Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 6x01/02 - The Crystalling  (Read 4239 times)

March 05, 2016, 11:53:54 AM

March 05, 2016, 05:04:16 PM
Reply #1
So hype right now. :D

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

...Thus Equestria Girls is canon, so...

"We are thinking on the basest of planes. What we need, are more eyes."
- Master Willem

March 05, 2016, 05:05:12 PM
Reply #2

March 05, 2016, 05:31:08 PM
Reply #3
Is S6 really starting this 26Th? My birthday is the day before! XD Awesome!!!!  :D

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

March 06, 2016, 02:34:42 AM
Reply #4

March 06, 2016, 09:15:37 AM
Reply #5
It feels so odd Season 6 is already only a few weeks away. This is definitely the shortest hiatus between Seasons ever. Even shorter then the wait between Season 1 and 2.

We probably have that mid-season Hiatus to thank for that.

March 10, 2016, 12:39:38 PM
Reply #6
I guess the Crystalling of Baby Flurry Heart is the Equivalent of baptism in the Crystal Empire. I wonder if they'll put a magical seal ring on her horn after all is said and done.
Let's Be 3DS Pals! 4596-9457-8718
Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z     Hugging is Good for U! Especially when your hugging a Not So Little Pony! :P   Credit to astarothathros for this awesome Picture!

March 10, 2016, 05:28:17 PM
Reply #7
I guess the Crystalling of Baby Flurry Heart is the Equivalent of baptism in the Crystal Empire. I wonder if they'll put a magical seal ring on her horn after all is said and done.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the Crystal Heart.  Probably she'll get turned crystal like the Mane 6 did that one time.

...Thus Equestria Girls is canon, so...

"We are thinking on the basest of planes. What we need, are more eyes."
- Master Willem

March 13, 2016, 08:51:19 PM
Reply #8
Oh this is so exciting! I had no idea that season 6 was starting so soon. Plus, baby pony!
Ask me anything!

Skype: sinceritystar | AIM: xcatxstarx | PSN: Atiqua | XBL: Aviendra

March 16, 2016, 09:48:33 AM
Reply #9
I just had a thought, if Shining Armor and Cadance's baby is a Alicorn, shouldn't we get confirmation that Celestia and Luna were born as Alicorns? Think about it, if they weren't and this child IS the first Alicorn by birth, wouldn't they mention it? Likewise wouldn't they mention how dangerous she could be if she like the Cake Twins, can't control themselves? Saying it right now, if the ep FAILS to mention of of these two facts, then the show is actively trying so very hard to avoid giving any info on the two sisters.

EDIT:Oh, we might even get info on that book that mentions Cadance used to only have wings, again WHY wouldn't the ep bring this little fact up?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:10:09 AM by Speedy »

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

March 16, 2016, 05:45:39 PM
Reply #10
I say Sunset completely forgot about Starlight, and will be uncomfortable when she approaches him

Snowy Flanks

March 26, 2016, 02:13:09 AM
Reply #11
Welp, in less than 8 hours now, it's time to get this over with.

I admit, I haven't been this paranoid over an episode since MMC. And I think it's because of how this reminds me so much of the Fairly Odd Parents episode "Fairly Odd Baby", which was considered the episode when FOP started to suck. I really hope that's not the case with this one, because I want to enjoy the ride a little more before it's over.

TOO MANY FLUTTERSHYING CONS

March 26, 2016, 09:58:45 AM
Reply #12
Welp, in less than 8 hours now, it's time to get this over with.

I admit, I haven't been this paranoid over an episode since MMC. And I think it's because of how this reminds me so much of the Fairly Odd Parents episode "Fairly Odd Baby", which was considered the episode when FOP started to suck. I really hope that's not the case with this one, because I want to enjoy the ride a little more before it's over.

There is a big difference though. Fairly Oddbaby had Poof be an outright main character. Poof would appear in almost every episode afterward. Flurry Heart would probably make occasional appearances whenever they come back to the Crystal Empire just like how we don't see Shining Armor nor Cadence all the time.

March 26, 2016, 10:03:35 AM
Reply #13
the fact that they added Starlight to the intro fills me with dread

Snowy Flanks

March 26, 2016, 10:04:02 AM
Reply #14
 >:( adsfwq34y324lkja

They put Starlight in the intro!

OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

March 26, 2016, 10:20:47 AM
Reply #15
Wait, who un-crystalled all of the crystal ponies ?!??
OC descriptions here

March 26, 2016, 10:43:53 AM
Reply #16
Someone get us Tirek, stat!
OC descriptions here

March 26, 2016, 11:16:40 AM
Reply #17
So I guess S6 will be filled of S3 callbacks.

March 26, 2016, 11:24:13 AM
Reply #18
TWI'S PARENTS FINALLY SPOKE

TWI'S PARENTS FINALLY SPOKE

The episode as a whole I'd say was kinda average and probably one of the weaker openers.

BUT TWI'S PARENTS FINALLY SPOKE

(Now I hope they have at least one more episode they're in this season that they're more important in)

March 26, 2016, 11:24:26 AM
Reply #19
As far as episodes go, there have been better.
Though it was kind of a cute episode, and not a bad start to a season. I can only hope that the quality and whatnot gets better as the season goes on.

I get the feeling though I am going to like having Starlight around. It will be nice having someone akin to old Twilight around again.
And by old Twilight, I mean one without wings and a hilarious lack of experience in being a good friend.

March 26, 2016, 11:27:59 AM
Reply #20
Flurry Heart shares some uncanny similarities with Ysmir from The Elder Scrolls.

At first, I was annoyed with all the baby shenanigans. I had enough of that with Baby Cakes. Something about babies blithesomely causing trouble for everyone else is a trope that gets on my nerves.

However the B story with Starlight and Sunburst was really fun for me. Both of them awkwardly dodging conversation about their largest regrets in life made for what I thought was a really interesting dynamic. It's also interesting to me that this episode drew a distinction between knowledge about magic and magical acumen.

Another point that connects to the previous season as well is Starlight's own magical talent. We've yet to see why she is so powerful. Not that I think we need to know. It's just curious how she has such natural abilities. After the last season, I even had a theory that she is a descendant of Starswirl. She may be even more powerful than Twilight in terms of base power. Therefore it's a cool point in her character that she grew up with such an inferiority complex. Sunburst's immense academic knowledge of magic must have given young Starlight the impression that she was weak by comparison. Perhaps that drove her own studies forward. It's unfortunate though that both of them were so predisposed to anti-social behavior. As they said, they both could have helped each other out a lot through their hardships.

Overall, I loved Starlight and Sunburst. Not to mention Starlight and Spike played really well off each other. It was funny how despite being "reformed", Starlight still knows how to use her charisma to exploit the weaknesses of others e.g. capitalizing on Spike's ego to stall him. Also, I nearly teared up when Spike gave her a hug. It's really sweet that he recognizes - maybe more than anyone else - how difficult things currently are for her.

Additionally concerning Starlight, I'd like to know why losing Sunburst as a foal was so traumatic for her. I feel as though there are layers to that which we aren't seeing. As I said above, it seems like she has a major inferiority complex in terms of her own magical talent; she didn't recognize her own power and hero worshiped Sunburst, letting that insecurity seep into every facet of her life. To her, she lost more than a friend but a piece of herself. At least that's how I read between the lines. Take the way she looked at him before he confessed his own failure; she held the world in her hooves, accomplishing magical feats that were beyond even Twilight, yet still she acted so diminutive in Sunburst's presence. Anyway, it's just a thought.
See the bunny bees and puffs of steam from singing kettles in the trees. Bread and butterflies with fork and knives who like to make a meal of time.
Life is clockwork quick - lightning slow. Faster on your toes, so eat your sugared dream and taste the day before it runs away.

March 26, 2016, 11:48:29 AM
Reply #21
Hmm, did I miss something here? It was telegraphed so loudly from the beginning that Sunburst considered himself a failure that I never really caught where he got that opinion -- at the end he seemed to be as competent as anypony could wish to be, casually out-scholaring Twilight and Celestia both, from memory. It feels like I must have missed some kind of backstory flashback for him. What happened to make him think he was useless?

Having Starlight in the episode was surprisingly bearable. Still, I don't hope she's going to become an ersatz Twilight.

We got a kind of try-to-satisfy-everyone compromise on the "are alicorns born or made" question -- though, I predict, not one that will really satisfy anyone. Now that the topic has been raised, can Celestia keep not being asked about her own past? Sooner or later she's gonna have to talk.
OC descriptions here

March 26, 2016, 12:50:20 PM
Reply #22
Hmm, did I miss something here? It was telegraphed so loudly from the beginning that Sunburst considered himself a failure that I never really caught where he got that opinion -- at the end he seemed to be as competent as anypony could wish to be, casually out-scholaring Twilight and Celestia both, from memory. It feels like I must have missed some kind of backstory flashback for him. What happened to make him think he was useless?

He thinks he worthless because he's more of a scholar than a wizard.  And while he went to Celestia's school, he didn't do as well as the other kids (or maybe even failing the entrance exam).  At least, that's my guess from what we saw.

If you want to follow me on Fimfiction, you can go to my account page here.

March 26, 2016, 01:49:39 PM
Reply #23
Am I wrong, or did the Crystal Ponies lack their crystalness up until the ending? Was that something that happened in a prior episode or is that a blooper?

March 26, 2016, 02:42:13 PM
Reply #24

Having Starlight in the episode was surprisingly bearable. Still, I don't hope she's going to become an ersatz Twilight.

We got a kind of try-to-satisfy-everyone compromise on the "are alicorns born or made" question -- though, I predict, not one that will really satisfy anyone. Now that the topic has been raised, can Celestia keep not being asked about her own past? Sooner or later she's gonna have to talk.

He knew a lot of spells and magic theory, but had no skill in actually using them, apparently.

I'm glad they at least addressed the alicorn thing. It was surprising to know a born alicorn has never happened before though, and even Celestia and Luna apparently were not born alicorns? Which kind of messes with my belief that Celestia and Luna are "special" even by alicorn standards, hence why they are ageless demi-goddess ponies who control celestial bodies... but hm. Hopefully they elaborate.

Overall, it was a good episode. Definitely not as high-stakes as most of the season premiers, but still good overall. Starlight and Sunburst making amends was cute, even if it was obvious where it was going. Spike and Starlight hanging out was also cute, and I kind of hope there's more of that. And I also liked that Twilight did learn a lesson in the end, about how to teach Starlight.

The main plot with the storm seemed kind of like The Crystal Empire except... different? A snowstorm instead of an evil shadow pony. But it was okay.