Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 4x22 - Trade Ya!  (Read 7509 times)

April 19, 2014, 09:46:36 AM
Reply #50
Can't load the streams on my iTouch and streaming from a PC is incredibly choppy and just about unwatchable. Our internet speed dropped drastically this week and I suspect my father downgraded us. What pisses me off about it is that there's no reason to do that, he makes enough damn money to afford decent internet. :ugh:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

April 19, 2014, 09:49:26 AM
Reply #51
Rd has a trade stream like the legendary red paperclip
AJ and Rares have dispute needed
Pinkie is ruining Twi's day
Spike will save the day

Snowy Flanks

April 19, 2014, 09:49:55 AM
Reply #52
Is this black and purple maned pony a fanpony.

Is that Coco Pommel's mother.

I have no interest in terminal illness romances as a category. I saw someone else describe them as "like watching a puppy playing through the scope of a sniper rifle"

What is next? Yelling “fire” at a theatre or trying to get Westboro Baptist protesters INSIDE the funeral home?

April 19, 2014, 09:52:51 AM
Reply #53
Derpy deaged to trade with Twi
Bookseller wants a bear call

Snowy Flanks

April 19, 2014, 10:00:17 AM
Reply #54
No rainbow? :(

(Though there was one on Twilight's gavel at the end).
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

April 19, 2014, 10:11:03 AM
Reply #55
I so wanted Spike to do something but it was not meant to be
and I am calling gift of the magi plot for Rarity and AJ

Snowy Flanks

April 19, 2014, 10:17:23 AM
Reply #56
I feel a bit sad for the foal who didn't get anything for their broken feather.
OC descriptions here

April 19, 2014, 10:22:41 AM
Reply #57
I would have traded the books for the feather, being able to give books to a child would more then satify me not matter what the pink one says

Snowy Flanks

April 19, 2014, 10:26:53 AM
Reply #58
The return of Tartarus beasts and the Daring Do books.

April 19, 2014, 10:28:00 AM
Reply #59
I would have traded the books for the feather, being able to give books to a child would more then satify me not matter what the pink one says

I'm surprised that wasn't Twilight's reasoning. It was just "I don't need them anymore."

I have no interest in terminal illness romances as a category. I saw someone else describe them as "like watching a puppy playing through the scope of a sniper rifle"

What is next? Yelling “fire” at a theatre or trying to get Westboro Baptist protesters INSIDE the funeral home?

April 19, 2014, 10:28:40 AM
Reply #60
Welp, time to stay off the internet until I can watch it on Dailymotion tonight.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:29:30 AM by Tender Page »

April 19, 2014, 10:32:43 AM
Reply #61
Wait, what.

Who talked Twilight into judging a case based on the premise that Fluttershy was Rainbow Dash's to trade away in the first place? Unless slavery exists in Equestria, the deal must have been that Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash together traded away the dog thingy and Fluttershy's labor for the book -- but in that case it cannot have been dispositive that Dash alone declared the trade to be fair.

Twilight needs to go back and read her law books again.
OC descriptions here

April 19, 2014, 11:12:11 AM
Reply #62
Today's episode was pretty good. I liked Rainbow Falls a lot,

April 19, 2014, 11:48:16 AM
Reply #63
Today's episode reminded me alot of Castle-Mania

Much of the plot was pretty predictable. Especially in terms of Fluttershy and Rainbow's part. It's the typical "Trade one thing, to get another thing, to get what at least one of the characters want most" even with the ending of them getting what they wanted anyway by the end. But the character interaction with the Mane 6 split into pairs (Different pairs from Castle-Mania at least) was enjoyable enough.

The only thing I can think of I may have had a tiny bit of an issue was Pinkie may have not been so considerate for Twilight. As Twilight's friend you'd think she wouldn't say something like "Before she was a Princess, she was nothing!". But honestly Scott Sonneborn still managed to do what I think AKR was trying to do in Filli Vanilli, but Scott managed to have it more moderately.

Which I want to get to about Scott. I remember people worrying about this episode just because he was writing this one. And while this episode wasn't amazing, and not enough to change some people's minds on him yet. Scott basically did something like a Josh Haber episode. The episode as a whole isn't entirely amazing, but I felt like some people were treating him like the new Merriwether Williams when he really doesn't deserve it.

On another note though, I wonder if Spike's book at the end is going to be a bit of a future reference to Inspiration Manifestation...

April 19, 2014, 12:01:10 PM
Reply #64
The episode had an epic intro with the welcome of Twilight, but then it got boring. I give the episode an D.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 05:53:08 PM by Applejack2011 »

April 19, 2014, 01:21:56 PM
Reply #65
I liked this episode a lot, to be honest. One of the better episodes of the year. Every one of the Mane 6 had a conflict that got worked to a resolution by the end, and I appreciated the humor throughout (dunno how much I laughed, but I appreciated it.) No one seemed out of character or anything, either. I'm expecting people to not be happy with Pinkie Pie again however, heh. Personally, I thought she was great here. "I'm just kidding... Or am I?! I can never tell!" It was interesting that she decided to impersonate the Flim Flam Brothers, however...

Once again, I love Fluttershy. She is adowable, as always. I think I might be a broken record on that point. Ah well.

I think that Fluttershy did agree to trading the dog and her labor for the book. She wanted Rainbow Dash to be happy, regardless of what she would have to sacrifice for her happiness. I was kinda surprised RD agreed to it, honestly, heh... 

April 19, 2014, 01:41:05 PM
Reply #66
So how does Applejack know what's in Rarity's drawer?
I can't make signatures.
No seriously I'm not good at it.
Like am I supposed to shove fanart in here or something.

April 19, 2014, 01:49:27 PM
Reply #67
This was a fun episode to look for background events in. Here are some random (and not very interesting rewatch notes):

Notice the tilt shot right after the title sequence. Apparently the ponies arrived at the train station on the top level of Rainbow Falls (with not even a buffer stop at the end of the rains, that's a literal train crash waiting to happen), then went over a small bridge and into a tunnel, and then they emerge from a hole in the cliffside at the fairgrounds about 50 meters below the level with the train station.

Cherry Berry appears with Liberty Belle several times at the beginning (0:12, 1:29), but later on (4:45, 5:24) she seems to have ditched the filly. Right after that (5:26) Liberty is with an unlisted mare who looks like Cherry Berry but has a different mane. At 8:14 Liberty and Cherry Berry are back together, but at 11:16, 13:29, 15:12, and 20:08 Cherry Berry is alone again, or with Shoeshine. At 15:41 CB suddenly has a hat, and the filly has grown into Apple Bumpkin!

In the lamp trader's first appearance he has a hourglass cutie mark. Subsequentlys it's a compass rose.

The Discord-shaped lamps he sells are whole, but when RD describes it to the chicken and crystalware traders, the screen shows the glued-together version Discord produced after breaking Fluttershy's lamp in KCaFO. When they finally do get the lamp, it's a glued-together one too.

Right before "but I'd gladly trade one of my chickens for a crystal chalice", Aunt Orange walks past in the background, together with a recolor of young Applejack, complete with bindle. (They're followed by Cheerilee). Later when Aunt Orange appears again  in the crowd that blocks the way back to the Daring Do stand, she too has lost her filly!

I'm sure we have seen the pegasus filly with the broken pen somewhere before, but where?
(Aw, she even dropped her pen when Pinkie scared her off!)

Poor Pinprick seems to be carrying the same loop of rope around the entire day. Except when he's waiting in the burger line after Cherry Berry. His cutie mark is mostly a horseshoe, but an hourglass while he waits in line. Then it reverts to horseshoe as he and Cherry Berry get their meals.

Spike is negotiating with the same comic-book trader in the background for the entire episode!

There's an R63 Caramel in the crowd that blocks the way back to the Daring Do stand.

At "Yeah, I said it, but I was wrong", Colgate and Amethust Star appear behind Rainbow Dash with wrong cutie marks -- laurel wreath and two  hearts!
OC descriptions here

April 19, 2014, 01:50:36 PM
Reply #68
So how does Applejack know what's in Rarity's drawer?

She seems to rummage about in Rarity's items quite freely. Remember in "Simple Ways" when she took one of Rarity's dresses for her act?

I think that Fluttershy did agree to trading the dog and her labor for the book. She wanted Rainbow Dash to be happy, regardless of what she would have to sacrifice for her happiness.

Yes, but she didn't say she agreed, so it wouldn't be legally binding.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:51:53 PM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here

April 19, 2014, 01:57:50 PM
Reply #69
Petty sure Rainbow legally owns Fluttershy and never told her

Snowy Flanks

April 19, 2014, 03:10:03 PM
Reply #70
Hm, not sure if I liked this more or less than Scott's last episode. Had a lot more humor but it was less "exciting". I guess it's a lot like Corey's episodes where they were pretty but opposites of each other in terms of content. Dunno which Scott did a better job at, as both were simply slightly above average. I did enjoy the minor stuff in this episode a lot though, crippled "OC" pony, Bioshock reference, continuity pokes, and all that glorious Flutterdash going on.

I give it a B.

April 19, 2014, 03:11:56 PM
Reply #71

Well that's assuming Equestrian law is the same as our own.  It's entirely possible Equestria has indentured servitude as part of their legal system. :-\

Anyway, I was so sure this was going to be Twi's key episode what with all the fuss about her status and the rest of the Mane 6 having friendship issues, plus Twi was in charge of settling disputes.  When I saw the rainbow on her gavel I was so sure that was where it was going. :(

Oh well it was still a great episode regardless.  I really enjoyed seeing the pairs interacting and I loved the little scene with all the caged creatures.  I'm going to have to go back and watch all the scenes with background ponies and stuff. :D

Orthrus, yay! ^-^

A filly wanted Twi's autograph. :lol:

Pony in a wheel-um harness...ok. It's cool they put that in and didn't make a big thing about it.

So yeah a great episode and one I'm going to need to re-watch. :D

...Thus Equestria Girls is canon, so...

"We are thinking on the basest of planes. What we need, are more eyes."
- Master Willem

April 19, 2014, 03:12:57 PM
Reply #72
I appreciate the change of scenery more than what actually happened...."They see how much their friendship really means." not really in the case of Pinkie and Twilight, but it's not a bother.

April 19, 2014, 03:35:53 PM
Reply #73
I'm sure we have seen the pegasus filly with the broken pen somewhere before, but where?
(Aw, she even dropped her pen when Pinkie scared her off!)

Can someone check whether she's identical (except derp) to the filly Derpy that appeared in the confession song from "Pinkie Pride"?

When I saw the rainbow on her gavel I was so sure that was where it was going. :(

It was the wrong kind of rainbow, though -- primary colors, not coat colors.
OC descriptions here

April 19, 2014, 04:57:48 PM
Reply #74
An excellent plot, though disappointed in the lack of Discord, I was hoping he would play a key role in this.

I think of the three plots, Rainbow Dash / Fluttershy was the strongest of the three, the endless trade plot has been done to death, but it was the funniest one to me, I like how Fluttershy was willing to do anything for Rainbow Dash, but in the end Rainbow Dash realised how travia the book is in comparisson to Fluttershy. Apple Jack/ Rarity plot got old after a while each having to out due each other, while Twilight / Pinkie plot was entertaining but nothing to write home about, I do feel Rainbow Dash / Fluttershy and Apple Jack / Rarity as been built as great duo within the mane 6, Twilight / Pinkie Pie were just left overs. But that is just my opinion.

An entertaining episode, I can't wait for the next one.