Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: Buddies List Not Working  (Read 3335 times)

November 26, 2014, 09:34:49 AM
I'm trying to edit my buddies list, yet whenever I make a change, I'm redirected to the site's homepage, and when I check back on my buddies list, no change occurred.
See the bunny bees and puffs of steam from singing kettles in the trees. Bread and butterflies with fork and knives who like to make a meal of time.
Life is clockwork quick - lightning slow. Faster on your toes, so eat your sugared dream and taste the day before it runs away.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

November 26, 2014, 09:37:40 AM
Reply #1
I'm trying to edit my buddies list, yet whenever I make a change, I'm redirected to the site's homepage, and when I check back on my buddies list, no change occurred.

I'm testing doing what you're doing and the same thing is happening to me. Although, for months I wasn't even able to access my Buddy List for some reason.
| 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 | Living Pokédex COMPLETED: 10/26/2017 |
| Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons and Pokémon Junkie | Graduate of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania -- Class of 2016 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."

November 26, 2014, 01:19:35 PM
Reply #2
Same problem with my list

Snowy Flanks

November 26, 2014, 02:23:46 PM
Reply #3
My buddies list displayed nothing but a white page since February. I can access it now. I'm going to try to edit it and see if it does anything.

EDIT: Went to approve the buddy request Mikey sent me in February. Got sent to home page, checked buddies list and it's still under unapproved buddies. So I'm experiencing the same issue.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:25:28 PM by The Brain »
3DS Friendcode:
2320-6225-0063
EqF Discord Server

Show By Rock!! ID: 784396951
Add me or something.

My Lobi Profile

Your mother was chair making tools. :monster:
[/quote]
goes sleepy*
[/center]
[/spoiler]

November 26, 2014, 02:44:30 PM
Reply #4
I've disabled and re-enabled the buddies/ignore feature, is there still a problem with the list not showing? It sounds really strange, I've not had this problem but it sounds like quite a few of you guys are reporting issues so obviously we'd like to get to the bottom of it, though I'm not sure why it would effect some members, and not all?

Let me know if there's any change, I'm still looking into it though!

November 26, 2014, 03:14:15 PM
Reply #5
I can still access my buddy list but I can not modify it

Snowy Flanks

November 26, 2014, 03:15:29 PM
Reply #6
I can still access my buddy list but I can not modify it

Same for me. I cannot delete anyone on my Buddy List or add the the users on my Waiting List.
| 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 | Living Pokédex COMPLETED: 10/26/2017 |
| Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons and Pokémon Junkie | Graduate of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania -- Class of 2016 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."

November 26, 2014, 07:18:46 PM
Reply #7
Still not working for me too.
3DS Friendcode:
2320-6225-0063
EqF Discord Server

Add me or something.

My Lobi Profile

[/quote]
goes sleepy*
[/center]
[/spoiler]

November 27, 2014, 02:37:39 AM
Reply #8
I've disabled and re-enabled the buddies/ignore feature, is there still a problem with the list not showing? It sounds really strange, I've not had this problem but it sounds like quite a few of you guys are reporting issues so obviously we'd like to get to the bottom of it, though I'm not sure why it would effect some members, and not all?

Same here. Are you sure there's anyone it's working for?

I can show the list with http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php?action=profile;area=lists but all of the links to do something with it, i.e. links that have "action=buddies" in the URL, take me to the front page, same as any other unknown "action" parameter.
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

November 27, 2014, 03:33:59 PM
Reply #9
Same here. Are you sure there's anyone it's working for?

I can show the list with http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php?action=profile;area=lists but all of the links to do something with it, i.e. links that have "action=buddies" in the URL, take me to the front page, same as any other unknown "action" parameter.
I can confirm that the list doesn't work for me either, as in I can't edit it. So I don't think it's a member type issue.

Maybe though, perhaps there's a bit of code making it so that you need admin priority to edit it or something? I dunno..

November 27, 2014, 03:41:32 PM
Reply #10
Maybe though, perhaps there's a bit of code making it so that you need admin priority to edit it or something? I dunno..

I doubt it's a rights issue. When I try to do something that I don't have permission to -- such as view the calendar -- I get a nice error page saying I'm not allowed to do that. On the other hand, buddy-list actions just show the front page without any indication that I had even tried to do something wrong.

This points strongly to the problem being that the code that parses the action=whatever query argument doesn't even recognize action=buddies as something SMF can do under any circumstances.
OC descriptions here

November 27, 2014, 04:52:56 PM
Reply #11
Curiouser and curiouser. I've downloaded SMF 2.0.9 and tried if I can figure out how this is supposed to work -- but I can't even find the code that generates the buddy-management interface we see.

There is code in the SMF 2.0.9 download that generates a buddy list -- but this code does not emit the "move up" and "move down" buttons we see here, so it is not what runs. If it did run, it would have generated quite different action URLs than the "action=buddies" ones that now don't work.

As a further curiosity, the move-up and move-down icons we see are named board_select_spot.gif and smiley_select_spot.gif and in the code I downloaded, these icons are only used in admin interfaces for rearranging boards and smilies.

And this is the same in SMF 2.0.3 which I've also downloaded and compared with.

What I CONCLUDE from all this is that at some point in the past Dashell must have installed a third-party SMF add-on that provides an updated buddy-list interface which allows members to rearrange the display order of their buddies. When the forum was upgraded to SMF 2.0.9, this add-on partially lost its connection to the main SMF software. The hooks that allows it to replace the rendering of the buddy list still work, but the hooks that allowed it to respond to action=buddies URLs don't.

(At the same time, the shop plugin suffered similar damage -- the hooks that show numbers of bits below our avatars still work, but the action=shop URLs don't work, and neither does the code that increased the bit balance when messages are posted.)

What went wrong can either be that the upgrade to 2.0.9 was done in a wrong way due to hacker panic, or that 2.0.9 does not actually support the hooks that the old add-ons used. The latter would be a bit strange for a point release, but there might have been security reasons to disable them.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 08:07:45 PM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here

December 20, 2014, 07:54:50 AM
Reply #12
Understood, Henning, but how can this be corrected?
See the bunny bees and puffs of steam from singing kettles in the trees. Bread and butterflies with fork and knives who like to make a meal of time.
Life is clockwork quick - lightning slow. Faster on your toes, so eat your sugared dream and taste the day before it runs away.

December 20, 2014, 08:57:03 AM
Reply #13
Understood, Henning, but how can this be corrected?

I think we need someone with
a) demigod-level access to the servers -- not just an SMF "administrator" account, but actual SSH or FTP access.
b) the technical knowledge and skill to dig through a fuckton of badly documeted PHP code and figure out how it was supposed to work.
c) motivation to spend at least several hours, possibly a day or more, on getting the forum sorted out.

I'm not sure those three groups intersect. Pick any two and I could name someone, but all three is tricky.

Conceivably they could be made to intersect, but that raises all sorts of other problems, which might be worse than the one we're currently having. For example, someone with (b) and (c) could be given (a), but they would need to be completely trusted by the admins -- even without malicious intent, having (a) would provide plenty of opportunity to completely hose the forums by mistake.
OC descriptions here

December 20, 2014, 09:20:09 AM
Reply #14
I'm working on getting server access - I didn't have that initially, but the wheels are in motion now - bear with me!

December 20, 2014, 01:34:34 PM
Reply #15
b) the technical knowledge and skill to dig through a fuckton of badly documeted PHP code and figure out how it was supposed to work.
SMF's code is not that bad documented. phpBB 3.0 code is worse but yeah, I get what you say. The problem is the Ultimate Profile mod. At some point the part that handles changing the buddy list borked and now redirects somewhere else and since SMF doesn't recognize the action, redirects to the main page.

In a nutshell: Buddy list tries to save data, SMF doesn't recognize the data so it discards and redirects to the main page as safety measure.

I know my way on SMF's code but not for that mod but it shouldn't be that hard to read.

March 03, 2015, 05:59:34 PM
Reply #16
I hate to bother you all again but has there been any progress in this area? I would like to be able to mess around with my buddies list a bit...
nietzsche was a hack

March 04, 2015, 06:09:14 AM
Reply #17
SMF's code is not that bad documented. phpBB 3.0 code is worse but yeah, I get what you say. The problem is the Ultimate Profile mod. At some point the part that handles changing the buddy list borked and now redirects somewhere else and since SMF doesn't recognize the action, redirects to the main page.

In a nutshell: Buddy list tries to save data, SMF doesn't recognize the data so it discards and redirects to the main page as safety measure.

I know my way on SMF's code but not for that mod but it shouldn't be that hard to read.

Is there anything you can do specifically?

April 15, 2015, 12:46:29 AM
Reply #18
Just wanted to make sure this issue wasn't forgotten.  I'm still getting the same problem as everyone else.

Let me specify that I can add people to my friends or ignore list and accept friends requests just fine, it's removing them that doesn't work.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:48:54 AM by It's snowing on Mt. Andrew »

April 15, 2015, 01:13:12 AM
Reply #19
Let me specify that I can add people to my friends or ignore list and accept friends requests just fine, it's removing them that doesn't work.

That's interesting. The "accept" button is as broken for me as the rest of them are.
OC descriptions here

April 15, 2015, 12:05:11 PM
Reply #20
That's interesting. The "accept" button is as broken for me as the rest of them are.

Same here. If I click approve it sends me to the home page and the person I clicked approve on still isn't my buddy. Before, the issue was that the edit buddies page would show up as a blank white page, but it doesn't any more. Now the approve button just doesn't work. Mikey sent me a buddy request back in February of last year and I've been unable to approve it, that's about when the problem started I believe.
3DS Friendcode:
2320-6225-0063
EqF Discord Server

Add me or something.

My Lobi Profile

[/quote]
goes sleepy*
[/center]
[/spoiler]

April 15, 2015, 01:47:01 PM
Reply #21
Currently, I don't think the buddy list is online at all. I don't see my list nor do I see any on anyone else's profiles.

April 15, 2015, 01:56:01 PM
Reply #22
I've disabled the Buddy List while I look into a solution. I'm sorry for any inconvenience, I know that the Buddy List can be a handy way of checking the profiles of our friends, but I'll do what I can.

April 15, 2015, 09:27:55 PM
Reply #23
I've disabled the Buddy List while I look into a solution. I'm sorry for any inconvenience, I know that the Buddy List can be a handy way of checking the profiles of our friends, but I'll do what I can.

Thanks for working on it for us Derpy, we appreciate it a lot.
nietzsche was a hack

April 15, 2015, 10:29:50 PM
Reply #24
Currently we're all equal in friendship. Equaaaaaal.