Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: What happened to bits?  (Read 4607 times)

October 28, 2015, 03:01:32 PM
Reply #50
Now why would forbidding people to see forum stats being a thing? I'm curious.

You misread, I mean
("We" the population, do not require "you" as a requirement or key, to a complies the task that is simply looking at forum stats.
"if all the stars in the sky are my enemy,
May they know that they are still not worthy opponents."

October 28, 2015, 03:07:18 PM
Reply #51
("We" the population, do not require "you" as a requirement or key, to a complies the task that is simply looking at forum stats.

I was not aware that the forum stats show how many people chose NOTto join the forum, much less why they made this choice.

My professional opinion as a software engineer would be that it is categorically impossible for forum software to collect that information.
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

October 28, 2015, 03:24:51 PM
Reply #52
How will you know which problems it causes?
(A) Any significant drop in new user's post count would be a pretty telling sign. (B) New user sign up halting entirely would be another, though considering how common it is for forums to do similar things I don't think is a feasible expectation. Lastly would be existing members posting less/leaving because of it, which considering it's a test period being requested, would be highly unlikely and honestly pretty short sighted to leave because of a test that will be disbanded in the event that scenarios A or B take place.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

October 28, 2015, 03:26:32 PM
Reply #53
I was not aware that the forum stats show how many people chose NOTto join the forum, much less why they made this choice.

My professional opinion as a software engineer would be that it is categorically impossible for forum software to collect that information.

No, but if MORE/LESS people join then before, than we can see the negative space. If you feel the need than you can even count the percent to visitors.

October 28, 2015, 03:35:50 PM
Reply #54
No, but if MORE/LESS people join then before, than we can see the negative space. If you feel the need than you can even count the percent to visitors.

There are only a few new users per week arriving currently. It would take a long time for any statistically significant difference to show up, and it would be completely impossible to disentangle it from other causes of variation in interest.
OC descriptions here

October 28, 2015, 03:39:12 PM
Reply #55
There are only a few new users per week arriving currently. It would take a long time for any statistically significant difference to show up, and it would be completely impossible to disentangle it from other causes of variation in interest.
Then if what your saying is true, then it still holds the original trait; popularity. It should be put to vote, as the only remaining deciding factors are sentiment.

October 28, 2015, 03:50:21 PM
Reply #56
The old Member Plus board can still be seen in the Archives

Hmm, if it is there, it must be with staff-only visibility. (For whatever that's worth).

Then if what your saying is true, then it still holds the original trait; popularity. It should be put to vote, as the only remaining deciding factors are sentiment.

Except we're not a democracy. We're an enlightened monarchy where the admin decides, based on what he thinks matches his vision for the forum -- utilizing, but not being bound by, the advice of the population.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 03:55:49 PM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here

October 28, 2015, 04:00:14 PM
Reply #57
Alright everyone, let's try and remain civil. Passionate debate is good but remember we're all ultimately on the same side here, so try not to let things escalate unnecessarily. Assume good faith and don't jump to conclusions about what people are saying. This goes for everyone.

I'm looking at what everyone is saying and I'm not about to do anything to dramatically upset the balance of the board, but a lot of good points have been raised here so we'll definitely think about what we can do. Having post-based member tiers - just a title, no special privileges - is something we can do, and we're looking at the pros and cons of such a system, but trust me when I say that I strongly oppose the idea of there being any sort of elitism among older or more active members. We're looking into it and all of your points in this thread are being considered. Have faith.

Hmm, if it is there, it must be with staff-only visibility. (For whatever that's worth).

This should be fixed, thanks for pointing that out.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

October 28, 2015, 04:03:38 PM
Reply #58
Just to note, I can totally see the member plus stuff. Maybe it's because I was one?

October 28, 2015, 04:17:01 PM
Reply #59
Just to note, I can totally see the member plus stuff. Maybe it's because I was one?

Now I see it too. It even seems I can post (or at least I get "Reply" buttons). Perhaps the same auto-lock feature that's active in the Trash section should be applied there?

(Edit: Now it is).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 04:27:42 PM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here

October 31, 2015, 01:46:26 AM
Reply #60
It also still says "bits" on the side, under avatars, which is odd. Any plans to change that? :P

November 25, 2015, 05:41:51 PM
Reply #61
I'M OUTRAGED, THAT WAS MY LIFE'S SAVINGS