Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: Leaving message  (Read 1798 times)

June 06, 2015, 05:02:42 PM
Oops, I did it again. Ugh.  :ugh:

When writing long posts/PMs, I tend to pause and open up a few tabs to check out other websites, and then I often forget momentarily that I was writing something and click all the tabs away. Which means everything I typed is gone.

Is there a way to make a 'Are you sure you want to leave EqF?' message appear when a writing page is open and you click away, to avoid this?

xoxo
To love another person is to see the face of God

June 06, 2015, 05:16:23 PM
Reply #1
I select to be logged in forever and it will keep me from losing my message.

June 06, 2015, 05:35:04 PM
Reply #2
I'm logged in forever too, how does that work?

June 06, 2015, 05:42:58 PM
Reply #3
You mean like a "Save Draft" function?
| 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 | Living Pokédex COMPLETED: 10/26/2017 |
| Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons and Pokémon Junkie | Graduate of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania -- Class of 2016 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."

June 06, 2015, 05:47:44 PM
Reply #4

That might help, but not exactly. Something that prevents you from leaving a page you're typing on.

June 06, 2015, 05:55:24 PM
Reply #5

No, it's a window.onbeforeunload Javascript handler, which allows a page to intercept any attempt to navigate away from it (whether by clicking on a link, or by closing the tab, or closing the browser window) will show a confirmation dialog.

For an example, go to http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/ask and mash some keys in the question box, then close the tab without submitting the question. In most browsers you will get a popup asking if you really want to lose your masterpiece.
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

June 06, 2015, 06:13:32 PM
Reply #6
This sounds like a good idea. I can't imagine why anyone would have an issue with this, if it only affects those who are halfway through typing a message, so if it's possible then I'll look into what I can. Henning, your technical know-how may be required, hopefully you don't mind too much...!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

June 06, 2015, 06:32:29 PM
Reply #7
This sounds like a good idea. I can't imagine why anyone would have an issue with this, if it only affects those who are halfway through typing a message, so if it's possible then I'll look into what I can. Henning, your technical know-how may be required, hopefully you don't mind too much...!

Sure thing, guv'nor, I'll add it to my list right after "get buddy/ignore list UI to work again". :monster:

I had a quick peek through the list of supported mods for SMF 2.0.10, and it doesn't look like there's any already existing one that does it. Probably wouldn't be terribly hard to make one that works for just the full posting and PM composition pages (so editing signatures and whatnot would not be protected, as well as the quick reply box) -- but do you have enough access to install new mods?
OC descriptions here

June 06, 2015, 06:36:26 PM
Reply #8
Thaaaanks!!

Btw, Henning, you'll get that reply tomorrow or something, when I feel up to writing it again.  :monster:

June 06, 2015, 06:38:27 PM
Reply #9
Sure thing, guv'nor, I'll add it to my list right after "get buddy/ignore list UI to work again". :monster:

I had a quick peek through the list of supported mods for SMF 2.0.10, and it doesn't look like there's any already existing one that does it. Probably wouldn't be terribly hard to make one that works for just the full posting and PM composition pages (so editing signatures and whatnot would not be protected, as well as the quick reply box) -- but do you have enough access to install new mods?

I do indeed have the ability to install mods, I took a look at SMF mods myself and couldn't find anything either, but that sounds like a solid plan, since it sounds as though you at least have a good understanding of what would go into this... goodness, I do sound clueless, I know, but I guess this is what contractors are for! I'll make it up to you somehow, believe me, your many contributions to the board are not unrecognised!

June 06, 2015, 07:01:55 PM
Reply #10
I do indeed have the ability to install mods, I took a look at SMF mods myself and couldn't find anything either, but that sounds like a solid plan, since it sounds as though you at least have a good understanding of what would go into this... goodness, I do sound clueless, I know, but I guess this is what contractors are for! I'll make it up to you somehow, believe me, your many contributions to the board are not unrecognised!

Well, I think I have a fairly solid understanding what needs to be done at the HTML/Javascript level, but figuring out exactly how one packs that up nicely as an SMF mod will be a bit of an adventure. Effort estimate: More than an afternoon, but I'll keep it in mind for a rainy day or two.

Btw, Henning, you'll get that reply tomorrow or something, when I feel up to writing it again.

I had an inkling. :P Did the which-is-flattest tangent throw you into research mode?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:12:00 AM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here

June 08, 2015, 07:39:12 AM
Reply #11
By the way, at least in Firefox, if you accidentally close the tab with an unsent message in it, resurrecting it with Shift+Ctrl+T will also resurrect the textbox content.
OC descriptions here

June 09, 2015, 10:36:19 PM
Reply #12
By the way, at least in Firefox, if you accidentally close the tab with an unsent message in it, resurrecting it with Shift+Ctrl+T will also resurrect the textbox content.
yeah, you can do the same thing in Chrome. just tested it. :monster:

June 10, 2015, 09:09:38 AM
Reply #13
Writing long post, accidentally closed the tab?

Use this mod:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2621

It's contain auto-save. After install the mod, go to Admin -> Forum -> Post & Topics -> Post Settings -> set seconds of "How often should posts be autosaved?".

Tested on my forum and works perfectly, mine was set to 120 seconds.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 09:18:57 AM by Chillarmy »

June 25, 2015, 05:48:16 PM
Reply #14
 :awesomonster:  :monster:  :Facehoof:

So, I did it again.

The Ctrl+Shift+T works really well if I've accidentally closed the tab, thanks for that tip! But this time I accidentally clicked the banner while typing, and I got directed to the main forum page. When I clicked to go back to the previous page, my message was gone. Help me to stop being an idiot.

:'(

June 30, 2015, 08:15:10 PM
Reply #15
ok, that's odd. as an experiment, i clicked the reply button to this thread, typed "howdy", clicked the link to take me back to the home page, then clicked back and my message still said "howdy. i did the same thing with a PM and using the quick response thing with the same results

the banner also isn't clickable for me so maybe it's been fixed

i doubt that was any help whatsoever, but my only other suggestion would be to try using browser history, on the logic that when i close firefox altogether, close down the computer or anything like that, and then restore my last session, any messages i was writing are usually still in tact. one thing, when i ran this experiment my "howdy" disappeared

that would piss me off though. of course, one obvious solution would be to use a WP and copy paste. maybe you just got unlucky though. i have no clue

gonna remember that shift crt T thing though
humty dumty sat on the wall
humty dumty had a great fall
humty stood up and rubbed her head
....humty dumty was never an egg
[/spoiler]
nothing can stop the spooge