Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: Defacing one's own user name  (Read 1183 times)

July 25, 2015, 04:46:28 AM
Every once in a while someone will ragequit the forums and announce it by changing their user name to be a parting message. This can be of varying civility, ranging from "I'm gone, please ignore me" to "Fuck all of you". But no matter where on that scale it falls, it makes it needlessly difficult to figure out who said what when reading old discussions. One member even changed their display name to the empty string, making it very difficult to even click through to their profile to figure out the actual authorship of an old post.

Of course it is everyone's right to leave the forum, and if they're leaving anyway it wouldn't make sense for the mods to attempt to punish this behavior.

Still, could we perhaps have a policy that if someone with a significant posting history leaves the forum while defacing their username, the moderators will quietly change their username back to the name they're commonly known by to those who're still here?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 04:49:56 AM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

July 25, 2015, 05:00:09 AM
Reply #1
Hm... Not a bad idea actually. I'd be down for this.
Any input from others perhaps?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

July 25, 2015, 07:39:47 AM
Reply #2
That makes sense. I was thinking of inspecting the display name changes more closely.
| 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 | Living Pokédex COMPLETED: 10/26/2017 |
| Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons and Pokémon Junkie | Graduate of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania -- Class of 2016 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."

July 25, 2015, 10:42:52 AM
Reply #3
I think this is a good idea, I dont like having to try and find why the poster is so angry and seems to be popular

Snowy Flanks

July 25, 2015, 05:53:39 PM
Reply #4
I think this is a good idea, I dont like having to try and find why the poster is so angry and seems to be popular
Same. Also I don't think it's nice to have random "fuck you" usernames around. Gives a bad vibe.
[spoiler]
Red for the bloodshed and struggle for freedom.
Blue for the Indian Ocean, in the middle of which Mauritius is situated.
Yellow for the new light of independence shining over the island.
Green for its lush vegetation and its colour throughout the year.

July 26, 2015, 01:14:40 AM
Reply #5
Yeah, I think this is a great idea.

<3[/spoiler]

July 26, 2015, 02:05:03 PM
Reply #6
Considering somebody changed 007's name I assume it's a rule now  :monster:

July 26, 2015, 02:14:10 PM
Reply #7
I think that this is a great idea, so thanks for the idea Henning, and everyone else for your thoughts and input! It's hard enough keeping up with who's who on the board (though disabling the ability to change names completely would likely be, shall we say, unpopular) without what feel like passive-aggressive jabs at people when members depart for whatever reason.

I'm not sure which of us changed Sev's username but thank you to whoever got there first!

We actually have a rule about keeping usernames family-friendly and free of explicit language anyway, so having "fuck you" or whatever in your username is a big no-no regardless of context.

July 26, 2015, 02:19:44 PM
Reply #8
Maybe we should institute/install a display name-changing system. So we can pass name changes that are within the rules and reject those that are in violation, or are just mean-spirited, etc.

I mean; I feel like this can be worked out and solved. I don't want to see what's supposed to be a freedom squelched because some abused the system and forced everyone to pay the price. Inadvertently or on purpose.
| 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 | Living Pokédex COMPLETED: 10/26/2017 |
| Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons and Pokémon Junkie | Graduate of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania -- Class of 2016 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."

July 26, 2015, 02:30:43 PM
Reply #9
Maybe we should institute/install a display name-changing system. So we can pass name changes that are within the rules and reject those that are in violation, or are just mean-spirited, etc.

I mean; I feel like this can be worked out and solved. I don't want to see what's supposed to be a freedom squelched because some abused the system and forced everyone to pay the price. Inadvertently or on purpose.

That's a fair idea... back when Member Plus was a thing, you technically had to earn enough bits to buy the right to change your name once, but since bits were so common that they were effectively meaningless it ended up with all but the absolute newest members being able to freely change their name anyway.

I don't know if it's really worth setting up a system where people request name changes from staff since we've not had that much of a problem with it, and from what I can see it's easy enough to keep on top of the occasional problematic username... there have been a few instances over the last couple of years but nothing that we're struggling to stay on top of.

July 26, 2015, 03:00:19 PM
Reply #10
Excellent! I've reported a few other accounts that should be covered by this. (edit: they've been renamed already, that was quick!)

There are also a "nopony, please leave me alone" and a "not on this forum anymore LOLOLOL", but they don't have extensive posting histories, so it may not be worth the trouble to rename them. Though it might be, just so that running across the names in the member list will not lead others to think it is a good way to quit. (edit edit: they're gone now too)

I don't know if it's really worth setting up a system where people request name changes from staff since we've not had that much of a problem with it, and from what I can see it's easy enough to keep on top of the occasional problematic username... there have been a few instances over the last couple of years but nothing that we're struggling to stay on top of.

Yeah, sounds a bit like rules creep.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 03:13:38 PM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

July 26, 2015, 04:42:42 PM
Reply #11
back when Member Plus was a thing, you technically had to earn enough bits to buy the right to change your name once

I stockpiled them, considering I tend to change mine to Princess Celestia and back quite frequently.
 :monster: