Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: What happened to bits?  (Read 4787 times)

October 27, 2015, 06:06:11 PM
Why are all my limited edition ponies gone?
"if all the stars in the sky are my enemy,
May they know that they are still not worthy opponents."

October 27, 2015, 06:07:22 PM
Reply #1
Why are all my limited edition ponies gone?

Bits? As in the in-show currency?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

EqF's CAH deck code: RDSS3

October 27, 2015, 06:10:58 PM
Reply #2
Bits? As in the in-show currency?

Yeah, we used to have it, I was a Member Plus, why is Member Plus gone?

October 27, 2015, 06:12:14 PM
Reply #3
Yeah, we used to have it, I was a Member Plus, why is Member Plus gone?

Hmm... seeing as I've never heard of this (I'm pretty new here) you might want to take it up with one of the mods or The Derpy One.

EqF's CAH deck code: RDSS3

October 27, 2015, 06:13:02 PM
Reply #4
Hmm... seeing as I've never heard of this (I'm pretty new here) you might want to take it up with one of the mods or The Derpy One.

I'm not upset, just curious.

October 27, 2015, 06:15:00 PM
Reply #5
I'm not upset, just curious.

Bits were removed via an earlier forum update.

Since they were getting to a point where they were pointless; pretty much the only thing being purchased were display name change passes. Forum members are now free to change their display name as many times as they want.
| 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 | Living Pokédex COMPLETED: 10/26/2017 |
| Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons and Pokémon Junkie | Graduate of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania -- Class of 2016 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."

October 27, 2015, 06:17:52 PM
Reply #6
Bits were removed via an earlier forum update.

Since they were getting to a point where they were pointless; pretty much the only thing being purchased were display name change passes. Forum members are now free to change their display name as many times as they want.

Why the removal of Member Plus?

October 27, 2015, 06:20:13 PM
Reply #7
Why the removal of Member Plus?

It was gone for quite a while before Dashell decided it's not worth the trouble and M+ was finito.
| Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons and Pokémon Junkie | Graduate of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania -- Class of 2016 |

October 27, 2015, 06:33:00 PM
Reply #8
Yeah, as Tails said, Member Plus was seen as redundant for a long time (it was very easy to obtain it, and it was effectively pointless since the Member Plus board was dead and the ability to add emoticons was abused quite a lot) and Dashell had been struggling to find a good use for bits or the shop, so in the end we decided to axe it. The old Member Plus board can still be seen in the Archives but the shop itself was removed via a board update.

October 27, 2015, 06:36:29 PM
Reply #9
Yeah, as Tails said, Member Plus was seen as redundant for a long time (it was very easy to obtain it, and it was effectively pointless since the Member Plus board was dead and the ability to add emoticons was abused quite a lot) and Dashell had been struggling to find a good use for bits or the shop, so in the end we decided to axe it. The old Member Plus board can still be seen in the Archives but the shop itself was removed via a board update.

And there were just so many members clamoring to become a M+ despite the fact the M+ Board was dead for months at the time of the removal of Member Plus.

October 27, 2015, 06:37:54 PM
Reply #10

I spent weeks buying up all the dolls simply to have ALL of them. The completionist in me is dissapointed.

October 27, 2015, 06:39:21 PM
Reply #11
And there were just so many members clamoring to become a M+ despite the fact the M+ Board was dead for months at the time of the removal of Member Plus.

That too! At the end of the day, Member Plus just became something of a "badge of honour" rather than anything meaningful, and I do recall quite a bit of negativity surrounding it, especially when the shop was out of stock of Member Plus subscriptions in the Dashellian era and newer members felt some resentment towards those "in the club". I don't really miss it.

October 27, 2015, 06:47:15 PM
Reply #12
That too! At the end of the day, Member Plus just became something of a "badge of honour" rather than anything meaningful, and I do recall quite a bit of negativity surrounding it, especially when the shop was out of stock of Member Plus subscriptions in the Dashellian era and newer members felt some resentment towards those "in the club". I don't really miss it.

I remember when I was handed the Member Plus by Info back in the day, that was the deciding moment that made me feel like I was a part of the community. Call it an American sentiment, but the feeling of working my way up the ladder and into acceptance is like, the hallmark of success.

October 27, 2015, 06:53:15 PM
Reply #13
I remember when I was handed the Member Plus by Info back in the day, that was the deciding moment that made me feel like I was a part of the community. Call it an American sentiment, but the feeling of working my way up the ladder and into acceptance is like, the hallmark of success.

I'll call it an American sentiment. :p

I get what you mean, I was awarded my Member Plus too (by Icarus) and it was a nice feeling, but at the end of the day, the cons outweighed the pros and I do think that doing away with it, unless anyone could think of a practical purpose for it (which no-one could) was the right decision. What you say about how you felt "accepted" by the community when you received Member Plus membership says it all, actually... people who couldn't earn that privilege felt isolated from the rest of the community through no fault of their own, and we like to think that everyone here should be part of the forum community with no real "tiers", it's one reason why I've always tried to oppose the sentiment that the staff have any sort of special hierarchy over anyone else.

October 27, 2015, 06:59:50 PM
Reply #14
I'll call it an American sentiment. :p

I get what you mean, I was awarded my Member Plus too (by Icarus) and it was a nice feeling, but at the end of the day, the cons outweighed the pros and I do think that doing away with it, unless anyone could think of a practical purpose for it (which no-one could) was the right decision. What you say about how you felt "accepted" by the community when you received Member Plus membership says it all, actually... people who couldn't earn that privilege felt isolated from the rest of the community through no fault of their own, and we like to think that everyone here should be part of the forum community with no real "tiers", it's one reason why I've always tried to oppose the sentiment that the staff have any sort of special hierarchy over anyone else.

I used to be a member of a Forum before this one called Saiyan Island. I think they handled it best, your rank was directly associated with your non-spam posts. Acting as less of a rank and more of a quick reference of the most veteran members. After all, simply lurking doesn't make you a member, and because you didn't get any special privilages, no one ever really fought for it, it was just natural.
Not saying you should change, just talking about it.

October 27, 2015, 08:08:38 PM
Reply #15
I used to be a member of a Forum before this one called Saiyan Island. I think they handled it best, your rank was directly associated with your non-spam posts. Acting as less of a rank and more of a quick reference of the most veteran members. After all, simply lurking doesn't make you a member, and because you didn't get any special privilages, no one ever really fought for it, it was just natural.
Not saying you should change, just talking about it.
This is actually something I've considered bringing up. I've been on other forums with "ranks" like that, which was literally just a couple of words that appeared under your username, that showed how many posts you've made in non-spam subforums. No one ever fought about it or anything, it was just something that ended up happening the more you posted. I'm not sure if it's something we'll ever implement here, but perhaps it will be discussed.
Ask me anything!

Skype: sinceritystar | AIM: xcatxstarx | PSN: Atiqua | XBL: Aviendra

October 27, 2015, 08:10:54 PM
Reply #16
A ranking system sounds like a cool idea, but how would it be implemented here on EqF?

October 27, 2015, 08:17:18 PM
Reply #17
A ranking system sounds like a cool idea, but how would it be implemented here on EqF?
I have no idea what the titles would be, so I'm just going to use pony names. So let's say that you have 5000 non-spam forum posts (not hard to calculate, as spam posts don't count towards post count anyway). Then instead of "member" under your name, it would say "Twilight Sparkle". If you have 10000 posts, it would say "Princess Luna". 20000, "Princess Celestia". Something like that. It would take some thought as to what titles to use (maybe things like "resident of Ponyville", "Wonderbolt", "Royal guard"?), but it wouldn't be hard to implement, I don't think. Then again, I don't do the technical stuff on the forum, so I have no clue!
Ask me anything!

Skype: sinceritystar | AIM: xcatxstarx | PSN: Atiqua | XBL: Aviendra

October 27, 2015, 08:26:00 PM
Reply #18
I have no idea what the titles would be, so I'm just going to use pony names. So let's say that you have 5000 non-spam forum posts (not hard to calculate, as spam posts don't count towards post count anyway). Then instead of "member" under your name, it would say "Twilight Sparkle". If you have 10000 posts, it would say "Princess Luna". 20000, "Princess Celestia". Something like that. It would take some thought as to what titles to use (maybe things like "resident of Ponyville", "Wonderbolt", "Royal guard"?), but it wouldn't be hard to implement, I don't think. Then again, I don't do the technical stuff on the forum, so I have no clue!

Yeah that makes sense now with some explanation.

I'm on a forum that has user titles; but there are only three:

- Member: You have this title until you make 5,000 non-Spam posts.
- Advanced Member: You have this title after making your 5,000th non-Spam post and hold it until you make 10,000 non-Spam posts.
- Elite Member: You get this title after making your 10,000th non-Spam post.

October 27, 2015, 08:29:35 PM
Reply #19
On there they used the Naruto ninja ranks like genie and jounin. I think second set, the titles, make more sense then, with the highest levels being things like "royalty" or "alicorn".
I'm not going too far am I? I'm just entertaining thoughts here.

October 27, 2015, 10:03:59 PM
Reply #20
Sorry to jump in here at random  :P

On there they used the Naruto ninja ranks like genie and jounin. I think second set, the titles, make more sense then, with the highest levels being things like "royalty" or "alicorn".
I'm not going too far am I? I'm just entertaining thoughts here.
I definitely think using ranks pertaining to MLP would be best, as opposed to general titles. And I'm definitely down for a system like this.

Unless the source code has a problem with it, which I can't see being the case since the forum already tracks post count.

Perhaps it could also be given a prefix based on Posts Per Day? So like, say you have 5000 posts, bam you're a freaking Alicorn, but if you only post once per day (don't ask how 5000 posts once a day is possible, it's an example) it's just "Regular Alicorn" but if your PPD is 6.5 or some such it'd be "Loyal Alicorn" or something not as terrible as my naming scheme.

Again, just entertaining ideas like yourself  :P
Also heh, been awhile since seeing you 'round here, welcome back!

October 27, 2015, 10:10:41 PM
Reply #21
Sorry to jump in here at random  :P
I definitely think using ranks pertaining to MLP would be best, as opposed to general titles. And I'm definitely down for a system like this.

Unless the source code has a problem with it, which I can't see being the case since the forum already tracks post count.

Perhaps it could also be given a prefix based on Posts Per Day? So like, say you have 5000 posts, bam you're a freaking Alicorn, but if you only post once per day (don't ask how 5000 posts once a day is possible, it's an example) it's just "Regular Alicorn" but if your PPD is 6.5 or some such it'd be "Loyal Alicorn" or something not as terrible as my naming scheme.

Again, just entertaining ideas like yourself  :P
Also heh, been awhile since seeing you 'round here, welcome back!

I'm actually very glad to be back, and I'm glad people like the idea. Maybe I was right to ask questions.
I like the posts per day sub title.

October 28, 2015, 02:31:52 AM
Reply #22
This is actually something I've considered bringing up. I've been on other forums with "ranks" like that, which was literally just a couple of words that appeared under your username, that showed how many posts you've made in non-spam subforums. No one ever fought about it or anything, it was just something that ended up happening the more you posted. I'm not sure if it's something we'll ever implement here, but perhaps it will be discussed.

I would be skeptical. One of the things that I think makes this forum particularly welcoming is that post counts (or tiers based on post counts) are NOT shown next to each posting you make. Yes, they can be found, but having them hidden away a bit is a positive quality in my opinion.

This way you can just show up and start acting like you belong, and pretty soon you will find that you DO belong. And you don't get your low-post-count status shoved in the face each time you post.

The fact that people don't talk about the ranking don't mean that they have no effect on the welcomingness of the forum. People don't need to talk about the ranking when the forum software is displaying them all of the time anyway.
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

October 28, 2015, 02:57:30 AM
Reply #23
I would be skeptical. One of the things that I think makes this forum particularly welcoming is that post counts (or tiers based on post counts) are NOT shown next to each posting you make. Yes, they can be found, but having them hidden away a bit is a positive quality in my opinion.

This way you can just show up and start acting like you belong, and pretty soon you will find that you DO belong. And you don't get your low-post-count status shoved in the face each time you post.

The fact that people don't talk about the ranking don't mean that they have no effect on the welcomingness of the forum. People don't need to talk about the ranking when the forum software is displaying them all of the time anyway.

I feel this is like a gym. There are two types of gyms, and therefor two different types of people. One side of them believes they're going here in hopes to find others like them, that means if someone else shows more improvement or status then them, they feel intimidated, we call the gyms that cater to these people Planet Fitness. Now by the contrary, there is another gym, that for lack of any others that come to mind we'll call Dinardo's Fitness. In this other gym, people are encouraged to be inspired by they're acomplished peers with stories of how they made it to the top. These are two very different mind sets. And I would argue that their benefits to health are different but that would ruin the metaphor. I prefer a "Dinardo" Forum. You prefer a "Planet" Forum. Both are working models. Mine more traditional and well-tested, yours new and successful, now it just comes down to popularity.

October 28, 2015, 03:21:24 AM
Reply #24
My personal opinion for why it would potentially be good is because of a little word known as "rewards".

Hypothetical scenario START!

Say a new member shows up. They make an intro thread and then maybe one or two posts in the new episode thread and How Was Your Day.
Two weeks and 12 posts later, they disappear.
... This happens a lot.

If, however, you are physically rewarded for posting, suddenly those two weeks of dredging around the forum looking for a place to frequent, 12 posts is now 56 posts and a title labeled "Earnest Wonderbolt Trainee".

Basically, people like rewards and achievements. And if getting one requires minimal effort, they're gonna go for it. In doing so they'll hypothetically meet members and unintentionally become used to the community.

The only real problem I see this causing would be members spamming boards with posts attempting to farm the rewards. Though this is easily managed.