Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 4x20 - Leap of Faith  (Read 7606 times)

April 02, 2014, 05:34:21 PM
Reply #100
What does FiM shipping "controversy" look like? I don't think I have ever observed it.

The closest we get is, I think, things like Glitch seemingly being offended that any kind of shipping even exists. Then once in a while someone will opine in a by-the-way sort of way that they think this-or-that ship is stupid, generally being met with bored silence. Once in a second while someone will try to explain nicely that on the contrary this-or-that ship does make sense. It's all very peaceful and civil, especially considering it's on the internet.

So where's all the controversy you say exists?
This was years ago,so I don't remember it that well, but I remember FlutterMac fans throwing a fit before Hearts And Hooves Day because they thought CheeriMac was going to be canon.

It was over once they actually saw the episode and how it played romance up for jokes, but still.

The other one comes largely from Flash Sentry...which I think you can guess from there, but there's entire memes around him being a "waifu stealer" because of how he was shipped with Twilight. And the reaction to the first chapter of Rainbow Rocks' book adaptation,
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
was not received well.

I'll admit this is on other places in the fandom, but anytime there's shipping, shipping at all, its interesting to see the response...well, save for Sparity scenes, which everyone is OK with.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:37:49 PM by Felix Hawthorne »

TOO MANY FLUTTERSHYING CONS

April 02, 2014, 08:03:56 PM
Reply #101
What does FiM shipping "controversy" look like? I don't think I have ever observed it.

The closest we get is, I think, things like Glitch seemingly being offended that any kind of shipping even exists. Then once in a while someone will opine in a by-the-way sort of way that they think this-or-that ship is stupid, generally being met with bored silence. Once in a second while someone will try to explain nicely that on the contrary this-or-that ship does make sense. It's all very peaceful and civil, especially considering it's on the internet.

It does exist but it's pretty mild most of the time with the occasional flare-up. Over on FIM Fiction which (unsurprisingly) has a lot of shippers like me, there was a controversy in the shipping group a few months ago about the attitudes expressed in another group towards slash shipping. I won't go into details other than to say that there was a surprising amount of vitriol thrown about.
You made this day a special day just by being yourself

Check me out on FIM Fiction!

April 02, 2014, 09:07:27 PM
Reply #102

It exists in the sense that shipping controversy exists EVERYWHERE.  Shippers are crazy when it comes to seeing their preferred pairing.

Though I have to admit, unless it's specifically brought up, you have to go looking for it.

April 02, 2014, 09:10:52 PM
Reply #103
It exists in the sense that shipping controversy exists EVERYWHERE.  Shippers are crazy when it comes to seeing their preferred pairing.

Though I have to admit, unless it's specifically brought up, you have to go looking for it.
You want to know the worst case I've ever seen?

It was for the CW show Reign. One of the main attractions is a Twilight style love triangle between a girl and two guys, twist being that the girl is actually a queen in medievil times. There were episodes dedicated to each ship...and once it was clear one ship was going to get focus, fans of another ship planned to boycott the show over it.

And then the actress playing the queen lashed out on Twitter against these fans, saying that if those fans actually boycotted the show, they wouldn't get a second season.

Thankfully, the show did get renewed for a second season, so thankfully we don't have to say shippers didn't kill a show...yet.

TOO MANY FLUTTERSHYING CONS

April 03, 2014, 10:01:43 AM
Reply #104
(Sorry for the late/near overdo review but Skyrim is fun XD)…….OK let’s just start, the episode starts as Applejack along with Big Mac and Applebloom swimming, until Applebloom does a cannonball getting Granny Smith wet and waking her up. Turns out she’s scared of the water or just can’t swim, well after a backstory we learnt she was a good high diver when she young but….well after one dive she was so sore/hurt it took years before she could even look at water. Applebloom asks if she’ll ever be scared of the wate-OMG A SHARK SWIM APPLEJACK AND APPLEBLOOM SWIM FOR YOUR LIV-and it’s just Big Mac with a shark fin on his head, he just trolled his own little sister. XD Sharks are canon too now.

Later the Apples are walking home when they see a group of injured ponies walking….wait a minute is that Granny Smith’s father? No really look here

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/a5c9/ykwkr01c87d5x4vfg.jpg

IT’S GRANNY SMITH’S FATHER!!!!! Either he’s back from the dead as a ghost or, as one person said it’s Applejack’s dad that just looks like Granny Smith’s dad, that can happen but why did the animators use his model didn’t they know/remember who he was? Aw well later after following the group to a red/white tent….oh no….oh dear sweet Celestia please no...that magic color, those shadows THOSE VOICES!!!!!! Flim and Flam! NNNNNNOOOOOOOOEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!! XD

Yep the Flim and Flam brothers are back and I always knew they would (to try to get the farm as the Apples stupidly for no other reason then to give a sad scene gave them), I really don’t like the brothers guess it’s because I just hate the whole barber singing thing (can’t spell the group name) that and I disliked how they acted at parts, well as long as they don’t sing UGH THEY DO SING!!! I didn’t like the first song so I sure don’t like this, I may dislike Flash from EG (altho because he’s the most useless character ever) and Blueblood, but I whether see them sing together then to hear another Flim and Flam song….swear I’m the only person that doesn’t like them nor their two songs.

Anyways that aside they sing about a tonic a “magical drink” that can cure all sorts of things (btw weird/gross pony illnesses…) and even gave it to one stallion who couldn’t walk but after drinking it he could, uh huh yeah we need more than just one tester Flim and Flam. Well it also turns out every single pony forgot about their last visit, even Granny Smith who after the brothers said “this can make you learn again” was sold on it. Later as Applejack along with Applebloom and Big Mac (who are fishing with a apple…..how can a fish even bite and get hooked on that?) were talking they see Granny Smith in the river, panicking they tried to save her.

Big Mac throws his...neck thing what is it called? But misses so Applejack KNOCKS OVER A TREE but Granny Smith swims around it, after she finally gets out she tells them after taking the ton…...oh wow...Big Mac looks...strangely weird without his neck thing and Bronycurious is right, he looks naked without it...Back to the scene, Granny Smith is so sure that the tonic got rid of her fear of water and made her feel young again, that Applejack and Applebloom goes to see what is inside the tonic, as they do we hear a resinging of the song in the background (btw I forgot to say, during the song the ponies did the same exact dance from the brothers first episode, nice touch) and oddly catches the same stallion from before exiting the tent saying he was cured. Yeah a chase backstage shows he (don’t know how to spell his name) was a hired hand to dress up and “pretend” to be cured. OK I gotta point out how stupid this is, you “can not” have just one stallion/person dress up and pretend your stuff works over and over each night, and why? Well firstly ponies from the day before should’ve showed up saying the tonic didn’t help them like it did him, and second because SOMEPONY WOULD NOTICE!

What are everypony besides the Mane6/CMC/their family in Ponyville STUPID!?!?!??!?? Yeah we have look alikes but THEY AREN’T STUPID/BLIND! If somepony from before shows up to resee the show/get the tonic wouldn’t they notice he looks just like the pony that got healed before and would get suspicious? He still wears the same glasses and shirt so unless every single pony is stupid/blind, this would never ever work. But anyways Applejack asks him to tell the truth but he uses a...organ? To gas her and Applebloom and run back to Flim and Flam who Applejack demanded a question from.

The brothers...of course start explaining  through a whether nice scene but is ruined when they try guilting AJ, anyways they tell her the tonic whether it works or not is making Granny Smith happy and asked if she really wanted to take that away from her, OK where is Discord can I pay him to assassinate these two Assassin’s Creed style or something? Or maybe do something terrible ANYTHING!!!!! I really really dislike these two and Diamond Tiara is my OC’s main love interest! I even like Gilda and Lightning Dust who is the banner of my youtube channel,  these two are the ONLY CHARACTERS I truly do not like, Flash may be my less fave character due to how useless he is but these two…..you know freak it I may dislike Flash but these two are a different thing, they are below Flash in my dislike chart if only they were redeemed….was hoping they would….

Anyways guilting Applejack she tells her sister...wait where did Applebloom go? She was with Applejack before what did she stay blinded by the gas and Applejack just left her behind? Thought for sure she followed her let me check...oh I see she told her to check the other way I missed that, stupid me. XD Anyways she tells her as long as it works it doesn’t matter what’s in it, later we see the family swimming but AJ guess due to lying to her own granny is making her too depressed to swim, however when Applebloom asks Granny Smith to...what is it called when she holds Applebloom with her feet and rolled her in the air? Anyways Applejack tries to stop them but was too late but appears it wasn’t hurting Granny Smith, upon being asked AJ just asks why she doesn’t take it easy, Granny Smith just replied she took it easy for too long.

At one point Applebloom asks if she could be a good swimming like Granny Smith and brings up a swimming contest, which Applejack gets her to do after she at first said she wasn’t sure, later they went to get more tonic and….well when asked Applejack said “it seems to work for Granny” which isn’t really a lie, during the Otaku Ascended’s restreaming they said she didn’t really lie and the crowd just jumped to what they came too, also the brothers freaked her over by using her name so far as to get posters of her smiling while holding their tonic. Yeah still don’t like them, later at the contest (btw Lrya is a judge and gave one diver a 3) Granny Smith and Applebloom start to get ready to swim and after starting...I honestly thought Granny Smith at one point would start drowning starting a whole “lier reveal” thing but nope they do so well they get 3 tens (cute how Lrya at first had the ten upside down XD Also if Bon Bon was in this she would get tens from her I’ll bet) and winning. They say it was the tonic to a group of ponies taking their pictures, Applejack sees the same stallion from before selling a tonic to another stallion and she confronts him about it.

It turns out he was feeling guilty about selling the fake tonic and lying about it, but thanks to AJ he learnt honestly isn’t always right, which gets her worried even more and oh dear Applebloom DON’T HELP THE BROTHERS! She said the tonic works and to ask Applejack, btw how can the Apples be so kind to the brothers after oh I don’t know AFTER THEY ALMOST CHEATED THEM OUT OF THEIR HOME/FARM!?!?!??? They shouldn’t be so quick to accept them! Anyways Applejack finally decides to tell the truth but stops when she sees Granny Smith about to retry the old high diving record, and I don’t care who you are that is a death wish. We see Applebloom moving into place a bowl of water for her Granny to jump into, whether she makes it or not the impact will still badly hurt if not kill her.

Heck it would kill anypony young or old to do a dive that high, you need deep enough water not a kiddy pool for pets! SHE’S GOING TO KILL HERSELF APPLEJACK PLEASE HURRY!!!!!! Oh no she’s too late she jumped NNNNOOOOOOO-wait what? Applejack used her rope to catch her? OK that shouldn’t hurt her too. XD Btw she would’ve made the dive perfectly but still would have badly hurt her, how exactly would she or anypony remain unharmed? No wonder no pony ever beaten it what were they gonna have a old cool style where she acts like Tom from Tom And Jerry when he hits the ground or would she “magically” go inside the tiny thing as if it was deep water?

Anyways...Granny Smith is understandably upset but Applejack (after seeing a rainbow from the bottle Granny Smith was drinking due to sunlight giving her rainbow eyes) decides to finally come clean, she admits to lying to everypony’s shock and hopes to regain their trust in time. Flim and Flam tried to regain the scene by saying “Applejack said it boosts courage and all” but the stallion from before admits he helped made the tonic and that it was indeed a fake, after seeing what she did he saw the error of his ways (sorta a fast turn around) and gives her the bit he got through dishonest means while promising to track the pony down and give him a bit to replace it.

I forgot what all was said here, but AJ said she hoped Granny Smith wouldn’t stop swimming but she said she didn’t intend too, just couldn’t believe she was scammed by the brothers who snuck away during their talk. Later we get a nice moral and the family swimming yet again, and we get by far the worse key yet, the bit glows rainbow and the episode ends.

This, was an OK episode but let me talk on the key first. I don’t care what it symbolizes  a bit as a key? That’s the most uncreative key yet, A BIT!? You know what they use as MONEY!?!?!?!?
It could easily be misplaced or given away (half expecting AJ to lose her key later) let’s talk about the keys we already have. A rainbow fabric roll, a Wonderbolt medal, a rubber chicken, a flower, and now a bit? Yeah they're all kinda weird for a key to the magical box but I just really hate they used a bit for a key, how special is that? Applejack got freaken ripped off EVERY SINGLE CREATURE ALIVE CAN GET A BIT SO THIS DOESN’T HAVE THE SAME SENTIMENTAL VALUE!!!!!!!!! Also unless she marks it she’ll never ever tell it apart from other bits or somepony may find it, and use it to buy something unaware it was her key (Applebloom episode idea there), just uncreative.

But now the brothers oh dear Celestia...first let me make one thing clear, I know how their suppose to be we’re suppose to dislike them and they really do a PERFECT job in their roles, I think the whole singing barber thing adds most of my dislikement. Btw trying not to say hate as I don’t really “hate” them per say, just I don’t like them as everyone else I see do. Heck their song from season 2 is my less fave song but this new song may replace it as my less fave, I don’t enjoy the brothers as much as everyone else does I just can’t stand seeing them here. XD

Hm wonder which appearance I’ll like more? Probably the first as they were really honest ponies with a machine that really really works, until they decided to up and cheat not caring how their drink tastes as long as they win. That and trying to steal the Apples farm (again the only reason they did that was to give a sad scene, the Apples had “none zero reason” to give them their farm like they did and it’s one of my biggest issue with that episode) but here they dropped so low too low, selling a tonic saying it’ll do so much while it does nothing other than making you strong/healthy as apples normally do. Huh they could’ve just sold it as that come to think of it, but anyways I don’t hate the brothers I just can’t stand them.

Also guessing my fear of “they’ll return someday to reclaim the farm as the Apples STUPID FREAKERS gave them it for no reason at all” won’t happen at least anytime soon, I always thought if they did return the farm would be involved as...well the Apples never really regain the ownership as the brothers just upped and left, altho they should still be the owners as should be a deed or something around. Anyways moral was pretty good I guess animation was nice and overall guess it was an OK episode and an alright well thought out key episode that fits AJ, even tho the key is the less creative yet really I’m expecting her to lose it. XD

Overall it’s nice not one I’ll revisit often but it wasn’t as bad as I feared, if you enjoy the brothers you’ll love it but as I don’t it was “meh” and “UUUGGGHHHHH!!!!” for me, I really did say “oh dear God no not another song…” when they started singing. XD Now all we need is Gilda to return for rival characters (Lightning Dust as well as Babs are still a little new) to be completed, heard the Equestria Games is coming up in a few episodes so hoping Gilda will appear there. Anyways see you all in the next episode!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:02:31 AM by Speedy »

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

April 03, 2014, 10:17:58 AM
Reply #105

April 03, 2014, 07:06:02 PM
Reply #106