or Steven Universe "Too Far", perhaps something in between. I can see it already.

This wasn't as bad as I feared it would be, I like Starlight rebel attitude, she has not going to let Twilight walk all over her like in the season premiere, and she separates herself form being a Sunset Shimmer clone.

But I am still waiting for Starlight and Discord to interact. I haven't forgotten.

May 01, 2016, 10:03:45 AM
Reply #29
I have no complain towards Twi's problems. It would be boring to see her flawlessly teaching friendship. Starlight is her first pupil after all. And the show was on the spot with that second chance story. Too often people say they give second chances but it's not given with 100% of their trust. And I so understand Twilight on that one with Trixie. I don't like Trixie either but I loved this episode! It may be my favourite from this season for now!
The only character I found annoying was RD, but I don't want to develop on that I just want to enjoy the nice moments in the episode!
[spoiler]
Red for the bloodshed and struggle for freedom.
Blue for the Indian Ocean, in the middle of which Mauritius is situated.
Yellow for the new light of independence shining over the island.
Green for its lush vegetation and its colour throughout the year.

May 01, 2016, 04:00:29 PM
Reply #30
This was a really cute episode; I rather enjoyed it!  I really like the direction that they're going in this season, in which Starlight Glimmer learns about friendship from Twilight Sparkle, who now knows everything and totally does not still have a lot to learn about friendship herself! :monster:

Anyway, I know that this is getting old since I've said this about every episode, but I continue to like how mature the show seems to have become; the lesson behind this show seems like one that would have seemed jarring and out of place in Season 1's more plain and simple morals.  I especially liked the way in which the show posed the question, "Is Trixie reformed, or is she still kind of terrible?", and provided the answer of "yes".  It really feels like the show's grown up a bit with its characters, which is neat to see. :)

May 01, 2016, 05:13:44 PM
Reply #31
So did anypony else pick up on the fact that Trixie was basically committing suicide at the end of this episode? :P

- Master Willem

May 01, 2016, 07:19:08 PM
Reply #32
The scene of a depressed Trixie attempting the Moonshot Manticore Mouth Dive was interesting.

Assuming the Manticore was domesticated and trained (it did bow at the end) and Starlight hadn't returned, would the Manticore have spit Trixie out?

Assuming it was wild and untrained (assuming the bow was pure gag and not to be taken seriously), assuming Trix knew the Manticore was untrained, was Trixie attempting suicide?

Why did Fluttershy faint at the sight of the Manticore when she showed no fear of them in episode 2?

May 02, 2016, 12:15:12 AM
Reply #33
Personally I loved this episode. It's probably my favorite so far, and I'm not even a big Trixie fan. I just loved Starlight and Trixie's friendship and the drama that ensued. I really hope in future episodes we get a nod to it via Starlight writing to Trixie or similar.

I think it's a good point that while we will often say "hey you messed up but everyone deserves a second chance!" it doesn't stop us from placing assumptions and past preconceptions on people if they have wronged us. I did think Twi was a bit stupid in this episode but she's always had a flaw in worrying a lot about Celestia's visits and impressing her so I can pass it off as that.

I loved that Trixie fucked up and said "she had won", but then tried to backtrack to explain it was a bonus to the friendship. That was really good Trixie characterisation I thought. She does want friends but she's so proud and competitive that sometimes it can get in the way of her being thoughtful and tactful. And she's so dramatic when upset about it, very much true to her usual form!

As well as what I said about other's past preconceptions I think this episode also highlights how sometimes it can be hard to break old habits even when we are determined to be different. Trixie was still boastful, brash, and thoughtless to the point of upsetting her new friend, and Starlight was still using magic to solve problems rather then thinking through the problem step by step.

Some excellent humor in this episode too. Big Mac not being able to stop talking. "How do you get your hair to do that?" Starlight's comments on Twilight's "creepy" interventions. Made me laugh several times.

Starlight/Trixie is also definitley a ship I shall sail.

Yeah, agreed. It's definitely not quite my #1, but this one is up there for sure.

I relate pretty strongly to Starlight and Trixie in that I find it difficult to find people I can really relate to, people who know where I'm coming from so they can understand why I am who I am, to form close friendships. I mean, I can certainly get along with friends of friends, and just generally people I interact with, but finding a deeper sort of connection is difficult for me.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:18:56 AM by Queen Chrysalis »

May 02, 2016, 12:20:35 AM
Reply #34
I thought it was a pretty good episode.
I post both cute pictures

awesome banner made by Salnalus
Check out my changeling fic http://www.fimfiction.net/story/331602/imprisonment-of-a-changeling

May 02, 2016, 06:58:59 PM
Reply #35
The scene of a depressed Trixie attempting the Moonshot Manticore Mouth Dive was interesting.

Assuming the Manticore was domesticated and trained (it did bow at the end) and Starlight hadn't returned, would the Manticore have spit Trixie out?

Assuming it was wild and untrained (assuming the bow was pure gag and not to be taken seriously), assuming Trix knew the Manticore was untrained, was Trixie attempting suicide?

Why did Fluttershy faint at the sight of the Manticore when she showed no fear of them in episode 2?

I think Fluttershy was scared because she wasn't in control of the situation like she was last time.  This is her in an audience watching another pony putting her self in danger, so that's probably what she was scared of.  Sort of like how she was, needlessly, scared for her animal friends when Twi was using them in her show back in the last Trixie episode.

I took the Manticore bow as just it bowing because it was on stage in a show.  Most animals in Equestria are shown to have enough intelegance to understand such things even if they are technically "animals".  Cartoon logic and all that.

- Master Willem

May 03, 2016, 06:42:50 PM
Reply #36
Finally saw this (brother took the charger used for my recording laptop which has a very short battery life) and it was well worth the wait.  :D  Hope to see Trixie more! Btw anyone saw my let watches so far? Had to do this Ep audio only..  :-\

EDIT:Btw is it me or did Twi seem------------a bit backwards in character? S2 she was THE ONLY ONE OUT OF THE ENTIRE TOWN that gave Luna a second chance after her Nightmare Moon phase, and here she's totally different! You could say since what Trixie did was more personal she reacted differently, but I just feel it was out of her character a bit as again, the whole Nightmare Night Ep. Just me?

EDIT AGAIN:Anyone noticed the orb Trixie held in her poster resembles a certain ball from a dragon show? HINT-HINT?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:27:27 PM by Speedy »

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

May 03, 2016, 07:29:50 PM
Reply #37
EDIT:Btw is it me or did Twi seem------------a bit backwards in character? S2 she was THE ONLY ONE OUT OF THE ENTIRE TOWN that gave Luna a second chance after her Nightmare Moon phase, and here she's totally different! You could say since what Trixie did was more personal she reacted differently, but I just feel it was out of her character a bit as again, the whole Nightmare Night Ep. Just me?

I felt the problem with Twilight in this episode was more so that she felt like she contradicted the modest Twilight that has been established since Boast Busters (Ironic given that was Trixie's debut episode). Even putting the whole "Trying to impress Celestia" into account. She's never felt like she was boosting her own ego at the same time when doing things for Celestia. She mainly just overreacted as a bit of a perfectionist. The whole reason Lesson Zero happens is she thinks Celestia will think less of her just for missing one friendship letter due date. Even Party Pooped which was written by the same writer as this episode did it better because again she was trying to make sure the meeting with the Yaks went without huge incidents.

Having Twilight try to have Starlight make a new friend that isn't somebody she believes could cause a ruckus in front of Celestia just makes her feel selfish, controlling, and egotistic. It doesn't help that I feel she shouldn't be talking to Trixie as if she's done something worse then Starlight's done in the past when that is not the case.

May 03, 2016, 07:55:20 PM
Reply #38
I felt the problem with Twilight in this episode was more so that she felt like she contradicted the modest Twilight that has been established since Boast Busters (Ironic given that was Trixie's debut episode). Even putting the whole "Trying to impress Celestia" into account. She's never felt like she was boosting her own ego at the same time when doing things for Celestia. She mainly just overreacted as a bit of a perfectionist. The whole reason Lesson Zero happens is she thinks Celestia will think less of her just for missing one friendship letter due date. Even Party Pooped which was written by the same writer as this episode did it better because again she was trying to make sure the meeting with the Yaks went without huge incidents.

Having Twilight try to have Starlight make a new friend that isn't somebody she believes could cause a ruckus in front of Celestia just makes her feel selfish, controlling, and egotistic. It doesn't help that I feel she shouldn't be talking to Trixie as if she's done something worse then Starlight's done in the past when that is not the case.

I suppose, btw Fluttershy being scared of this monster-------S1 opener anyone!?!??!!?!? How I did missed that! Still think Twi's behavior hurt the Ep more, she should know way better than this. Twi not liking your friend so she gets 3 others to be your friends? WOW Discord must had messed with their minds again...

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

May 03, 2016, 08:23:26 PM
Reply #39
I think the way that Twilight was acting was more or less in line with how she's been all season long vis-a-vis being Starlight's mentor.  I think there were two factors in play, here: a) Twilight always gets crazy mental when it comes to wanting to impress or do well for Princess Celestia, and that was on full display here; and b) Twilight has kind of gotten full of herself, thinking that she knows way more about friendship than she actually does by virtue of being Princess of Friendship and having a pupil now, and that's clearly gone to her head.

Superficially, Twilight is teaching Starlight about friendship.  In actual fact, Twilight is learning a lot more about how little she really still knows about friendship than she is genuinely teaching Starlight about friendship.  That's not to say that Twilight knows nothing, but she is by no means the master teaching the pupil at this point, and I get the sense that that's going to be a consistent theme throughout this season.  There are really two different forms of learning going on: Starlight is learning about friendship, full stop, while Twilight is learning that one never stops learning about friendship.  It's a journey, not a destination.  Twilight still has yet to understand that, and thinks that she's arrived, not yet understanding that there's nothing to arrive at.  (I imagine Celestia would be the first to tell her that she, too, is still learning about friendship.)

I don't think Twilight is acting out of character, myself.  She's a different pony than who she was at the start of season 2.  Then, Twilight was still Celestia's pupil, well aware of the fact that she was learning and that she shouldn't get ahead of herself.  Now, she's the Princess of Friendship with a pupil of her own, and is erroneously under the impression that she now knows everything about friendship and just needs to pass those lessons on to her pupil.  It's not that Twilight is acting out of character; it's that she's grown and changed as a character.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:25:58 PM by GabuEx »

May 03, 2016, 09:07:43 PM
Reply #40
I think the way that Twilight was acting was more or less in line with how she's been all season long vis-a-vis being Starlight's mentor.  I think there were two factors in play, here: a) Twilight always gets crazy mental when it comes to wanting to impress or do well for Princess Celestia, and that was on full display here; and b) Twilight has kind of gotten full of herself, thinking that she knows way more about friendship than she actually does by virtue of being Princess of Friendship and having a pupil now, and that's clearly gone to her head.

Superficially, Twilight is teaching Starlight about friendship.  In actual fact, Twilight is learning a lot more about how little she really still knows about friendship than she is genuinely teaching Starlight about friendship.  That's not to say that Twilight knows nothing, but she is by no means the master teaching the pupil at this point, and I get the sense that that's going to be a consistent theme throughout this season.  There are really two different forms of learning going on: Starlight is learning about friendship, full stop, while Twilight is learning that one never stops learning about friendship.  It's a journey, not a destination.  Twilight still has yet to understand that, and thinks that she's arrived, not yet understanding that there's nothing to arrive at.  (I imagine Celestia would be the first to tell her that she, too, is still learning about friendship.)

I don't think Twilight is acting out of character, myself.  She's a different pony than who she was at the start of season 2.  Then, Twilight was still Celestia's pupil, well aware of the fact that she was learning and that she shouldn't get ahead of herself.  Now, she's the Princess of Friendship with a pupil of her own, and is erroneously under the impression that she now knows everything about friendship and just needs to pass those lessons on to her pupil.  It's not that Twilight is acting out of character; it's that she's grown and changed as a character.

I see your point, but still her whole "I'll give Luna a chance even tho the entire town won't!" still stands with me, at least have Spike call her out on this than it'll be good.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:46:05 AM by Speedy »

May 03, 2016, 09:41:46 PM
Reply #41
@Gabu: I understand that Twilight has to learn from this relationship to and yes, she certainly doesn't know everything despite being crowned the Princess of Friendship which is certainly a good thing.

I just don't think the episode presented it in the best way. I'd much rather the episode had perhaps removed Celestia from the mix entirely, made the need for Starlight to find a new friend a challenge/mission that Twilight gives Starlight, and Twilight worrying about Trixie only because she's afraid Trixie's quirks might rub off on Starlight that could make it harder for Starlight to find new friends but otherwise treating Trixie more fairly.

Twilight would still learn from this, she learns that some friends have quirks that while certainly don't work for some people, do the opposite for others. Starlight telling Twilight what she likes about Trixie even if Twilight thinks those traits would turn away most ponies. It'd also be somewhat a metaphor for Trixie fans in our very fanbase. And some people may have that friend who may be obnoxious to others but what they do perhaps gives a unique charm that you and any mutual friends between you and that particular friend enjoy.

May 04, 2016, 06:55:51 AM
Reply #42
I think Twilight was mostly worried that Starlight and Trixie would help each other relapse and return to their old, evil ways. And it would be Twilight's fault, if this happened. In that sense, I can totally understand her paranoia and controlling attitude.

May 04, 2016, 11:51:44 AM
Reply #43
I think Twilight was mostly worried that Starlight and Trixie would help each other relapse and return to their old, evil ways. And it would be Twilight's fault, if this happened. In that sense, I can totally understand her paranoia and controlling attitude.

That would had been worse. XD If it wasn't written right, for that to had worked than we needed to see Twi tell her fears to somepony, tho knowing her Twi would only ignore and Lesson Zero all over again.

Btw the whole Trixie thing, she did say "I was caught up in the moment" and it made it perfectly fine to me. Much like RD was with Fluttershy in S2 when she wanted to beat the wind record.

May 07, 2016, 07:24:24 AM
Reply #44
Let's Be 3DS Pals! 4596-9457-8718
Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z     Hugging is Good for U! Especially when your hugging a Not So Little Pony! :P   Credit to astarothathros for this awesome Picture!

May 07, 2016, 01:59:59 PM
Reply #45
good luck friends is hard to do

Snowy Flanks

May 14, 2016, 10:04:28 AM
Reply #46
Is self-teleportation that impressive a trick for a unicorn?

I don't think we've seen normal unicorns teleport but has it ever been confirmed they can't teleport?

May 14, 2016, 10:19:26 AM
Reply #47

I don't think we've seen normal unicorns teleport but has it ever been confirmed they can't teleport?

I suppose now with this episode that depends on where Trixie stands on balance of magic power. She can't teleport, but is she above or below the average unicorn? I think that's been a debate for a while now. We know Trixie is below Twilight for sure, but most Unicorns would be below Twilight anyway. It's possible that her talent in illusionary magic could say she's at least slighty above-average since if you consider that's her talent she should be very good with those kind of things. At the same time though, it could also be true that her illusionary magic hides the fact she can hardly do anything other then the basics (The basics being of course levitation of a small single item)

Of course it did take at least a a good amount of years for Twilight to learn how to teleport as much as she could since it's doubtful she could teleport much at all when she was a filly given it was even a struggle in the early parts of Season 1 (Even though that's kinda been inconsistent early on. Given in Ticket Master even one teleport was difficult on Twilight, but the next episode later she's teleporting multiple times with no issues to keep up with Applejack in Applebuck Season) so that could be evidence towards it being a skill that a unicorn that is particularly gifted to learn

May 14, 2016, 10:39:36 AM
Reply #48

It was established way back in Season 1 that most Unicorns only have some magic relating to their Special Talent and generally only Unicorns with Magic as their Talent can cast spells out side of basic stuff like levitation.  As of the Crystaling it has also been estabilished that Unicorns need a certain amount of magical power to cast advanced spells since Sunburst had the knowledge of advanced spells but not the ability to cast them himself.

Since, so far, only powerful Ponies like Celestia, Twilight, Sunset and Starlight have been shown to be able to teleport it is likely teleportation is not a common feat.

Ironically all the Unicorns could teleport (Wink Out) in G1. :lol:

- Master Willem

May 27, 2016, 02:05:57 AM
Reply #49
Of course it did take at least a a good amount of years for Twilight to learn how to teleport as much as she could since it's doubtful she could teleport much at all when she was a filly given it was even a struggle in the early parts of Season 1 (Even though that's kinda been inconsistent early on. Given in Ticket Master even one teleport was difficult on Twilight, but the next episode later she's teleporting multiple times with no issues to keep up with Applejack in Applebuck Season) so that could be evidence towards it being a skill that a unicorn that is particularly gifted to learn

Though in The Ticket Master, it was one long teleportation from where she was to the library.  In Applebuck Season, they were a series of very short teleportations.

If you want to follow me on Fimfiction, you can go to my account page here.