Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: The New Admin Global Suggestion Thread  (Read 4041 times)

September 24, 2014, 06:24:08 PM
Reply #25
Guys, no need to make a discussion out of this.

Mirage doesn't seem to be aware that there's already a separate "Aka" field in the profile for this -- I don't think he's saying this functionality has to be taken over by the "Title" field.
Yeah, just looked through there and noticed it because I was confused as to why me saying something seemingly irrelevant was a big deal, honestly never noticed that. Never needed it so never looked for it, figured people putting AKA: X was their title or personal text, especially since it's located in the same spot as Personal Text on the public forum posts. My bad.

But yeah, wasn't suggesting a change of any sort. More or less was thinking out loud.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

September 24, 2014, 06:53:53 PM
Reply #26
Never needed it so never looked for it, figured people putting AKA: X was their title or personal text, especially since it's located in the same spot as Personal Text on the public forum posts. My bad.

You're using the Fluttershy theme, then?

All the other themes show the Aka below the line with the send-a-PM speech baloon icon, and the personal text somewhere above it.
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

September 24, 2014, 08:34:17 PM
Reply #27

All the other themes show the Aka below the line with the send-a-PM speech baloon icon, and the personal text somewhere above it.
Is that so? I've pretty much used exclusively Fluttershy's Forest. Good to know I suppose.

September 24, 2014, 08:59:44 PM
Reply #28

Huh. This whole time I've had to go to people's profiles to send PMs. Still gonna keep Fluttershy's Forest though, cause I love it too much.
My channel exclusive for ponies: http://www.youtube.com/user/PieDislikerSwag

Naturally. You dislike pie, so you must prefer cake.

I dislike cake, and thus prefer pie.

We were destined to be enemies. Unfortunately for you, I'm technically immortal.

September 26, 2014, 07:26:37 AM
Reply #29
I've given the MLP board divisions some thought and I agree with what Henning said originally about keeping the FiM board somewhat general rather than making it specifically for the TV show, which could be too limiting. Good call on the books, too; maybe the comics section could be "FiM Books and Comics", and cover both? The books don't seem to be enough of a thing to warrant a forum of their own but that way we would have a board for all the non-show official story material.

Thanks to Zyr87, too... that proposed list was very helpful! I feel like the Season 4 game can be moved to the archives now; any future season games can be a child board of FiM General, since I don't think you can have child boards of child boards.

As for RPGs, I agree that it might be an idea for pony-related ask threads should be put there as a child board, although I don't think there's any harm in keeping non-pony ones as a child board in Spam. Maybe if we manually move any active pony ask threads to the new board, and ask that any new ones be created there? Moving every single one might be a bit tedious, we'll see how it goes.

I wouldn't be averse to getting rid of Clubs, any inquiries about meet-ups and stuff could fit better in the new Fandom board anyway and anything else there wouldn't be out of place in Spam. I'd be happy to archive the whole board if no-one has any objections.

Honestly, I feel like we could probably press ahead with some of these changes and see how it goes; if it doesn't work out we can always change it back, after all, but we won't know until we try. As it stands I'm thinking that the MLP boards will be: (boards in bold, child boards in italics)

Friendship is Magic General Discussion
Friendship is Magic Episode Discussion Threads

Friendship is Magic Comics & Books

My Little Pony Merchandise

My Little Pony Previous Generations

My Little Pony Fandom

My Little Pony Creative
Written Works
Pony Graphics
Videos & Animations

My Little Pony RPGs
Ask Threads

I will probably adjust the boards to suit this layout in the next couple of hours along with an announcement to clarify what goes where; if it really doesn't work for people then we can always change back.

As for post count... as far as I can see, we can disable having a visible post count completely if that's what we want to do, but I actually quite like having it and I don't think that EqF has a serious issue with members stressing over their post count, so I don't see the harm in keeping it. I could enable it so that posts are counted from Spam too since we can still see the "real" post count anyway... what do you guys think?

September 26, 2014, 08:34:34 AM
Reply #30
As for RPGs, I agree that it might be an idea for pony-related ask threads should be put there as a child board, although I don't think there's any harm in keeping non-pony ones as a child board in Spam. Maybe if we manually move any active pony ask threads to the new board, and ask that any new ones be created there? Moving every single one might be a bit tedious, we'll see how it goes.

Perhaps a feasible target would be to move those that are on the first page of the current "Getting to Know You" board? The vast majority of threads are personal anyway, so all the RPish threads there are to move is
1. Ask Mikey (active now)
2. Ask Silver Wolf (active occasionally, last time a week ago)
3. Ask the Princess of the Night II (last active in July)
4. Ask Bataloo (last active in July)
5. Ask Maud Pie (last active in June)
6. Ask Vinyl Scratch (last active in May, OP seems to have left the forums)
7. Ask Lemon and Turnip (last active in April)
8. Ask Derpy Mail Inc. (last active in March, OP has left the forums)
9. Ask Reformed Sunset Shimmer (last active in February, OP has left the forums)

As for post count... as far as I can see, we can disable having a visible post count completely if that's what we want to do, but I actually quite like having it and I don't think that EqF has a serious issue with members stressing over their post count, so I don't see the harm in keeping it. I could enable it so that posts are counted from Spam too since we can still see the "real" post count anyway... what do you guys think?

I don't think we're in any danger of post counts becoming a status marker -- that's more of a risk on forums where the post count is shown next to every post one makes.
The main reason most people even know there's a post count being maintained is the "no post count increase" notation for Spam on the front page. :monster:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:36:51 AM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

September 26, 2014, 08:00:40 PM
Reply #31
Sorry for just now getting to this, but here's a point i want to mention.

I think having a unified FIM board for everything except older generations, MLP General, RPGs, and Creative Works should be established, the reason being that i don't think the other boards will have enough activity to justify having them.

The FIM comics board rarely gets any activity as it stands, as there's very rarely any comic issue discuss thread that surpasses 10 replies in their lifespans. Because of this, I think having a FIM General board to cover all of that and a seperate episode board like the one right now would be the best way to handle it, as I don't think FIM General would be overwhelmed by activity to make it confusing.

TOO MANY FLUTTERSHYING CONS

September 27, 2014, 11:41:16 PM
Reply #32
Here's a fix I did for my forum to solve a problem with the youtube embed mod:

Create a word filter to change
https­://www.youtube.com
to
ht­tp://www.youtube.com

Keeping the S breaks the embed because that mod was written before YouTube decided it needed to be secure on every page, and using the wordfilter function to rip the S out each time will prevent many failed embeds.

September 30, 2014, 05:50:12 AM
Reply #33
I am curious about the My Little Pony Merchandise.
I dunno, it seems like something which could be covered in a mega-thread rather than a board unto itself.
I mean there's a lot of merchandise, but I am not sure a topic per-item would work out.

It might work out just fine since there's so much of it, but it feels more like a mega-thread thing.

September 30, 2014, 06:21:36 AM
Reply #34
I am curious about the My Little Pony Merchandise.
I dunno, it seems like something which could be covered in a mega-thread rather than a board unto itself.
I mean there's a lot of merchandise, but I am not sure a topic per-item would work out.

It might work out just fine since there's so much of it, but it feels more like a mega-thread thing.
I agree. I don't see a lot of activities in this section anyway.
[spoiler]
Red for the bloodshed and struggle for freedom.
Blue for the Indian Ocean, in the middle of which Mauritius is situated.
Yellow for the new light of independence shining over the island.
Green for its lush vegetation and its colour throughout the year.

September 30, 2014, 08:48:53 AM
Reply #35
Nah, I agree with you guys... see, I was in two minds, torn between whether to only have enough MLP boards to match the current amount of activity, or whether to diversify with more boards and potentially encourage more discussion, or give the impression to new members that we offer more MLP discussion. I've heard a fair bit of criticism (constructive and otherwise!) about EqF over the last few months and one point I've heard a lot is that EqF has a reputation for being a "general discussion forum with a side of MLP" rather than a dedicated MLP community that happens to offer other community-strengthening discussion.

To cut a long story short, some feel that the off-topic discussion far outweighs the MLP side of things. The question is, does the board evolve to reflect this change, or do we try to do something to steer us back towards the status quo? I think I speak for all of us when I say that I want the board to be as strong as it can be, to be the best at what it does, and to offer users a unique experience... what we have to ask ourselves is, what do we want that to be?

September 30, 2014, 11:49:49 AM
Reply #36
Personally I'm fine with it being a board just for merch. Right now there's no activity but that's because there's no toys being made, but once November/December rolls around Hasbro's going to pump out 50 different things. Then there's the toys released during the season.... Right now there's no activity because just nothing is being made.

Nah, I agree with you guys... see, I was in two minds, torn between whether to only have enough MLP boards to match the current amount of activity, or whether to diversify with more boards and potentially encourage more discussion, or give the impression to new members that we offer more MLP discussion. I've heard a fair bit of criticism (constructive and otherwise!) about EqF over the last few months and one point I've heard a lot is that EqF has a reputation for being a "general discussion forum with a side of MLP" rather than a dedicated MLP community that happens to offer other community-strengthening discussion.

To cut a long story short, some feel that the off-topic discussion far outweighs the MLP side of things. The question is, does the board evolve to reflect this change, or do we try to do something to steer us back towards the status quo? I think I speak for all of us when I say that I want the board to be as strong as it can be, to be the best at what it does, and to offer users a unique experience... what we have to ask ourselves is, what do we want that to be?
While I would like it to not be "general discussion with a side of pony", I don't think we can force people to partake in the pony discussions  :P
I think the reason general discussion outweighs pony discussion is because of a new user experience cycle. New user joins, talks a bit in pony boards, but due to the general lack of activity there lately they leave. It's really just a theory though. Perhaps instead of changing the board though, figure out a way to make new users more comfortable or something? I think the general discussion boards are fine, but the pony boards are just being ignored.

September 30, 2014, 04:22:06 PM
Reply #37
I have a question about the Merchandise board. Is it for merchandise in general? Or does it only apply to generation 4 merch? Would G1-3.5 merch discussion go in the My Little Pony Previous Generations board instead? Or does that only apply to the TV shows/movies? Where would a merchandise thread that includes all generations including G4 go?

I'm confused here. I want to make a thread where you talk about your favorite MLP merch that you have spanning from all generations, but I don't know where I would put it. :-X
3DS Friendcode:
2320-6225-0063
EqF Discord Server

Show By Rock!! ID: 784396951
Add me or something.

My Lobi Profile

Your mother was chair making tools. :monster:
[/quote]
goes sleepy*
[/center]
[/spoiler]

September 30, 2014, 10:50:15 PM
Reply #38

Common sense says there's a trade-off between these two types of forums - a general forum should have more people, but a focused forum will create a more tightly-knit community, but actually that's not true at all.

All the best, most tightly-knit communities I've been a part of over the years have been set up as "General Discussion with a side of ___" forums. Strongly-focused communities tend to shrink as members crave more topics elsewhere, especially when their interest in the primary topic (MLP in our case) wanes, such as between seasons.

The large number of potential topics helps draw more people in, while of course the side of MLP is the element that unites the community.

November 01, 2014, 06:21:41 AM
Reply #39
Here's a fix I did for my forum to solve a problem with the youtube embed mod:

Create a word filter to change
https­://www.youtube.com
to
ht­tp://www.youtube.com

Keeping the S breaks the embed because that mod was written before YouTube decided it needed to be secure on every page, and using the wordfilter function to rip the S out each time will prevent many failed embeds.

This one needs to be done, imo tbh. :monster: