Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 4x23 - Inspiration Manifestation  (Read 6172 times)

April 26, 2014, 10:25:17 AM
Reply #50
Hey, I was on seeing the episode on Brony.TV too and it worked for me.

Anyway that was one of the best S4 episodes.

April 26, 2014, 10:26:29 AM
Reply #51
In my opinion most of Rarity's idea were hideous, I think after the cart all she did was make more ugly monstrosities

Snowy Flanks
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

April 26, 2014, 10:28:54 AM
Reply #52
Yeah, it'll be on youtube, but also, from that main page ED links you to, there's another link at the top of the screen ya gotta click on to take you to the stream. If you followed that link and it wasn't there, then that's pretty weird.

Neigh! Rarity is a fashionista of incredible prowess! Everything she does is amazing!

April 26, 2014, 11:46:18 AM
Reply #53
So that was another Crazy Pony™ episode. Better then the last episode I suppose, but suprised how long they dragged out the whole curse thing. Other then that it's not particularly memorable, but at least it was better then last week's episode I suppose.

April 26, 2014, 12:51:09 PM
Reply #54

April 26, 2014, 02:44:52 PM
Reply #55
Really liked this one, as I could really relate to both characters in this episode and their conflicts. Spike's difficulty to be honest like in Leap of Faith hit home so hard, especially with how much Rarity was praising him and saying he always supports her, god that's so me. Ah Spike <3

I really love what they did with Owlisciuos in this episode too. He's always been my favorite of the pets, and I love his relationship with Spike. Using him as sort of Spike's moral guide, his Jimminy Cricket if you will, was just perfect, and I loved the way the 2 of them played off each other throughout the ep. It's sweet how far they've come since Owl's Well That Ends Well.

Though one thing that had me thinking for a while was Rarity's role in it, and rather, the significance of her reactions to the criticism. Would love to hear other's thoughts on this, but aye, I couldn't help but notice that, at the start of the episode, when Rarity is criticized by that puppet stallion, she breaks down and kind of loses it. But when Spike criticizes her at the end, she doesn't react negatively at all, positively even, and thanks him for doing so......why is that?

I wondered at first if perhaps Rarity had an arc and moral of her own to contrast Spike? Did she seeing how the many creations she made could actually be bad and not liked by Spike show her that you can't please everyone, and she grew to be more confident about herself?

A friend of mine though offered a different interpretation that I rather liked. He suggested that, Rarity didn't change at all, rather she treats criticism from friends much differently then she does from strangers, and that Spike never knew this, and that it was another part to his moral and what he learned. I think that's the correct interpretation, since Spike said at the end in the moral that, a true friend will know that being honest is something you do because you care, and I think that's why Rarity took the criticisms differently. But yeah, kind of open to interpretation, but I really like that aspect, as I never realized how different I view honesty when it comes to friends and strangers until this episode, so that's given me much to think about, and I love it when episodes do that! :D

And as a final note, I liked how it ended with Spike being honest about Twilight looking bad but that made her angry and didn't seem like the best thing to do, showing that while being honest with friends is incredibly important, there are exceptions and the moral isn't completely black and white, rather gray. I think this is shown again at the start of the episode when the honesty of the puppeteer causes Rarity to fall into sadness, and I just really like how despite having a moral the episode keeps in mind it is gray, struck me as very mature, very real, and just really awesome, and yeah, loved this episode if only for its moral heh, but the conflict and characters and humor and everything were great too! Another great Spike ep, very excited to see his final one of the season next week.

April 26, 2014, 02:49:30 PM
Reply #56
This was a rather forgettable episode.  Forced conflict (Rarity shouldn't be that oblivious to the requirements of a traveling puppet theater), Spike is a moron, random crazy pony antics, blah resolution, moral, end.  Considering the premise, they could have gone hog wild, but the creations were rather tame I guess due to budget.

I'm also sick of them trying to make Spike a main character (and we're getting another Spike episode next week, joy).  He's not a main character.  He's a lackey.  He's been a lackey for 30 years.  He works best as a lackey in Friendship is Magic.
Signature in need of ideas at the moment.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code
0130-2037-5404

April 26, 2014, 02:58:35 PM
Reply #57
Okay, retwatched.

When I saw Sweetie Belle with her mother in the opening I thought for the longest time that it was Suri Polomare! Except for the horn, and the eye color, they do look similar, don't they? Even the cutie marks seem to match. Should we perhaps infer a family connection?

Truffle Shuffle appears with Cheerilee for the entire festival. A comment on the fan nickname "Teacher's Pet"?

Is this the first episode to feature both Vinyl and Octavia?

Exactly why did Spike think taking the spellbook away from Rarity would cancel the effect of the spell? She'd already cast it.

Rarity's first words are "Just because X doesn' t mean Y" -- is that really grammatical in her dialect?

Rarity saying "nom, nom, nom" as she binges ice cream cracks me up.
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

April 26, 2014, 03:07:52 PM
Reply #58
This was a rather forgettable episode.  Forced conflict (Rarity shouldn't be that oblivious to the requirements of a traveling puppet theater), Spike is a moron, random crazy pony antics, blah resolution, moral, end.  Considering the premise, they could have gone hog wild, but the creations were rather tame I guess due to budget.

I'm also sick of them trying to make Spike a main character (and we're getting another Spike episode next week, joy).  He's not a main character.  He's a lackey.  He's been a lackey for 30 years.  He works best as a lackey in Friendship is Magic.
Have to disagree on the second paragraph. He has had his share of memorable moments(all of Secret of My Excess, his role in Crystal Empire) and whenever he's not the Butt Monkey in an episode, 9 times out of 10 he's a well made character.

Had to say that. I'm not finished with the episode yet, about 16 minutes in, but I really like it.

TOO MANY FLUTTERSHYING CONS

April 26, 2014, 03:16:10 PM
Reply #59
Oh,  I didn't even notice Vinyl Scratch there.  Awesome.

Anyways I rather liked this one.  Not one of the best episodes ever, but it was enjoyable.  Rarity and Spike were so cute together. 

I like the lesson as well.  That you need to be honest with your friends and if they're doing something dangerous or that's hurting others, they need to be told.  I think Spike and Rarity are the perfect two people to display this as well.  ... and Owlicious... apparently :P

Also lol @ Spike eating the book, he didn't even chew XD
Silly Spike, you're going to choke on that

Also this :monster:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 03:17:10 PM by Dashell »

April 26, 2014, 03:18:28 PM
Reply #60
Also lol @ Spike eating the book, he didn't even chew XD
Silly Spike, you're going to choke on that

Eating an entire evil spellbook alive. Cannot end well.

Obvious sequel hook is obvious. :monster:
OC descriptions here

April 26, 2014, 03:23:57 PM
Reply #61
NOW I finished the thing.

This is probably going to be in the same tier of season 4 episodes as Flight to the Finish and Twilight Time, where it was good and very close to being great, it just lacked something to give it that little push.

It was overall very good though, and Spike was very much in character this time after his terrible season 3 and early season 4 appearances, thank God. He really needed this episode to regain his popularity, and it worked. Oh, and Rarity was great as well.

Conflict was good methinks. I like how they played up his love for Rarity in a way where it could hurt other ponies, which was a nice touch. Having him have to work against it to do the right thing was interesting to see.

Hey, Owloscious was used well in an episode  ???

That said....I don't think the climax was as bad as people have said, but yeah...Rarity should have struggled more than she did to give it some weight, but it was lacking.

8.5/10 feels about right, and I noticed that this seems to be the score most people are giving it as well. Pretty solid episode to round out an already excellent season, and its nice to see Spike FINALLY get some love again. Onwards to Equestrian Games!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 03:24:33 PM by Felix Hawthorne »

April 26, 2014, 04:30:04 PM
Reply #62
Oh sweet motherly Celestia...at 0:15 you can see Sweetie Belle's parents, AND THEIR NOT WEARING ANYTHING AND HER DAD IS A UNICORN!!!!!! Well so much for her parents breaking the wall between races, liked them better when her dad was a Earth pony I meany really? XD IT'S WEIRD seeing them without their outfits! Why did the animators suddenly change that? And further more how come her dad's horn didn't go through his hat?

Again much like Big Mac without his neck thing, they (at least her dad as saw him twice) look naked and it's just weird...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:31:52 PM by Speedy »

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

April 26, 2014, 04:32:45 PM
Reply #63
Oh sweet motherly Celestia...at 0:15 you can see Sweetie Belle's parents, AND THEIR NOT WEARING ANYTHING AND HER DAD IS A UNICORN!!!!!! Well so much for her parents breaking the wall between races, liked them better when her dad was a Earth pony I meany really? XD IT'S WEIRD seeing them without their outfits! Why did the animators suddenly change that? And further more how come her dad's horn didn't go through his hat?

Again much like Big Mac without his neck thing, they (at least her dad as saw him twice) look naked and it's just weird...
Yeah...funny how ponies can actually look naked if you're used to them wearing something  :P

April 26, 2014, 04:34:17 PM
Reply #64
Yeah...funny how ponies can actually look naked if you're used to them wearing something  :P

Yeah, also a few secs after that we see Cheerliee with the colt...well don't wanna say fat but just look again, wanna bet the fans will take them as mother and son now given the setting?

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

April 26, 2014, 04:38:35 PM
Reply #65
I saw Rarity's change as as Start of Darkness / Used to Be a Nice Kid kind of thing, which I liked and could relate to.

I have no interest in terminal illness romances as a category. I saw someone else describe them as "like watching a puppy playing through the scope of a sniper rifle"

What is next? Yelling “fire” at a theatre or trying to get Westboro Baptist protesters INSIDE the funeral home?

April 26, 2014, 04:52:55 PM
Reply #66
Hmm, Corey didn't top her debut episode but it was still a great one. Lotsa background ponies we haven't seen in a little while too, including Octavia. Where you been Tavi, get lost on your way to Season 2?

Well, my only real complaint is some of the dialog, particularly the ending of the spell and Rarity's Depression dialog felt really forced, but aside from that loved this one, good moral, good story and humor, and all that fun stuff. And it's a small detail, but I'm glad Ponyville didn't become "okay" once the spell ended, it stayed changed and needed to be fixed manually.

A-, liked pretty much everything about it outside of a couple lines of dialog.

April 26, 2014, 05:12:58 PM
Reply #67
Say who wanna bet that book helped in creating the Chrystal Empire? You can't tell me Rarity's changes doesn't remind you of it?

April 26, 2014, 05:18:05 PM
Reply #68
Exactly why did Spike think taking the spellbook away from Rarity would cancel the effect of the spell? She'd already cast it.

Cause the spell says to hold the book close when casting it.  Both he and Rarity assumed that casting the spell required having the book close each time Rarity manifested something but it was only needed to cast the curse as the curse remains until it is broken.  Also this might be an Evil Dead reference (original and remake) since the original ended with the destruction of the book and the book was indestructible in the remake. 

heh yeah that was cute. :D

So yeah...no Sparity confession.  :'(

Well the rest of the episode was great, Tabatha was on top form as crazy Rarity and it was generally a lot of fun. I loved the ending with Twi complaining about having to clean up the mess and mentioning Luna and Cadance was cool plus Twi being Princess-ish yay ^-^

Rainbow Dash now bucks clouds in style. :lol:

I liked this episode. 

...Thus Equestria Girls is canon, so...

"We are thinking on the basest of planes. What we need, are more eyes."
- Master Willem

April 26, 2014, 05:18:20 PM
Reply #69
Eating an entire evil spellbook alive. Cannot end well.

Obvious sequel hook is obvious. :monster:
They cut the scene where Twilight feeds Spike two liters of pureded prunes

Snowy Flanks

April 26, 2014, 05:20:58 PM
Reply #70
Hmm, Corey didn't top her debut episode but it was still a great one. Lotsa background ponies we haven't seen in a little while too, including Octavia. Where you been Tavi, get lost on your way to Season 2?

She did make it to Season 2, with an appearance in "Sweet and Elite".
OC descriptions here

April 26, 2014, 05:45:16 PM
Reply #71
Back in my day we would have had this thread 404'd already.

April 26, 2014, 06:01:21 PM
Reply #72
Oh, I do want to say. I found the ending with a disgruntled Twilight to be hilarious  :P

April 26, 2014, 06:08:36 PM
Reply #73
I liked that one a lot. Rarity at her best. :lol: Spike and Owlowiscious were great too. It was just a funny and entertaining episode all around.

Say who wanna bet that book helped in creating the Chrystal Empire? You can't tell me Rarity's changes doesn't remind you of it?

The way she created crystalline objects and had green glowing eyes described as "dark magic"... yeah, I can see that being related to the Crystal Empire and/or King Sombra. :-X

April 26, 2014, 06:15:10 PM
Reply #74
The way she created crystalline objects and had green glowing eyes described as "dark magic"... yeah, I can see that being related to the Crystal Empire and/or King Sombra. :-X
I would not be surprised if Sombra wrote the book

Snowy Flanks