Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: Should we have new users' posts need mod approval?  (Read 1387 times)

December 14, 2014, 11:44:03 AM
Since we're getting spambots, should we perhaps make it so a new user's first few posts (like say their first three) have to be approved by a moderator so we know the account's legit? That way we shouldn't get spambot issues at all.
3DS Friendcode:
2320-6225-0063
EqF Discord Server

Show By Rock!! ID: 784396951
Add me or something.

My Lobi Profile

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Your mother was chair making tools. :monster:
[/quote]
goes sleepy*
[/center]
[/spoiler]

December 14, 2014, 11:46:06 AM
Reply #1
Rather big solution to a small problem, don't you think?  Plus, what kind of tone does that set for the forum?  It would make newcomers feel like they're being evaluated and suspected before they do anything.  We should be as welcoming to newcomers as possible.  And as Miles said just below, users earn the right to post by getting past the captcha.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:52:27 AM by The REAL Princess Luna »

December 14, 2014, 11:46:54 AM
Reply #2
Usually, you'll need to post a Captcha password or something like that. A bot isn't supposed to be able to crack it as the Captcha passwords need to be posted to get through.

Honestly, I'm not sure how the forum can implement something like that; I think it could punish those new members who aren't adbots and want to be apart of the forum community.
| 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 | Living Pokédex COMPLETED: 10/26/2017 |
| Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons and Pokémon Junkie | Graduate of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania -- Class of 2016 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."

December 14, 2014, 01:43:01 PM
Reply #3
Usually, you'll need to post a Captcha password or something like that. A bot isn't supposed to be able to crack it as the Captcha passwords need to be posted to get through.
CAPCHA's have been proven to be pretty useless. The images aren't completely random, there's just thousands of them. After a CAPCHA has been recorded a bot can immediately get through it. Plus I imagine some bots use basic text reading software. Also if I'm not incorrect, CAPCHA's only require the first word to be correct, the second word can be gibberish. Ultimately, the only people who can't read them are *people*.

Anyways yeah, as people have said, it's a rather large solution to a small problem. Just don't click on their links guys, could lead to spyware.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:04:13 PM by Mirage Seraph »

December 14, 2014, 08:03:59 PM
Reply #4
I think that would be an overreaction, adbots are just a part of forum life you can get used to it

Snowy Flanks

December 15, 2014, 06:54:13 AM
Reply #5
And we're not exactly overrun with active new members, so making more of a barrier of entry for new users would probably not be good for the health of the forum.
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.