Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: Limit Signature Sizes  (Read 1246 times)

July 25, 2015, 08:31:24 PM
can we maybe have a rule about how big your signature is allowed to be? I'm talking file size, like nothing larger than 700 KB for example. not everyone can have fast internet speeds, which means most pages can take a while to load.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:35:50 PM by Pinkie Pie »

July 25, 2015, 10:46:03 PM
Reply #1
can we maybe have a rule about how big your signature is allowed to be? I'm talking file size, like nothing larger than 700 KB for example. not everyone can have fast internet speeds, which means most pages can take a while to load.
You can turn off Signatures in your account options. I can't really vouch for limiting file sizes, these days if a single image isn't 1MB then it's low quality.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

July 26, 2015, 12:54:27 AM
Reply #2
I would support a size cap on signitures

Snowy Flanks

July 26, 2015, 02:22:24 PM
Reply #3
700KB is a nice number. Usually, to comply with the image sizes through the forum rules, the sizes are shrunk. In turn, the image sizes shrink.

But, that may not always be the case.
| 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 | Living Pokédex COMPLETED: 10/26/2017 |
| Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons and Pokémon Junkie | Graduate of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania -- Class of 2016 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."

July 26, 2015, 08:34:32 PM
Reply #4
You can turn off Signatures in your account options. I can't really vouch for limiting file sizes, these days if a single image isn't 1MB then it's low quality.
but I don't want to disable them. :monster:

700KB is a nice number. Usually, to comply with the image sizes through the forum rules, the sizes are shrunk. In turn, the image sizes shrink.

But, that may not always be the case.

that's what I was thinking. shrink your image some, and in turn retain the quality and lower the file size.

July 27, 2015, 03:00:19 AM
Reply #5
700KB really isn't a lot either way. Any 2 second GIF file is usually around 1MB alone. And considering a vast amount of users use GIFs, well, yeah.. Not to mention PNG files typically hit around 1MB alone

If a file size limit is considered it can't be such a miniscule amount considering there are users currently with signature sizes at 6-7MBs just from me taking a look around. 700KB is 10-12% of what a lot of people are currently using.

but I don't want to disable them. :monster:
I've been on limited internet connection before, and INCREDIBLY slow connections at that. I don't like disabling signatures either but I mean, limiting file sizes to such an extent for a shrinking number of people on low coverage is a bit of overkill "solution" when an option already exists for slow internet connections. If pages are loading slowly, I mean, it's there.

July 27, 2015, 09:54:43 PM
Reply #6
so basically it's "if you have a slow internet connect, it sucks to be you"? :\

July 27, 2015, 10:48:44 PM
Reply #7
so basically it's "if you have a slow internet connect, it sucks to be you"? :\
Rather, if you have a slow internet connection, one should be aware of its limitations.

My main issue with the limitation remains that 700KB is a tiny amount.

July 29, 2015, 01:57:49 PM
Reply #8
it doesn't necessarily have to be 700KB, that was just an example. I was thinking more like 1MB or something along those lines.

July 29, 2015, 04:04:10 PM
Reply #9
it doesn't necessarily have to be 700KB, that was just an example. I was thinking more like 1MB or something along those lines.

I would personally lean somewhere close to 700KB. Anywhere from 800 to 1MB would be okay for signature image sizes.
| 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 | Living Pokédex COMPLETED: 10/26/2017 |
| Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons and Pokémon Junkie | Graduate of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania -- Class of 2016 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."