Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: Forum Was Hacked Megapost  (Read 7807 times)

April 08, 2015, 02:45:55 PM
Reply #25
Yeah, since Dashell resigned, the Tumblr method has become sort of moot.

We really should get SOMETHING up and running.

What would people prefer though? Facebook, Twitter, new Tumblr account, etc, etc?
Honestly I'd prefer to stay away from Twitter.

If that's the case with Twitter, then we should set up a Facebook page.
| 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 | Living Pokédex COMPLETED: 10/26/2017 |
| Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons and Pokémon Junkie | Graduate of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania -- Class of 2016 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."

April 08, 2015, 02:50:14 PM
Reply #26
If that's the case with Twitter, then we should set up a Facebook page.
That's what I'm thinking would be best, especially since virtually everybody at least HAS a Facebook account.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

April 08, 2015, 02:51:49 PM
Reply #27
That's what I'm thinking would be best, especially since virtually everybody at least HAS a Facebook account.

Except me. :monster:
3DS Friendcode:
2320-6225-0063
EqF Discord Server

Show By Rock!! ID: 784396951
Add me or something.

My Lobi Profile

Your mother was chair making tools. :monster:
[/quote]
goes sleepy*
[/center]
[/spoiler]

April 08, 2015, 02:54:52 PM
Reply #28
Fair enough  :monster:

I'm thinking Facebook be the main go to thing but have a new Tumblr to get important notices out for site downtime.
Unless the vast majority of us have Tumblrs, then just Tumblr for the main site and forget about facebunk. But judging from the messages the old EqF Tumblr got I don't feel as though that's the case.

April 08, 2015, 03:32:56 PM
Reply #29
The thing with tumblr is you can see a tumblr blog even if you're not a member of tumblr. With facebook I think you have to be friends or a member of a group (and I wouldn't want a public/open group there in fear of trolls and anti-MLP peeps).
I think if we gave more coverage to a tumblr account here (a sticky thread?) then people could bookmark the tumblr account and go look at it if we go down. I know that myself, Derpy, Sincerity, and Colgate all have tumblrs already so perhaps we could make a tumblr that all staff members could use just in case?

I'm open to suggestions but I know tumblr quite well and would be happy to set it up if everyone is game with that idea.

April 08, 2015, 03:33:26 PM
Reply #30
Fair enough  :monster:

I'm thinking Facebook be the main go to thing but have a new Tumblr to get important notices out for site downtime.
Unless the vast majority of us have Tumblrs, then just Tumblr for the main site and forget about facebunk. But judging from the messages the old EqF Tumblr got I don't feel as though that's the case.

Maybe hosting a poll about most of the popular websites in new thread could be a good idea. Or not, I'm not sure how many would take the time to answer.

April 08, 2015, 03:37:57 PM
Reply #31
Maybe hosting a poll about most of the popular websites in new thread could be a good idea. Or not, I'm not sure how many would take the time to answer.
Poll could be a good idea!

Even if not a lot of people answer, at least they had the choice to.

April 08, 2015, 03:51:16 PM
Reply #32

That depends on how much the word is spread around the forum.

I feel like having multiple spots (ie. Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) would be best in this situation. Having multiple outposts in which we can send out the word in case anything happens in multiple ways.
| 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 | Living Pokédex COMPLETED: 10/26/2017 |
| Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons and Pokémon Junkie | Graduate of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania -- Class of 2016 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."

April 08, 2015, 04:13:47 PM
Reply #33
I have all of them... Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, etc. so for me any is fine. Do consider my IRC channel suggestion too though, which would also be a nice way for ponies on this forum to meet more directly really.

April 08, 2015, 04:39:06 PM
Reply #34
I have all of them... Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, etc. so for me any is fine. Do consider my IRC channel suggestion too though, which would also be a nice way for ponies on this forum to meet more directly really.
Could be interesting, and I'm down for something like that, though I don't feel it solves the Site Downtime Silence issue. Perhaps throw up a new thread in Suggestions?

April 08, 2015, 04:50:16 PM
Reply #35
livejournal?

i think its fairly easy to hide away, and has the advantage of not being the first place one would check. make a community, give it a non pony sounding name, set privacy settings accordingly, roberts your fathers bro :P
humty dumty sat on the wall
humty dumty had a great fall
humty stood up and rubbed her head
....humty dumty was never an egg
[/spoiler]
nothing can stop the spooge

April 08, 2015, 05:47:38 PM
Reply #36
livejournal?
RSS feeds :monster:
They're everywhere, like sand.

April 08, 2015, 06:00:29 PM
Reply #37

And me. :ppcute:

The thing with tumblr is you can see a tumblr blog even if you're not a member of tumblr. With facebook I think you have to be friends or a member of a group (and I wouldn't want a public/open group there in fear of trolls and anti-MLP peeps).
I think if we gave more coverage to a tumblr account here (a sticky thread?) then people could bookmark the tumblr account and go look at it if we go down. I know that myself, Derpy, Sincerity, and Colgate all have tumblrs already so perhaps we could make a tumblr that all staff members could use just in case?

I'm open to suggestions but I know tumblr quite well and would be happy to set it up if everyone is game with that idea.

I think this would be a good idea.

<3[/spoiler]

April 08, 2015, 06:03:06 PM
Reply #38
I'm okay with the tumblr idea too.
Avatar pic provided by bumbrwby12 on twitter.
Sign Image provided by Andrew's Miitopia playthrough.

April 08, 2015, 06:06:10 PM
Reply #39
Yay  :D Scary when I came on on Friday/Saturday and went from "wut?" to "aww f-" in a matter of seconds.

And is the forum definitely back in order? It's probably a different method, but when a larger forum I used was hacked using an admin account, users who changed passwords had to change them again as it hadn't quite been purged until a few days later. Luckily I'm fairly certain I used a unique password on here, as I didn't want other possible hacks causing troubles on here  :P

The one positive was to get my mind on things I finally started Fantasy Life.
:scootawat
:scootablank :scootasad :scootawink :scootehehehe :scootwhoa :scottastarryeyed :scootgrin

I am not whining, I am complaining

This post comes with a free frogurt

April 08, 2015, 06:06:18 PM
Reply #40
i think its fairly easy to hide away, and has the advantage of not being the first place one would check. make a community, give it a non pony sounding name, set privacy settings accordingly, roberts your fathers bro :P

Um, why would we want to hide it away? On the contrary, such an "assembly point" must be easily findable for a member who didn't bother to take notes and suddenly finds himself unable to look up in the forum itself how to find it.

I'm okay with the tumblr idea too.

Tumblr has the advantage over Facebook that you don't need to register an account to read and keep informed.
(It still kills the browser on one of my computers, but the other one survives long enough to get the most recent news).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:09:39 PM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

April 08, 2015, 06:19:43 PM
Reply #41
So far looks like things on leaning towards Tumblr, which I'm more than okay with  :-X

And I guess I was wrong with everybody having a Facebook  :lol:

April 08, 2015, 06:21:34 PM
Reply #42
I'd like to support a new Equestria Forums tumblr. I'm on there all the time (Thanks to my ask pony blog(/s))

April 08, 2015, 08:52:36 PM
Reply #43

I only have mine because my grandma asked me...

I feel like having multiple spots (ie. Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) would be best in this situation. Having multiple outposts in which we can send out the word in case anything happens in multiple ways.

Like copy-pasting the same update to two other venues?
Isn't he adorable when he waddles off in anger? :rrwub                                                                               :oostare

April 08, 2015, 09:11:17 PM
Reply #44
OHTHANKYOUOHTHANKYOUOHTHANKYOUOHTHANKYOUOHTHANKYOUOHTHANKYOU!!!!!!   :spikegift :scottastarryeyed I missed this site and was so worr-I gotta change my password? But my....OCD...can't manage...can't do it-did it.  :-X With my OCD hard to make changes, but did it as don't wanna be the one that caused a rehacking....any idea who the hacker was? I think it might whoever was in the image, but as long as this site stays....I really hope it stays up.

We might wanna get the word out we're back if some members don't know yet, anyways welcome back FIM home. ^^  ;)

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

April 08, 2015, 09:16:03 PM
Reply #45
Like copy-pasting the same update to two other venues?
Is not that hard to automate posting on other places from here. Most can post to Twitter, Facebook and Google+ at the same time so it's good thing as long they follow one of them.

April 08, 2015, 09:20:20 PM
Reply #46
any idea who the hacker was? I think it might whoever was in the image, but as long as this site stays....I really hope it stays up.
I highly doubt that's the case. That's like putting your signature on the front door of somebody you just robbed.

But yeah, the whole password change request was just precautionary, the forum just bleeped back on and, until later that night when Derpy One got on, we didn't really know anything. Seems as though everything is more or less okay though.

We might wanna get the word out we're back if some members don't know yet, anyways welcome back FIM home. ^^ 
That's what we're discussing to some extent  :monster:
The current EqF tumblr has already said the message but anybody following that already knows it seems. As far as I'm aware we don't have an email list so.. yeah. Hopefully anybody who hasn't noticed the site's back finds out soon.

April 08, 2015, 09:24:55 PM
Reply #47
I highly doubt that's the case. That's like putting your signature on the front door of somebody you just robbed.

But yeah, the whole password change request was just precautionary, the forum just bleeped back on and, until later that night when Derpy One got on, we didn't really know anything. Seems as though everything is more or less okay though.
That's what we're discussing to some extent  :monster:
The current EqF tumblr has already said the message but anybody following that already knows it seems. As far as I'm aware we don't have an email list so.. yeah. Hopefully anybody who hasn't noticed the site's back finds out soon.

Hopefully, this is a nice site and hopefully everyone will return.

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

April 09, 2015, 02:04:03 AM
Reply #48
I prefer IRc  as i'm on many irc servers or facebook. i tried to contact Dashell but she wasent on skype :( and i lost her number from  bronycon  so i couldent text :s  I think a strong admin passwordi s needed.

then contact your Server host.
then SM for the forums incase its a exploit.
i also change my server passwords just in-case

i think a skype group would work also and  + we can chat in that also  if anyone wants to do one let me know i can start one and make a URL link here for you.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 02:06:13 AM by Rickyfk - Firestream »

April 09, 2015, 02:47:12 AM
Reply #49
We've tried multiple skype groups and they never seem to work out and just become dead.  :-\