Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: Myr's Sketches (And maybe other junk idk)  (Read 7113 times)

December 02, 2015, 02:25:16 AM
Reply #25
It's like you need a guide for the guidelines :'(

One day though, I'm going to try drawing ponies again. Then, who knows? Maybe it'll work this time.

Trust me, if you're really unsure about body anatomy, references are your best friend. I don't think a lot of people get a whole lot better at drawing characters unless they look at references of some kind.

I'd say ponies are a good start, in my opinion! I find that they are fairly easy to draw in comparison to humans and dragons, for example.

"I've come too far to see the end now, even if my way is wrong."
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Turbo Shell the Earth Pony
Pine Breeze the Griffon
(Character Pages Coming Soon!)
[/spoiler]
[/center]

December 02, 2015, 02:33:20 AM
Reply #26
Trust me, if you're really unsure about body anatomy, references are your best friend. I don't think a lot of people get a whole lot better at drawing characters unless they look at references of some kind.

I'd say ponies are a good start, in my opinion! I find that they are fairly easy to draw in comparison to humans and dragons, for example.

Did you have a problem where you'd see a reference and try to copy it but find yourself unable to make the proper movements in your hand or more specifically judge distance, making circles too large, too far apart, or simply lack the ability to draw anything all that circular? With me too, I found myself constantly looking up at the computer and down at the paper, finding it incredibly hard to remember even for a few seconds what I was supposed to be drawing. Perspective is another toughie. Do you ever have problems imagining how things look when they're turned to one side? Like you get a weird dull pain in your head when trying to visualize objects and body parts moved in different directions and from different angles?
See the bunny bees and puffs of steam from singing kettles in the trees. Bread and butterflies with fork and knives who like to make a meal of time.
Life is clockwork quick - lightning slow. Faster on your toes, so eat your sugared dream and taste the day before it runs away.

December 02, 2015, 09:02:08 PM
Reply #27
Oh my goodness, I don't think I've ever actually been asked these kinds of questions. I'll try to answer them the best I can, though.  :P

Did you have a problem where you'd see a reference and try to copy it but find yourself unable to make the proper movements in your hand or more specifically judge distance, making circles too large, too far apart, or simply lack the ability to draw anything all that circular? With me too, I found myself constantly looking up at the computer and down at the paper, finding it incredibly hard to remember even for a few seconds what I was supposed to be drawing.

Always. Especially when I'm trying to draw my characters in a more complex pose, which isn't something I normally do by the way. Drawing human hands, even with references, can still be a nightmare for me. Sometimes I get it right, but it usually isn't until after multiple tries and frequent erasing and re-drawing. I've gotten a lot better at sketching characters in just basic standing poses, but even then I still find myself occasionally re-adjusting the arms and legs until they look just right.

As far as actually drawing from references, I learned a little thing back in either a grade 9 or 10 art class where you follow along the line you are copying from a reference as though there is a little ant crawling along it and you are watching that ant. Sketch as you are looking at the reference, and be frequently glancing back and fourth from your page and your reference. It's a very, very quick process that may or may not take some time to get used to. It's really weird for me to try to explain, especially since when I'm drawing I never actually give the description of this process any thought.

Honestly, if you think you're able to understand it, maybe you could give it a try next time you sit down to sketch. If not, well, that is okay. I suck at trying to explain things.  :monster:
I am in no way some kind of professional, and I'm still frequently learning and teaching myself as well as I continue to sketch. I've also been completely sketching on my own for the last few years with no help from art classes or anything, so maybe there are other people who do take classes who could give you much better tips than I could.

Perspective is another toughie. Do you ever have problems imagining how things look when they're turned to one side? Like you get a weird dull pain in your head when trying to visualize objects and body parts moved in different directions and from different angles?

Yes, very much so.
With some of my characters that I am much more familiar with, I can usually imagine them well enough that I can see what they look like from many angles and poses in my mind. Actually trying to put those mental images onto paper is a different story. I think I'm pretty okay with drawing both front and direct side views of characters, but usually anything either in between or a drawing of them from behind does not turn out how it should look in my head. Honestly, it's only something anyone should keep practicing and hope to get better with in time.

And then I also have characters like my lobster claw monster I just drew yesterday, where the design was completely laid out on the spot and I didn't have any real direction with it from the beginning. If I ever wanted to draw that monster again, especially from another angle, I know already that I'm probably going to have a hell of a time with the task with trying to make it look identical to the original drawing of the character.

As for this weird, dull pain, I can't really say anything about is as I don't recall ever feeling anything like that myself when I think about my characters.

Pine Breeze the Griffon
[/spoiler]
[/center]

December 02, 2015, 09:04:35 PM
Reply #28
Wow.... just... wow. I love each and everyone of them.

December 08, 2015, 02:56:00 AM
Reply #29
I don't know, I'm not entirely happy with this one but whatever, it still is one of the better sketches I've done of these characters anyways so I figured I'd post it. It's pretty rough and I didn't erase a lot of the mess this time, so sorry about that.  :-[

So meet Hastur and Baroth. They are brothers, Hastur being the youngest and Baroth the middle child. They have an older sister, but I'll sketch her later.

Pine Breeze the Griffon
[/spoiler]
[/center]

December 08, 2015, 03:33:24 AM
Reply #30
Really really good. I'm so jealous! How long did it take you to draw that well?
See the bunny bees and puffs of steam from singing kettles in the trees. Bread and butterflies with fork and knives who like to make a meal of time.
Life is clockwork quick - lightning slow. Faster on your toes, so eat your sugared dream and taste the day before it runs away.

December 08, 2015, 03:41:55 AM
Reply #31
Well thank you!

Honestly, the human-ish faces don't look all that right to me. I feel like the proportions are all whacked, but that was the best I could get them to look after multiple attempts.  :-[

Pine Breeze the Griffon
[/spoiler]
[/center]

December 08, 2015, 03:47:01 AM
Reply #32
Well thank you!

Honestly, the human-ish faces don't look all that right to me. I feel like the proportions are all whacked, but that was the best I could get them to look after multiple attempts.  :-[

Perhaps Hastur's right eye (from the viewer's POV) could be moved down a bit, but the angle seems right.

December 08, 2015, 03:56:04 AM
Reply #33
Perhaps Hastur's right eye (from the viewer's POV) could be moved down a bit, but the angle seems right.

Hm, maybe that could fix it a little.

...The more I look at it, the more I feel like I should move his brow over the same eye over to the side of his face just a smidgen, too.

Pine Breeze the Griffon
[/spoiler]
[/center]

December 08, 2015, 04:32:41 AM
Reply #34
Hm, maybe that could fix it a little.

...The more I look at it, the more I feel like I should move his brow over the same eye over to the side of his face just a smidgen, too.

Maybe so. I honestly have to stare at it awhile to tell that something seems off. You just notice it easier because you've been looking at it so long. Perhaps you could angle the eye and brow a bit outward, so that it makes his face look rounder. :-\

It's all so minor though imo. I still think you did a good job. Did you name Hastur after the fictional god, by the way?

December 08, 2015, 04:56:31 AM
Reply #35
Maybe so. I honestly have to stare at it awhile to tell that something seems off. You just notice it easier because you've been looking at it so long. Perhaps you could angle the eye and brow a bit outward, so that it makes his face look rounder. :-\

It's all so minor though imo. I still think you did a good job. Did you name Hastur after the fictional god, by the way?

Well thank you so very much, it's really nice to have a second opinion.  :)

No, my Hastur was not named after The King in Yellow and has no ties to him. I did not know of this god until after he was already named.

I also can't take full credit for Hastur and any of his family, which I may post more of in the future. They were created by a friend of mine and were given to me, already named. They all really mean a lot to me.

Pine Breeze the Griffon
[/spoiler]
[/center]

December 08, 2015, 05:10:16 AM
Reply #36
Well thank you so very much, it's really nice to have a second opinion.  :)

No, my Hastur was not named after The King in Yellow and has no ties to him. I did not know of this god until after he was already named.

I also can't take full credit for Hastur and any of his family, which I may post more of in the future. They were created by a friend of mine and were given to me, already named. They all really mean a lot to me.

A friend gave you characters? That was sweet :3

December 08, 2015, 04:29:35 PM
Reply #37
I love how you can do demi humans. I need to start drawing elves and other species.

December 13, 2015, 11:28:21 PM
Reply #38
A friend gave you characters? That was sweet :3

Very much so.  :)

I love how you can do demi humans. I need to start drawing elves and other species.

Thank you! I like a lot of humanoid races/creatures myself.

So I'm just going to post this here. Remember my drawing of "Topaz" in the first post? Here is her humanoid form. Or a bust at least, anyways.

I started drawing a picture of Topaz, but it turned out that I hated how it looked and I couldn't get it to look right so I completely erased it. Came back an hour or so later and tried again, and this is what I did. Trying to practice more with expressions.

Here's something I want to try. Post a random expression. Anything you can think of. First person to do so, I will ~attempt~ to draw either one of my characters or a random character with said expression. It might turn out really bad, but I want to give it a shot.

Pine Breeze the Griffon
[/spoiler]
[/center]

December 13, 2015, 11:43:33 PM
Reply #39
Very much so.  :)

Thank you! I like a lot of humanoid races/creatures myself.

So I'm just going to post this here. Remember my drawing of "Topaz" in the first post? Here is her humanoid form. Or a bust at least, anyways.

I started drawing a picture of Topaz, but it turned out that I hated how it looked and I couldn't get it to look right so I completely erased it. Came back an hour or so later and tried again, and this is what I did. Trying to practice more with expressions.

Here's something I want to try. Post a random expression. Anything you can think of. First person to do so, I will ~attempt~ to draw either one of my characters or a random character with said expression. It might turn out really bad, but I want to give it a shot.

Wow it's beautfiul Myr!

Well done! :)

Random expression? Try sadness or despair I guess?

EqF's CAH deck code: RDSS3

December 13, 2015, 11:50:52 PM
Reply #40
Wow it's beautfiul Myr!

Well done! :)

Random expression? Try sadness or despair I guess?

Thank you!

Sure, I'll give that expression a go the next time I sketch a character.  :)

Pine Breeze the Griffon
[/spoiler]
[/center]

December 14, 2015, 05:53:07 AM
Reply #41
Oooh wow. Topaz is really cute! :X

I like the expression you gave her as well.

Random expression: Arrogance

December 14, 2015, 04:07:15 PM
Reply #42

December 14, 2015, 08:53:37 PM
Reply #43
Oooh wow. Topaz is really cute! :X

I like the expression you gave her as well.

Random expression: Arrogance
Lovely, I can feel her rage!

Thank you both!

It seems I've pulled off the expression I was aiming for, haha. I just can't help but think that her eyes and mouth look really funny now the more that I look at her.  :o

Pine Breeze the Griffon
[/spoiler]
[/center]

December 14, 2015, 09:17:23 PM
Reply #44
It seems I've pulled off the expression I was aiming for, haha. I just can't help but think that her eyes and mouth look really funny now the more that I look at her.  :o

What aspect of her eyes seems off to you? With the mouth, perhaps her lower teeth are too large as well. Or is that her lower lip? Sorry if that sounds bad. My first thought was that her mouth is open wide as if she's yelling, bottom lip curled down to expose her lower row of teeth. Back to her eyes, I don't see any real problems. Maybe they could be angled differently? Overall, I think they look intense; you did a good job with her eyebrows as well. In all her face looks very feminine and attractive while also fiery and strong.

All that being said, if I had to give an honest critique, I think the mouth may be a bit too large but not by much.

December 15, 2015, 12:51:25 AM
Reply #45
I think it's mostly the mouth that I'm seeing the problem with, too. I think. The lower lip area could be brought up a little bit and flattened out, rather than curving with the shape of her chin. I'm not entirely sure.
It's also supposed to be her tongue there, not her lower row of teeth.  :monster:

For her eyes, I think they are angled properly for the most part, too. I think if anything, I'm just not really liking the style I drew them in.

Overall, I think they look intense; you did a good job with her eyebrows as well. In all her face looks very feminine and attractive while also fiery and strong.

I really appreciate this comment, though. This basically sums up how I want Topaz to look, so it makes me happy knowing I'm able to express that in my drawing.  :)

Pine Breeze the Griffon
[/spoiler]
[/center]

December 15, 2015, 05:42:55 AM
Reply #46
You ever thought of getting into animation?

December 15, 2015, 09:12:18 PM
Reply #47
You ever thought of getting into animation?

The thought of being able to animate is really cool, but I don't think I could ever be up to the task. I stress enough over trying to get face shapes and anatomy right in a single still picture, so I couldn't imagine trying to do that for a series of frames and making sure everything is lined up properly.

I do, however, want to try getting back into digital art. I was never really good at it to begin with, but I do have a new tablet that I've only used a couple times so far. So, no time like the present to start practicing, I guess...!  :-[
I just wish I could get the pen pressure sensitivity to work in Paint Tool SAI. I have photoshop as well, but SAI is a much smoother program for drawing imo and I remember having a blast using it a few years back.

Pine Breeze the Griffon
[/spoiler]
[/center]

December 16, 2015, 05:31:25 AM
Reply #48
That's cool. You do great work I'm hoping I can learn how make manga images quite like that.

December 18, 2015, 07:44:35 PM
Reply #49
That's cool. You do great work I'm hoping I can learn how make manga images quite like that.

Thank you! And I wish you the best of luck with your own drawings. I call tell you, it takes lots of practice. I'm still trying to master drawing anime/manga-like characters myself.

So here's what I came up with from using NightHelm's suggestion, which was drawing one of my characters expressing sadness.

"H-Hastur... Why?
Wh-why did you leave me...?"

"Amp... Ah, my dear Amp...
I'm so sorry..."

I think Amp turned out pretty well, and she was the main focus for the suggested expression.
Hastur, I can never, ever, seem to get you to look 100% right and it irritates me.  ::)

Pine Breeze the Griffon
[/spoiler]
[/center]